Male V vs Female V?

+

Who gave the better performance?

• Male V

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • Female V

Votes: 114 72.6%

• Total voters
Yeah I definitely enjoyed his performance more in moments where he acted a lot more light-thearted. The throaty gruff voice can get monotone and pretentious quite fast. That being said, he did a great job still making me fall in love with V.
Very good points here and you're right, his lighter moments is when his performance was definitely better. Also ,I'd like to know who told him to that godawful accent.

I find it very interesting that people prefer female V.

I admit it's very good most of the time, but so far I've noticed a lot more instances of the female V's emotions being off the mark; regularly I would feel that she would deliver one line spot on then the next the emotions or cadence would feel completely wrong. I also regularly noticed it felt like she shouted the first word or two of a sentence before settling into a normal talking voice for the remainder. Lastly it felt like she struggled at times to convey stronger emotions without shouting. The male V to me feels more consistently on the mark for the correct emotions of the dialog.

Overall I would say that when the voice acting was at it's best, it came from the female V. But that the male V felt more consistent in performance.

I will admit that as I am from the UK, and both voice actors are American with accents and pronunciations that are not very familiar to me(I don't watch much American TV), as such I might not pick up on the subtlety of their performances as much as I would if their accents and pronunciations were more familiar particularly without facial expressions to help convey the emotion.

I think both do fine. This is not Mass Effect where Jennifer Hale, a decades old veteran to voice acting. Beating Mark Meer out of the water.
she's so good, to me, she is commander shepard. BUT to his credit, I thought he did a decent job, and I especially like that he didn't go the boring route of the gravely grizzled veteran sound.

Valerie definetly more emotion compared to bluntness of Vincent, tiny things in voice that make the diffence! Generally its good that they are diffent!

I admit it's very good most of the time, but so far I've noticed a lot more instances of the female V's emotions being off the mark; regularly I would feel that she would deliver one line spot on then the next the emotions or cadence would feel completely wrong. I also regularly noticed it felt like she shouted the first word or two of a sentence before settling into a normal talking voice for the remainder. Lastly it felt like she struggled at times to convey stronger emotions without shouting. The male V to me feels more consistently on the mark for the correct emotions of the dialog.

Overall I would say that when the voice acting was at it's best, it came from the female V. But that the male V felt more consistent in performance.

I will admit that as I am from the UK, and both voice actors are American with accents and pronunciations that are not very familiar to me(I don't watch much American TV), as such I might not pick up on the subtlety of their performances as much as I would if their accents and pronunciations were more familiar.

I love that you brought up accents here, because the male V's accent for me is a BIG part of why I dislike his performance. From an American viewpoint, I really like her accent because its fairly neutral (as far as my ears can tell), which enables more freedom in creating the character in your mind. His accent is HEAVY and completely unavoidable, I want to say NY ish (I'm from NYC, and I really dislike the "NY" accent, I think its so ugly), but the fact that it can be "localized" (maybe not the right word choice there) creates the opposite problem.

Female V.

Heard male watching an early LP...too boring and generic for me. V I can still hear in my head, she has that certain something in her voice that makes it memorable.

Same with Shepard from ME. Though I heard actually people exist male shep was better...but like with V, I doubt those rumour are true ... ^^

I love that you brought up accents here, because the male V's accent for me is a BIG part of why I dislike his performance. From an American viewpoint, I really like her accent because its fairly neutral (as far as my ears can tell), which enables more freedom in creating the character in your mind. His accent is HEAVY and completely unavoidable, I want to say NY ish (I'm from NYC, and I really dislike the "NY" accent, I think its so ugly), but the fact that it can be "localized" (maybe not the right word choice there) creates the opposite problem.

Yeah, I think that's a big thing to why her performance doesn't work quite so well for me. Myself(and quite a few of my friends and family) often have more difficulty picking up emotions from American accents from the Southern parts of the US than we do with the Northern accents. The voice that Cherami Leigh does for female V, to my foreign ear sounds much more in line with a typical Hollywood/Californian type voice(I fully accept that the accent she has might not be that, but it sounds it to my British ear) which often sounds off key to us; over excited when it should be calmer and subdued when it should be more energetic. We get the same thing in some films and TV shows too, American friends will rave about the depth of emotion in a performance whilst we look at each other and think that the voice was rather bland because it's just so totally alien to us unless you're someone that watches a lot of American TV.

Females always have better voices in games. Same here.

Males in lead roles are always directed to be "tough" and it always comes off wooden.
i don't know, Dexter sounds freaking awesome I think. Jackie and Vic does a very good job as well. Geralt is pretty cool as well.

Also its difficult to know whether the actor were instructed correctly or were told to sound a bit more calm etc. For the most part I think he does a good job, like most the characters in the game. Just some of the stuff is really off.

You have just been in an accident, could you sound any more calm and not caring :D

Females always have better voices in games. Same here.

Males in lead roles are always directed to be "tough" and it always comes off wooden.

That's so often the case. It's as if male VA is told to pretend to be the manliest man to ever man, and the female is given actual direction. It's really strange, but it feels like lots of male leads are ruined because it's somehow assumed that unless the protagonist comes across as a tough alpha male, the players will not connect to him. Funnily enough, I can't connect to them because they just sound ridiculous to me.

For example, I literally can't imagine playing Mass Effect as male Shepard because he's just so dispassionate and "manly" (in reality, the actor constantly strains his voice by pushing it lower than his natural register, despite having a pretty deep voice already) in such a fake way. And I think Mark Meer is an extremely talented actor (did lots of the crazy side char voices like the Vorcha which were excellent), also really liked his performance (together with Jennifer Hale!) in "The Long Dark", as it was so much more natural and human than Shepard.

CP2077 has the same dynamic with the female nailing it most of the time, and the male straining his voice, pretending to sound "rough".

That's so often the case. It's as if male VA is told to pretend to be the manliest man to ever man, and the female is given actual direction. It's really strange, but it feels like lots of male leads are ruined because it's somehow assumed that unless the protagonist comes across as a tough alpha male, the players will not connect to him. Funnily enough, I can't connect to them because they just sound ridiculous to me.

For example, I literally can't imagine playing Mass Effect as male Shepard because he's just so dispassionate and "manly" (in reality, the actor constantly strains his voice by pushing it lower than his natural register, despite having a pretty deep voice already) in such a fake way. And I think Mark Meer is an extremely talented actor (did lots of the crazy side char voices like the Vorcha which were excellent), also really liked his performance (together with Jennifer Hale!) in "The Long Dark", as it was so much more natural and human than Shepard.

CP2077 has the same dynamic with the female nailing it most of the time, and the male straining his voice, pretending to sound "rough".
Probably because showing emotions is a "woman" thing.

Just curious, who do think gave the better performance?

I started playing a male and female in parallel. Voice acting was an important factor in my decision to continue with female V, along with the fact that female V looks much better while riding the Kusanagi with nude mod on.

Yeah, I think that's a big thing to why her performance doesn't work quite so well for me. Myself(and quite a few of my friends and family) often have more difficulty picking up emotions from American accents from the Southern parts of the US than we do with the Northern accents. The voice that Cherami Leigh does for female V, to my foreign ear sounds much more in line with a typical Hollywood/Californian type voice(I fully accept that the accent she has might not be that, but it sounds it to my British ear) which often sounds off key to us; over excited when it should be calmer and subdued when it should be more energetic. We get the same thing in some films and TV shows too, American friends will rave about the depth of emotion in a performance whilst we look at each other and think that the voice was rather bland because it's just so totally alien to us unless you're someone that watches a lot of American TV.
So interesting to hear this perspective and thanks for chiming in with it. I really love the difference that exists solely because we grew up in different countries surrounded by different dialects, tones, inflections, etc. My godmother's husband is from London so he's really the only British ear I know but he's also been living in LA for like 40 years so a bit tainted by now xD.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry guys, but i am playing Shemale.

Im sorry but we're all out of Penis 2. The Penis machine broke.

I will admit that as I am from the UK, and both voice actors are American with accents and pronunciations that are not very familiar to me(I don't watch much American TV), as such I might not pick up on the subtlety of their performances as much as I would if their accents and pronunciations were more familiar particularly without facial expressions to help convey the emotion.

Agreed. I like Male V for his consistency throughout the game. He also absolutely NAILS the light-hearted and funny dialogue. The accent didn't bother me much, but that's probably because I am from Europe.

Female V is good too, but the contrast between her trying to sound super sultry most of the time and then suddenly super rough and bad mouthed, is a bit too jarring to me imho.

Last edited:
I overall like female V's voice more.

Comes down to two things for me:

1. She sounds more ambiguous ethnicity-wise. Male V sounds like a white guy from Jersey. Trying to play a non-white guy is ... hard with that voice.
2. She sounds like she's from the area. No one from CA sounds like male V.

I overall like female V's voice more.

Comes down to two things for me:

1. She sounds more ambiguous ethnicity-wise. Male V sounds like a white guy from Jersey. Trying to play a non-white guy is ... hard with that voice.
2. She sounds like she's from the area. No one from CA sounds like male V.

THANK YOU for bringing that fact back into the fold. To be honest, I COMPLETELY forgot V is from CA. I made the point earlier that to an American's ears, Masculine V accent is THICK and too specific (and off-putting...but I'm from NY so I may be biased xD). No way in hell someone grew up in CA and developed that accent, maybe under very specific circumstances it could be possible. Feminine V's is more neutral.

Top Bottom