Make non-lethal takedown matter (gameplay-wise)

+

poosh

Forum regular
There are a few quests where non-lethal takedowns matter, but, otherwise, there is no difference between stealth-killing and non-lethal takedowns.

I suggest the following:
  • Non-lethal takedowns give more stealth XP than the lethal ones.
  • Enemies can wake up after a non-lethal takedown. Wake up time depends on the player's stealth level and maybe some perks.
  • After the wake-up, the NPC raises an alert and resumes the fight unless put into a container.
  • If put into a container, the NPC cannot escape. However, he/she still can produce sounds after the wake-up, alerting others nearby.
  • Clearing the area gives the player bonus XP for every enemy left alive ("pacifist XP"). NPCs that wake up after the area gets cleared become non-hostile (run away).
  • [OPTIONAL] Introduce a perk into the stealth skill tree to display the enemy wake-up clock on the HUD.
So there will be the choice between easy stealth-killing or more challenging non-lethal takedowns for extra XP. Basically, the first non-lethal takedown starts a countdown to clear the area before the alarm gets raised.

I really like all of these ideas. Meaningful non-lethal mechanics, a la Metal Gear Solid.
Here's hoping most (if not all) of these ideas will find their way into the game!

Yes, use some of Metal Gear's stealth mechanics and game design.. Because, why would I worry about choosing a 'Non-Lethal' or 'Kill' takedown or enemy defeat.. when an enemy is 'knocked out' by a non-lethal defeat or takedown when they will not 'wake up' if I'm discovered, the body is discovered or an alarm goes off while trying to be stealthy.

Top Bottom