Main characters: How old are they?

+
Yennefer was said to be 94 years old in the last book.. therefore in W3 she should be around 100 years old. Geralt is about same age, while Vesemir is 2x older than him.

Sodden was in 1262. Geralt met Yennefer on May 1262 (Belleteyn) and then was Battle of Sodden.

What ? Firstly, how do you know in which year exactly Geralt met Yennefer in Belleteyn. The book doesn't make any information about it. It has been known only that it had to play out between 1259 and 1262. Second, why the information that Sodden battle took place immediately after their meeting in Belleteyn? All events take place according to you one year earlier than they should.

Here is great info about timeline from books but it is in Polish...
http://sapkowski.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3507

Yes, it is the source from which I use and probably better not exist. :]

Last edited:
that Sodden battle took place immediately after their meeting in Belleteyn
Sodden battle was in November.

Here is great info about timeline from books but it is in Polish...
http://sapkowski.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3507
Okay, both of our sources agree that Cintra peaceful treaty took place in 1268. Meve says in the spring of 1268 that Cintra died 5 years ago. 5 years ago makes spring 1263, but we know, that the war began in the autumn. Autumn 1263 is 4.5 years ago, autumn 1262 is 5.5 years ago. Now it's up to you to decide.

But what is a year in the Witcher's World? Is it compareable with earth year? How many months is one year, how many days per month etc.
Mutants and Sorceresses I can see being old, but Dandelion pushing 50? Isn't that too much? Or maybe a middle aged man in this world is not 30-40 but 40-50.

But what is a year in the Witcher's World? Is it compareable with earth year? How many months is one year, how many days per month etc.
Mutants and Sorceresses I can see being old, but Dandelion pushing 50? Isn't that too much? Or maybe a middle aged man in this world is not 30-40 but 40-50.

Dandelion is pushing 40 in Blood of Elves, and is definitely in his 40's during the games.

"I know you're almost forty, look almost thirty, think you're just over twenty, and act as though you're barely ten"

-- Dijkstra, Blood of Elves

Some character's age was directly mentioned in the books, others' one was counted using some references.
TW3 events take place in 1272. So we have:
Geralt - around 57.
Ciri - ~20.
Yennefer - 99.
Triss - ~37.
Dandelion - ~43.
Emhyr - ~51.
Dijkstra - ~52.

Geralt is like 97 years old in The Witcher 3, Yennefer around 105, Ciri 21, Triss around 40 - Atleast from what I know.

Triss is likely around 60 years old. Firstly, she fought at Sodden and was a member of the Lodge and it is highly unlikely that she would have accomplished all of this when 30-35 years old. Secondly, Triss might have been mentioned in the Storm Season (more than 20 years ago) - young sorceress Tiziana Frevi is sent by Yennefer to continue her education in Maribor - under the supervision of another sorceress (and Triss lived in Maribor).

But she has. Her and Keira were the youngest members.
I'd say Triss is around 40.

Any reason behind? I suppose that Margarita, Sabrina, Fringilla and Assire are approximately as old as Yen (around 100), the rest is older. Triss and Keira could be even 80 years old and remain the youngest ones.

Triss is likely around 60 years old. Firstly, she fought at Sodden and was a member of the Lodge and it is highly unlikely that she would have accomplished all of this when 30-35 years old. Secondly, Triss might have been mentioned in the Storm Season (more than 20 years ago) - young sorceress Tiziana Frevi is sent by Yennefer to continue her education in Maribor - under the supervision of another sorceress (and Triss lived in Maribor).

I agree with you - I think Triss is around 50-60 - this is still very young for a sorceress

Guest 3842753

Vesemir is 300-400 years old
Philippa Eilhart is around 300
Eskel and Geralt are the same age, around 100. Lambert is younger
Triss is about 35-40

Any reason behind?
In BoE she says she was born half century past the attack on Kaer Morhen, which took place around 1185, so she was born around 1235. It's heavily underlined that she is young, for example, Sabrina calling her The little Merigold etc.

I suppose that Margarita, Sabrina, Fringilla and Assire are approximately as old as Yen
Fringilla is clearly younger than Yennefer, considering her emotional reactions, escpecially after Geralt deceived her, though we can't say what her exact age is. We know nothing at all about Assire. Margarita and Yennefer sound like school mates, so they are probably of the same age +-5.

Last edited:
If I remember correct Yen said in Thanned during the party that Sabrina Glevissig is her school mate too. So another 100+ (if alive)

If I remember correct Yen said in Thanned during the party that Sabrina Glevissig is her school mate too. So another 100+ (if alive)
And after their dialogue they both objected against it, claiming themselves to be younger than the other.

And after their dialogue they both objected against it, claiming themselves to be younger than the other.

Women telling they are younger than they actually are? Never heard of that :p

I think it's safe to say that Triss is at least 40, Yennefer and her were good friends before Geralt even met Yennefer, so assuming Yennefer didn't have a 10-15yo girl as a friend, she was most likely already 20-25 at this point, probably older, then add Ciri's age to that and you get 40-45 as a minimum.
She also says that "Triss always said that if you have seen one naked man, you have seen them all", so i would assume she has already quite some experience, that wouldn't really be indicative that she was much younger than 25 at this point, unless she had already a quite passionate life :)

I doubt Philippa is already 300 years old, rather 150-200, even though it could be possible (Edit: see here). Some of the mages (now dead) were at least much much older, so it's not impossible, but I think the older they get, the harder it is to figure out their real age, because unless we get some sound arguments by themselves or by history events, they can always lie about their age and since their appearance doesn't say anything about them, we have to guess in the end.

Last edited:
According to the Roderick de Novembre's History book Kaer Morhen was attacked by fanatics in 1185-1188 years. Triss mentioned in books, that she was born after ~50 years since siege. So her age ~40.

Top Bottom