Mama Welles Speculation with Female V

+
This is 100% speculation, and not in the story, but....
Did a couple of play through when V sends Jackie to his family. To me at any rate from all the dialogue, did Mama Welles hoped her son Jackie would dump Misty for V.
From Misty, Mama Welles does not like her much. Mama Welles, does have a high opinion of V.... or at least the dialogue I choose it seems so, even calling V 'daughter' (unless google is wrong with the translation)
The work that Jackie and V do, can create a strong bond, that even Misty seem a tiny bit envy over. (V knew more of the true person Jackie was)
I am aware male V also gets similar treatment and dialogue, but the female aspect changes the dynamic of the situation.

Just a thought, I could be completely wrong for all I know..... just sharing a thought.

To me at any rate from all the dialogue, did Mama Welles hoped her son Jackie would dump Misty for V.

I'd say Mama Welles wanted Jackie to dump Misty, because Misty is a new age weirdo in her book. She also liked V and treated him/her like family.

So I think Mama Welles would not be unhappy if Jackie chose to get together with V, but I also don't think that was her main concern. She just didn't like Misty.

If both genders have the same dialog. Than it has no underlying meaning.

I don't think that's true. Dialogue can have very different implications in different contexts, or when spoken to different people.

I don't think that's true. Dialogue can have very different implications in different contexts, or when spoken to different people.
Personally, I think that if the dialog was intended to convey that Mama would prefer that Jackie hook up with V, they would have invested more time in the dialog and the dialog would be different between male and female V, just because of that.

Personally, I think that if the dialog was intended to convey that Mama would prefer that Jackie hook up with V, they would have invested more time in the dialog and the dialog would be different between male and female V, just because of that.

I think that quests like the dinner with River's family that uses the same dialogue for Male V even though it is incredibly weird and awkward to do so, shows that there were probably places they wanted to do different dialogue sets by gender but just couldn't. The project was resource-constrained (and still is), so I don't find it surprising that they might say "good enough" and let there be just one set, even though they wanted two.

But like I said, I still don't think that Mama Welles specifically wanted Jackie to dump Misty for V. I think she just wanted Jackie to dump Misty.

60809786.jpg

I think that quests like the dinner with River's family that uses the same dialogue for Male V even though it is incredibly weird and awkward to do so, shows that there were probably places they wanted to do different dialogue sets by gender but just couldn't. The project was resource-constrained (and still is), so I don't find it surprising that they might say "good enough" and let there be just one set, even though they wanted two.

But like I said, I still don't think that Mama Welles specifically wanted Jackie to dump Misty for V. I think she just wanted Jackie to dump Misty.
Someone pointed out elsewhere in the forum that they think the dialog for V was written for female V, since apparently there are lots of places where things get awkward like that. I have been playing female V a whole lot more than male V and so I have not really had the opportunity to see if that is true.

I mention this because I would not go so far as to say "resource-constrained", unless they had to go through the whole game and add the male V dialog after writing V as a female.

I never got the impression that Mama wanted V to hook up with Jackie, other than in business, so I tend to agree with you on this matter. Misty was someone who was simply not good enough for Jackie.

Someone pointed out elsewhere in the forum that they think the dialog for V was written for female V

I'd agree with that. I also play Lady V and I was pretty surprised to find out that Man V had all the same lines.

That said, it could also be that it was a purposeful decision to have the content be completely gender-neutral, so there'd be no difference in how the NPCs interact with V or what V says based on gender. I don't think that's a problem in most places. It only becomes a problem in spots where the designers have decided that gender *does* matter (like the romance quests), and then their decision to make all the lines the same is at odds with their implementation that makes gender a factor.

So the dialogue from the NPCs (River's family hinting that he has a crush on V) and the dialogue/actions from V, is at odds with the resulting outcome if V is the "wrong" gender.

I mention this because I would not go so far as to say "resource-constrained", unless they had to go through the whole game and add the male V dialog after writing V as a female.

There has never been a AAA game team that was not resource constrained :)
Having dialogue with significantly different content for each V (or for NPCs addressing different gendered V) does create a bunch of extra work. It's super easier to just have the same lines for both (apart from pronoun variants).

Eh....I might be missing something but.....do we know that Jackie is not bi...or at least maybe Mama Welles might belive him to be.
....that might also extend to River's family and River for some reason doesn't want to correct them?

....actually, is heteronormativity a thing in the CP77? If not, maybe people in that world no longer see a guy with girlfriend and instantly assume 'yep - straight':)

View attachment 11186206

Male V with River doesn't have the same flirty dialog...

My impression of Mama Welles is that she is a traditionalist and a very social person. She values family, loyalty and honesty. V was her son's friend and lived in her house for a time so for Mama Welles, V is family. She treats family different to strangers.

Misty is a shy and awkward introvert. I'm a bit like that in real life, which some people misinterpret as rudeness. Or maybe they aren't misinterpreting anything. Maybe it is rude. I don't know. All I can say is its reflexive and its not my intention to come off that way. Anyway, when V goes to the garage and sees Misty sitting outside, she is hesitant and makes excuses for not going in. She rationalizes it as an intrusion into someone else's personal space.

I don't think Mama Welles would see it like that at all. I think she sees it as her family's space and you are either family or you aren't. If Misty was a big part of her son's life, that garage isn't someone else's personal space - its hers too.

Misty again is hesitant to go to the Ofrenda and only does so because V coaxes her into it. She sees it as a place where she is not wanted but Mama Welles sees it differently. She might rationalize it along these lines: if her son meant something to her, she would go and pay respects, whatever ire she draws because she is demonstrating honestly and loyalty, no matter what other people think. I felt Mama Welles would respect her more if she stood her ground and fought for her place at the table, because she does have a right to be there.

By staying out and staying away, Misty will always be a stranger in Mama Welles' eyes. While Mama Welles is initially dismissive, V vouches for her by saying that despite appearances to the contrary, Misty meant a lot to Jackie and it wasn't just some temporary thing. After that she begins to accept Misty into her family. There is a conversation with Misty later where she says that Mama Welles is turning into her mother and how oppressive that feels, which as an Introvert, I totally get.

Last edited:
I don't think Mama Welles would see it like that at all. I think she sees it as her family's space and you are either family or you aren't.

This reminds me of a moment of frustration when V calls Mama Welles after Jackie's death. The ONLY line you're given is "Calling to offer my condolences," which causes Mama to snap angrily at you that you lived under her roof and should know better than to talk to her like some stranger!

And I'm like yeah I do, BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY CHOICE. (sigh)

Late comment but I recently got to see the ofrenda after missing it my first playthrough. Misty said Mama Welles didn't think she was daughter-in-law material. That she preferred Jackie's ex-girlfriend Camila. I'm really glad that added this memorial service in. It was nice to see Jackie honored, and to learn more about Jackie, Mama Welles, Misty, and Vik. Also I feel like Misty was just saying that V got to see the truest form of Jackie, like she did.

I loved those moments in game where you could forget for a while about contracts and all that killings and have serious conversations with your friends. Exploring Jackie`s garage and his stuff was also a rare moment in which you could see that writers made characters with blood and muscle.

I loved those moments in game where you could forget for a while about contracts and all that killings and have serious conversations with your friends. Exploring Jackie`s garage and his stuff was also a rare moment in which you could see that writers made characters with blood and muscle.
amen brother

I did not like Jackie so I just had driver dump him.
So I never went to his funeral, did the same thing every play through.
I was bothered that I couldn't get it on with Misty after Jackie was gone. :)

Having played both a male and female V, my impression with Mama Wells is that she just doesnt like Misty. Where my impression with River is that he is bi, since you get the same options for him regardless of gender for your V. At least I did.

If you tell Misty to go to Ofrenda then tell Mama Welles to invite her to dinner, you can go back later (3 game days IIRC) and talk to Mama Welles about it. Mama Welles sorta comes around and almost likes Misty, though Mama says Misty's a bit odd.

Top Bottom