Making Money In TW3 Is So Hard

+
Making Money In TW3 Is So Hard

I've heard this a lot. And, here is my response:

I just finished a near-100% play-through. Here are some things I did along the way:

A. I spent a ton of money on runes that I never ended up using.

B. I spent 30K on the HoS rune guy, and didn't use him once.

C. I pretty consistently picked the bribe option in conversations.

D. I accidentally sold almost all of my five master-crafted Witcher armor sets, forcing me to buy them back, which cost around 100,000 crowns (Maybe slightly less.).

E. I created a master-crafted Wolven set, which ended up being worthless, since you can make the Grandmaster Wolven set from scratch in BaW.

I did all of those aformentioned things, yet....

A. I ended BaW with all five Grandmaster sets, and the Viper armor.

B. I have a fully upgraded Corvo Bianco.

C. I have around 100K crowns.

D. I've still got about half my inventory, which I can't sell, due to my exhausting the bank accounts of every merchant in Toussaint.

So, I ask this: why do you some feel the need to use exploits? Money is so ridiculously easy to come by, in this game. As a matter of fact, for my next play-through, I'm thinking of not looting question marks or enemies, just to balance it out a little bit.

I agree with you.I did a 3 full playthrough, got the "Get all gwent cards from the main game"-achievement, while always betting most possible money, I upgraded the HoS blacksmith to max. , made 2 full Grandmaster set and did not sell my Master Wolven gear and still had 55k money left after finishing the game.

The people that have problems with money, usually play TW3 "wrong": You should loot everything, like in most rpgs?!, and sell the crap stuff to blacksmiths.
DO NOT sell alcohol. I saw a few people selling them and then re-buying later in the game, when they made potions....
DO NOT buy all kind of flowers. Try to pick flower up randomly when you clean up a bandit camp for example and run back to your horse for example.

If you still have money problems:

Start playing Gwent, do Horseraces, do Fistfights
Equip a trophy that gives +5% money (In the HOS main quest there is a "pig"-trophy that gives you even 10%+ money I believe
Try to get the most possible money from contracts, by negotiating before accepting the offer

@Eredin_Breacc_Glas

I agree with you. Geralt in TW3 is definitly not the poor tramp we know from the books. I remember how much trouble Geralt had when he had "lost" his swords... In TW3 he would go to a black smith and would say. "New one, please." :evil:

Exactly. Geralt is supposed to be incredibly poor, never having more than a couple hundred crowns to his name. I remember how, in one of the short stories, he bought a new leather jacket, and it was a huge deal for him.

for was dificul to get money at the beginning of the game, i had to rethink strategically all my purchases, but then, as the game progresses it get's a lot easier to make money, just playing normally you can get almost everything you need, some expnsive items will become availabele later, but, if something is unavailable at the moment that means you don't need it right now

Exactly. Geralt is supposed to be incredibly poor, never having more than a couple hundred crowns to his name. I remember how, in one of the short stories, he bought a new leather jacket, and it was a huge deal for him.
Yeah, I like that small story so much, which is implemented by lifting the curse of Uma, when Dandelion buyed a new sword for Geralt... ;) Now Geralt gets so much swords, that he doesn't know where to put them... :evil:

@cyberpunkforever Yes, on the beginning in White Orchard it's a little bit hard to earn enough money to buy the Temerian set for example. But if the game gathers speed, it isn't a problem anymore to earn a lot of money in a short time... ;)

Last edited:
Wait...what? You've lost me.
By lifting the curse of Uma Yen asks Geralt if he can tell her a story, because she is so sleepy. Then you have the option to tell her the story, when Dandelion buyed him a new sword (which broke by the first parry), because Geralt was completely broke once again... :evil: It's from the book with Coral, if I remember rightly... But I forget the title... But wait "Seasons of Storm" I believe... ;)

Last edited:
Gah, I even want to lose all my money now. I realize that lore-wise, witchers are poor af. I wanna feel Geralt's struggle with his choices.
So in my next NG+ playthrough, I intend to drop everything on NG before starting the NG+. Well this sounds stupid and you might just tell me to simply start a fresh save. Well, I want to enjoy the full mutations, that's why. :D

I started a new play thru 3-4 weeks ago and had 100,000 by the time I started HoS, this is my last play through and Geralt will retire a very comfortable Witcher. :)

We need a mod that rebalance the economy to be more in line with previous games. Geralt sells books and alchemy items and he can't carry 50 suits of armor.

I accidentally sold almost all of my five master-crafted Witcher armor sets, forcing me to buy them back, which cost around 100,000 crowns (Maybe slightly less.).

Lol. Wouldn't it have been easier to just load a previous game save?

I created a master-crafted Wolven set, which ended up being worthless, since you can make the Grandmaster Wolven set from scratch in BaW.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the only armor set which you can procure the Grandmaster plans for, craft and wear without any of the previous iterations is the Manticore. I tried crafting a Grandmaster Cat suit, but it wouldn't let me because I don't have the plans or sets from any of the previous tiers.

So, I ask this: why do you some feel the need to use exploits?

I'm just curious, but what do you consider to be an exploit? When I was on my NG+ playthrough, I looted all of the discardable junk from dead npc's, and then did rounds selling it to various armorers and blacksmiths throughout the world. I was able to make about 100,000 that way.

Lol. Wouldn't it have been easier to just load a previous game save?

Unfortunately, I'm a vigorous saver. :p

By the time I realized what I had done, it was far too late.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the only armor set which you can procure the Grandmaster plans for, craft and wear without any of the previous iterations is the Manticore. I tried crafting a Grandmaster Cat suit, but it wouldn't let me because I don't have the plans or sets from any of the previous tiers.

Wolven and Manticore can be made stand-alone. The other three require mastercrafted sets.

I'm just curious, but what do you consider to be an exploit? When I was on my NG+ playthrough, I looted all of the discardable junk from dead npc's, and then did rounds selling it to various armorers and blacksmiths throughout the world. I was able to make about 100,000 that way.

Killing cows then meditating, for hours on end. Repeatedly killing a merchant with a bee-hive.

What you did wasn't an exploit. That's called playing the game properly. :p

Ah, money. Whenever I think "Yay, Geralt has enough money" - I make him spend it *g* I invested a lot of money in HoS (runewright), Corvo Bianco is fully decorated and renovated; currently, I'm working on GM cat gear. I'll skip the others except Manticore because some ingredients are hard to come by and are incredibly expensive to buy.
What I do to get money: loot everything. Really everything. If Geralt carries to much weight, I use the decoction that allows him to carry more, than send him off to a merchant or Smith, sell whatever I can spare, go back to looting if there's any loot left. For a while, I thought collecting silver swords was awesome but when I got to around 20 swords, I figured that I'll never use any of them again. So I sold them. Poor Hattori ran out of money *g* I also sell runes if I have, say, four of a kind because they pop up everywhere. I'd love to sell some of the books as well because I accidentally picked up two, three or more copies of a book. The game won't let me, though. I also sold some mutagens but it's not really worth it - same goes for other alchemy ingredients. I also sell armour I no longer need. And I try to get more money out of contracts by negotiating. Gwent is another good way of making some money. And treasure hunts :)

Yeah not having money does suck, but one can make it through the base game and end on roughly 100 000 crowns, HOS will use up about 40 000 of that, but B&W house upgrades and all the new Witcher armor will basically flatten your savings.

I got got clever though, before I patched and they removed the dwarf glitch, I started various new games on various dificalties and stung the dwarf for all it was worth. Then I moved those saves to a flash drive. I have about 12 of them backed up.

Each save has Gerald with about 2 million crowns in his pocket. Yeah Ik it's kinda cheating, but for somebody who has already done 7+ playthroughs of this game, I don't have the time to rummage through peasants houses or steal rich folks silverware ;)

Last edited:
How did you managed to accidentally sell all your witcher sets?

I actually said why, above, but I don't mind explaining, again. :p

The first Grandmaster set I created didn't require my master-crafted pieces. So, I thought this applied to all of them, and I sold every last piece to the grand-master merchant. I ended up buying most of it back.

I actually said why, above, but I don't mind explaining, again. :p

The first Grandmaster set I created didn't require my master-crafted pieces. So, I thought this applied to all of them, and I sold every last piece to the grand-master merchant. I ended up buying most of it back.

Some sidequests just throw money at you. That along with B&W severely upping minigame rewards made it really easy for me to rack up money

Top Bottom