Make cyberpsychosis affecting V an option

+
[...] and not having to constantly suspend disbelief as to why V is somehow immune to cyberpsychosis.

Are you arguing realism from a cyberpunk lore perspective or from a human perspective or something else? Why exactly do you say you have to suspend disbelief?

Are you arguing realism from a cyberpunk lore perspective or from a human perspective or something else? Why exactly do you say you have to suspend disbelief?
Lore perspective.
The suspension of disbelief bit may have been the wrong choice of words(?), not sure - what I was trying to get at is, that, at least for me it's an immersion-breaker that V for some inexplicable reason should be the exemption to the established rule, that "cyberpsychosis can affect anyone eventually".
Unless CDPR offers a plausible explanation, of course. Like the Silverhand shard (V apparently's going to have equipped/slotted-in pretty much the whole time anyway) as a side-effect suppressing or counteracting the symptoms of or even cyberpsychosis itself altogether.

Last edited:
Unless CDPR offers a plausible explanation, of course. Like the Silverhand shard (V apparently's going to have equipped/slotted-in pretty much the whole time anyway) suppressing or counteracting the symptoms of or even cyberpsychosis altogether.

That would be worthy of a rampage (because of having the immortality chip forcefully implanted in you) then a suicide (because now you would be unable to get rid of Silverhand without becoming crazy).

Lore perspective.
The suspension of disbelief bit may have been the wrong choice of words(?), not sure - what I was trying to get at is, that, at least for me it's an immersion-breaker that V for some inexplicable reason should be the exemption to the established rule, that "cyberpsychosis can affect anyone eventually".

Oh, I'm not too familiar with the lore. So everyone is afflicted by cyberpsychosis if you install enough cyberware? I thought it was an individual personality thing. Can someone enlighten me as someone who hasn't read the books?

It seems that you are implying that V should be inflicted by cyberpsychosis if he installs enough cyberwear, and if he isn't afflicted then it is immersion-breaking. Shouldn't the quote be "cyberpsychosis will affect everyone eventually" then?

That would be worthy of a rampage (because of having the immortality chip forcefully implanted in you) then a suicide (because now you would be unable to get rid of Silverhand without becoming crazy).
Working out the details and intricacies about this solution is a whole other story, of course.
Still, the basic idea of the shard also being the reason for V not succumbing to cyberpsychosis, no matter the amount of or the humanity cost associated with the installed cyberware, would be a compromise I could live with.

Oh, I'm not too familiar with the lore. So everyone is afflicted by cyberpsychosis if you install enough cyberware? I thought it was an individual personality thing. Can someone enlighten me as someone who hasn't read the books?

It seems that you are implying that V should be inflicted by cyberpsychosis if he installs enough cyberwear, and if he isn't afflicted then it is immersion-breaking. Shouldn't the quote be "cyberpsychosis will affect everyone eventually" then?
Good point. Could just be a case of unfortunate wording again, though.
That the wiki article meant "will affect" but for some reason went with the subjunctive possibility instead.

I'm no Cyberpunk lore expert either.
There could have been exemptions to the rule, like (notable) characters with a particularly strong will, able to withstand cyberpsychosis of any degree. If that's the case, then you could make the argument that V is just one of those rare, exceptionally strong-willed and mentally-stable outliers too, I guess.

I'd still prefer the Silverhand shard-compromise though. If the original suggestion is unattainable/unrealizable in those at least 3 months CDPR has left.

Working out the details and intricacies about this solution is a whole other story, of course.
Still, the basic idea of the shard also being the reason for V not succumbing to cyberpsychosis, no matter the amount of or the humanity cost associated with the installed cyberware, would be a compromise I could live with.

Good point. Could just be a case of unfortunate wording again, though.
That the wiki article meant "will affect" but for some reason went with the subjunctive possibility instead.

I'm no Cyberpunk lore expert either.
There could have been exemptions to the rule, like (notable) characters with a particularly strong will, able to withstand cyberpsychosis of any degree. If that's the case, then you could make the argument that V is just one of those rare, exceptionally strong-willed and mentally-stable outliers too, I guess.

I'd still prefer the Silverhand shard-compromise though. If the original suggestion is unattainable/unrealizable in those at least 3 months CDPR has left.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. My interpretation is that people getting cyberpsychosis after installing enough cyberware, and thus becoming psychos, is the exception rather than the rule, while your interpretation is that it is the rule rather than the exception.

It would be great if someone knows the lore well enough to inform us of how likely it is to get cyberpsychosis.

there is nothing from going into cyberpsychosis if you want. you can just make your character behave that way. and max-tac will eventually hunt you down. There just wont be any stat penalties or buffs from doing it unless some one mods some in later

It would be cool if V can get affected by Cyberpsychosis, it would make Cyberware more interesting more risk vs reward, thay can make list of negative side effect you can get from to much cyberware.

Why add humanity cost if V is immune of any side effect ? just so it tell you that you run out of space to instal cyberware.

It would be really sad if some modder add Cyberpsychosis with full range of effects that give pro and cons to cyberware.

VtMB had a "cyberpsychosis"-like mechanic. If you're low on blood, you might lose control and randomly attack pedestrians. Good thing about it: you don't need to reload to continue your game. It's a fun element, that spices things up a bit. And it's reversible. Mankind Divided had a good mechanic too that you can overload your systems if you enable too many augmentations. It cripples your performance, but doesn't send your to game over screen.

I don't think game over screen is a good mechanic at all. It feels like an achievement badge "we have cyberpsychosis too!" instead of something truly useful and enjoyable. Or they need to rework it completely so it's a meaningful part of gameplay experience and not a gimmick.
I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree on the parts where where the player is limited or punished. I want to modify my V so that they can have all the mods that I want with no limitations. I don't want to be punished for having fun, I just want to have fun.
Post automatically merged:

To reiterate on what I'd like to see CDPR do here:

Make cyberpsychosis affecting V a thing in the game. In form of the suggested optional difficulty modifier (exclusive to the highest difficulty or not) you'd have to manually enable at the beginning.

It doesn't need to be perfect. Don't bother too much with balancing and implement it as an additional game over state ("You have succumbed to cyberpsychosis") when the corresponding criteria (too much humanity lost) is met.

Leave it at this optional extra challenge for those who just want to make their V's life a little bit harder on top of not having to intentionally gimp/limit oneself when it comes to installing/upgrading cyberware and not having to constantly suspend disbelief as to why V is somehow immune to cyberpsychosis.
The already confirmed, at least 2 expansions should offer plenty opportunities to eventually fully integrate cyberpsychosis affecting V, both as an even more fleshed-out mechanic (similar to VtM-Bloodlines' Frenzy) as well as into the narrative and story with quests and questlines.
That would be great! I would love the option to fully modify my V and just enable the option to not ever get cyerpsychosis. That way I can just modify my V all that I want without being punished or limited. Lots of freedom, Lots of fun.

I agree with this too. Adam Smasher being a good example of how people in Cyberpunk can have loads of mods and be totally fine (yea I heard he had some trouble at one point, but still, he's been working for Arasaka for years no problem)

Lore perspective.
Unless CDPR offers a plausible explanation, of course. Like the Silverhand shard (V apparently's going to have equipped/slotted-in pretty much the whole time anyway) as a side-effect suppressing or counteracting the symptoms of or even cyberpsychosis itself altogether.
So if it can effect anyone eventually, then technically speaking it doesn't matter how many cyber-mods people get, even if they only get a computer chip in their head and the neck usb slot lol (minimal mods) Technically even they can get it. So really, it's pointless to link cyberpsychosis to the number of cyber-mods that someone has, or to limit the players ability to mod their V just because it's being treated as if "at this specific point, this many cyber-mods is TOO many cyber-mods" see what I mean? :shrug:

"Cyberpsychosis can affect anyone eventually, but the less empathetic a person is, the more susceptible they are to it."

It seems to have more to do with empathy than it has to do with ones own level of cyber-modded-ness.

Last edited:
Recently Miles Tost at Mad Queen Shows podcast spoke of Cyberpsychosis amongst other things.
Reason it is not included is because that would pretty much mean game over; it was a game over state in pen and paper.
This would mean effectively that V's story would come to an end and the game plot wouldn't work out.
Cyberpsychosis is still part of the game as you will have a chance to hunt some of them down as like mini-bosses of sort

Recently Miles Tost at Mad Queen Shows podcast spoke of Cyberpsychosis amongst other things.
Reason it is not included is because that would pretty much mean game over; it was a game over state in pen and paper.

Nope, that's only the final state of cyberpsychosis, when your empathy reached zero.
Before that you were making your character gradually worst at social interactions, and THAT was an interesting drawback to cyberware, as you had to draw the lines between how much you prioritized the social game over raw power.

C2077 seems to be a game where you just shred your body like you don't care, as there is no drawback.

Last edited:
I heard that you get status of cyberpsycho if you do random senseless killing GTA-style. Is it true?

Cyberpsychosis should be a hidden life path with it's own ending. Think of the possibilities that will open in the world.

V: Excuse me sir, do you know the way to the City Center?
Sir: Aaaaaaahhhh, get away from me, GET AWAY!
V: (Oh no, not another one)

Assuming this game is a success at least on part with TW3 and it gets a sequel, that would be an interesting idea worth considering for that sequel.

This would mean effectively that V's story would come to an end and the game plot wouldn't work out.
Cyberpsychosis is still part of the game as you will have a chance to hunt some of them down as like mini-bosses of sort
Except that it wouldn't mean "game over" (at least not in the truly finite sense) or that V's story would come to an end.

1. install too much cyberware or cyberware with too high a humanity cost attached to
2. screen/HUD fades/glitches to black, accompanied by V crying out in pain
3. "You have succumbed to cyberpsychosis" fades in (similar to "YOU DIED")
4. At the bottom of the screen, you're given the option to "Reload" (or "Reload from Last Save")

But I guess having to "endure" an additional game over state/screen (in addition to the standard "You have died" one(s)) is too much to ask of your extraordinarily impatient audience these days.

C2077 seems to be a game where you just shred your body like you don't care, as there is no drawback.
Where self-imposed house rules or intentionally "gimping" yourself comes into play.
Wouldn't it be great if one didn't have to resort to such measures and the game itself (optionally) would set the limits for you instead?

Where self-imposed house rules or intentionally "gimping" yourself comes into play.
Wouldn't it be great if one didn't have to resort to such measures and the game itself (optionally) would set the limits for you instead?

Personally I don't play videogame to play "Make believe" like a child, so if it's not there, it's not there.

Besides, having a limit (and I think there is one anyway) wouldn't change the fact that your character doesn't care about shredding his body, nor is mentally affected by it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom