Make The Witcher 2 modding great again.

+
I managed to do the same thing with Eskel (changed Geralt's head, deleted his hair but didn't touch armor) and I still had Geralt's hair. For some time I was wondering why this was happening and I finally know why. When you resolve this problem feel free to write tutorial on this topic.

The fast answer to this is:

Geralt's hair are seen as an item from the engine's perspective. An item that can be equiped (just not by the player - but by the scripts).
It can be solved by clearing the entire inventory (Character Customizer thing in scripts), this is important: *AFTER the desired target model (Eskel in your case) is applied* - no matter the technique you are using. When I first cleared the inventory and then changed the model to Ves, it overlapped with Geralt's basic model for some reason. Doing it the other way around removes this issue. If you replaced the default Geralt apperance, then that condition will always be true, so you won't have to worry about it.

After clearing the inventory you should, using the Character Customizer, give the player all of the Witcher's starting equipment, but without the hair. This is done by first copying the "witcher_inventory" entity template and modifying it. I tried also creating one from the scratch, but it didn't work, so just copy this one, go to the Inventory tab and remove the hair, and change whatever you want. Then you link the template in the Character Customizer.

As you will see when editing that template - even the magic signs count as spells. Without adding them to the inv, the player won't be able to use magic (there were no special effects when I attempted to).

Actually it can be done by simple replacing aswell, in that case just edit the original "witcher_inventory", but keep in mind that if you modify original files, they will affect all of your mods (those that you're working on) and may (or may not, I am not sure how it detects which files are bound to which map) get cooked alongside the other files, so you will have to remember every modified original file and keep backups of these files to restore them later. This creates confusion, so I would rather work on a duplicate.

These are the basic guidelines for this. I'll write a more detailed tutorial soon, starting today. Idk when I will finish that, but maybe even tomorrow.

The biggest problem right now is with... voicetags. There are two variations:

1) In the "player" file, I tick only the default apperance. It can be switched by a script and it works fine, BUT any apperance that wasn't ticked will make the dialogues look really really not right (the player character stands with their back turned to the NPC, the camera angles get really weird), because voicetags can't be attached to an apperance that wasn't ticked.

2) Tick all the apperances and attach voicetags. But then, when the player is loaded, the apperance is selected randomly. Now if I want one of the alternative apperances... works fine after switching with a script. But if I want Geralt... oh dear god. If Geralt's model gets selected randomly - it works fine. But if any of the other models is selected - his body parts are missing. This could be fixed only by equipping stuff on those body parts, but if I unequip these items, their models stay. That is not the worst case, but the body parts disappear again after saving and loading the game.

This is because if the first loaded (in this case - random) apperance has no equipment on a certain body part, the engine doesn't try to replace it. Let's say I gave Ves (alt model) some stuff in legs and boots categories. And if Ves gets randomly picked, then the script switches to Geralt, his legs are the only part that show up. I'll try playing with settings in the equipment tab.

UPDATE: In the end, I went with a little bit different route. The tutorial is now on the wikia:
http://redkit.wikia.com/wiki/Changing_Main_Character's_Apperance

Last edited:
Great job Unelith! I will write some pages for the wiki in the coming days! It's great to have it up and running! But the Wikia is free so that you are not paying any hosting fees or anything, right?

Of course it's free... and thank God it's free.

Thanks in advance for that - the more content there is, the better. I'll try to contribute more aswell, but first I obviously need to find out how to do certain things.

Ok I'am almost done with cleaning my models, rearanging files etc. but I have one problem. I cannot find 3d model for corner of thatched houses (medium and big). They are almost complete but those corners are missing and I can not publish this package without them. Corners are present in all other models though (witch houses) as they are parts of the base models. Here is comparison.
View attachment 66720
So where can I find this model? This question is mainly aimed at Nemomallo, as he has the most knowledge on this topic (I think) but anyone who knows the answer is welcomed.

Attachments

• wall-problem.jpg
    wall-problem.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hey @Antonsky_07
try out this model ... environment/architecture/human/redania/nomans_land/thatched_buildings/thatched_house_corner_detail.w2mesh:rly?:
There are also a short one and a burned one if you are interested in those.
Hope I could help
Greetings Nemo

Edit: It's not Nemomallo it's just Nemo..... there was some issue with creating an acount.. and Nemo was ocupied so I had to lengthen it. but just Nemo... :D

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaand it's on nexus!
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/m...r2/ajax/moddescription/?id=811&preview=&pUp=1
Couple things about it. First, I don't know if placing those files in redkit directory will work, so download it and tell me if everything is all right. Second thing this is early version so check everything, tell me if quality of models is okay, give me suggestions what would you change etc. Also there is one more thing, I have those thatched houses in three versions with opened windows, with closed and without window casement at all (just to clarify). Also I'm giving this link in this thread so it's easier to find it.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...mported-into-the-REDKit?p=2816901#post2816901

EDIT: so aparently this method of importing witcher resources is not working, HarelMor said that it is not working for him, so download the file and tell me if it's working for you so that I will be sure that it's not working.

Last edited:
View attachment 67490View attachment 67500Hello @Antonsky07
as Stolarro94 mentions there are no w2ent or w2mesh files in the folder. The data, which is imported into the REDkit is sometimes (At least for me) Restored in the C:\Users\........(your user name)\AppData directory for me the path to a imported file would be C:\Users\........(your user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 2\data\the witcher 3\..... etc.
Does this help you?

Attachments

• path_01.jpg
    path_01.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 62
  • path_02.jpg
    path_02.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hello @Antonsky07
as Stolarro94 mentions there are no w2ent or w2mesh files in the folder. The data, which is imported into the REDkit is sometimes (At least for me) Restored in the C:\Users\........(your user name)\AppData directory for me the path to a imported file would be C:\Users\........(your user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 2\data\the witcher 3\..... etc.
Does this help you?
Yes, I now see there are no w2ent w2mesh or even textures (with the exception of leftover files) I cannot find redkit directory in
C:\Users\........(your user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program FIles (x86)\The Witcher 2\data\the witcher 3\
my path looks like C:\Program Files (x86)\Wiedźmin 2\data and the problem is that in every other folder there are files (w2ents and w2meshes) but my folders are empty. It might also be connected with another problem I have. I created a map named Test2. It can be accessed from redkit but it's invinsible when looking through files.

@Antonsky07
Hm like I said some data is not stored in the visible folder. Maybe you should browse the C:\Users\AppData folder a little bit more. Because if the data is in the REDkit it has to be on you computer you just have to find the folder. Maybe activating invisible folders might also help you a bit while searching for the data?
By the way I also can't open or load the texture files of the first folder in REDkit.
For further questions send me a private message.
Thanks
Nemo

Last edited:
Yesssss, thanks to Nemo I've found it. They were placed deep in hidden folder. Now you should place it in C:\Users\user's name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Wiedźmin 2\data. In order to do it you have to check the option see hidden files. Here is tutorial how to do it:
http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10.html
After download tell me if everything is fine as I still don't know if this method will work.
Here's link http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/m...2/ajax/modimages/?id=811&user=1&gid=153&pUp=1

Hello Dear Comunity,

I have now also uploaded my package of files onto the nexus website. If you have trouble with it, like some materials or texture won't look like you expect the, send a pm to me. Concerning the "installation" copy the files into your C:\Users\user's name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 2(Wiedźmin 2 etc.)\data.
If you just want to take a look at the files place it into data folder of your witcher installation. If you don't like them you can delete them there easy maunaly.
But keep in mind that the proper saving place is the AppData folder.

The link to the files: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/813/?

Link to the topic in the forum: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-3-1-files-imported-into-the-REDKit?p=2816901

Greetings
Nemo

Can i make an open request aswell? If someone with more experience in optimization of levels in REDkit could give some tips that one might not know of, or alternatively write a short guide on redkit.wikia.com maybe that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom