lost games 0:2 with at least 13 played cards by losing player, should give him 1 crown

+
I feel like i should elaborate some more on why i think this is a good idea, thing is with the latest patch it is becoming a legit and somewhat frequent strategy to try and go for the 2-0 at all costs when facing or playing some decks, like the new leader-like devotion cards (auberon, harald, eithne ect.) since theyre the strongest in round 3 and often it really is the best strategy to not let the opponent use the full potential of these cards. Then we have veterans, the new ciri nova with resilience, and then the other resilience cards like the currently somewhat popular dwarves. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the new expansion and I really do think that the game is in a great spot right now and I do want to encourage the devs to continue on exploring in this or any other direction they like because theyre doing a damn fine job at it. All I'm saying is that even if not currently, sometimes in the future it will be a legit frustration for some part of the playerbase when they will be making literally 0 progress thanks to the prevalence of such cards and it really should be on the radar for the devs if they're thinking about making more of these cards, which, again I dont think is a bad idea, I love these cards :D.
But yeah silly quests are kind of a factor too but not the main reason I would have started with.

nehu

Forum regular
there are plenty reasons, i picked just one, which should be understable for anyone

@nehu

Absolutely not. for reasons others have explained to you but you refuse to accept as FACT so there is no reason for me to explain further as well.

Traps are artifacts, and you can make a trap deck that can win 1 round in casual or seasonal mode and play 5 to 7 artifacts/traps a game.

I play my artifact trap deck with Invigorate, Ciri Nova, and the movement sub package because it's GO BIG OR GO HOME, baby.

1 out of 4 games I lost 0:2, but usually those are to people playing Tier 1 and 2 decks off ladder. (Save for ethereal decks, which an unanswered Malena and crushing trap handle easily.)

That said, even playing that deck I wouldn't want a free round for having a losing streak. Learn to play better from your losses and set backs or wait for non scenario artifacts to be good again.

nehu

Forum regular
That said, even playing that deck I wouldn't want a free round for having a losing streak. Learn to play better from your losses and set backs or wait for non scenario artifacts to be good again.

I dont need any mentoring

traps are of the most useless cards in game, u hardly get more points than its their cost out of them, u cant mostly aim them, not activated trap no points at all

especially after master mirror expansion, traps are just garbage

Absolutely not. for reasons others have explained to you but you refuse to accept as FACT so there is no reason for me to explain further as well.

i only refuse to accept, that quests are alright, as they are not

dont mix up feelings and facts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i believe, there should be motivation (positive motivation, not negative, as somebody mentioned there shouldnt be any reward for lost game) to play the game in proper way

proper way means that players are trying to win each game

especially during journey, there are many quest "hunters", who are ruining game not only for them, but for others

last tuesday i played like 10 games and only one opponent played seriously, most of them forfeited prematurely -> horrible, 9/10 games were pointless

i know my suggestion could look strange, but for example in FIBA tournaments, losing team got 1 point, winning 2 points, forfeiting 0, to motivate teams not to forfeit games, which is quite similar

Last edited:
Personally I get great satisfaction from playing a sub optimal deck (Neutrals generally) and managing to win a match. Usually I imagine my opponent spends a round and a half trying to figure out my non existent strategy so as to counter it. Hopefully one of these days someone WILL figure out my strategy and explain it to me. I may only win 1 out of 4 or 5 but that one makes it worth while for me especially since the round scores generally read 7-5, 0-4, 9-5
A lot of these complaints seem to stem from the direction of "players wasting MY time / dont play how I want them to", but you got to remember, whomever youre playing isnt playing for YOUR enjoyment and as long as they play within the rules are quite entitled to bury you in artifacts, or drive you demented with traps (a personal peeve, but its part of the game), and take their occasional round and XP

A lot of these complaints seem to stem from the direction of "players wasting MY time / dont play how I want them to", but you got to remember, whomever youre playing isnt playing for YOUR enjoyment and as long as they play within the rules are quite entitled to bury you in artifacts, or drive you demented with traps (a personal peeve, but its part of the game), and take their occasional round and XP

If i could give you infinite red points for that comment I would . I wish more people who post whiny rants repairing people not playing the way they think they should would realize that the op and the game there to entertain them.

If they can't find enjoyment out of just playing the game regardless of outcome that is a problem with them not the op or the game or the devs,

I personally have no problem with people who use the forfeit button. However i do think people who "disconnect:" when things aren't going their way are immature childish poor sports.

I personally have no problem with people who use the forfeit button. However i do think people who "disconnect:" when things aren't going their way are immature childish poor sports.

Be careful with your assumptions. I almost never forfeit (I think passing is more courteous as opponents can still play cards to complete contracts). I might forfeit if I get interrupted, but more often I disconnect. Since I play on a cell phone, an incoming call, if answered, gives a temporary disconnect. And I don’t know whether it will be a 10 second or five minute interruption until I answer. Other times, I get an interruption that won’t wait the 10 or 15 seconds it takes to wade through two menus to find the forfeit option — but I can hit my phone off button in a second — and then return later to give a good game.

Obviously there will be times where life interferes with our gaming, and these rude interruptions will invariably lead to the occasional forfeit via disconnect. I think what luvCiriTrissYen is talking about is the large percentage of these "interuptions" that seem to happen on a last card play, or the instant it becomes obvious you are going to win and theres not a darned thing your opponent can do about it.
I've played 6 matches today, and in 2 have had to wait though a last card disconnect because I dont know if I disconnect too if I will get the win and 2 half crowns or it will become a draw because both players disconnected. Any disconnects that happen mid game I treat as life happening to my opponant. Any that happen on last card/winning card I treat as my opponent having a snit.

Makes no sense honestly. In that case playing 13 cards and forfeiting would hand you a crown. Kinda defeats the purpose to actually try and win at least 1 round.

They should just revamp the way quests work and make it more player friendly. I think they tend to forget way too much that new players have a super hard time getting into this game. They will see tons of quests and journey quests, and seasonal quests that they cannot complete, losing out on resources, while those players still need the most resources.

Though I get they want to keep the hardcore players going, keeping those challenged & active. As important as the competitive side is, I do think they should keep in mind the beginners, it's hardly anywhere near good when you start out honestly.

I no longer tend to have troubles with quest mostly. My biggest struggle at the moment is keeping my decks valid. Nerf after nerf just kinda ruins things as well. I get why it is needed, but having to re-do the 3 decks I just build gets way to tedious.

I'm seeing more and more players picking the strategy of going HARD for a 2-0 win, which is quite annoying since it just feels like you're being punished for even trying to play against some matchups which you know you won't have a chance of winning against. Also there's the issue of not getting anywhere when trying to progress towards rewards or journey goals. To me this has been an issue for a while and I've decided to make a thread about it again since I feel this is getting more and more prevalent and annoying in game.

inb4 you're bad git gud - Ok buddy(ies), I personally don't believe that a player should feel bad for sucking at a game. Encourage participation!

Anyways post your thoughts. Have a good day.

I've decided to make a thread about it again
And I've decided to merge your thread with an existing one.

My stance is still the same as it was last year: there is no need to award crowns for losing 2-0 because it's not consistently difficult to win one round (unless you're playing a garbage deck for a quest or something, but that's on you), and because you always get experience for matches regardless of the result so there's always a reward for playing a match.

Everyone loses 2-0 sometimes. It's part of the game.

Guest 4375874

I'm seeing more and more players picking the strategy of going HARD for a 2-0 win, which is quite annoying since it just feels like you're being punished for even trying to play against some matchups which you know you won't have a chance of winning against. Also there's the issue of not getting anywhere when trying to progress towards rewards or journey goals. To me this has been an issue for a while and I've decided to make a thread about it again since I feel this is getting more and more prevalent and annoying in game.

inb4 you're bad git gud - Ok buddy(ies), I personally don't believe that a player should feel bad for sucking at a game. Encourage participation!

Anyways post your thoughts. Have a good day.
that's pretty much the game now, win R1 and Bleed R2. It's that way because there are literally individual cards that can carry an entire round so you either have an answer for it or you may as well forfeit. Otherwise there's not much point going into R2. Right now most of my matches never get to R3 because you know who the winner will be by R2 based on what cards they have played or haven't played.

Since the devs have made it a tutor free for all there's no chance your opponent won't draw what they need so the game has never been more binary and short. You would think devs should WANT players to continue playing round after round but their direction is achieving the opposite.

And I've decided to merge your thread with an existing one.

My stance is still the same as it was last year: there is no need to award crowns for losing 2-0 because it's not consistently difficult to win one round (unless you're playing a garbage deck for a quest or something, but that's on you), and because you always get experience for matches regardless of the result

I disagree. There are currently multiple decks (Viy being the worst offender) designed specifically to 2-0 an opponent — and rewards from experience are very slow to amount to much. The beauty of the crown system was the ability to progress without winning (and those who struggle to win need to progress more than those who do not). Unfortunately, earning even one crown has become much harder.

I am especially critical of decks playing for 2-0 in casual. But it is an important part of the game to be able to push round 2 (and 2-0 an opponent if they don’t respect that possibility). I know I would feel less guilty about playing certain decks and aggressively pushing round 2 when appropriate if I knew my opponent would not be punished as a consequence.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

I disagree. There are currently multiple decks (Viy being the worst offender) designed specifically to 2-0 an opponent — and rewards from experience are very slow to amount to much. The beauty of the crown system was the ability to progress without winning (and those who struggle to win need to progress more than those who do not). Unfortunately, earning even one crown has become much harder.

I am especially critical of decks playing for 2-0 in casual. But it is an important part of the game to be able to push round 2 (and 2-0 an opponent if they don’t respect that possibility). I know I would feel guilty about playing certain decks and aggressively pushing round 2 when appropriate if I knew my opponent would not be punished as a consequence.
I would agree with you BEFORE the devs began encouraging tutoring and echo tutors but not now. There should be risk on both sides if you decide to push. Now you can just focus on removal and your opponent will be forced to play his entire hand while you wipe the board. So all this does is encourage players to go unitless

There are currently multiple decks (Viy being the worst offender) designed specifically to 2-0 an opponent

I think this is irrelevant, and not a justification for changing the system. Tech against such decks if they're an issue, or play stronger decks -- but changing the system is not the way, especially when it would also open up a way to abuse the changed system by farming crowns without even trying to win anything.

If you're constantly losing 2-0 then you should change something about either your decks or gameplans. If you're not constantly losing 2-0 then there is no real issue because, like I said, everyone loses 2-0 sometimes.

This is a non-issue.

I think this is irrelevant, and not a justification for changing the system. Tech against such decks if they're an issue, or play stronger decks -- but changing the system is not the way, especially when it would also open up a way to abuse the changed system by farming crowns without even trying to win anything.

If you're constantly losing 2-0 then you should change something about either your decks or gameplans. If you're not constantly losing 2-0 then there is no real issue because, like I said, everyone loses 2-0 sometimes.

This is a non-issue.
Based upon your response, I doubt I will persuade you to reconsider this position, but let me try.

First, you have made a number of assumptions that I believe are faulty:
1. That frequently losing 2-0 is the fault of the deck or player. The last two expansions have introduced a large number of high value cards. These cards allow a player who draws well to frequently win rounds — even when down cards. Thus winning 2-0 is easier than ever. These cards are often game winners in round 3, so players are more likely to feel a need to bleed rather than dry pass in round — creating more 2-0 opportunities.
2. If a player frequently loses 2-0, all they need to do is tech against bad matchups or play better decks. At best, this is possible only if the players owns the cards necessary to do so — and acquiring cards demands resources one cannot gain while being constantly beaten 2-0.
3. That granting a crown point when a person loses 2-0 despite playing his full hand will promote abuse and “farming” rewards. It is clearly more efficient to try to win two crowns in a 16 card, three round match than to win one crown in a 13 card, two round game — this is not the same as forfeiting after playing one card to collect gg rewards.
4. That players who create “trash” decks to complete quests will significantly benefit from this change. I do have special decks to quickly play cards, neutral cards, units, special cards, and artifacts. Except for the special card deck, I probably have a win rate of 40% with these, and 2-0 losses are no more frequent than with a “good” deck. On the other hand, my junky special card quest deck almost never gets 2-0ed. It is so bad most players are content to pass round one when it is apparent I will go down two or three cards to win it.
5. That the only legitimate reason to play is to be maximally competitive about winning. I often play weaker decks. Sometimes I want to try never-used cards; sometimes I want a playful deck theme; sometimes I want to play art I like; sometimes I set silly challenges for myself (e.g. how tall can I make a peasant militia unit get); sometimes I just don’t want to stress myself with an expectation of winning. Is it really appropriate to malign these choices as “resource farming”?

Second, I believe it is appropriate to use rewards as enticements for desired player behavior. By rewarding players, even when they lose 2-0 — provided it is a complete game — developers help weaker players become more competitive by granting resources necessary for that; developers encourage complete games rather than quick forfeits when games appear hopeless due to draw or matchup; developers encourage use of off-meta decks rather than placing high premium on absolute best success rate. To me there are only positive signal such a policy would send.

I don't think it's fair to waste other people time playing quest decks. If you're bothers by them, why play them?

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to waste other people time playing quest decks. If you're bothers by them, why play them?
I like quest decks. They pose new challenges, allow interesting exploration of different decks and cards, and they become a type of game themselves.

What if I said I don’t think it’s fair to waste other people’s time by playing the same old hackneyed deck we’ve all seen dozens of times? At least you can escape quest decks by not playing unranked; there is no escaping the boring net decks.

Top Bottom