Low CPU/GPU usage - still low fps.

+
I'm trying to play The Witcher 3 on 3840×2160 Ultra Settings. Game won't go higher than 45 fps even though both CPU and GPU are on <60% usage. Even disabling hairworks and vsync only adds about 3-5 fps. I overclocked my CPU frequency to 5200 MHz and it didn't add a single fps. Specs & benchmark:

UserBenchmarks: Game 114%, Desk 101%, Work 84%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K - 118%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 (gaming x) - 123.7%
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB - 81.2%
HDD: Samsung HD103SM 1TB - 76.1%
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2013) - 86.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 61%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

Well, 4k is very very demanding so framerates around 40 seem pretty good to me.

You can try to close every non essential background apps and see if that improves anything, but in general I wouldn‘t worry about those numbers.

^ This.

There is no current-gen hardware that can run TW3 at 4K with Ultra settings that I know of. The 1080 is not built for that, really. For now, I'd recommend sticking to older games if you'd like to run in 2K/4K if you're looking for smooth performance as well.

Overclocking does not cooperate with the game very well. Different systems will get different results. Works well for some, does nothing for the next, and introduces problems for others. I'd recommend just disabling it for TW3. It's not a game that was built for "blazing speed".

Also, that overclock is reaching into the red zone. That's a great way to fry your PC in a matter of hours unless you have insane cooling. Even with insane cooling, such a drastic OC will probably take years off the lifetime of the CPU. I'd watch the heat levels like a hawk and ensure that the voltage is remaining constant at those levels.

Top Bottom