Making $ is way too easy

+
There is a mod that let's you reduce the sell value of loot by a percentage. It only works one way --it doesn't reduce the buy cost.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/6/?

In my game I have it set to 60%, but that's still too high, so I am thinking of switching it to 40%.

Part of the problem inherient in this issue is how much money you have partly depend upon how much you get side-tracked. If you're someone who explores the world a lot you will have more money than someone who only does the main quest. If they balance it for ther latter type of person than the former has too much money, and if they balance it for the former than the latter doesn't have enough. The game almost needs an adjustable economy slider, which is the mod linked above is so handy.
They could have some gear or other stuff that costs a lot and gives you a lot of money. Or certain quest choices where you can help people out with your vast fortunes. There are tons of ways you can give both kinds of players what they want.

---------- Updated at 06:47 PM ----------

I think this could've been solved by smart loot placement and limited inventory. Why do peasants have dimeritium ore, quicksilver solution and other expensive components and why are they not selling these things? They are just way too many useless knick knacks you can pick up, candles, rakes, broken oars, fishing poles? Why? Why did they fill the game world with so much useless stuff and why did they make so many searchable containers. I would've preferred the TW1 inventory system to be honest, you couldn't carry 5 swords and 5 different pieces of armour, at most you carry one armour or one sword and that was only if you dropped a ton of other items. I also think it'd be better if more items had lower caps, so you could only carry like,30 of each alchemical reagent and 10 crafting items.

Caps are annoying as hell. They should just make being rich worth a damn. Oh yes, and less loot in general. The main problem is that finding treasures and receiving "legendary gear" as quest rewards isn't rewarding at all. It is just more junk to add to the list. There is no incentive to explore besides exploration itself. All the stuff you find you sell anyway and then you have money you can't use for anything meaningful.

Yeah,it's a big problem in the game...and i think its easily fixable,make crafted gear good and make things you find in the world crap....

As far as I am awayre the best armor and weapons in the game can only be crafted. So the already kinda did that.

I got the same problem, I have finished the game with +/- 40k gold. At some point I started to drop every other loot than money and ingridients - even the best swords, armors etc. that I could sell easily for 500 gold. The only part when money actually mattered was the very beginning of the game.

For me the biggest problem is that the crafting of the superiour weapons and armors (like the Witcher's Style Sets) is damn too cheap. I had all Witcher's Style Sets at master level in my inventory (just to see which one looks the best for me) and I haven't noticed any real money drop. Im not even sure if selling those thigs are not more profitable than the amout of money spent for crafting.

It should be more like in Witcher 2 on Dark difficulty level with the Kinslayer's, Blasphemer's and Oathbreaker's sets where every f.... penny (or oren) counts.

Last edited:
One thing I think they should've done was to base the amount of money to craft item on the Blacksmith skills. Also the more experience Blacksmiths should put you on a waiting list, but if you want your gear straight away, they should charge you extra.

Money is pointless in this game. You can have a truck load or be penniless. Wouldn't make a difference.

This a major problem a in a lot of modern games.

And I am not talking about money-making being too easy.

I am talking about some narrow-minded players always assuming their way is the ONLY way to play games, and try to shove it down everyone else's throats.

If the economy of the game any harsher, it will only suit those jobless time-wasters who role-play their Witcher as a psychotic scavenger-thief hybrid who steals food from starving peasants, willing to spend hours and hours licking every sack, chest, barrel and monster butts from every corner of the map clean.

But it might shock you OP to learn that not every one plays that way. If you want a difficult economy like in the stories, then play the game like a Witcher, not a loot-farmer.

Last edited:
Why do you care so much about money?

There is a ton of stuff you can do in the game, and you only look at the money???? what the heck?

I don't care if i have 5, 50 or 50k. So it's pointless. WOW.
The game is designed great from my point of view. It's a break off from the real life where money is so important and it's most of the times hardly earned.

When I do a contract or explore something, I don't care about the money, I do it for the fun. for the adventure, for exploring the unknown, not for the money.

It's great that I can sometimes ignore the money and just enjoy everything else.

And if you play totally ignoring the money, it will get you at some point. I spent tons on crafting materials and plants and other stuff.

The economy is thoroughly broken by the level scaling.

While at the beginning you can collect a dozen weapons and off load them for (maybe) an additional 100 crowns, later in the game I was hard pressed to find any craftsmen/merchants who could buy more than one or two random loot weapons.... the typical price for around half the "stupid number of legendary swords" that I need to still find buyers for is around 400 crowns a piece, and they drop like candy.

The special weapons really need to be much scarcer (not stuffed into every crate, trunk, spoils of war or smuggler's cache). Their accessibility and level scaling on a cliff utterly destroys their worth. (items looted early are valueless within a few hours of play (until Geralt has so many organic level bonuses that equipment truly becomes irrelevant), and their resale value is excessive to the world economy (perhaps having a 'decent' economic model where buying a lot of an item drives up costs, and dumping a lot yields less per item. Maybe even have item count limits for vendor interest, rather than "all swords, all armour, all monster parts").

Until the end missions of the game I had big trobule with money. Yep, there where times I had a lot of it but sudenly I had to perform big expenses. So I think it is very well balanced.

Obviously it reach a point that you have not to worry about money, cause you have almost everything you need... but when it happens at the end of the game, is that it is very well done.

In most games I get insanelly rich. It doesn't happen in this one.

the money you get for witcher contracts seems pretty underwhelming for the most part ... the "haggling system" is pretty pointless (unless i've done something wrong) as you dont even need to bother trying to go above 30% increase and most of the time you earn maybe 20-50 gold more from haggling, which in itself is a joke.

but yes, money is no problem as you get it from EVERYWHERE else ... i even stopped haggling at some point, just cause its a waste of time

I am talking about some narrow-minded players always assuming their way is the ONLY way to play games, and try to shove it down everyone else's throats.

If the economy of the game any harsher, it will only suit those jobless time-wasters who role-play their Witcher as a psychotic scavenger-thief hybrid who steals food from starving peasants, willing to spend hours and hours licking every sack, chest, barrel and monster butts from every corner of the map clean.

But it might shock you OP to learn that not every one plays that way. If you want a difficult economy like in the stories, then play the game like a Witcher, not a loot-farmer.

My Geralt doesn't steal anything from peasants. I don't take anything that isn't mine. I do however take the weapons/armor from bandits that attack me and I harvest parts from monsters that I kill. I sell those and make a fortune. Makes me wonder why Geralt doesn't do this same thing in the books. I very rarely do contracts anymore, don't have a need to. Its much more lucrative to just hunt monsters and sell their parts to herbalists than it is to take on Witcher contracts.

with the latest patches I think they kind of adressed and messed up this problem by stripping the greater runes from vendors.... I think thats highly annoying now.... you need so much gold to craft those its not even funny anymore.... I had 4 or 5k gold and was able to craft a single greater rune xD.... I got pissed off so hard then decided to cheat the rest via console.... also armor lvls need to be fixed .... you are never able to wear mastercrafted armor before finishing the game..... also the stats of the enhanced armor sets are already way too good... I kept enhaced armor till the end on death march... even the enhanced swords are already stronger than anything else.... equipment lvls and stats need to be adressed

ps dimeritium ingots , plates , ores .. selling value needs to be lowered as well... just sell few of these and you are instant rich

Last edited:

sorry, but this is simply bollocks. If they give you the opportunity to make money that easy, they need to give you something to do with it. It doesn't need to interfere with casuals in any way. Just offer powerful items at a very high price and provide other uses for money. Maybe an expensive way to buy yourself out of a situation or to help an NPC. There are plenty of things you can do, without making it harder for casuals. Right now money and items are basically worthless. The only incentive there is to take a long trip to the outskirts of Skellige for something you know is a smuggler's cache anyway is loot or profit. Yet both are worthless. There are no rewards for exploring, besides junk and more money bringing you ever so closer to the way too low money cap. It is not a well thought out system.

Agreed. Especially when you find full sets of withcher gear for your current level. That makes pretty much every other non witcher gear obsolete and can sell for pretty good coin not to mention hides and other crafting ingredients.

Yesterday I made about 10k from pretty much looting high level enemies with gear that sold for 400-600 coins each and witcher contracts. Its too easy to stack on coin in this game. I can't just leave good selling gear behind. I like to make use of good loot...

Top Bottom