Magical Signs in TW3

+
Nah, I'd say concentrating on swordmanship with minimal sign usage is a perfectly viable way to play DM. Getting through enemies' defences without signs isn't difficult.

Yeah, there is no problem here. The builds cater to different playstyles, and it's good to see most of them working well.

Nah, I'd say concentrating on swordmanship with minimal sign usage is a perfectly viable way to play DM. Getting through enemies' defences without signs isn't difficult.

Can you defeat groups of enemies +10 levels above you with swords? With signs it seems too easy for me. How do you get through their defences with swords without getting flanked? I am aware you can dodge, but groups of enemies will surround you, and the spinning attack doesn't go through blocks.

I'm level 4 and can beat a group of 5-6 level 10 bandits with only quen, aard and a bit of sword when they're stunned.

Can you defeat groups of enemies +10 levels above you with swords? With signs it seems too easy for me. How do you get through their defences with swords without getting flanked? I am aware you can dodge, but groups of enemies will surround you, and the spinning attack doesn't go through blocks.

I'm wasn't trying to say anything about balance - for all I know, maybe signs are horribly overpowered - but at no point have I felt like sign spamming would be necessary in order for me to proceed in the game. Just to be clear, I was answering your last question there: no, I'm pretty sure DM doesn't expect us to "exploit" signs.

If sign spamming makes destroying groups of +10 levels "too easy", then I agree that signs are too powerful, and I suggest you stop spamming them. I remeber well how powerful they could be in the previous games, which is precisely the reason I only ever use them to supplement Geralt's swordmanship.

Speaking of signs, and imba-ness. I was level 3 or so, fighting a group of 5 level 10 bandits. Took me about 4-5 attempts of setting up crazy strats or potions, bombs, positioning, etc. Then I ended up just Axiiing them(didn't realise it was so op at this stage), and one-shotting while stunned. ...All of them.

Axii should have a chance to backfire / break early vs high level enemies, imo. It's super op lol.

Well.. similar to how it was previously, specializing in signs seems to be completely trivializing 99% of the encounters. Who needs sword damage when you can keep aarding everyone over and over and poking them once once they're down? Or just burn them to a crisp if they won't lie down? I'm playing on the penultim difficulty and I hardly ever need to use the swords for anything other than finishing people who are already burning or waiting for me to poke them once.

Meanwhile even the lowly lvl 5 bandit is adept at parrying every single one of your fast swings. I don't know guys, I'm 18 points in the magic tree and if I keep investing in it at this rate Geralt is sure to rename to White Wizard. Signs are supposed to complement swords, but I can easily just annihilate everyone without swinging them once. Is Death March for me or does the last difficulty just expect you to exploit sings?

Play on Death March, mos def.

Well.. similar to how it was previously, specializing in signs seems to be completely trivializing 99% of the encounters. Who needs sword damage when you can keep aarding everyone over and over and poking them once once they're down? Or just burn them to a crisp if they won't lie down? I'm playing on the penultim difficulty and I hardly ever need to use the swords for anything other than finishing people who are already burning or waiting for me to poke them once.

Meanwhile even the lowly lvl 5 bandit is adept at parrying every single one of your fast swings. I don't know guys, I'm 18 points in the magic tree and if I keep investing in it at this rate Geralt is sure to rename to White Wizard. Signs are supposed to complement swords, but I can easily just annihilate everyone without swinging them once. Is Death March for me or does the last difficulty just expect you to exploit sings?

First off, how you play is your choice. If you choose to Aard everything and instant kill them all the time, or just burn everything, then that's how you chose to play the game. Personally, I invested most of my points in the sign tree, and I use the griffin set. BUT, I don't just spam my signs. I also have 5/5 fast attack, and a bit of bombs in alchemy. I utilize everything this game has to offer, from crossbow bolts to bombs, signs, sword attacks, and counter attacks.

I Quen before the fight, dodge and try to group them up, Igni them all up, dodge back, throw an Enhanced Grapeshot, and slice up the stragglers. I could just dodge-igni-dodge-igni, but that's boring.

Try to mix up your combat, benefit from staggering opponents with signs, and then hacking them up. You'd enjoy it alot more.

Note though, I play on Death March.

Sustained glyphs, global or Yrden only?

Topic.

Not sure if this will increase my Axii mind control duration or if it only extends Yrden.

Also curious what exactly glyph intensity does for Axii... increased duration? Damage?

First off, how you play is your choice. If you choose to Aard everything and instant kill them all the time, or just burn everything, then that's how you chose to play the game. Personally, I invested most of my points in the sign tree, and I use the griffin set. BUT, I don't just spam my signs. I also have 5/5 fast attack, and a bit of bombs in alchemy. I utilize everything this game has to offer, from crossbow bolts to bombs, signs, sword attacks, and counter attacks.

I Quen before the fight, dodge and try to group them up, Igni them all up, dodge back, throw an Enhanced Grapeshot, and slice up the stragglers. I could just dodge-igni-dodge-igni, but that's boring.

Try to mix up your combat, benefit from staggering opponents with signs, and then hacking them up. You'd enjoy it alot more.

Note though, I play on Death March.

Everything you do is your choice. I'm just talking about a very easy way to exploit what we're given. If I'm combing everything in one fight for the sake of doing something else and NOT for the sake of efficiency, than that's a problem because complementing one thing with another is SUPPOSED to be efficient, but it isn't. The boring dodge-igni-dodge-igni you described is the most efficient and fastest way to deal with stuff.

I might restart on death march but at that point I wonder if there's any point in even trying to be a smartass and go with the cat set/perk and fast/spin attacks with like quen/axii.

Does skill "Sustained Glyphs" work for anyone?

Not sure if I'm just not reading this right or if the skill is bugged. This is the first Yrden skill, the description for level 1 is "Increases sign duration by 5 seconds. Number of alternate mode charges: 2. Number of standard mode traps: 1". For level 2 description is "Increases sign duration by 10 seconds. Number of alternate mode charges: 4. Number of standard mode traps: 2"

I took that to mean that on level two I should be able to cast two regular Yrden area traps and in fact that happens and I'm able to have two area traps but I thought I would also be able to have 4 alternate Yrdens that zap for damage but as soon as I cast the second one, first one goes away. Does the same happen for everyone and can someone perhaps explain if I'm not reading the description correctly?

Thanks

I imagine the number of charges means how many zaps you get, not how many alternate Yrden traps you can place.

Signs were always O.P.

IMO though they did a good job not making them TOO O.P. this time around.
At least on the basic levels +/- one or two skill points the signs seem to require you to use them intelligently and supportively to the main ability of swordsmanship on Death March difficulty. I know going full Igni is a little OP, but then again, wasn't it the exact same way in TW1 and TW2? Even more OP IMO, in TW2 I could almost insta-kill 3 guys as the same time when having Igni all leveled up, and Aard had a very high chance of stunning an enemy which you could then also insta-kill. I think the signs are less OP this time, especially since you only have 12 total skills active at a time and on higher difficulties your stats don't increase over time.

Got to say though, and that is a minor complaint, I wish they would have made enemies more varied in terms of resistances, so that there is REALLY a type of style that some monsters are almost immune against, makes it more interesting, kind of like the second lair of enemy attack patterns being their resistances and a defenses.

@ Reptile - It's definitely not number of zaps (unless that's bugged too) because even on first level of Sustained Glyphs where I would only supposed to get two zaps but the trap would keep zapping while it was up, easily 6-10 times.

Melt Armor on Monsters?

Just a quick question, I've been leveling my Igni sign with the melt armor ability and it suddenly dawned on me... does this even work on monsters and beasts? I'm sure they have some sort of armor rating but they don't have "armor" in the traditional sense. So if a dev could answer this (or someone who has a good idea) please do! It's affects seem negligible to begin with, I rarely notice my sword strikes doing more damage to human opponents after I've cast this on them so I am debating respecing this out.

Cheers.

---------- Updated at 01:58 PM ----------

Bump. Nobody else wonders about this?

Top Bottom