Mafia 3 [Just announced]

+
At least they added Vito in to appeal to fans of the franchise. The setting might surprise us so I'll keep an open mind.

i'll just leave this quote right here, which says everything about the third installment of this saga:

"here's a game really loved, primarly for its uniqueness. let's then take it and make it JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE !"
-Yahtzee Croshaw (Zero punctuation: Top 5 of 2014)

this happened sadly to too many games, like the theif series or the hitman series (damn you Absolution !), and this could be happening with Mafia. but i really REALY hope that i'm wrong.

"here's a game really loved, primarly for its uniqueness. let's then take it and make it JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE !"
-Yahtzee Croshaw (Zero punctuation: Top 5 of 2014)

It's sad, but thats a perfect description of Mafia 3.

They just took everything that makes Mafia unique and just threw it out the window and Mafia was not a very big franchise to begin with, so to alienate your core audience must be one of the most stupid things you can do -.-

I think it's still too early to judge Mafia 3, based on what, less than a minute of early alpha gameplay footage ? Looks like you guys are just salty over the fact that it takes place in 1968.

Organized crime did not magically disappear after the 1950s :p

alrighty, so i've been playing lately the first mafia game, and damn ! it's excellent !
the detailled city, the laws in place, the overall 30's-40's atomosphere, the gamplay mechanics, and the story... so GOOD ! :smiling2:
this game puts GTA to shame in my opinion, and does an excellent job of putting you in the italian mafia atmosphere and "role-playing" aspect of it.
now i understand more the outraged fans concerning Mafia III, the game changed completely in terms of "theme" (or is it ?), new devs aboard, an underwhelming sequel with simplified game a mechanics, shorter in duration...etc (i been reading the mafia forums so yeah)
i really hope they pull off something as amazing as the first game with even more game mechanics, while staying true to the gangster/mafia theme, after all mafia is all about organized crime, and it's the perfect mafioso simulator in my opinion.

that being said, anybody heard anything interresting about the game ? hopefully it's not a bland and casualized GTA-like with an identity crysis, because if so, i'm gonna cry :surprise:

---------- Updated at 02:46 PM ----------

Looks like shitty arcade game. Setting sucks too, especially the protag (muh mah homies in da hood got shot up by evil spaghettis). Franchise butchered. Hope it bombs.

---------- Updated at 07:15 PM ----------

Just read in games.cz interview that the game director (a giant SJW by the way) did not even know the games before he was assigned to work on this... So yeah.
i...i can't breathe, i think i'm gonna die:sleepy:
(sorry i haven't seen your reply)

a mafia game without vavra at the helm is like an metal gear game without kojima. not having it.

oh and sjw serving as project lead? all they need now is to introduce an obese black lesbian and it's a 10/10 from kotaku.

a mafia game without vavra at the helm is like an metal gear game without kojima. not having it.

oh and sjw serving as project lead? all they need now is to introduce an obese black lesbian and it's a 10/10 from kotaku.
yeah, the fact that the original game director is no longer part of the franchise is already worrysome, and it shows from the overall direction they're taking. this game ain't gonna be good sadly (at least as a mafia game)

hey guys ^^
i just found a video from game informer featuring some of the devs talking more about the game, its settings, story & "branching choices", as well as gameplay features and mechanics.
i really hope that they know what they're doing but that doesn't seem to be the case to me :(

Mafia 2 was an ok game, actually got bored near endgame and never finished it. Two never reached the charm of the first, and THAT one was amazing. Mafia 1 was one of my favorite games back in the day. The new one looks bad, lacks the vibe and soul. They should scrap the name and market it with a new one.

Mafia 2 was an ok game, actually got bored near endgame and never finished it. Two never reached the charm of the first, and THAT one was amazing. Mafia 1 was one of my favorite games back in the day. The new one looks bad, lacks the vibe and soul. They should scrap the name and market it with a new one.
agreed. mafia 1 was waaaaaaaaaay better than mafia 2. not only was it more challenging, but the story was more interresting, the missions were a lot more varied.
heck ! even the characters were more endearing and interresting.
so yeah, i didn't have much confidence in mafia 3, considering how easy and casualized mafia 2 was, but this is just ridiculous -_-

Reminder :rofl:

Source

Reminder :rofl:

Source
ugh...
that is the last of our problems. we're worried about how the game is, the overall atmosphere and the gameplay, which now looks as generic as GTA if not worse. heck, even the setting doesn't make ANY freaking sense ! from what i know, the italian mafia was essentially active in the US, mainly in NY, New Jersey and Chicago, but not the New Orleans.
the main character is fine, and i have no problems with him...yet. it'll depend ultimately of how his characterisation will be, as well as the writing.

Stop bringing the race card, like many do. god... -_-

P.S: Mafia is supposed to be an ITALIAN word, and therefore i expect the game to about italian mafiosos, not Black gangsters (even if i love that too, especially in games like GTA San Andreas or even a movie like American Gangster which i loved <3). they're two separate things and they should stay that way.

---------- Updated at 07:35 PM ----------

Personal speculation, and therefore spoilers:
considering that the main character is only half black, and i assume the other half is white...then it'd be pretty ironic if his father would be part of the italian mobs, which he vowed to destroy. or better yet, that his father is related to Vito Scaletta, if not THE father.

Last edited:
Top Bottom