Make The Witcher 2 modding great again.

+
Make The Witcher 2 modding great again.

Hi everyone.

You don't know me and I don't know you. But I know the content of a lot this forum members. And I know your passion for this game serie (or at least I can imagine that this passion is as huge as mine). If we post here it's because The Witcher has a special place in our hearts. As a lot of you I was full of joy when the Redkit for The Witcher 2 was released. And like a lot of you I was surprised ans sad when I saw that this tool gave birth to so few mods (barely 349 on nexus).

I can't explain why. Some people say it's because The Witcher 2 is not attractive to mod unlike a Skyrim or Fallout. Personally I disagree. I just think Redkit was release too soon (which is kind of paradoxe considering how late it came out and the absence of Redkit for W3). It came out before enough such talented modders as we can see now on the third game took in interest in the serie. Or maybe this is wrong. Maybe it is something else entirely that made the Redkit to not find its public. However the reason why is not important. What matter is what we realise what a waste of opportunities this was.

I explain myself the absence of Redkit for W3 (not saying I am right) by this failure. So I remember myself from time to time when I tried to learn how to use this wonderful tool. Sadly I lacked time. And I had obviously no talent for it. I wonder... If I managed to use the tool and more people also did... would things have been different for The Witcher 3? Maybe. Maybe not. But one thing is for sure. The Witcher 2 would have been a great game for mods.

Lykaon unfortunatly never came out. But Rustine and three others modders are bringing something special: Farewell of the White Wolf. This is an initiative like I wasn't hoping for anymore. I wish there was more. I know it might sounds selfish from someone who can't mod (for now). But I think that before asking for a Redkit 2 we should squeeze everything we can from the first. Because we clearly haven't. Rustine and friends are making something that I hope will prove it.

So I implore modders to make The Witcher 2 modding great again (Eventhough it would be more accurate to say make The Witcher 2 modding great period). To make more of this kind of association for The Witcher 2. At best it could bring a second Redkit in the long run. At worse it could bring back interest of people in The Witcher 2. One annoucement by Rustine and I have the feeling that the game is already more alive so to speak.

Thank for reading my sentimental pile words. And if anyone is interested why not share ideas and discuss organisation here?

There are at least 10 fan adventures for TW2. Have you tried them all? Some of them have a lot to offer. Even in its unfinished state Lykaon is well worth a play.

I was writing a review list of all the TW2 adventures as I did for TW1, but I'm postponing it until Farewell of the White Wolf is out.

The redkit was released less then a year prior to the initial release date of the witcher 3, this alone made modders concerned because a long adventure mod take about 6 months to a year to crate. Another issue was the lack of documentation, do you know how hard it is to set fog and lighting? there was never any document that explained it . After the launch of the witcher 3 everyone wanted to play that game, it is an open world game so it feels like the game is asking for a modder's loving hand to tell the story of so many areas.

Now you don't have any documentation because CDPR decided to remove the redkit wiki so a modder don't know how to spawn enemies, how to change skin color or hair and a lot more things that ware part of the wiki before the witcher 3 was out.
I wanted to start a mod i wrote an outline of the story, planed the area (which should have been huge) and then i found a lot of glass walls, i need to create a cut scene where dandelion hug a female friend and her fiance storm out in anger, i don't have a clue how to do it. I want to create a community of adventurers that enter dungeons in order to look for treasures, don't have a clue how to do it. i want to change part of the monsters attack again don't know how to do it and couldn't figure it out alone even after 30 min of tinkering. I have a day job and a family with 3 kids i want to create mods and i will find the time to create them but i don't have the time and will to do backword detective work in order to reinvent the wheel.

If you want a good and vibrant witcher 2 modding community the the community need to help each other, with witcher 3 models, documentation that will explain what to do. we need that the expert modders will try to help the novice ones.

Last edited:
I'm also trying to create an adventure for witcher 2 but it is so difficult to create one (for all the reasons you all mentioned). I think the idea of thread dedicated to answering questions for redkit is great and I would gladly share some knowledge I gathered (it is not much tho) but I'm not sure they will be others willing to do so.

I am so glad that people have started seeing the appeal of the REDkit in the last few days. And i think there really needs to be a fanmade wiki for the REDkit, alternatively a megathread for tips and tricks so people can share their timesavers and skills! I do encourage people to ask about REDkit here on the forum though, the more life the better! And of course i will do my best to respond to that which i can help with. Cheers

So a real start would be the creation of a guide if I follow correctly? Then we could try to do it. About the creation of world in itself this person already made a fine job. We could ask permission to write down his videos for example or just make our guide influenced with the information he gathered?

Here is the link of the playlist he made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqESarjoqhM&list=PLnv7m7ignlo4jfUcrx77brdnJgFxlp54b

We can make something great for The Witcher 2. The next step would be how to make new story/ script content then how to make new equipement content?

A wiki would be the best option I think as well because they are easy to find and if well made have the trust of people in generally.

Phase 1: Make a Wiki/ Guide
Phase 2: Make awesome mods
Phase 3: Enjoy ourselves like never before again with The Witcher 2.

Last edited:
I knew about all those videos but I tried to use Redkit recruiter and of course I wasn't able to do it, so thank you for providing correct link!!! This is a good start.

Last edited:
That's a great idea, to make modders community great again. I was trying to create my own adventure, but I found a really big problem - lack of people. This is very hard for only one person to create something big and great, so my project is still waiting to be completed... I hope someday I will end this ;)

As Blafflamm and minicrom said creating fan made wikia is best thing we can do. I don't have time or knowledge to create one but I would be able to create some pages on it. Sooooo is there anyone who wants to set up a new Redkit wikia?

Stolarro94 said:
Please, write some topics for tutorials, that you need
Make one about global fog, how to change its colour, density, display distance. I don't know if it is possible to change these parameters (well except colour becouse there are lots of different colours of global fog in base game) but if it is a tutorial would be very helpful. And of course thank you in advance.

If anybody is interested I still have redkit manual from times I was messing about with it. I've no idea if it's still available samewhere else.
https://app.box.com/s/wwf73yzu0spszwz0lsccj6rervph2mag
Thanx this is grerat.

Ok, in my spare time I'm gonna do tutorial about changing env. area settings. Any other wishes?
Thank you so much

Is it possible to create a tutorial about spawning enemies and how to change their behavior and spawning time.
if i may ask what is the largest map size allowed by the game, tried to set 4000m and something was off there. another question if i may, how can i add a set of materials (usually i try to use hires 0,0 and it can only give 13 texture paints)

Last edited:
Is it possible to create a tutorial about spawning enemies and how to change their behavior and spawning time.

No problem. But please, give me a time and a wikipage, where I can write this :D

if i may ask what is the largest map size allowed by the game, tried to set 4000m and something was off there.

I don't know, where is the limit, but I created once a really big map (4000x4000) without any problems. But If you want to do this, you have to know one little trick. During creating terrain mesh, you have to change terrain position. For example If your terrain is 2000x2000, you have to set position to -1000 x -1000.

another question if i may, how can i add a set of materials (usually i try to use hires 0,0 and it can only give 13 texture paints)

Only 13? I can give max 16...

Top Bottom