Low FPS no matter what the settings are

+
Again, thanks for trying to help but I believe that you are missing the point entirely here and don't seem to understand what's actually going on.

I'll try to explain. The fact that you are seeing low GPU utilization in my screenshot is exclusively due to the fact that the CPU is not able to "feed" data fast enough to the GPU due to not distributing the "load" across all threads. As mentioned multiple times before, I have tested the game without the frequency cap (meaning: unlocked at 4.7 GHz) and the same situation occurs.

Please stop trying to help me because you will not be able to due to the reasons I have already explained. Also, my PC is working perfectly fine.

Additionally, and I'm not trying to insult you in any way, but you don't seem to be knowledgeable enough to educate me (a computer guy) on how games work across different configurations.

Lastly, please understand that what I'm describing is something that actually occurs on AMD CPUs, and as I've said, it might not be fixable. All I'm doing here is trying to bring back this matter to the table, so hopefully the devs can help and improve performance (if it's possible).

Cheers.
Post automatically merged:

Hey guys,

After trying what Notserious80 suggested (the mod), I am now able to run the game while utilizing all cores and threads more evenly. This means that it's possible to fix the "issue", and that what I was talking about earlier seems to be correct (the fact that the game is not running properly on AMD CPUs).

I'll add a screenshot showing my CPU usage with the mod. This is with the Ultra RT Preset at 1440P and DLSS on auto (which I believe is balanced).

Lastly, and although I was able to fix this issue, I believe that this is something that the dev team should address.

IMO the game is pretty good, and being able to run it properly will only improve the experience.

Cheers,

Attachments

• CB SMT FIX MOD.jpg
    CB SMT FIX MOD.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
weird they said they applyed the smt fix in the game alot of patches ago. Guess thats why i never saw your usage as a problem since i dident see it in game myself. Even tested your settings at the same spot but my usage was not weird. Could it be something with just the 8 core models? to get that fps you hade i hade to turn off DLSS totaly to even get close but never saw the drop in gpu usage below 90% at the lowest.

weird they said they applyed the smt fix in the game alot of patches ago. Guess thats why i never saw your usage as a problem since i dident see it in game myself. Even tested your settings at the same spot but my usage was not weird. Could it be something with just the 8 core models? to get that fps you hade i hade to turn off DLSS totaly to even get close but never saw the drop in gpu usage below 90% at the lowest.
I'm not sure if this is an oversight or if it's intended, but it is weird indeed.

I've also uploaded a video showing the fix in action ->

DC9V

Forum veteran
I'm honestly surprised that this works. I remember reading a lot of comments that the smt fix didn't do anything, and I thought patch 1.05 had fixed the issue, making the mod unnecessary. Anyway, I'm glad that you found a solution!

Thanks! I'm glad that this fix helped, but I'd still like the dev team to implement an official fix :)

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hi again,
I just tried to mimic a 5800x by disabling one entire CPU-die, which cuts the amount of cores in half. Then I enabled SMT in the BIOS to see if it makes any difference to my usual 16 cores.

The GPU usage was indeed a bit low, with a minimum of 77% and approx 80% on average, when using the RT_Ultra preset.
However, by disabling RT shadows, I was able to see up to 98% GPU usage.
When using all 16 cores without SMT, I get similar results, but the overall performance is slightly better.

You can click on the pictures to see a video.

My conclusion is that the issue gets emphasized when RT shadows are enabled, but the player should still be able to see approx 80% GPU usage on average, and at least 90% on average when RT_shadows are disabled.

VIDEO 8 cores_.jpg (SMT)

VIDEO 16 cores_.jpg (No SMT)

Ryzen 5950X
rtx 3090
4x8gb ddr4 3600
x570: fclk 1800
FPS limit: 360

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that you were able to verify the issue on your own.

I would also like to add that Ray Tracing effects have an impact on your CPU and GPU in all games, as it requires very complex algorithms (which need to be processed by the CPU).

Now that I've tested the fix extensively and know that the issue can be resolved, I'm only hoping that CDPR can address this issue on a future patch so we can properly enjoy their awesome game.

Top Bottom