Making $ is way too easy

+
Making $ is way too easy

Witchers make their $ mostly by doing Witcher contracts but I find that just exploring and killing random monsters makes me more $ than I can use. I can sell monster parts and armor/swords from bandits and my coin purse is very heavy. I don't see any reason to do contracts when I have all the coin I need. How about you guys/gals, you feel the same way?

Yeah,it's a big problem in the game...and i think its easily fixable,make crafted gear good and make things you find in the world crap....people would spend money on crafting/dismembering to get mats,and buying mats....that it would balance out.....food also can have categories where better food is more expensive(BABB and DM)

I do contracts for fun besides the $. I dont usually loot everything and I dont loot peasants. Is money easy to come by - Yes.

This means I can just roam around playing the game without worrying too much about finances. Players to go out of their way to make money will always find ways to make tons of money regardless.

As for making crafting the major gold sink... No, simply no because that would make the game too MMOish.

There are so many controls given the player to 'balance' their own world economy, why would you want the devs to implement a one sized fits all solution that may not fit many people's play style? In a single player game?

Without touching the extremes, and I would agree it's a pretty lame response to say something like - well, just throw your gold away or spend it on stuff you don't need - let's talk about pretty easy, non-invasive means to set the kind of economy you want that fits right into the existing game world without you needing to do bizarre things like spend your gold pile on runes and then throw the runes away to pretend you never had that gold. No mod needed either although there is a mod that can significantly reduce your gold earned if you want.

1- as noted by others, just don't loot/steal from peasants and houses in cities. Only loot I take from homes are quest objects and the one armor diagram that some odd reason was placed in a private home.

-not only does this cut down on gold you would make by selling all that stolen stuff, but it forces you to spend some gold to buy the alcohol and other misc items you no longer get stealing from homes because you get a TON of consumables from homes. So double win-win if you want a reduced economy - you make less and you need to spend more.

2- Don't go out of your way to sell to the exact merchant type that corresponds to the exact item type.
-We all know if you want to maximize gold, sell armor to armorers, weapons to smiths, hides to innkeepers, etc. Well, another cool way with minimum effort and non-invasive action is just sell your loot gained from combat, quests, etc to whatever first merchant you run across.

-Sometimes this means it will be the optimum merchant, sometimes the "worst" in the sense he'll offer barely half what the "right" merchant would. But this will also significantly cut down on gold build up.

3 - don't bother or waste time harvesting plants, just buy what you need when you craft alchemy - there isn't single plant that you need to harvest that isn't sold by some herbalist or alchemist. Only specific monster parts are the rare component - you can buy everything else, so this is another easy to do, non-invasive means to provide a bit of gold sink on top of the earn less from above suggestions.

4 - use your crossbow, a lot - this one you may not want to do because I realize some ppl don't like the way crossbow works (e.g. not a true archer weapon like skyrim)
But if you don't mind, and you pot shots off all the time, especially exploding bolts to set mobs on fire - it's actually a decent mini gold sink. Not a ton, but again with both reduced income and more expenses like crafting lots of exploding bolts, it's another economy control.

*note - not sure if ppl know but the other than shooting underwater mobs, and brining down flying creatures, in my opinion the true best part of the crossbow is it's ability to mini-stagger a mob. Try it out, even with a non-exploding bolt, it very briefly staggers the mob so that if you fire just as you charge, you can whack the mob free hit while it recovers from the bolt stagger. Best is if the exploding bolt version catches the mob on fire because then of course you get the free pause/stagger all mobs do when set on fire

There are a ton more ways to simply and effectively control your gold input and output levels without any use of mod or bizarre jumping of hoops like throwing your gold away on buying items you don't need and then throwing the items away.

I've started a concurrent 2nd play through just recently where I am doing #1-3 above and it has significantly cut down on my gold supply as well as raised my expense level for consumables. To the point where I have to now be careful what runes I want to buy to upgrade. I realize even this will make end game still a gold snooze but it's sure made early and mid game a heck of a lot different (e.g. really kinda feel poor)

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

Did not list this #5 because it's too subjective but I've started doing it in my concurrent "poor" 2nd play through I'm doing along with my still running rich 1st play through - I am NOT recommending it, just saying it's what I do, and if you're like me, maybe will enjoy it too, but YMMV.

5 - Treat consumables as exactly that - use once, toss to destroy it and re-craft your replacement consumable

Crafted potions and bombs can be dropped - game will ask if you are sure as dropping it will destroy it but you can click yes. In my 2nd play through that I limit my economy via above suggestions, I've added my own "death march" mode to the death march difficulty level

Whenever my potion or bomb runs out of charges, I drop it (which destroys it). I completely realize that some of those bombs/potions can only be crafted via some pretty rare items you don't get a lot of, but they are pretty few if you think about it. If you've done the game once, you know how and where to farm all the parts you need, even rare ones like nekker hearts.

For the great majority of the rest though, it uses pretty common components that just costs you to remake - and thats why I do it. It has really added an ultra level of difficulty to my early stage of new DM play through but gotta say it's pretty interesting and adds some strategy to having to save my bombs for key fights rather than just toss them like candy with the recharge via alcohol method.

I'd call this both a gold sink and difficulty dial, but if you thought DM was too easy or not challenging enough, I'd tell you to try this and see how long you say that when your consumables truly are consumables.

No one is forcing you to loot and sell everything. Just sayin'.

It's still an issue with the game, especially a Witcher game where the economy is supposed to be tough for Geralt. They talked about how developed and thought out it was and it turns out you can become rich like it's nothing.

@jacozilla,

Those are all great ideas. I was thinking of ways to enhance my next playthrough, Because unfortunately, even on death march, they game can become easy when you equip yourself correctly. I'll be sure to use some of those in the future. Thanks!

To me, it is not easy to "durably" make money. I spend it really quickly repairing armors & swords, buying recipes, diagrams & gwent cards etc.
As the other said, if you feel bad being rich, just don't loot and sell stuff. :whistle:

No one is forcing you to loot and sell everything. Just sayin'.

This is really stupid. A bad design is a bad design.
There isn't a universe in which a player should limit himself to hide (to hide, not solve) a bad design issue.

The itemization is a big problem in this game.

The most money i have had so far is 1k gold, i loot everything and sell stuff for alot of money, but usually every penny is spent in recipes, repairs, armor, food. Most of the time im really poor and money is hard to come by for me. Making earning coins more hard might ruin the experience for me,

Witchers make their $ mostly by doing Witcher contracts but I find that just exploring and killing random monsters makes me more $ than I can use. I can sell monster parts and armor/swords from bandits and my coin purse is very heavy. I don't see any reason to do contracts when I have all the coin I need. How about you guys/gals, you feel the same way?
It's a problem I have with many RPG-style games. Especially action-RPGs and RPGified shooters/3rd person games. Money is basically worthless because you barely need anything and sooner or later you become so rich that you can by anything ever. I have too many resources and too much money. And yes that is a problem, because it gives zero incentive for exploration. The loot you gain is no reward at all because their is nothing you can do with it.

There should be some super expensive high level items that are actually worth their price.

The most money i have had so far is 1k gold, i loot everything and sell stuff for alot of money, but usually every penny is spent in recipes, repairs, armor, food. Most of the time im really poor and money is hard to come by for me. Making earning coins more hard might ruin the experience for me,

Wow, really? My Geralt is level 20 right now and I have around 6k. I sell armor/swords/monster parts to merchants and just make tons of coin. I haven't had a need to do any Witcher contracts. I know what I should start doing actually now that I think about it. I should start playing gwent. That would lose me $ fast since I am terrible at it.

There is a mod that let's you reduce the sell value of loot by a percentage. It only works one way --it doesn't reduce the buy cost.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/6/?

In my game I have it set to 60%, but that's still too high, so I am thinking of switching it to 40%.

Part of the problem inherient in this issue is how much money you have partly depend upon how much you get side-tracked. If you're someone who explores the world a lot you will have more money than someone who only does the main quest. If they balance it for ther latter type of person than the former has too much money, and if they balance it for the former than the latter doesn't have enough. The game almost needs an adjustable economy slider, which is the mod linked above is so handy.

Last edited:
you don't need to loot and sell everything you find, besides, what's the problem on having money to repair armor and swords and buy recipes ?

I find the problem with the economy isn't too much money coming in, it's not enough going out. Even on death march difficulty I never had to buy food because it was plentiful everywhere. I hardly ever bought armor, just recipes, and even then the best recipes are found, not bought.

I think maybe features like food spoilage on harder difficulties, higher rates for crafting gear, more rare ingredients that are easier to buy than to harvest. Purchaseable monster parts would be nice too.

Not sure what the best solution is to be honest but I really want to feel like going to a tavern or a shop is a risky venture on whether I'll come back with any coin at all.

Making $ is way too easy ....
Witchers make their $ mostly by ....
Dollars ?
Dooolllaaarrrrrs ?

There are crowns, oren and florens. Those are the currency in the game.

And when we talk about real life, not the game, there are still not dollars here. You're not in the wild west anymore. This is commie-land !! We have euros over here !!!!!

====
A more relevant response.
I make most of my crowns by selling the weapons I pick up. I can carry around 10, maybe 20 weapons before I become overburdened. In TW1 (and TW2 maybe too, can't remember), in TW1 you could carry your 2 witcher-swords plus 1 or 2 more weapons. That would limit the amount of weapons you could transport to a vendor. And thus limit the amount of money you'd make during regular gameplay.

Last edited:
I know that by lore Geralt has issues managing his finances xD, but I like the way it is, i can buy whatever is needed and worry about more important things.

I think this could've been solved by smart loot placement and limited inventory. Why do peasants have dimeritium ore, quicksilver solution and other expensive components and why are they not selling these things? They are just way too many useless knick knacks you can pick up, candles, rakes, broken oars, fishing poles? Why? Why did they fill the game world with so much useless stuff and why did they make so many searchable containers. I would've preferred the TW1 inventory system to be honest, you couldn't carry 5 swords and 5 different pieces of armour, at most you carry one armour or one sword and that was only if you dropped a ton of other items. I also think it'd be better if more items had lower caps, so you could only carry like,30 of each alchemical reagent and 10 crafting items.

Top Bottom