Ludonarrative dissonance

+
Easy to know :)
Rogue in Aldecaldos Temperance ending.
"Good luck out there, Johnny. And never come back to Night City"
For me, it don't sound like a threat, more like "don't come back, no one will miss you here."
Right time :
Not the same as Panam, who she want to find this fu..ing coward to "rip V out of his head" no matter where he's hidding (if V romance Panam).
Also at the right time :

So I don't think Johnny ask help to Rogue for leave Night City and maybe he will be caught at the border by Militech (a bus should be controlled I think) :)
Or maybe he have a L.O.A card with a big attachment :D
To me it does sound threatening from someone who is disgusted with him.
The message coupled with the bus scene don't contain the slightest hint that he's going to be caught and flogged by Militech at the border. That ending is clearly Johnny leaves town. They simply don't account for V being allowed that same consideration because of how appallingly simple and rigid the ending design is.

The message coupled with the bus scene don't contain the slightest hint that he's going to be caught and flogged by Militech at the border. That ending is clearly Johnny leaves town. They simply don't account for V being allowed that same consideration because of how appallingly simple and rigid the ending design is.
Now, now.. logic has no place here. You have to keep the narrative here. Doesn't matter in other endings that to afford a multimillion penthouse you would have had to .... rob arasaka.. just like the nomad ending (as V is a merc right?? )

That and mercs do jobs against corps.. all... the... time.. if corps wasted money and resources hunting down merc who do jobs against them the merc population (that they depend upon for op missions) would evaporate.

V didn't seem to get hunted down/marked for takeout when V hit other militech places..
hotel base in desert....
outposts...

But I'm sure johnny has magic power to hand wave away any border checks.. no im not V.. im this other dude in V's body.. honest!!!

In every johnny ending based on how you assault arasaka... and I think arasaka's losses losing their huge complex and data would be 8-9 figure millions of losses vs some soldiers and equipment from militech

not even a warrant for arrest pending V's body (for millions/billions in losses/destruction of property/ murder, etc, etc) on crossing border on a.. public bus... (not even hiding in the luggage area)

makes sense!!!!

I think it's pretty silly to assume Johnny Silverhand can't figure out how to escape Night City:

BTW, I wish there was a way to address the major issues of Ludonarrative Dissonance in the game:

Why are we still street mercs doing jobs?: After Watson, much of the game's side content does't make sense. I wish we had some in-universe explanation for why V cares about rescuing people, doing heists, and other things. Maybe even V explaining, "I want to retire after I save my life and retire in style."

First of all, YAY I got to use that phrase!

Secondly, personally I think it's a mistake to have gone through the incredible lengths the devs went through to achieve creating Night City, to give me such an amazing open world to play in, but then narratively tell me I'm dying quickly. I mean, it just makes every side-job and gig ring a little hollow. I noticed it when I wanted to buy a particularly expensive car so I gigged pretty hard to earn the eddies and it suddenly struck me: What the hell am I doing? This makes no sense for my character in-game.

They built an incredible world for me to play in, then gave my character an in-game reason to not enjoy it, while at the same time trying to give me the player tons of reasons to explore and enjoy it.

I think I'd like the option of creating a character not tied to the main storyline.
V wants to be known and remembered. The more gigs you complete, the more your reputation rises and the more people will remember you when you die.

About how different people in different circumstances may evaluate this impending death, well... differently; I just heard Joe Rogan (won't get into the controversies surrounding him, he was talking about his fighting years) recount how he stopped fighting kickboxing, so he was young and he describes after doing what he discovered he loves, bit with many hits to the head, he also started to see colleages with brain damage or just, slowly degrading mentally and he knew HE had to get out. Some people stay, doing what they love so they don't "run away" to survive, or run after any solution. In cyberpunk I plain pretend Vic says we have months or more than half a year as it makes more sense. Indeed someone with sharp surviving instincts knowing they have some weeks might just go full out seek solution mode

they gave us an amazing open world with nothing to do to live in it

i keep seeing this game being called an RPG. I just can't see it.

its a story you play until there is just a barren NPC wasteland

they gave us an amazing open world with nothing to do to live in it

i keep seeing this game being called an RPG. I just can't see it.

its a story you play until there is just a barren NPC wasteland
What is an RPG for you? GTA? Red dead redemption?
Because only Skyrim and fallout 3 and 4 somehwat fit that definition, but alot of games that are acknowledged by everyone to be RPG games don't - Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, BG 1&2, nvn 1&2, arcanum, pillars of eternity 1&2 etc.

Easy to know :)
Rogue in Aldecaldos Temperance ending.
"Good luck out there, Johnny. And never come back to Night City"
For me, it don't sound like a threat, more like "don't come back, no one will miss you here."
Right time :
Not the same as Panam, who she want to find this fu..ing coward to "rip V out of his head" no matter where he's hidding (if V romance Panam).
Also at the right time :

So I don't think Johnny ask help to Rogue for leave Night City and maybe he will be caught at the border by Militech (a bus should be controlled I think) :)
Or maybe he have a L.O.A card with a big attachment :D
This is self-induced sophistry. She clearly wants his ass gone.

This is self-induced sophistry. She clearly wants his ass gone.
Everyone is free to understand in the way that he want. It just seem strange to me that it could be a threat. In the same ending (Aldecaldos), if V keep the body, she ask to V to send a message to Johnny if it's possible "he's a dumbass, but it was nice to see him again".

Anyway, in both case (threat or not, Johnny or V in the body), it's like Kerry. It toke 50 years, but the "Johnny Silverhand" part of her life is definitly closed and ended now :)

I know this view is trendy and cool nowadays, but the phrase does express a real thing. Whenever people overuse or misuse it is something else.
It is a made up term that was coined by someone attempting to make themselves sound serious and important. Ludo is Latin. Narrative is English. As a construct, it is plain pompous.

Although 'narrative' derives from Latin, so...
It may derive from it but it is not actual Latin. Things like polymorphic express things using derived words that have been incorporated into English. Ludonarrative dissonance is just a look at me way of saying "narrative dissonance".

It may derive from it but it is not actual Latin. Things like polymorphic express things using derived words that have been incorporated into English. Ludonarrative dissonance is just a look at me way of saying "narrative dissonance".
That's OK by me, a lot of useful words are compounds of other words. English is superflexible that way,

That's OK by me, a lot of useful words are compounds of other words. English is superflexible that way,
The problem with it is that, outside academics trying to justify their existence in niche fields, it serves no purpose. See also cinemanarrative dissonance -- a pointless term used if people want to puff themselves up in film studies. We know what narrative dissonance is, and we know that we are talking variously about a book, a film, a game, or whatever.

Anyway, rant over. I guess I blew my top at seeing it one too many times as if it somehow intellectualises the discussion.

The problem with it is that, outside academics trying to justify their existence in niche fields, it serves no purpose. See also cinemanarrative dissonance -- a pointless term used if people want to puff themselves up in film studies. We know what narrative dissonance is, and we know that we are talking variously about a book, a film, a game, or whatever.

Anyway, rant over. I guess I blew my top at seeing it one too many times as if it somehow intellectualises the discussion.
I'm just funning :) It's not a phrase I've seen too many times to be irritated with it yet, and it strikes me as a playful construct used in a knowing way - ie specifically about computer game narratives.

The new free DLCs definitely don't make this worse, who didn't want more interactions to enhance the sting of doomed relationships. Who wouldn't buy five new apartments when you know your life is measured in weeks.
1645071315611.png

The new free DLCs definitely don't make this worse, who didn't want more interactions to enhance the sting of doomed relationships. Who wouldn't buy five new apartments when you know your life is measured in weeks.
View attachment 11282434

I 100% think 1.5 has gone a long way to correcting the problem with, "Why is V beating to death people with a bat for money when he's dying?"

A major thing lacking from the game is WHY does V care about the whole business of being a badass who is the King or Queen of Night City. This is Jackie and V's goal from the beginning and why they're doing all of the side content that is 90% of the game. What's the point of accumulating Eddies if you're going to be dead in a month? The apartments and customization of your apartment actually go a long way to address the ludonarrative dissonance of why you're doing what you do. Even if V is dying and only has a few weeks left to live, the ability to rent massively beautiful apartments and live the high life goes a way to explain: "Yes, I touched the dream and could live the big life as a big shot" even if it's only for a short while.

So, yes, the simple act of adding apartments has helped make the game make more sense. A home is a powerful thing.

Top Bottom