Manor Lords [Upcoming]

+

Guest 3847602

Very interesting indeed. Curious to see how dynamic weather and change of seasons is going to affect the gameplay. It's one of my favourite things about Dawn of Man (pre-historic city village builder).

Curious to see how dynamic weather and change of seasons is going to affect the gameplay.
Not quite so interested on this count, but I would suspect weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or even heat, would affect units' fatigue, movement, or health; whereas, seasonal conditions would affect the manor economy, farms, construction times, etc.

Although, to a certain extent, I appreciate these touches of realism, it can be tricky to find the proper balance. Too many impediments, like adverse weather, fires, plagues, or famines, and a game can quickly become a chore. (This is similar to why I've never been very fond of survival games, where the player must respond to a variety of natural necessities, such as eating, drinking, sleeping, or sheltering. I prefer my games to be grounded in reality, but not shackled by it.)

I recently spotted Manor Lords on GOG.com, and must admit, I am intrigued. I haven't played this sort of game since the original Stronghold, but it looks as though it could prove entertaining. I'll be watching development with great interest.
Sigh... If only you could build like that in Cyberpunk. Would fit right in perfectly. Even if it was only the last feature still not being copied and implemented into the game.

I'm going to pass for a foolish and I admit games like that are not really my thing (though...), but the first images, it feels like in KCD.
The houses, the forests, landscapes... That's look good anyway :)

Edit : Maybe not too foolish, I just saw tweets from Warhorse about Slavic Magic :D

Guest 3847602

Not quite so interested on this count, but I would suspect weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or even heat, would affect units' fatigue, movement, or health; whereas, seasonal conditions would affect the manor economy, farms, construction times, etc.
That's pretty much what I'd like to see - system that would discourage offensives during the winter months in an organic way. To make you care more about managing resources than warfare until the spring comes.

if only you could build like that in Cyberpunk. Would fit right in perfectly.
Heh. That's rather off-topic, since Cyberpunk isn't a building/city economy simulator -- different genre -- and we're not going into that discussion here. Sorry.
I'm going to pass for a foolish and I admit games like that are not really my thing (though...), but the first images, it feels like in KCD.
The houses, the forests, landscapes... That's look good anyway
No worries. I haven't kept up on this style of game much of late, and this is the first one in which I've taken an interest for quite a while. Indeed, it looks a very attractive game, visually, and that is in its favour, in my book. I've seen far too many strategy games that looked like World of Warcraft -- an aesthetic I dislike.

That's pretty much what I'd like to see - system that would discourage offensives during the winter months in an organic way. To make you care more about managing resources than warfare until the spring comes.
That idea, I like, as 'twould be a fair, yet highly realistic design. After all, there's no sense marching your men through the snow, unless it's absolutely necessary. Best stay home, close to the fire, and keep an eye on the larder.

For me this would be a game I would play IF you could "posses" one of the fighters during the battle and play FP view combat. I think this makes you care more about your NPC "fodder". :p

For me this would be a game I would play IF you could "posses" one of the fighters during the battle and play FP view combat. I think this makes you care more about your NPC "fodder".
I can appreciate the sentiment of this approach, although, from a tactical perspective, I think it would likely make controlling large armies, as seen here, a bit more challenging, especially if one had to constantly toggle between various unit-commanders, rather than control everyone from above. I'm not familiar with specific games, but the first-person style perhaps would be better suited to smaller groups of fighters, such as a band of brigands, or a select number of knights on a quest together.

Guest 3847602

No worries. I haven't kept up on this style of game much of late, and this is the first one in which I've taken an interest for quite a while. Indeed, it looks a very attractive game, visually, and that is in its favour, in my book. I've seen far too many strategy games that looked like World of Warcraft -- an aesthetic I dislike.
Are you interested specifically in medieval city builders or medieval games in general. Cause if it's the latter, I can give you few recommendations.

Are you interested specifically in medieval city builders or medieval games in general. Cause if it's the latter, I can give you few recommendations.
Mediaeval strategy, mostly, though I've glanced at titles like Kingdom Come, (which, for some reason, hasn't captured my interest). Ancestors Legacy also looks intriguing, and is on my list. I'm open to suggestions, of course, however, over the years, I've found I've become rather 'choosy', when it comes to games. Also, sadly -- due to a shortage of funds -- I can only buy, perhaps, one game, every once in a while, unless the titles are remarkably discounted on sale.

Guest 3847602

Mediaeval strategy, mostly, though I've glanced at titles like Kingdom Come, (which, for some reason, hasn't captured my interest). Ancestors Legacy also looks intriguing, and is on my list. I'm open to suggestions, of course, however, over the years, I've found I've become rather 'choosy', when it comes to games. Also, sadly -- due to a shortage of funds -- I can only buy, perhaps, one game, every once in a while, unless the titles are remarkably discounted on sale.
Medieval Dynasty is similar in aesthetics to KCD, but it's the 1st person city builder/survival game. It's still in early access, updates are coming, but unfortunately, developer have less than stellar history of finishing their games.
Field of Glory 2: Medieval is turn based strategy game. Great unit variety and decent strategic depth.
Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord is an amazing medieval sandbox, but fully focused on warfare, so I don't know to what extent is that interesting to you.
And of course, there's Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition. Expansions are still coming out (new civilizations as well as new campaigns), Lords of the West came out in January, Dawn of the Dukes arrives in August. Best medieval strategy game ever made.
Edit: I forgot to mention Expeditions: Viking - turn based tactical RPG. Mostly grounded in reality, very, very few supernatural/mythological elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Field of Glory 2: Medieval is turn based strategy game. Great unit variety and decent strategic depth.
I recall looking at this one before. I'll give it another glance.
Medieval Dynasty is similar in aesthetics to KCD, but it's the 1st person city builder/survival game. It's still in early access, updates are coming, but unfortunately, developer have less than stellar history of finishing their games.
I saw this was in development, but paused over the survival bit. This'll probably be a pass, if ever it's released.
Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord is an amazing medieval sandbox, but fully focused on warfare, so I don't know to what extent is that interesting to you.
I tried the first Mount & Blade , but found the combat system very awkward, and the sandbox elements disappointing. I know I've looked at the second game, but I think I rejected it for the same reasons, despite more attractive visuals.
And of course, there's Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition. Expansions are still coming out (new civilizations as well as new campaigns), Lords of the West came out in January, Dawn of the Dukes arrives in August. Best medieval strategy game ever made.
The name's come up frequently. I'll keep it in mind. Many thanks for the recommendations!

And of course, there's Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition
One of the few where I really played "a lot", but it's old :)
But the one where I spent the most time and which "marked" me, was Settlers 2. See my little gold coins cross the map, it was great (for the time) :)

Edit : Besides, funny anecdote, I was managing to bring the PC to his knees 'cause there were "so many" constructions and animations on the screen... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

One of the few where I really played "a lot", but it's old :)
But the one where I spent the most time and which "marked" me, was Settlers 2. See my little gold coins cross the map, it was great (for the time) :)
Yeah, the original is old, but DE came out 2 years ago and brought a TON of improvements and entirely new content (the game currently features about 30 campaigns).
Good choice :howdy:

Yeah, the original is old, but DE came out 2 years ago and brought a TON of improvements and entirely new content (the game currently features about 30 campaigns).
I didn't mean "old" in the sense of old graphics, old gameplay, old games... but in the sense that it will be about 20 years since I played it. It doesn't make me feel younger to talk about it... :)

Top Bottom