Make Lord of Undvik lockable (opinion)

+
Make Lord of Undvik lockable (opinion)

I didn't see any complain about Hjalmar so it might be just me, but I really think Lord of Undvik should be lockable to prevent Hjalmar stat gain. The card right now is one of the reasons why Skellige is dominating the ladder, 25 unkillable points without any risks (I wouldn't call not being able to deal 5 damage a risk) is just too much IMO, and combining him with Kambi is a free round 3 win. Yeah I know "run shackles dummy!" but then Hjalmar gets resurrected the next round and I am in the same situation.
Opinions?

I don't know if its meant to be like this but Letho can absorb it without setting off the +10 to Hjalmar. In any case, it's not the end all for Skellige. Most faction has a high strength gold. And you don't have to kill anything...

Yeah letho banishes, he doesn't destroy, so he won't trigger hjalmar's boost.

Also, if you run shackles you effectively stop hjalmar, and he gets destroyed as well if khambi is played, so it's a pretty devastating blow to the other player.

Dbomb also resets his boost.

I don't think he's an issue at all. He's just a pretty strong card with very good synergy with another very good gold. If lord of unvik became lockable, hjalmar would be a pretty bad gold card with a high probability of being just a 10 value gold. The bears are the problem right now, not hjalmar, IMO.

Well, you can lock Hjamar with Shackles. Also, I don't know what ladder you mention but i'm pretty sure that any SK decks cannot be as competitive as Dagon or NR machine deck atm.

pthieu1986;n8937270 said:
Well, you can lock Hjamar with Shackles. Also, I don't know what ladder you mention but i'm pretty sure that any SK decks cannot be as competitive as Dagon or NR machine deck atm.

Today I watched a Lifecoach stream and he played almost exclusively against SK (and with SK). Well he is top 20, so SK seems to be top tier atm.

pthieu1986;n8937270 said:

SK dominates the top of the ladder right now.

DRK3

Forum veteran
My main deck (in Closed Beta too) is a Kambi + Hjalmar and it's doing even better than before. Thanks to the faction specific lock units, people use those instead of d-shackles, and d-bomb also appears rarely, so i haven't had a single player stop my Hemdall, i think only times i've lost are when i get terrible luck with draws and when i used Kambi too soon and opponent's NR were still able to recover with little cards.

And i got even bigger plans for Hjalmar: get Renew and Sigrdrifa, so i can renew Hjalmar on R3 (assuming i used Hemdall and Hjalmar on R2), and Siggy to revive Holger Blackhand and destroy Lord of Undvik again, that's good value with just 2 cards.

It should also be a bronze unit so its more interactable. For example NR could now shuffle it away with medic.

ChrisFromOz;n8936440 said:
I don't know if its meant to be like this but Letho can absorb it without setting off the +10 to Hjalmar. In any case, it's not the end all for Skellige. Most faction has a high strength gold. And you don't have to kill anything...

Other than Tibor what golds are you referring to?

Tschjo;n8938290 said:
It should also be a bronze unit so its more interactable. For example NR could now shuffle it away with medic.

Na, that would make it way too easy to counter it. It's a gold card and it needs to draw a decent amount of value. 25 strength in two turns that can be countered with D-Bomb, D-Shackles and sometimes even with potions seems okay to me.

devivre;n8938660 said:
Na, that would make it way too easy to counter it. It's a gold card and it needs to draw a decent amount of value. 25 strength in two turns that can be countered with D-Bomb, D-Shackles and sometimes even with potions seems okay to me.

Nonsense. Countered with Shackles what dump logic is that? So your opponents plays a 10 power unit you shackle it therefore its countered???? The guy has a 15 power body regardless countering it would mean you remove that 15 power while keeping your 5 power body with ONE card only. Shackle doesnt counter anything nor does D bomb. They just transform themself into 10 power plays against your opponents 20 power play( Base strength + your lost card).

devivre;n8938660 said:

25 is too much even for a gold card. Even Tibor, the card everyone hated last patch, was still better than Hjalmar since it draw you a bronze card which on average worth 8 points, resulting in a net 17 point gain pre nerf. Also Hjalmar with Kambi basically wins you round three if your opponent doesn't draw his shackles (and running more than 1 shackle in a deck will make you suffer against the other factions)

Last edited:
Mombamambo;n8938750 said:
25 is too much even for a gold card. Even Tibor, the card everyone hated last patch, was still better than Hjalmar since it draw you a bronze card which on average worth 8 points, resulting in a net 17 point gain pre nerf. Also Tibor with Kambi basically wins you round three if your opponent doesn't draw his shackles (and running more than 1 shackle in a deck will make you suffer against the other factions)

Tibor gives you 23 in one turn, while in many situations the opponent gets a weak bronze for it.

Hjalmar takes TWO turns to reach 25.... which requires you can also remove the L. of Undvik unit. If you can't do that, it's only worth 10 points.

Kambi is a different issue - I wouldn't have buffed Kambi.

Tschjo;n8938730 said:
Nonsense. Countered with Shackles what dump logic is that? So your opponents plays a 10 power unit you shackle it therefore its countered???? The guy has a 15 power body regardless countering it would mean you remove that 15 power while keeping your 5 power body with ONE card only. Shackle doesnt counter anything nor does D bomb. They just transform themself into 10 power plays against your opponents 20 power play( Base strength + your lost card).

It's not nonsense, but I guess it's useless to try to explain it to you.

Besides there are a lot of bronze cards that easily buff up to 15+. I'd worry more about that.

devivre;n8938880 said:
It's not nonsense, but I guess it's useless to try to explain it to you.

Besides there are a lot of bronze cards that easily buff up to 15+. I'd worry more about that.

Try me. So because some of the best bronze cards in their perfect environment can get to 15 power too does support what argument in what way?

devivre;n8938820 said:
Tibor gives you 23 in one turn, while in many situations the opponent gets a weak bronze for it.

Hjalmar takes TWO turns to reach 25.... which requires you can also remove the L. of Undvik unit. If you can't do that, it's only worth 10 points.

You cannot really look at a card in such a narrow context though. For instance, if you shackle Hjalmar in R1 or R2 (if he even gets played there), he can be repulled from the GY and replayed. The Hjalmar/Kambi combo is ridiculous as well, especially if a card like Avalach is on the SK board. You essentially need to shackle Hjalmar there, as not much can top the +24 they get from 2 golds left up (minus the, I believe, 11 Kambi gives up). If you don't have shackles or 3+ high body golds up it's damn near guaranteed to be a lost round.

Even the bear threads miss the fact one point of damage can put important cards in a position to be sniped. Cards some decks may need to have a realistic shot at a round. This is before even looking at the synergy that damage has with other SK cards. It's also before looking at situations where 2-3 bears are on the board. Throw it altogether and consider the fact bears can be replayed/ressed, and it isn't an insignificant point of damage.

Flat numbers omit the potency of tempo as well, which impacts who has CA.

But yes, Kambi can drown in a fire. So can Renew.....

devivre;n8938820 said:

No, this is flawed because Lugos,Triss, Blackhand, the Shieldmaidens or whatever is used to take Undvik out bring also quite some points to the battlefield.
Hjalmar is a beast.

Top Bottom