Make cyberpsychosis affecting V an option

+
I agree with most of what you said here. I get that the lack of cyberpsychosis is a design choice to prevent derailing the story, but it is already confirmed in lore that it can be cured (like chem additions in Fallout and debuffs in all kinds of RPGs) post-syndrome. Getting that is not the end of the world. Having it as an additional difficulty modifier would be really, really cool.

A Cyberpunk game where I can install those Mantis Blades without any health risk just doesn't sound so authentic

I think it's too late for wishes. Game is ready and nothing serious will be added. Good or bad, soon we will see final product and i suggest don't expect game that will have everything in it. It will be a good game, but maybe will not meet somebody's expectations.

Cyberpsychosis should be a hidden life path with it's own ending. Think of the possibilities that will open in the world.

V: Excuse me sir, do you know the way to the City Center?
Sir: Aaaaaaahhhh, get away from me, GET AWAY!
V: (Oh no, not another one)

does cyberpsychosis have a visible indicator? maybe V recovered from cyberpsychosis but is still 'marked' as having been?

While being too late to wish/ask for anything added in the game now
I think it's too late for wishes. Game is ready and nothing serious will be added.
Not necessarily too late, as I said, the foundation is still there.
They'd just have to bring it over from the 2018 build, and then reintegrate into the current one.

There'd be more to it than just that, of course, like assigning/tweaking the humanity cost values to every piece of installable cyberware, finding the sweet spot (not too punishing but also not too accommodating) for the tip-over point/threshold and updating the UI/HUD accordingly.
Doesn't seem like something that couldn't be done within the at least 3 months (before going gold) they have left though.

I'd rather they focus on trying to limit the things on the cutting room floor than implementing this optional feature. The reason being is that this will be something that can easily be modded in later, or you can artificially limit it yourself if you want to RP it in your gameplay.
Yep, the game won't force you to get cybernetic implants if you don't wish to install them. I'll probably do a playthrough where I build a character for netrunning for example, so I won't bother with installing cybernetic gorilla arms or cardiovascular implants because it doesn't really fit with the character plus maybe the base stats won't even support those modifications anyway. Limiting the number of cybernetic implants is already optional, so nothing is stopping people from playing how they want to play. Thus, I'd rather CDPR focus on not having to cut things that actually add to the city like trains, or implement interesting new gameplay features like wall-running.
Setting house rules is always an option, of course.
With seemingly more and more things (hacking/breaching, among others) being stripped of totally reasonable/acceptable complexity and "tedium" (because "too slow", "boring", "NOT FUN" and other such nonsense) it just would have been nice to have at least some (optional) game-imposed challenges for the more strategic mind, and without having to intentionally limit/gimp yourself in the role-playing context.

They've said in the past that some are. That you have to periodically check in for a ripperdoc for "story reasons"; for things to progress. The one in the 2018 demo was one of those.

If that's not the case anymore, if it has been implied that there are no mandatory cybeerwear, that'd be good news.
Last I heard it's still only the Kiroshi Optical Scanner and the Subdermal Grip that's mandatory to have installed.

Nah I think having V go Cyberpsycho is not a very interesting mechanic personally. I would have like it if they had humanity cost limiting Vs social/dialogue options, but otherwise I thinks it's better observed as a part of the world than participated in for the PC.

Last I heard it's still only the Kiroshi Optical Scanner and the Subdermal Grip that's mandatory to have installed.

Was it actually said it is "only" those two? I have a recollection that it was implied there would be a couple of others too down the line.
Post automatically merged:

Nah I think having V go Cyberpsycho is not a very interesting mechanic personally. I would have like it if they had humanity cost limiting Vs social/dialogue options, but otherwise I thinks it's better observed as a part of the world than participated in for the PC.

I think it could be designed to be somewhat interesting. And more so to add tension to ones choices on his cyberwear.

The screen could go reddish, movement to a drunkards duckwalk, and V might have a chance to automatically attack near by NPC's until you are either apprehended by MAXTAC who'd remove half of your cyber (you'd need to by them again) and let you back in the game, or you'd get to a certain kind of ripper doc who'd fix you for a price. Or something like that.

And on a somewhat postivie side, you might do tons more damage in melee/hth combat and withstand more punishment.

Not to mention what kind of story related consequences that might bring in.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
well there's definitely the interface slot in your neck, but i think that's been there since before the events of the game.
but there's glasses (that don't need to be installed) that do what the Kiroshi Optical Scanner does and that's in the 2020 lore...so...kinda...weird if that isn't an option...to me >_>

Was it actually said it is "only" those two? I have a recollection that it was implied there would be a couple of others too down the line.

I remember something about the brain/neural system too (which to me is the worst of the lots as it will basically makes you hackable).

VtMB had a "cyberpsychosis"-like mechanic. If you're low on blood, you might lose control and randomly attack pedestrians. Good thing about it: you don't need to reload to continue your game. It's a fun element, that spices things up a bit. And it's reversible. Mankind Divided had a good mechanic too that you can overload your systems if you enable too many augmentations. It cripples your performance, but doesn't send your to game over screen.

I don't think game over screen is a good mechanic at all. It feels like an achievement badge "we have cyberpsychosis too!" instead of something truly useful and enjoyable. Or they need to rework it completely so it's a meaningful part of gameplay experience and not a gimmick.

And Terminal Cyberpsychosis isn't like "the Beast" from Vampire: The Masquerade, you only become a total sociopath, but you are still as equally intelligent as before meaning you won't forcibly becomes someone who kill anyone who crosses he's path.

Actually you may end up like:
With a genuine hatred of "meatbags", and the intelligence to kill them only when you thinks there won't be bad consequences for you.

Actually you may end up like:
With a genuine hatred of "meatbags", and the intelligence to kill them only when you thinks there won't be bad consequences for you.

Red point for HK <3 On topic: I think an indicator in game that you are losing humanity (is this in game already?) would be interesting. I plan to balance it if possible.

I don't think game over screen is a good mechanic at all. It feels like an achievement badge "we have cyberpsychosis too!" instead of something truly useful and enjoyable. Or they need to rework it completely so it's a meaningful part of gameplay experience and not a gimmick.

For not being just another "game over" screen (and not just an achievement gimmick), I suggest that cyberpsychosis starts non-lethal, and you can overload yourself (with maluses) up to a point of no-return. (+++ add the known methods of curing psychosis in the book, like having sex, etc. = reducing the severity of maluses for an amount of time, WHICH makes good use of having sex in the game.)

Which means that those who want to make the 100% completion will get the achievement for dying from psychosis, while the others can still roleplay as / experience their character augmented to the bones (almost), which would make the game difficult in some way (but with advantages due to the augmentations)... More choices, more roleplay, more fun...

I wonder how many players would play with a character affected by cyberpsychosis (btw: isn't cyberpsychosis basically a game over in P-n-P?) and how many will just say "heh, nice" and load a previous save?

Last edited:
btw: isn't cyberpsychosis basically a game over in P-n-P?

Depends on the game master, but as C2020 is a game where peoples are supposed to work together (more or less willingly) it is a big problem anyway.

But in C2077 V isn't (and cannot be made) a member of a group.

Humanity.
I think there are multiple checks. But I mostly frenzied when I was on low blood.
Post automatically merged:

For not being just another "game over" screen (and not just an achievement gimmick), I suggest that cyberpsychosis starts non-lethal, and you can overload yourself (with maluses) up to a point of no-return. (+++ add the known methods of curing psychosis in the book, like having sex, etc. = reducing the severity of maluses for an amount of time, WHICH makes good use of having sex in the game.)

Which means that those who want to make the 100% completion will get the achievement for dying from psychosis, while the others can still roleplay as / experience their character augmented to the bones (almost), which would make the game difficult in some way (but with advantages due to the augmentations)... More choices, more roleplay, more fun...
It will only need it's own cyberpsychosis campaign. Given all that handcrafted cinematic stuff like animations and reactions in dialogues, it should probably take another couple of years of development. I don't think it's a viable option.

To reiterate on what I'd like to see CDPR do here:

Make cyberpsychosis affecting V a thing in the game. In form of the suggested optional difficulty modifier (exclusive to the highest difficulty or not) you'd have to manually enable at the beginning.

It doesn't need to be perfect. Don't bother too much with balancing and implement it as an additional game over state ("You have succumbed to cyberpsychosis") when the corresponding criteria (too much humanity lost) is met.

Leave it at this optional extra challenge for those who just want to make their V's life a little bit harder on top of not having to intentionally gimp/limit oneself when it comes to installing/upgrading cyberware and not having to constantly suspend disbelief as to why V is somehow immune to cyberpsychosis.
The already confirmed, at least 2 expansions should offer plenty opportunities to eventually fully integrate cyberpsychosis affecting V, both as an even more fleshed-out mechanic (similar to VtM-Bloodlines' Frenzy) as well as into the narrative and story with quests and questlines.

Top Bottom