loss of engagement

+

Guest 3847602

Of course play count matters, even in single play games that have no online features. Why bother updating a game, or releasing new content if no-one is playing your game? Player count matters to devs/publishers.
But, Cyberpunk's numbers are not dramatically low for anyone to deduce that abandoning the game is a better alternative. They've reaffirmed their intention (multiple times) to release all planned free DLCs and 2 expansions. They're not going to keep updating this game forever, even if the number of concurrent players is 5 times higher.
I don't use GOG, but out of curiosity, what are CP77's player count over there?
No official data available, but you should take into consideration that collector's edition and standard physical edition comes with GOG activation code.
In TW3 days, more people played the game on GOG than on steam.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-people-playing-witcher-3-on-gog-than-on-steam/1100-6428013/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, the "problem" with CP77 is the fact, that a lot of things in the Game looks like these are initially implemented but not yet in a finalized state (Tram-/Train-/Metro-system, Housing, Food&Drink, Street-Traffic/Driving Vehicles, some of the Story-/Side-Quests,...)

Its true, it is possible by all means to play the Game with al lot of "enjoyment" (just in my case) even for more then one single "play-through", BUT always and everywhere in this "Ingameworld", impressions of "incomplete", "unfinished" or at least "interrupted"(by the delivery-Milestone) Implementation of Gameplay-Elements and -Parts are always present. So for many "Fans" a certain "feeling" is omnipresent all the time while playing, that there will/should be more to come in the near(?) Future, at least some of the many different "open Things" (as mentioned above) have to be properly finished then.
I think, these are the "Main Concerns" of most Complaints about the current Situation with CDPR and CP2077, resulting in a lot of threads about "Dead of the Game", "Worrying" or "Disappointment" with the Game itself, the Communication (or the absence of...) from CDPR in this matter and so on...

But, Cyberpunk's numbers are not dramatically low for anyone to deduce that abandoning the game is a better alternative. They've reaffirmed their intention (multiple times) to release all planned free DLCs and 2 expansions. They're not going to keep updating this game forever, even if the number of concurrent players is 5 times higher.

No official data available, but you should take into consideration that collector's edition and standard physical edition comes with GOG activation code.
In TW3 days, more people played the game on GOG than on steam.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-people-playing-witcher-3-on-gog-than-on-steam/1100-6428013/

Oddly, BORDERLANDS 2 is a fun counter example. They noted that the player base remained continuously engaged and kept releasing expansions for the base game well after they intended to because they were always scooped up by the fanbase. They only stopped making them when they were told it was literally impossible to update the game anymore.

I mean, we're unlikely to get CYBERPUNK 2077: AN ASSKICKING CHRISTMAS or CYBERPUNK 2077: THE CURSE OF THE GOBBLEWONKER like Borderlands 2 but it's theoretically possible.

1626866204208.png

I mean, fuck yes, give us a ski resort that's been taken over by the Maelstrom gang at the edge of the map on an artificial mountain. I'll fucking buy it.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

They only stopped making them when they were told it was literally impossible to update the game anymore.
On the other side, people have been telling the same thing to Paradox about Europa Universalis 4 for years, how the game is becoming bloated, how the codebase is outdated, how it's necessary to finally move to the new title and implement new ideas there. They didn't listen and ended up with the worst reviewed product on steam.
Back to CDPR, my guess is that something like that wouldn't happen, even in best-case scenario. They see the support for their games as finite and prefer to work on newer games after their plan for the current one is fulfilled. That's why TW3 got only 2 expansions even though they could've easily sold a few more. Interest was certainly there.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other side, people have telling the same thing to Paradox about Europa Universalis 4 for years, how the game is becoming bloated, how the codebase is outdated, how it's necessary to finally move to the new title and implement new ideas there. They didn't listen and ended up with the worst reviewed product on steam.
Back to CDPR, my guess is that something like that wouldn't happen, even in best-case scenario. They see the support for their games as finite and prefer to work on newer games after their plan for the current one is fulfilled. That's why TW3 got only 2 expansions even though they could've easily sold a few more. Interest was certainly there.

You're both correct and I feel "ehhh" about that point with TW3.

BLOOD AND WINE is pretty unique as expansions go because it's more or less an entirely new game. Its about 20 hours in length. The Witcher 3.5 if you will.

So "only" two expansions doesn't quite cover it.

Last edited:

Plans can change, but hopefully these ones will not.

Additionally, perhaps Patch 1.3 will bring back more players again, and if its a good patch with things that people want, then maybe these people will stay? :shrug:

1626877078294.png

It's interesting that people bring up things like "its not an MMO" or "It's not a live service game" or suggest that just because it has a story, once people have completed the story, then its natural that they will drop the game.

To counter that slightly, are we forgetting that Skyrim exists? It too has no online features, no multiplayer or live service. Its definetly got a lot of mods, and that is no doubt to why its still popular. Perhaps CDPR need to get a full modding tools out there so the modders can swoop in and get to work making some big mods?

But in numbers, just having a look at Steam only;

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (2016)
Players in-game 19,900

Cyberpunk 2077 (2020)
Players in-game 7,202

But to balance the scales, there are people who only play the standard Skyrim edition (2011), and there's only about 4,344 in-game. On the flip side, perhaps that number should be added to the other version too since it's still the same game? So in total, on Steam that would make 24,244 players in-game. Again, that's probably more to do with available mods and the easy of use of the Steam Workshop.

To add another game that has no online features (might have a leader board, cant remember?), and isn't a live service either;

Euro Truck Simulator (2012)
Players in-game 14,311

And none of those games are new, so its more dedicated players playing at this point.
To be completely fair these aren't really apples to apples comparisons. Skyrim is legitimately a masterpiece of open world design. I'm not sure I can think of any other game that conveys either the sense of scale or the density/life of the world contained in it, and I know I've never encountered one that did both. Add in modding and that both huge and full world now feels dynamic and changing, it almost becomes more of a fantasy world simulator than an RPG. Then Euro Truck Simulator is actually a simulator game not a linear story based RPG, they are just engaged with differently.

I'm not saying CP2077 needs to have a bigger, more dynamic, fuller world to be a great game, I loved the story, the characters, and progressing through the intended narrative, but I think unstructured, open, but purposeful play is the secret sauce for the near endless playability this thread is looking for.

I get what you mean. If there was a game that covered my job, there isn't a chance in hell that I'd play it as I'd be too annoyed at all the bits that they've got wrong or don't understand :LOL:

Also, yeah reversing with a trailer, very hard in the game, and I'm rubbish at it, so I think I'll leave that sort of thing to better people in real life!
Post automatically merged:

Not "better people," just people with a different skill set. It just takes practice, like most things in life.

I can drive them, but if it stops working and the fuel reader doesn't say "empty," I'm fucked.

I probably couldn't do your job either. At least not the way you can, being practiced at it, and maybe it requires study to even get started.

yes, I agree
Witcher 3 had more support
cyberpunk was released unfinished
and once you complete the main story you feel empty and it's almost pointless to continue to do something
I did some gigs, some exploration, but the game world does not feel so alive as before and the bugs are still there
Hopefully the next updates and dlc's will make it more engaging, more alive
like you get a little more involved in this game world and there are nice rewards, outcomes,
but now feels empty
environment design is great
but it's repetitive and/or empty

I was overhyped too but when I saw the E32018 trailer, the change was too big from the 2012 teaser and expectations dropped and after I completed the prologues expectations dropped even more and after the main story emptyness remains
Johnny Silverhand should have been a DLC or a character in an expansion, unpopular opinion I know, but, I think this game should have been focused on itself

Im no game developer myself but I don't think this game can be fixed with patches, patches can't replace years of development
some youtube videos show that the dlc's are already in the game,
even if the expansions are super great, the base is way too buggy

feels like they tested the main story and released it ( and didn't tested it enoguh, i found gamebreaking bugs)
like that chapter of The Simpsons when Bart breaks Grandpa's Teeths and wraps it up with duct tape
devs are Bart, Theeth is game and players is Grandpa and Homer and Marge is release date

You're both correct and I feel "ehhh" about that point with TW3.

BLOOD AND WINE is pretty unique as expansions go because it's more or less an entirely new game. Its about 20 hours in length. The Witcher 3.5 if you will.

So "only" two expansions doesn't quite cover it.
I just don't see current CDPR being able to do it's own older self's work - Witcher 3 Blood and Wine or Hearts of Stone...

Blood and Wine was an absolute blast that in the end hit me with the bitter-sweet reality of finally putting the game down, which speaks volumes of how much I was consumed by the game.... And JEEEZ Blood and Wine was a whole new place with your own whole new place, things to collect, station to experiment, moooooore great story that permanently places characters in the world (as if you made an impact), so many choices that make you reload saves and The armor OH SWEET LORD. It was all so great that now I'm just bitter with lingering hope, checking forums every day. Hurts to be like this.

So in short - I agree with your statement. :D

Guest 3847602

I just don't see current CDPR being able to do it's own older self's work - Witcher 3 Blood and Wine or Hearts of Stone...

Blood and Wine was an absolute blast that in the end hit me with the bitter-sweet reality of finally putting the game down, which speaks volumes of how much I was consumed by the game.... And JEEEZ Blood and Wine was a whole new place with your own whole new place, things to collect, station to experiment, moooooore great story that permanently places characters in the world (as if you made an impact), so many choices that make you reload saves and The armor OH SWEET LORD. It was all so great that now I'm just bitter with lingering hope, checking forums every day. Hurts to be like this.

So in short - I agree with your statement. :D
I'm probably in the minority here, but, for me, HoS >>> BaW.
I'm the "story first" type and HoS tells a vastly superior story, it's not even close. Which isn't to say that BaW isn't a great value for money, of course.

This game has no replay-ability, and no amount of mods will fix that.
Barely any combat.
Barely any dialogue options.
No character development.
Entire quest lines involving no combat at all.
Only three "boss fights" in the entire game.

This game is great the first time you play it and on second or third play-through you realize it's just a slightly interactive movie about Johnny Silverhand.

If this game is supposed to stay alive it needs more action and more interaction. RPGs have understood that for a long time. Even CDPR's own Witcher series understood that. :giveup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom