Main character: Voiced or non-voiced?

+

Do you want a voiced main protagonist ?

• Total voters
yes,, voiced of course, the dialog option is short, but the character explains more as it talks, just lik the witcher games,
for example: the dialog option is "ok, I'll do it, I'm a witcher, I kill monsters, etc..." so it never repeats the same as it's on the written dialog

besides, how can the protagonist communicate wth the NPC's? do they read his mind? a non viced character maks no sense, he must tlk to communicate, and a non voiced character is boring

Constructive post, generally, or don't. This isn't NeoGaf or Steam. One-word mocking replies are not a good idea.

Geralt's dialogue responses were generally a choice between Yes, No, Goodbye, Quest question, and Quest follow-up question.

W3 has something like 450,000 words, (about the same as Mass Effect 2 and 3) which is impressive. Given Geralt's minimal style of expression, most of those are not him obviously.

BG2 Shadows of Amn and Planescape: Torment both have about 1.1 million words. The dialogue trees for the protagonist, being written, not spoken, are much more exhaustive.

So, yeah, Geralt is a to-the-facts guy generally. He doesn't ask a lot of silly questions, or go off on a five-response subset talking about baked goods very often. Cost of spoken vs written dialogue.

Voiced. I may be spoiled, but I've come to expect voice acting in my games. Without it I might pass on the game tbh. It adds a lot to the story and characters to actually hear them speak. It's just part of the human experience ...

Even marginal VA work (like the male actor in FO4 & pretty much every protagonist in DA:I) is preferable to nothing for me. And if it's done well (ie. Witcher 3, ME Series, pretty much every naughty dog game) it can make the experience incredible.

Last edited:
I don't mind either way as long as there are enough choices, I used to like playing the silent type in Fallout and FO4 took that away from me, that annoyed me, it's no extra dialogue but not present, that was silly. As long as options are open and you're able to actually communicate what you're feeling I don't mind, but I don't want to be boxed in by constraints.

Also the quality has to be decent. Obviously.

ME Series

I personally thought the Mass Effect VA was bollocks. I mean... Shepard sounds like he is reading dialogue in the booth, just saying the words. Pretty damn awful, i was almost laughing when i watched a ME2 video the other day.

I personally thought the Mass Effect VA was bollocks. I mean... Shepard sounds like he is reading dialogue in the booth, just saying the words. Pretty damn awful, i was almost laughing when i watched a ME2 video the other day.

I strongly disagree. But the point I was making is simply that VA is almost a must for me.

I strongly disagree. But the point I was making is simply that VA is almost a must for me.

Well i personally agree. Games of old like Fallout New vegas are amazing without their voice acting protagonist because of the mod potential, but i think we are at a point now where games should generally always be VA, all characters.

lmfao... there's plenty of dialogue.

Geralt is filled with dialogue choices and dialogue itself. The only problem with a voiced protagonist is mods, unless you can contact the original voice actor...

Well, no. I mean, yes, there is plenty of dialogue. But Geralt doesn't really converse - he asks questions, gets an answer and then moves on. He only asks side questions of more important NPCs..and those are just a couple, like "where did you get these letters" as opposed to, "so what do you think about the politics of Novigrad" and a whole ten-line question/response subsection coming from that. There's also the issue of CDPR highlighting his quest-related questions vs side-stuff, which is iffy for me.

Written dialogue, as evidenced by BG2 and PST allowed for nearly 3 times the content as spoken, and that was with much smaller budgets.

Mods are also an issue.

One of the problems with voiced content is also that not only does it lock the main character speaking lines to less than typed, but it also means the NPCs have to either have a voiced response to the greater dialogue options from non-voiced content or they have to be non-voiced as well.

So the problem with voiced protagonist not only applies to mods for the PC, but also the NPCs...and the dialogue constraints also apply to the NPCs as well.

For these reasons, I think we're getting voiced everyone, and less dialogue. Or, maybe we get a million words of spoken dialogue and lengthy conversation trees for Cyberpunk. CDPR has the time and they put it and the money into W3 writing/speaking. Took (2.5) years to record everytyhing, but they have years.

mod potential

This is my only gripe with voiced characters. But with a decent way of displaying written dialogue I don't mind if a mod doesn't have voice acting.

There were some pretty good Fallout quest mods with no verbal dialogue.

One of my favourite recent RPG's, Pillars of Eternity has very little spoken dialogue akin to the old BG games where some was VO'd and some wasn't, I am fine with that too.

Forum veteran
And having lots of dialogue options? Why, unless they actually make a difference? If the only impact is on whether some stat goes +1 or -1, then I'd prefer them not to bother. I'd prefer three meaningful dialogue choices that actually impact on the future to six that only matter if you're consulting some game guide to see which one makes you a nicer person.
Who says they wouldn't make a difference (or that they haven't historically), though? Arcanum has a completely optional dialogue tree about dwarven philosophy at one point that you can access if your character has a high enough intelligence, and that's required to recruit a certain companion who's easily missed. Bloodlines is filled with various different dialogue options like that, too. You only get VV's real name if you play as a Malkavian and there are even extra scenes (including arguing with a stop sign), and while that may not be hugely game-altering in the sense that it factors into the ending, it certainly goes a long way toward building atmosphere and distinguishing different playthroughs from each other. That's not even mentioning all the other options, like Dementation having a completely different effect than simply talking someone out of something.

Besides which, we'll lose so much if flavor text (which I assume goes into the "doesn't impact the future" pile) is ignored. Optional histories, back stories, character motivations that could be used to paint available decisions in a different light for those willing to put in the legwork and ask enough questions. That'd be a huge loss considering CDPR's current strength seems to be writing smaller, more intimate and focused stories rather than expansive ones.

Written dialogue, as evidenced by BG2 and PST allowed for nearly 3 times the content as spoken, and that was with much smaller budgets.

For these reasons, I think we're getting voiced everyone, and less dialogue. Or, maybe we get a million words of spoken dialogue and lengthy conversation trees for Cyberpunk. CDPR has the time and they put it and the money into W3 writing/speaking. Took (2.5) years to record everytyhing, but they have years.

You forgot that with old games big part of these dialog lines where descriptions, something you can just show instead to better effect . Besides majority of those options were cosmetics - nothing really changed. I recently replayed Bloodlines as a malkavian (until game crashed on a way to a ship), plenty of different dialog options but barely any change anything at all, usualy npcs were just ignoring them

You forgot that with old games big part of these dialog lines where descriptions, something you can just show instead to better effect . Besides majority of those options were cosmetics - nothing really changed. I recently replayed Bloodlines as a malkavian (until game crashed on a way to a ship), plenty of different dialog options but barely any change anything at all, usualy npcs were just ignoring them

Well,

A) Torment and BG2 didn't spend a lot of wordages on descriptions - they had plenty of imagery. More so, you might argue, than modern 3D games. Did Not Lack For Atmosphere, especially PST.

B) Bloodlines had good dialogue,but I'd say not a lot better than Witcher 3. More options in terms of Seduce/Intimidate/Dominate, etc. The dialogue doesn't have to -change- things, that's the point. It's that it lets you flavour your character. NPCs usually responded but, yeah, their responses were pretty similar.

Cosmetic is important in terms of role-play. Seducing someone in VBL is different than Intimidate - and will typically net you a different result. But it's really important in terms of how you play your character, which later informs important decisions, like which of the sisters to save or how you respond to Damsel and Nines vs Lacroix, for example.

In true role-playing, dialogue is nearly infinite in choice, of course. And that is what leads to some truly hilarious and also character defining moments.

CDPR got a pass with Witcher, because Geralt is so clearly defined. With Cpunk, no such pass. They'll need a LOT of dialogue options if they want you to be able to play Sleazy Corporate, Clever Corporate, Cowardly Corporate, Soulless Corporate and/or Moral Corporate ( ahahaha!). All easily done in PnP - moderately well done in Bloodlines - and verr little in Witcher.

They'll need a LOT of dialogue options if they want you to be able to play Sleazy Corporate, Clever Corporate, Cowardly Corporate, Soulless Corporate and/or Moral Corporate ( ahahaha!). All easily done in PnP - moderately well done in Bloodlines - and verr little in Witcher.

Well said.

I've always played a no-jokes merc' when playing futuristic PnP games to contrast my drunk 80% of the time Medieval/Fantasy characters so I don't play the same character across all settings - If I don't have that option I will be pretty annoyed, but at the same time I may want to deviate when it comes to this game, I need that option when it's my own character as opposed to playing Geralt. That's what annoyed me about the 'Lone Wanderer' in FO4, I had to play a spritely yes-woman rather than the cold-calculated mercenary I wanted to be in that game - It's a very easy pitfall to enter in a fully voiced, custom character RPG.

Last edited:
CDPR got a pass with Witcher, because Geralt is so clearly defined. With Cpunk, no such pass. They'll need a LOT of dialogue options if they want you to be able to play Sleazy Corporate, Clever Corporate, Cowardly Corporate, Soulless Corporate and/or Moral Corporate ( ahahaha!). All easily done in PnP - moderately well done in Bloodlines - and verr little in Witcher.

I agree to the point.

All in all, I'm not usually off by hearing my character speak (I actually do prefer it for immersion - completely subjective). However, that better not decrease the amount of dialogue options (flavor is highly important) in the game. If it is going to severely cut it, I'd rather not have it then. But I kinda have the suspicion that they will keep it voiced, and they will also provide A LOT more dialogue options compared to, say, Witcher 3. Increased budgets and production values should help in this regard, if they really want to one up themselves ;)

Although I should say that Witcher 1's flavor dialogue wasn't so bad (Of course it wasn't a Torment, but let's not kid ourselves, what is? :) ), compared to its size. And it was completely voice acted. They might be able to do a lot better this time. We'll see. I highly doubt they will go a non-voiced PC though, seeing how much they like cinematic experiences. I feel good about this, since I also like cinematic experiences; but with lots of dialogue please :)

But Fallout 4 was completely awful, it was such a bad game compared to New Vegas and 3.

I never specified which Fallout I was talking about - I was alluding to NV and Fallout 2 specifically, not played any quest mods for Fallout 4 yet personally.

But I agree, yes, Fallout 4's quest's were dull and it's main plot awful, I personally don't enjoy Fallout 3 much either.

Well,

A) Torment and BG2 didn't spend a lot of wordages on descriptions - they had plenty of imagery. More so, you might argue, than modern 3D games. Did Not Lack For Atmosphere, especially PST.

B) Bloodlines had good dialogue,but I'd say not a lot better than Witcher 3. More options in terms of Seduce/Intimidate/Dominate, etc. The dialogue doesn't have to -change- things, that's the point. It's that it lets you flavour your character. NPCs usually responded but, yeah, their responses were pretty similar.

Cosmetic is important in terms of role-play. Seducing someone in VBL is different than Intimidate - and will typically net you a different result. But it's really important in terms of how you play your character, which later informs important decisions, like which of the sisters to save or how you respond to Damsel and Nines vs Lacroix, for example.

In true role-playing, dialogue is nearly infinite in choice, of course. And that is what leads to some truly hilarious and also character defining moments.

1. I was talking about descriptions of characters, characters behaviour , facial changes and specific details in location. Something you can just show instead these days.
2. Whats the point of your flavoured sentence if its completely ignored by npc. Thats the biggest problems with many options,, usually there is few main options and flavoured variations of that same sentences, Npc's seems to just move on without acknowledging that variation. Im not talking about huge decisions, just changing attitude of an npc etc.
3. It doesn't matter how many options you will gonna get, you will never be able to fully execute a personality that you have created through them. Personality is something much more nuanced than a few general conversation options (even if you have 7 or 8 of them, you still covering the basics,) Besides the irony is, that introducing more options can create less deep experience for you that you would potentially had with less options. Look at W3 for a second from a class perspective. Witcher is basically a class like warrior, mage etc. Because you are playing as a predefined class, the developer can tailor that game to that specific class, the whole gameplay is designed around the fact that you are a witcher, (monster hunting etc.) That allows for more greater detail and thus greater dept with playing this game. Now imagine playing CP as a predefined corporate character. There is no doubt that concept would allow you to have much deeper experience as a corporate than in a game where you have few roles to chose from. While i am not advocating that approach with CP, my point is that sometimes to many options can dilute your experience. That is one of the reasons i prefer less options that really count than more options that just add a bit of flavour.
4. Things like seductions, persuasion , threats are thing that you will probably have in a game regardless of that decision (voiced, silent). In fact, i know that seduction was something Cd Projekt talked about few years ago with regards to CP.
5. I do believe CP needs more dialog options that Witcher just because character won't be as predefined but it does not need huge amount of options. I would like to see something like in telltale game where a character have some sort of personality but you can still heavily define your attitude, opinions and make decisions (even though those don't matter that much in telltale games but that a story for anothe conversation). You can be polite, you can be a dick and so on while maintaining a cohesive personality. I think generally 3/4 options would be ok plus ones that can come from skills and abilities from time to time.

---------- Updated at 09:21 PM ----------

Fallout 3 wasn't that good either, poor characters, poor writing, poor quests, and a lot of chore killings

I never specified which Fallout I was talking about - I was alluding to NV and Fallout 2 specifically, not played any quest mods for Fallout 4 yet personally.

But I agree, yes, Fallout 4's quest's were dull and it's main plot awful, I personally don't enjoy Fallout 3 much either.

Well they have protagonists that are not voiced anyway, so the mods dont matter being unvoiced.

Well they have protagonists that are not voiced anyway, so the mods dont matter being unvoiced.

They had voiced NPC's, I was pointing out that the jump from having V/O to no V/O doesn't bother me so long as I can have the written dialogue there plainly to see, which can be applied to a player character too.

In my opinion, a pre-defined character should have a voice no matter what, but for custom-made from scratch characters; they would benefit more from no voice acting for more dialogue options to increase the role-playing potential, but even if CDPR go for a fully blank character (blegh) I doubt they would make it a silent character.

Top Bottom