MAKE A LIST: 5 concepts to buff

+

Guest 4404014

What do you think are the five concepts or card packages that you'd like to see buffed or further developed . I'm not talking about particular cards of certain categories (all of the below have very strong cards ofc) but about how the whole card package functions as a unit. Here's mine:

1. Witchers
2. Mages
3. Witch hunters
4. Knights
5. Wild Hunt

1. Witchers
2. Wild Hunt
3. Spies
4. Dwarves
5. Gangs (of Novigrad)

Honorable mentions: Graveyard Warriors and Shields

1 Shields
2 Spies
3 Gangs
4 Firesworn
5 Dwarves

Honorable mention: Witch Hunters

Firesworn and Dwarves are almost there as archetypes:
Firesworn have quite a lot of decent 4 provision options, but they need better 5 provision cards and more golds; dwarves have already quite a lot of cards, but they lack a clear direction for now, i.e. a bit of swarm a bit of armor and a bit of miscellaneous units. Also their top golds (Justice, Munroe, Zoltan) probably need a provision buff. I'm confident however that next expansions will bring them back to a more viable state.

Shields are punished by poison because it's an archetype that goes tall generally. I think they just need a few more bronze units to walk on its own feet, but work decently as an hybrid strategy

Finally I'd like to see a viable collusione deck as right now some Gangs are either bad (Cutups) or too specific (crownsplitter, Firesworn)

[...]
Finally I'd like to see a viable collusione deck as right now some Gangs are either bad (Cutups) or too specific (crownsplitter, Firesworn)
Actually the issue is more that Cutups do not have any real synergy (outside of Bloody Good Friends) with the gang focused decks.
Igor is garbage and Whoreson Senior only works in a Crime focused deck, which Blindeyes and Tidecloaks have no synergy with (since Luiza was turned meh).
And Bloody Good Friends only really has synergy in the regard that it has 2 tags, of which 1 is almost a given anyways.
Crownsplitters are used anyways, because Caesar Bilzen and Ferko the Sculptor are direct combo tools/tutors for the main aims in a Gang deck (Sigi and Collusion).

DRK3

Forum veteran
I would argue that there are enough good witcher cards... the problem is there is only one bronze witcher unit, and he is not that good, so making a whole witcher deck is quite hard. But there arent supposed to be that many witchers walking around, they're a rare species, that's why it makes sense to have more named/gold witchers than some random bronze ones.

Mages are actually quite strong, at least in NR you can make almost 100% mage deck, im using one now and its quite good. On NG they are a bit trickier, you can have a few, but a full mage deck is not really viable there.

I agree that Ciri needs a rework, Wild Hunt and Dwarves need a small buff , NR knights and NG Spies need a large buff.

1. Wild hunt
2. Bounties
3. Dragons
4. Spies
5. Traps

The wild hunt should be their own faction. It’s nuts to me that they are considered part of the monster faction. The best argument is they are natives of the same world, but their is little to no evidence of the hunt using monsters to do their bidding. The hunt should have magic type and warrior type members. Unique tags like crushing, and a focus on movement (cavalry,) with hunting tag allowing them an order which moves themselves and their prey to the opposite row when the order is triggered.

We need more bounty cards. Only 3 units can place bounties. One is a bronze with only 4 points and no other function. One is a 12 provision also damage by 3, and one is a fee based unit who is an instant target. Finally there is a crime card that should either give more coins or also do something else.

Dragons seem like the perfect neutral archetype. They are intelligent, keep to themselves, and are frequently hunted. Give them burning tag and row effects. Different colors, ages, and sizes.

Spies are NGs least developed archetype. How about a spy that turns other cards disloyal after a timer. You can lock the card, destroy it, consume it, etc... But if you fail before the timer it seizes it’s target. How about spies that poison or are negative engines. Spies that remove shields and sabotage artifacts. Spies are the best chance NG has at meaningful synergy instead of just over powered utility cards.

ST needs more traps. A redesign of the current traps isn’t the worst idea either. One is essentially a less effective lacerate and one is a less effective lightning bolt. Both made less effective by the fact that they might never go off and can be played around. Ambush units are sorely missed, as well. Good examples of traps include: Bear trap, take x damage and lose deploy ability. Pit trap take x damage and move to the other row. Net trap card becomes inaccessible to both players for three turns. This means no boosting or damaging, but also no using the cards passive ability. Just a few examples of unique flavors traps can bring.

[...]
The wild hunt should be their own faction. It’s nuts to me that they are considered part of the monster faction. The best argument is they are natives of the same world, but their is little to no evidence of the hunt using monsters to do their bidding.
[...]
Again, Isbel of Hagge being Nilfgaard also makes no sense (especially since she is a kind of hippie, until she joins Meve against Nilfgaard and breaks that vow to attack them ... which is not exactly the same as standing on that side ...).
Factions basically find members for racial and national reasons, their intentions do not matter for that.
MO is basically everything that comes from another world, it does not matter if they would even hate each other.

I would argue that there are enough good witcher cards... the problem is there is only one bronze witcher unit, and he is not that good, so making a whole witcher deck is quite hard. But there arent supposed to be that many witchers walking around, they're a rare species, that's why it makes sense to have more named/gold witchers than some random bronze ones.
[...]
The thing is though that the Viper school turns into hired assassins and a command of at the very least 4 Witchers do Emhyrs biding as assassins in the epiloge of The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2.
That is reason enough to consider them a commando and since Gwent is less about size (putting SK, ST, NR etc equal), so that should be enough for a package.
Letho was changed to work with Serrit and Auckes, which is a good thing (although they would deserve a buff), it is hilarious that the Viper Witcher does not even make sense in the same deck due to his nonsensical mill ability, despite being one of the Assassins of Kings.

Furthermore given that even smaller groups can be packages/smaller archtypes it would make sense for Witchers to have a playable core.
Not everything in Gwent happens at the same time (quite the contrary in fact), so the attack of fanatics on Kaer Morhen is already a reason to consider them as a group (at the very least in one instance).
Furthermore one could also finally make the bomb keyword supported, there is no need to make a Witcher archtype about a lot of units (although there should be a couple of units).

Regarding the attack on Kaer Morhen (which is mentioned at the start of The Witcher 1 (from fanatics), as well as the attack of the Salamanda (including Savolla) and later the attack of the Wild Hunt) that fortress should also fullfill all the requirements to become a Scenario (given national reasons it would also make sense to make in a NR scenario).

That all being said, I feel that before long they should introduce an additional limitation that one can only have 1 (or maybe 2) Scenarios in one deck (as they already announced they will at some point add more).

[...]
But there arent supposed to be that many witchers walking around, they're a rare species, that's why it makes sense to have more named/gold witchers than some random bronze ones.
[...]
But there were, which by Gwent standards is enough to add them.
Furthermore all the still educated/young Witchers of the different schools for fit perfectly for bronze Witchers (e.g. murdered Wolf school members from the attack of random fanatics on Kaer Morhen).

Qzman

Forum regular
Unfortunately you have to rely almost entirely on Ivo of Belhaven to carry the game and he is way too easy to counter. I agree they are supposed to be rare but a few more proactive ones would help the archetype rise from unplayable obscurity to meme tier.

1. Traps,
and that's what I would like, haha
The biggest problem is that face-down Traps can be destroyed by cards that target Artifacts (e.g. Bomb Heaver). This makes Traps far worse than they should be, and even more important, it goes against the rules of every card game because unless otherwise stated, a face-down card has no name, type, or any other identifying feature.

1.) Weather - it used to be such a cool unique mechanic, and look at it now :(
2.) Crew - it used to be the defining mechanic of machine based decks, now it basically doesn't exist.
3.) Ambush - amazing mechanic, but problematic one, i miss the old beta ambush.
4.) Discard - another old mechanic that used to be awesome.
5.) NR Cursed archetype - i don't remember if it was ever a thing, but it's there and it can be so much more than what it is today.

1.) Weather - it used to be such a cool unique mechanic, and look at it now :(
[...]
Agreed, but when Dagon comes back I assume they will do something about it.
(I would really like a Foglet like the Closed Beta one though)

[...]
2.) Crew - it used to be the defining mechanic of machine based decks, now it basically doesn't exist.
[...]
It did, but the only playable cards, which get something somewhat worthwhile are Siege Ladder and War Chariot.
Triggering it is relatively easy in the right deck (e.g. Revenants).

[...]
3.) Ambush - amazing mechanic, but problematic one, i miss the old beta ambush.
[...]
An inherently binary mechanic.
Either you can easily play around all options or it becomes insanely toxic.
Honestly I feel like Traps should not be face down and be quite a lot stronger to be playable.

[...]
4.) Discard - another old mechanic that used to be awesome.
[...]
This one they actually knowingly butchered.

[...]
5.) NR Cursed archetype - i don't remember if it was ever a thing, but it's there and it can be so much more than what it is today.
Revenants are an amazing style (especially the variants Temerian Specimen plays).
Cursed Knights and Sabrina's Inferno should get a rework.

Top Bottom