Make The Witcher 2 modding great again.

+
When the summer vacation will be over and i will have the ability to be near my computer for more then 10 min gaze earlier then 1-2am i will try to learn a bit more about the redkit.

linaswas_001 asked me in another topic about exporting witcher 3 assets to witcher 2. I have some models of houses from witcher 3 and I'll can share those files as soon as I get back home. I think that we should create some kind of database of models that moders will be able to use in redkit. And to answer linaswas question yes you can use models of npc, vegetation and monsters but there is problem. You can export their skeleton but currently you cannot export their animations. The author of the exporting tool said that he is working on extracting animations so maybe we will be able to get them into witcher 2 redkit.

I have some models of houses from witcher 3 and I'll can share those files as soon as I get back home.

I will be very thankful if you'll do that, thanks.I've recently started to fool around in redkit, it's little bit complicated for a newbie like me, but I'll carry on and see if I can manage to make something cool. Also, what about the FX? Such and snowing etc.

Also I really want the houses from skellige, of course if you have those :D

Thank you for having a patience.

linaswas_001 asked me in another topic about exporting witcher 3 assets to witcher 2. I have some models of houses from witcher 3 and I'll can share those files as soon as I get back home. I think that we should create some kind of database of models that moders will be able to use in redkit. And to answer linaswas question yes you can use models of npc, vegetation and monsters but there is problem. You can export their skeleton but currently you cannot export their animations. The author of the exporting tool said that he is working on extracting animations so maybe we will be able to get them into witcher 2 redkit.

Thank you so much for this, your hard work is appreciated.

Ok so it's going to take a little bit longer because I want to import more models to this package mainly from skellige so you guys would have something to work with. Then I will occasionally update package with new models but if there is something you want just ask for it (maybe except character models because I haven't exported anything with skeleton yet).

Last edited:
Ok so it's going to take a little bit longer because I want to import more models to this package mainly from skellige so you guys would have something to work with. Then I will occasionally update package with new models but if there is something you want just ask for it (maybe except character models because I haven't exported anything with skeleton yet).
You are a life saver. thank you so much. For me the most important thing is city buildings and their interiors if it will be possible.

@Antonsky07

Which models did you already import and adjust for the Redkti because I don't want to importing something from the witcher 3 to the redkit what someone allready imported. I would be nearly the same work just done twice. Could you make some list or so? Would be nice.
You are also working with the Witcher Converter ?

Thanks

@Antonsky07

Which models did you already import and adjust for the Redkti because I don't want to importing something from the witcher 3 to the redkit what someone allready imported. I would be nearly the same work just done twice. Could you make some list or so? Would be nice.
You are also working with the Witcher Converter ?

Thanks
Ok, so I have converted following models
\environment\architecture\human\redania\nomans_land\thatched_buildings\thatched_house_medium(all components)
\environment\architecture\human\redania\nomans_land\thatched_buildings\thatched_house_medium(without interior)
\environment\architecture\human\redania\nomans_land\witch_houses\witch_house(without basement)
\environment\architecture\human\redania\nomans_land\witch_houses\witch_children_house(all components)
\environment\architecture\human\skellige\hindarsfjall\peat_houses_set\peat_house_big(all components)
I also have place of power model and some rock models but I thought that rocks (with the exception of place of power) look bad in witcher 2 engine but I will upload them as well. Yes I use Witcher Converter by JLouisB. I tried using witcher 3 .w2mesh files but they clearly are not the same file format and can not be used in Witcher 2. Also if you are importing files to redkit would you share them with us? I think the community needs to have a great amount of resources but one person is not able to do it alone.

Last edited:
@Antonsky07

Hey,
what I feared already happened. I did the witch_children_house too (ok without collision mesh) But second question did you just import them into the Red Kit or did you already create a entity template with all in it combined that it looks as it should? That is also important and needs some time.
Do you also do collision meshes or did you do them without…. it means building invisible collision meshes with already existing meshes?
Did you get all textures also speculars, because I did not get the speculars via extracting the bundle files?
If you have to update your list can you just edit your original post; instead of posting a new one?
Last but not least did you import models with more than 2 LODs? I think my Red Kit always crushed by trying to do that.
I sure have more questions to ask.... but do not recall them for now...

Regarding your question, first I would say yes, but second I don't know about the legal concerns about sharing stuff. I think it won't cause problems but I am not sure... I am personally much happier if people have bought the witcher 3. I think those people have somehow the right to have the models and stuff in the Red Kit.
In all, you mean only sharing .re files because the other files could be also used by people, who aren't interested in the Red Kit. Ok they could import and export them again via the converter but it would be work for them...

Basically I would also love to share the stuff! Like I said a while ago wyzima castle would probably be shared! The Problem with the stuff is it takes so much time to combine the single meshes into the big building. Second problem is collision meshes, which I can't do. And the third issue might be, that I am building the templates as I like and als import the meshes in a size as I like without concerning ( at least until now) what others will think about it. Fourth issue I sometimes renamed the files and my folder structure of the data folder is not the same as in the witcher 3.
Probably I did forget to mention something ...sorry for that.
Will do a list (if I have time doing so).. what was imported and actualise it.... without new post just edit the original post.
So Bye... have a nice day
Nemo

Edit:

@HarelMor

Thank you,
but denied areas do not work as static meshes with the camera so it is no option.... with buildings. I must admit that I sometimes used the exact mesh collision, hope to solve the problem by streaming eg. the mesh with the exact collision.
Second answer... thanks .... watched the tuts long time ago.... first time was 2013 it was in the beginning so annoying to work with it that I just started to work with it last winter again.... hm a bit off topic.
Anyways, I have another important question, has anyone imported some detail maps of the witcher 3? Are there any? Second question has someone tried to import textures for making new texturepaint out of it?

Nemo

Last edited:
@Nemomallo Thank you for you hard work and effort, as a modder i would try to use denied areas for locations that i cant go, another option if the model is not too complex try to make the editor create the collision (hope i remember it correctly).

@Nemomallo
Ok this is a lot to take in but here we go.
I have imported all models into redkit and they are ready to be used in game. I have created entity templates for the most of buildings but when I publish the package everything will be compiled into entity template. Unfortunatelly I didn't make models with collisions. I also didn't get speculars from bundle files. And I have my models with only 1 LOD for the same reason as you. I think that we should accept that some things are not possible with the tool we were given (redkit) as it is still in its beta and will never be updated. And about that witch_children_house your is probably better than mine, because it was one of the first models that I imported (the second one being witch_house) and it doesn't have LODs.

About legal stuff CDPR said that it is completly legal to use their assets in fan creations and thus mods probably as long as you don't have any financial income from it (I say probably because I don't remember it clearly). It is main reason why mods for skyrim with witcher characters and weapons exist.

Also don't worry about sizes of models. My models are also messy af and I try to rescale them when compiling entities. I have also slightly altered witcher 3 paths (example my all textures sit in one folder). So you see we share a lot of those irritating behaviors but the truth is that people won't care and they will probably enjoy all those models.

Ohh and I have question. Have you imported tower from quest "tower outta nowhere"? Because I'm doing that right now and I don't want to duplicate your work either.

Last edited:
@Antonsky07
Hm,
I know by myself that it is much work but I would appreciate at least models with two LODs.
Other question I forgot to ask which shader you did/do use. I use normaly
environment_levels\shaders\detailmat.w2mg
or
environment_levels\shaders\detailmat_2sided.w2mg
If you use them, do you use detailmaps? I messed around with them but did never use the DiffusseDetailPower just DetailRange,NormalDetailPower and DetailRotation never changed diff_color or anything else. Did you make some billboards for your models? Maybe I will look myself into this also. Could you give the mesh all the time also a sound material (its under properties)?
Or in general, could we make some norms about importing stuff (with time also in a tutorial).
And last question for everyone did anyone ever use the tools in the mesh window of the Red Kit?
And also does someone know how to get the speculars! In an easy way!

Edit:
@Antonsky07
Yes with LOD0 and LOD1 I mean two.... because LOD0 is actually also a LOD so ...... allways two there are no more no less :smile:
With time I mean it takes time to do them.
I don't know if I mean with billboard a 2D presentation, but I think ( there are some meshes like betula_billboard_b). It would be nice to know how to do them in Red kit or in genneral, because 2D is smaller than 3D models. Maybe it will be usefull in bigger worlds like 1500*1500 or 1000*1000. I am most eager to hear how to make them. Thanks
Nemo

Last edited:
First thing LODs, how do you count them? Because by saying I use one LOD i meant LOD0 and LOD1. So you count that as two LODs or one? I use environment\materials\stdMatDetail.w2mg because I think that there is no reason to use the second one (all witcher 3 models are created in such way that you don't have to use two sided material). I've played only with normaldetailpower and it makes a difference but in most cases the results are unwanted. By bilboard you mean 2d representation of model? I havent done those because I didn't need them but I would be able to do them in blender with no problem. I haven't done anything sound related yet. And of course we can make some norms about quality of models but I don't quite understand this thing with time could you maybe explain it? And I also have no idea what tools do.

Edit: Ok so in order to do those bilboards you need to know how to use some kind of 3d software I personally use blender because it is in my opinion the easiest option (and its free too :)). There are many ways to do it but I would do it like that: import model with all textures into 3d program change your camera to right angle, place green plane(or if your model is green, then blue) behind it and just make a screenshot or render it. Then in some kind of 2d program (gimp or photoshop) change green or blue to transparent and save it. Finally apply it as a texture to some kind of plane in redkit.

And one more thing. Could you write larger stuff in new posts, I know whats going on in this thread but it might be a little bit confusing for people new to this. Also checking if someone replied to you is easier that way. And the reason why I edit this post is just because I dont want to double post.

Last edited:
So... *has* there been created an unofficial RedKit-specific wiki? I am not talking about the all-rounded ones about The Witcher, for I already know those...

If there is - maybe I could contribute a bit. If there is not - it's not a problem to create a new one. I can do it myself. Just tell me to. I am sure the website graphics won't be important. The point is - there must be one place where all the tutorials are well organized and put together.

I agree it's a shame that RedKit seems to be forgotten. With no RedKit for Witcher 3 in sight, Witcher 2 is the best choice if we want to mod a game. So I suggest that we act more (like right now), talk less. Every wiki relies on it's community and if I would end up there just by myself it would be demoralizing.

So I want a straight up, short answer. Is there a wiki (if yes - link please), or shall I make one right now?

http://redkit.wikia.com/wiki/REDkit_Wikia

There you go. Maybe not the most flashy and pretty website in the world, but it will do for now. I hope that it will grow eventually. I will probably write some tutorials by myself, off my own experience. As of right now I just learned how to create a "Kill this guy" quest, and how to make this guy turn hostile and attackable. Too bad that mr. This Guy falls after a single blow and doesn't even bother to fight back.

I'm also planning to work on things that might aid total conversion mods. I have seen a Polish tutorial (my native language) about replacing Geralt with someone else's model, I think I will try it out and maybe translate it.

Last edited:
I know that, but I think they won't destroy it (atleast not with such ease) if it's hosted on Wikia servers.

@Unelith
Thank you so much!!! With recent activity in this thread and creation of Redkit wikia I think that we might manage to bring back intrest in modding Witcher 2, which is really great. Also I will be dropping first batch of Witcher 3 moddels soon. I just need to compile those models into entities. One last thing, they won't delete this wikia simply because they don't have anything with it. Previous wikia was deleted because it was part of their website.

Last edited:
I also managed to do that little thing:
View attachment 65791

I didn't replace Geralt, I only added an alternative apperance for him. Even though it required replacing one in-game file (and obiously adding few new ones), it can be done in such a way that apperance will change only if certain mod author wanted it. It can be switched via the quest/script thing. It's not perfect, though - putting on some armors that change Geralt's hair will screw it as his hair will overlap with the new model (Ves in this case). Armor sets overlap with the new model aswell and even if Ves' naked body is used instead of this one visible on the screen, the armor pieces just don't fit the female body. It will work better with male models, still preserving just the hair problem.

The hair bug could be worked around by copying the original armors and cutting their references to the hairstyles. The problem is that I don't see these references anywhere.

I'll probably try to write a tutorial on this soon.

EDIT: Nevermind with the hair & armor glitch... it works as it should when I tried it right now. It's just the starting item set that bugs it out, but that is easily solved.

And I know that having multiple character models may be useless in most cases, as there is an easier way to do it, BUT using that easier way doesn't let the player use inventory, open character screen or use magic (as it's the same thing CDPR utilized when the player gets control of Henselt for example). And one can replace Geralt's model, but then I think it would be replaced in other mods and the main campaign aswell (this was how the popular Triss mod worked).

Attachments

• editor 2016-08-17 20-49-17-27.jpg
    editor 2016-08-17 20-49-17-27.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Top Bottom