Low GPU utilization

+
Specs:
CPU: 5600x (PBO2 tuned)
GPU: 1080 TI (OC 2100MHz)
RAM: 3600cl14 (14-15-15-31-46)

This issue began following patch 1.2. My FPS has been halved and my GPU tops out at about 79%. Most GPU intense games and benchmarks get me up to 120%. I'm getting FPS as low as 31 on lowest settings.

It is necessary to have good GPU that run your gaming smoothly and make the graphics more accurate and vivid. The best platform for it is Tech consumption to read the information

Last edited:
It is necessary to have good GPU that run your gaming smoothly and make the graphics more accurate and vivid. The best platform for it is Tech consumption to read the information
Even with the most powerful GPU available, the GPU usage should be at least 85% when playing Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:

Forum regular
Even with the most powerful GPU available, the GPU usage should be at least 85% when playing Cyberpunk 2077, and this probably won't change within the next five years.
Depending on graphic settings. I run cyberpunk bellow that 85%. I just have raytracing disabled, playing in 3K and ultra details and enabled FSR to max quality. GPU load is about 70% and FPS are locked to 60 max.

Depending on graphic settings. I run cyberpunk bellow that 85%. I just have raytracing disabled, playing in 3K and ultra details and enabled FSR to max quality. GPU load is about 70% and FPS are locked to 60 max.
This sounds pretty accurate. It obviously depends on your settings.

Last edited:

Forum regular
i had FPS drops in certain areas (for example market in the city center) and I thought its problem of cyberpunk. I bought newer CPU in hope it will help, cos my previous CPU Ryzen 7 2700x was kinda obsolete for Radeon Rx 6800 XT. And it didn't help. Now I know it isn't problem just in cyberpunk. I have similar FPS drops even in GTA 5. I have almost fresh OS installation (I installed windows 11 pro one or two months back). Latest drivers installed... and look what it does...

Translated:
FPS
GPU usage
GPU Power
GPU temp
GPU fan rpm
VRAM usage (from 16GB available)
RAM usage (from 32GB available)
CPU usage
CPU temp
CPU power

IMG_0385.jpeg

System specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
32GB RAM
Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Windows 11 Pro
System and game is on NVMe SSD (pagefile disabled)

Anyone else with similar problems? Some months ago, before I started to play cyberpunk, I played latest Forza Horizon 5 and I had stable 60 FPS on maximum graphic details and never had any FPS drop.

With such a low utilization of GPU and CPU, something seems to be wrong. Are all drivers really up-to-date? Chipset too? Is the BIOS of the motherboard up-to-date?

i had FPS drops in certain areas (for example market in the city center) and I thought its problem of cyberpunk. I bought newer CPU in hope it will help, cos my previous CPU Ryzen 7 2700x was kinda obsolete for Radeon Rx 6800 XT. And it didn't help. Now I know it isn't problem just in cyberpunk. I have similar FPS drops even in GTA 5. I have almost fresh OS installation (I installed windows 11 pro one or two months back). Latest drivers installed... and look what it does...

Translated:
FPS
GPU usage
GPU Power
GPU temp
GPU fan rpm
VRAM usage (from 16GB available)
RAM usage (from 32GB available)
CPU usage
CPU temp
CPU power

System specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
32GB RAM
Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Windows 11 Pro
System and game is on NVMe SSD (pagefile disabled)

Anyone else with similar problems? Some months ago, before I started to play cyberpunk, I played latest Forza Horizon 5 and I had stable 60 FPS on maximum graphic details and never had any FPS drop.
If you havent try using the mod CET and enable AMD smt fix. Seems something is limiting the usage in some odd way.. does it stay like that or is it just 1-2 sec "lagg" every now and then? Disabled all overlays and it still happends? What PSU you got?

@83427 What exactly are your system specs? (most importantly motherboard and GPU)
With such a low utilization of GPU and CPU, something seems to be wrong. Are all drivers really up-to-date? Chipset too? Is the BIOS of the motherboard up-to-date?
My guess is that it's caused by some weird powerplan settings (Windows CPU power plan, ASUS AI Suite, Nvidia Control Panel, etc) but it could also be some outdated or corrupted BIOS settings, indeed.

Thanks for the tips, i will try something…

Cyberengine and SMT fix is enabled in cyberpunk, but this happens even in GTA 5. With max details but still…. Hardware load is 1/3 to 1/2, so why the hell it doesnt use it more to have 60 FPS like in other 90% of gameplay? Temperature isnt problem. This Ryzens are set to operate up to 90°C. CPU has about 80°C in maximum load and all cores run at 4.67GHz.

i already tried to set highest priority to the game process, of course it didnt change anything (i never had to use this in any game on any multicore processor)
PSU is 650W 80+ Gold Chieftec. I never had similar drops before, so i guess it could be problem of Win11… maybe some power plan, who knows…
Mobo is 2 years old Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (bought it with Ryzen 7 2700x), BIOS is 3 months old (F63 from february 2022)… It has added support for Ryzen 5000 processors and Resizeable BAR (i have this feature disabled because of macOS - doesnt boot). Above 4G decoding is enabled.

So, what to try? (edited)
Newer BIOS version? (only added support for 5800x3D and newer agesa version, i dont think it will solve anything)
Newer chipset drivers (downloaded, lets try...)
Set Windows power plan to max (was set to balanced, changed to max power, lets try...)

Last edited:
and newer agesa version, i dont think it will solve anything
Thinking is not knowledge ;-).

What else comes to mind: The power supply is not known to me. At least here in Germany it does not play a significant role in terms of tests, recommendations and sales. Seasonic, Be quiet! and Corsair dominate here. Do you have a link to technical specifications?

Why I ask: 5800X and 6800XT together consume a maximum of about 500 watts. Add to that the power requirements of the rest of the components, mainly motherboard and memory. The current generation of CPUs and GPUs regulate their power requirements insanely fast, creating load peaks in the millisecond range, sometimes well above the general maximum.

Older power supplies or those with weaker equipment can have problems with this.

This doesn't have to have anything to do with your problems. But when choosing a power supply, I would always look for the appropriate quality.

Last edited:
You dont know Chieftec brand? its brand from Germany :-D They had very popular big tower cases about Y2K:

51DbtKYOygL._AC_.jpg

I have this PSU for years. I used it for testing some graphic cards in the past. Even with RTX 2080 Ti and Gigabyte Rx 6800 XT (its reason why i later bought the same card). I think its more software problem than hardware. CPU power consumption is in full load 105W (Tested with prime 95) and GPU takes about 265W in full load. Its 370W for both. Anyway its important to know, that i had low FPS with low GPU and CPU load even on low graphics settings and low resolution.

Updating of drivers and power plan set to max power didnt help.

But i discovered two strange things. When i switch GTA 5 into windowed mode, GPU load is doubled. When i ran cyberpunk and set graphics preset to raytracing ultra, i passed the benchmark with stable 60FPS. then i loaded the game from last save and i had stable 60 FPS with GPU load about 80%. So i presssed esc to enter menu, disabled FSR and FPS dropped to the half. But when i again opened the menu and set FSR back to high quality like before, i had only about 30FPS in the same place and view where i had 60FPS with 80% GPU load before.
Post automatically merged:

even after restart i have only about 30 FPS in benchamark on the same settings :(

First pass with 60FPS:
{
"RootType": "worldBenchmarkSummary",
"Data": {
"gameVersion": "1.52",
"benchmarkName": "base\\streaming\\test\\benchmark\\benchmark.gamedef",
"gpuName": "AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT",
"gpuMemory": 16338,
"gpuDriverVersion": "Radeon software 22.5.1, driver package 21.50.21.11...#<truncated>#",
"cpuName": "AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor ",
"systemMemory": 32768,
"osName": "Windows 11 Pro",
"osVersion": "10.0.22000",
"presetName": "RayTracingUltra",
"presetLocalizedName": "UI-Settings-Video-QualitySetting-RayTracingUltra",
"renderWidth": 2560,
"renderHeight": 1440,
"windowed": false,
"verticalSync": true,
"averageFps": 59.54661560058594,
"minFps": 32.88737869262695,
"maxFps": 159.87466430664063,
"time": 64.23538970947266,
"frameNumber": 3825,
"DLSSEnabled": false,
"DLSSQuality": 0,
"DLSSSharpness": 0.0,
"CASSharpeningEnabled": true,
"FSREnabled": true,
"FSRQuality": 2,
"DRSEnabled": false
}
}

Second with only 30FPS:
{
"gpuMemory": 16338,
"gpuDriverVersion": "Radeon software 22.5.1, driver package 21.50.21.11...#<truncated>#",
"presetName": "RayTracingUltra",
"presetLocalizedName": "UI-Settings-Video-QualitySetting-RayTracingUltra",
"averageFps": 34.86518478393555,
"minFps": 23.921728134155275,
"maxFps": 49.26690673828125,
"time": 64.21878814697266,
"frameNumber": 2239,
}
}

both benchmark results attached

Attachments

• benchmark_2022-05-15_11-30-35.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 24
  • benchmark_2022-05-15_11-52-44.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You dont know Chieftec brand? its brand from Germany :-D They had very popular big tower cases about Y2K:

View attachment 11304751

I have this PSU for years. I used it for testing some graphic cards in the past. Even with RTX 2080 Ti and Gigabyte Rx 6800 XT (its reason why i later bought the same card). I think its more software problem than hardware. CPU power consumption is in full load 105W (Tested with prime 95) and GPU takes about 265W in full load. Its 370W for both. Anyway its important to know, that i had low FPS with low GPU and CPU load even on low graphics settings and low resolution.

Updating of drivers and power plan set to max power didnt help.

But i discovered two strange things. When i switch GTA 5 into windowed mode, GPU load is doubled. When i ran cyberpunk and set graphics preset to raytracing ultra, i passed the benchmark with stable 60FPS. then i loaded the game from last save and i had stable 60 FPS with GPU load about 80%. So i presssed esc to enter menu, disabled FSR and FPS dropped to the half. But when i again opened the menu and set FSR back to high quality like before, i had only about 30FPS in the same place and view where i had 60FPS with 80% GPU load before.

even after restart i have only about 30 FPS in benchamark on the same settings :(
Is it locked 30 fps or is it struggeling so hard its average 30 fps. sadly the min/max fps in cp2077s benchmark can be really really missleading.
Edit Nvm im an idiot, saw now the average and frames rendered. What happends if you turn off RT completely?

Is it locked 30 fps or is it struggeling so hard its average 30 fps. sadly the min/max fps in cp2077s benchmark can be really really missleading.
Edit Nvm im an idiot, saw now the average and frames rendered. What happends if you turn off RT completely?
nope its locked to 60. Via both vsync and framerate lock. BTW my BIOS version is the latest. I thought i have 63, but when i wanted to update it, i realized i have already 63d installed.

Here is benchmark with ultra preset (it should be the same like RT ultra but without RT):

{
"gpuMemory": 16337,
"presetName": "Ultra",
"presetLocalizedName": "UI-Settings-Video-QualitySetting-Ultra",
"averageFps": 59.91315460205078,
"minFps": 47.496009826660159,
"maxFps": 77.85433197021485,
"time": 64.24298858642578,
"frameNumber": 3849,
}
}

Attachments

• benchmark_2022-05-15_12-50-41.zip
    15 KB · Views: 17
Enable pagefile. I used too run into all kinda trouble with it disabled. Some games would not start, some would not load textures. The thing that made me realise what caused it was COD latest black ops (got it with my 3090 -.- would never buy it) that has shader cacheing and it would loop the cache. So from 5 gb vram too 24 gb vram and back and i could se the better quality textures load and unload :D was a big wtf moment for me...

Anyways really sounds like its some power limitations that gets triggered in some games. Im guessing you have done a DDU reinstall of amd drivers?

Yes, of course I still know Chieftec. But it's been more than two decades since I had a case from them. Today they hardly play a role here.

There are currently a few problems with RT. The FPS drops in certain scenes. After reloading the game, the framerates are o.k. again, only to collapse again a little later in another scene. I also opened a ticket to the support. Answer: "We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution." Let's hope they will be successful.

Most of the time I get a stable 50-80 FPS with RT Ultra, DLSS Balanced in WQHD, depending on the area. But every now and then it drops below 30 FPS. That is a bit annoying. (3700X, RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, WIN10).

You should easily reach a stable 60 FPS with your hardware, especially without RT.

Your not running that shit xbox bar thingy in the background? Some people have hade huge problems with it since its a hidden overlay pretty much.

Did a userbench too (man i need a new cpu and pci-e4.0). https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52607801 exept my awsome gamer score its kinda odd no dx11 test or dx 12? Also ran tests in window mode so that might be why you got better usage. Have you tested superposition, heaven or 3dmark?

Last edited:
i have only 8 FPS during this test. But why? GPU and CPU load is almost zero...
1652614780566.png

No, you dont need new CPU and PCIe 4.0. Wait for Ryzen 7000 and PCIe 5.0 if you want do do some upgrade :) (will be relased later this year)

nope, as far as i know i dont run any xbox bloatware or overlays. i just enable via hothey that system overlay whats integrated in AMD driver software (ctrl + shift + o) when needed. And it doesnt affect anything - i already tried on/off test and no difference.

Top Bottom