Main character: Voiced or non-voiced?

+

Do you want a voiced main protagonist ?

• Total voters
I would like Dragon Age Origins approach (Silent character with more options) but I will be fine with voiced character.

Fallout 3 wasn't that good either, poor characters, poor writing, poor quests, and a lot of chore killings

Fallout 3 was a pile of utter garbage, but one of the very few things it did right was that it didn't force the character into a singular mold through voice acting.

I agree that set protagonist is better voiced, and player created (as in their personality, not their looks) shouldn't be. the former likely offers less roleplaying options, but has the potential to tell a better story because the devs know the character they are working with.

if they could provide just enough set points in the main character's life to create a more personal but not too limiting story I'd be sold. but. I do really like cdpr's cutscenes. a silent protagonist would make them much less interesting and a blank slate protagonist even more so. maybe they could include timed options while the cutscene is playing so you can decide what your character would do in that situation. I'm not sure..
I know, I'm worrying about "packaging", but video games are a visual medium, so I think it's important.

if they could provide just enough set points in the main character's life to create a more personal but not too limiting story I'd be sold. but. I do really like cdpr's cutscenes. a silent protagonist would make them much less interesting and a blank slate protagonist even more so. maybe they could include timed options while the cutscene is playing so you can decide what your character would do in that situation. I'm not sure..
I know, I'm worrying about "packaging", but video games are a visual medium, so I think it's important.

I believe voice work wouldn't be a bad thing, CDPR have a really good track record with me, personally (Apart from Triss and Dandlion's mysterious American accents for a Redanian and a Temerian when other people from the same places have very distinct British-regional accents) and as long as the options for enough self-expression are there I wouldn't mind a voiced character, but it has to be more than just "Sarcastic or Yes-Man" and you need to be able to play your character consistently unlike FO4 where in one conversation you can be angry, sad and joking in the same dialogue, makes so sense.

But yes, they need a backstory, even if it just came down the the Snake Plissken "I heard you were dead" ploy, the character needs a world presence before the start or you just feel like a tourist.

I am ambivalent, I mean, I love both types of games, but of late I've been playing voiced games and it's just...

Like I don't love the new swtor stuff because my Sage has a lot of unvoiced discussions, which feels totally strange, but I've been replaying the Witcher 3, and I replay Mass Effect a lot (get MEHEM and Citadel Ending Lite mod), and one of the reasons I replay ME all the time is FemSheps voice.

Like they made siri from a couple of paragraphs some lady made for a third party, so I'd think game companies by this time could just like, buy voices from people, and give us a choice.

For me, I prefer both voice acted and silent protagonists like in Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4. There should be an option in the settings menu that could enable voice acting for the protagonist or disable voice acting for the main protagonist.

There should be an option in the settings menu that could enable voice acting for the protagonist or disable voice acting for the main protagonist.

I disagree. after they decide which direction they wanna go in they have to give it their best. if the game is voiced and you can turn it off and still enjoy it, then they didn't do a good enough work designing their game around a voiced character. if both options are viable we get none of the benefits of either.

I disagree. after they decide which direction they wanna go in they have to give it their best. if the game is voiced and you can turn it off and still enjoy it, then they didn't do a good enough work designing their game around a voiced character. if both options are viable we get none of the benefits of either.
Interesting points, and that is true. I just thought it would be a good idea to include both so both sides can still enjoy the experience.

Play Dragon Age Origins. It was pretty funny as BW tried to accomodate both.

Which is another point - dialogues in cut-scenes. As this is the way CDPR's engine works, and it's something they're good at, I don't see that changing.

And the reason DAO was so funny was because there'd be this conversation going on and everyone EXCEPT the protagonist has facial expressions and mouth movements. While he was just standing there looking like a gormless twit who only thinks of what to say but never quite manages to say it out loud.

Which is another point - dialogues in cut-scenes. As this is the way CDPR's engine works, and it's something they're good at, I don't see that changing.

And the reason DAO was so funny was because there'd be this conversation going on and everyone EXCEPT the protagonist has facial expressions and mouth movements. While he was just standing there looking like a gormless twit who only thinks of what to say but never quite manages to say it out loud.

Yeah, it really fell right in the middle when BW was going from old to modern, "dialogue wheel"/cinematic experience. So everyone talked with camera shifting back and forth and player constantly raising his eyebrows and nodding, looking like an adorable dimwit.
I always lowered his intelligence to bare minimum, so it actually felt right.

---------- Updated at 03:13 AM ----------

But on a side note, I'm hoping transition gameplay->cutscene here will be better...they did that pretty well with ME III. Arkham Knight as well. Though it's probably engine related.

Yeah, it really fell right in the middle when BW was going from old to modern, "dialogue wheel"/cinematic experience. So everyone talked with camera shifting back and forth and player constantly raising his eyebrows and nodding, looking like an adorable dimwit.
I always lowered his intelligence to bare minimum, so it actually felt right.

---------- Updated at 03:13 AM ----------

But on a side note, I'm hoping transition gameplay->cutscene here will be better...they did that pretty well with ME III. Arkham Knight as well. Though it's probably engine related.
Oh wow, so voiced protagonists are the way to go then? I'm fine with that.

ummm. Did you play The Witcher 3 by any chance? lol
I'm in the middle of the Fire & Wine expansion (I waited for all the DLC to be released and bundled in a pack that was on sale) and once I complete it I'll finish the main quest-line ... I'm a completionist player. That said I agree with Sard.

I did. The dialogue options were pretty limited.

Geralt's dialogue responses were generally a choice between Yes, No, Goodbye, Quest question, and Quest follow-up question.
But Geralt doesn't really converse - he asks questions, gets an answer and then moves on.

CDPR got a pass with Witcher, because Geralt is so clearly defined. With Cpunk, no such pass.

They'll need a LOT of dialogue options if they want you to be able to play Sleazy Corporate, Clever Corporate, Cowardly Corporate, Soulless Corporate and/or Moral Corporate ( ahahaha!).

Last edited:
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.
I agree with Sard.

Also it's Blood and Wine. Ha-HA.

If I'm allowed to be insane and downright unreasonable, I want a voiced protagonist, with multiple voices and a huge away of dialogue options.

Am I asking for too much? Yeah, but such is the beauty of dreams.

As this is the way CDPR's engine works, and it's something they're good at, I don't see that changing.

They should've had stuck with fantasy games and witchering as that's what they did with their engine previously and that's what they are good at. Since, yeah, they've done nothing else.

Yeah, it probably will be a set protagonist, some form of visually customizable cybergeralt with voiced dialog and cutscenes galore in the end. But they've already said they need to make various changes to their engine for this new approach, and are already working on a different dialog system to boot, so why would this aspect here in particular be in the don't-touch zone.

Top Bottom