Making Money in Night City

+
... games have turned in some kind of "fast-food" industry when you just have to spend 20hours on a game to finish it, without much trouble, and go on something else.

Actually one thing that annoys the hell outta me is the number of MMOs that require hours, if not days of farming to accomplish things.
I enjoyed "Age of Conan" but hated the amount of materials you had to collect to build your own city. Even with a smaller guild (say 50 people) it took FOREVER.

And now we have Dragon Age: Inquisition going down that path with their crafting system ... I am not a happy camper.

Actually one thing that annoys the hell outta me is the number of MMOs that require hours, if not days of farming to accomplish things.
I enjoyed "Age of Conan" but hated the amount of materials you had to collect to build your own city. Even with a smaller guild (say 50 people) it took FOREVER.

And now we have Dragon Age: Inquisition going down that path with their crafting system ... I am not a happy camper.

It annoys me too, farming and doing the same thing over and over is simply boring, you have to feel some kind of progression, etc...
Most of the time it's just a "filler" to give the illusion of "content".
I do love fighting game, you have to learn to use your character, being better with him, how to break gard, how to counter, etc... You can spend countless time being better at it, then, as you said you have a bunch of MMO where you have fun for a few time and then just get trapped in "let's do the same thing over and over" without much content or variety in it, it's just lazyness from developpers IMO.

I don't care if a game is short (Soul Reaver is hella short, but it's one of the best game I've ever played), you just need some difficulty and challenge to make it "worth to remember".

IMO, farming is pure lazyness, just a way to artificialy add "gaming time" to your game where in fact you do nothing, it's not even fun, it's just like having to wake up at 5AM to go to work, no one like this, and some games push it to ridiculous extents.

Last edited:
I would like it if it was possible to finish the game with near poverty.

In fact, it would better serve the narrative if by default, most players end up poor.

The classic noir private eye is broke from beginning to end.

For armour/weapons at least,only thing you really need to is kill dragons. but the point does stand, it was strangely much better in 2 where you just found a source of that material to craft with.

You cant comment into that, because we dont know how is going to be!

open world rpg like the witcher or skyrim? or something different...

if its open world like witcher 3 or skyrim or fallout... They could have gabling, contracts for murdering, strange and dark places for some "romancing" , if you control companions, you could also send them into missions... You could run your own company!!! (STORE In that city), the city is flat? or there is different type of worlds (the upper city, the underworld city, underworld trading... in the showers under the streets with rats.... hiding. So you could progress underground as a criminal, or more glamorous, or a bit of both...

How we are going to progress, is one path progression, or we could progress in diffent paths... When we learn more things, I will be able to suggest more specifically.

There are many kinds of "rpg" style games... open world action rpgs, turn based rpgs, rpgs and we dont know where cybepunk fits! So I expect them to give some more details, its allready 2-3 years, so if they truly working on it, it should be big!

I just want to be like fallout style, next gen, dynamic, companions, huge.... I dont mind if its 100 gigs :) And I wish it to have amazing AI

Last edited:
Just like in real life. You can get into a line of business on the side. Like selling illegal stuff or making them. You could sell stuff and buy stuff. There are seriously many realistic and awesome ways to earn money on the side or "under the table".

We want a dynamic economy system. Our character is a living person in this ruthless world and he's got to make a living. Don't make it all about looting. make me go out and find ways to make money or I won't be able to afford the rent and I'll have to sleep on the street, which results in someone attempting to steal from me in my sleep and based on my skills, I can either feel his presence and stop him or not. You see the non-linear, realistic and dynamic line of events there? That's what we want. I want feel like a real person in the game world.

Good Luck :)

Id love for new job options to open up depending on amount of borg or FBC you use though.

IE, tech oriented FBC or borg limbs that help with somthing might get the eye of someone needing to hire a temp or a contractor. get paid on a job by job basis. Sometimes easy fix, sometimes take a few hours...a bit of randomness thrown in like real life work.

Lawful work shouldd be just as plentiful as illegal work. And hey, a skilled tech might be hard to come by. Fix the right persons stuff and could lead to a good word, better contracts....

There is also the question of how money itself will work in game. I think it will be all digital and it's not impossible for there to be multiple types. Today there are a few digital currencies and they really aren't used en masse, but expanding on that by having specific corporations with their own currencies, only fueling their power, could make it challenging and unique. Throw in a black market currency and it could be very interesting...

Money in CP2020 is basically in two types. Electronic (say, credit card or electronic transfer), or cold hard cash. Most 'mundanes' probably never see cash at all. It's all done on a credit/debit card system.

Now, those working on the edges of society (say.....edgerunners, they type of character you play in CP2020), will mostly work in folding paper monies. They're harder to trace, and....no tax (aside from point of sale).

There are also two other methods of payment. Favors, and barter. Be careful of whom you owe favors to, and make sure you get something worthwhile (ie, not a bomb or broken), when bartering. And remember you can barter your skills........

I'd imagine most places outside the black market very rarely deal in cash, and while they probably won't refuse to accept it they'd really rather not.

Probably true. But physical cold hard cash is still legal tender, so by the law any official, legal place of business can't really refuse your hard worn paper money. They might not like it if you just spend a few $$ on buying a few drinks, but if you drop a couple hundred $$ on a new side arm, a box or 5 of ammo, I'm sure they'd gladly take your money.

Don't forget, spread your money into several accounts, including a foreign tax haven, if you're lucky enough to have that much.

Your confusing now with a corporate distopian nightmare. they are less likely to bow to that sort of argument than ever

From the little I've seen of ArmA 2 life, it was pretty hilarious at times, but not exactly immersive.

The economy resembled that of a small town more then a bustling metropolis. Also, everyone was rich and able to afford things like tanks.

Well, there was no economy it was just the same gold faucet, gold sink system of any RPG transposed in an FPS...

If you're a experienced member of the Police-Department or the Psycho Squad I firmly believe you should have the option to train rookies for a decent amount of cash. And of course if you wish to go the more illegal route you could be a Courier for Criminals (delivering God knows what to a certain Contact, who'll pay you on arrival), but there's a catch - you'll have to arrive at the location WITHOUT being followed and there will be moments much of the time where undercovers and local rivals will try to subdue or kill you for that package (so, not only will you have to insure you deliver the package without a trace, but also fight for dear life against on coming enemies).

There should even be Hitman missions (even Vigilante ones to mirror the Hitman ones where you basically do community service not for cash, but favors that could range from backup to high-powered weapon deliveries almost anywhere in Night City) where you kill select people for cash (that would also reward you with extra discounts in the criminal underworld, but would possibly have the negative consequences of having more legal vendors jack up theirs, since there's a part of them that hates your guts and a part that of them that feels with all the killing you supposedly do you can afford the price-ranges).

And lastly, security for a airfield (protect the area from domestic-terrorists that may want to blow the place up), nightclub (take care of any trouble-makers, rather drunk or cocky, wielding knives or seriously dangerous cybernetics), dock (that could hold crates of high-powered firearms or tech) or even a very wealthy VIP that you could protect from any and all threats with extra security detail to help (that many would wish to see killed for their ideology or alliances).

Last edited:

Probably true. But physical cold hard cash is still legal tender, so by the law any official, legal place of business can't really refuse your hard worn paper money. They might not like it if you just spend a few $$ on buying a few drinks, but if you drop a couple hundred $$ on a new side arm, a box or 5 of ammo, I'm sure they'd gladly take your money.

Don't forget, spread your money into several accounts, including a foreign tax haven, if you're lucky enough to have that much.

...aaaaaaactualyyy, you may not be as correct as you think.

To clarify:
In some jurisdictions legal tender can be refused as payment if no debt exists prior to the time of payment (where the obligation to pay may arise at the same time as the offer of payment). For example, vending machines and transport staff do not have to accept the largest denomination of banknote. Shopkeepers may reject large banknotes: this is covered by the legal concept known as invitation to threat. However, resturants that do not collect payment until after a meal is served must accept any legal tender for the debt incurred in purchasing the meal.

The right, in many jurisdictions, of a trader to refuse to do business with any person, means a purchaser may not insist on making a purchase and so declaring a legal tender in law, as anything other than an offered payment for debts already incurred would not be effective.

Now, I don't know about you colonials, but in the UK coinage is also only defined as legal tender up to and including a specific amount:
£100 - for any amount
£20 - for any amount
£5 (Crown) - for any amount
£2 - for any amount
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10 (Post-decimalisation exists only as commemerative coinage, but is still legit.)
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

I can easily see physical money being reclassified by 2077, as it was before 2020, so that vendors are not required to accept it. However, I can equally see a return to hard currency after the 4th Corp war and the Rache Bartmoss net incident.

PS:
There are secret trade halls frequented by the Fixer elite which only trade in gold. All goods are bartered for into gold, which makes all transactions non-taxable, (as they are barter based, not monetary,) and gold will always be stable, unlike currency.

Gold does weigh a lot though, which is why when my characters finally get decent amounts of money behind them I stash it in several accounts, (mostly with reputable off-shore Swiss, Caymen and Jersey banks,) and physical stashes in deposit boxes of gold and precious stones.

PPS:
On a related note, has anyone had to deal with bonds in real life?

Last edited:
Top Bottom