Mantis Blades are fundamentally broken. Video in comments.

+
Ignoring the issues of terrible scaling and damage as well as buggy perk points that don't add damage to it, the main reasons why Mantis Blades are awful can be seen below.

I'll name them in the way all problems appear in the video;

1. There is only one kill cam animation and it's awful and completely locks down gameplay to a halt ruining the flow of a battle. Compare it to the other melee weapons, namely Katana. An instant chop decapitate. Very quick, very satisfying and doesn't lock you out of combat completely. It is far too slow and incredibly glitchy. It should be removed or we should be given a similar one to Katana, fast, quick, brutal, which suits the theme of Mantis Blades rather than some stupid grab lift wait.

2. After each Kill Cam Animation you can notice me frozen in place for a good second. That isn't me standing still, that is the end of the animation locking my controls. In this phase I am not invincible like you are during the kill cam.

3. Kill Cam Animation DOES NOT TRIGGER KILL BUFFS. Notice after I kill an enemy without the kill cam that a buff appears next to my Health? That is Cold Blooded. You also do not get the 18 Reflex Blade Perk for Health on Blade Kills unless you kill them OUTSIDE of the Kill Cam.

4. You do not always have Invincibility during Kill Cam. Notice at the end I almost instantly die during the animation. You cannot control the kill cam. It happens regardless of anything you do. I was never using Heavy Attacks in the video.

I know there are a multitude of things that have a bigger priority like bugs and glitches, but there is a reason you rarely see people using this weapon. They are fundamentally broken and not fun to use. They need a massive rework. The leap is great. It makes melee combat feel worthwhile and fun. But when you get into that absolutely awful animation, it completely disrupts anything you're doing to a complete and utter stop. It's awful.
Post automatically merged:

Here is a video of me using the Katana.

It is better not because of stats, ignoring that it scales a dozen times better, it is better because the flow of gameplay is not interrupted. It is a more enjoyable weapon to use. If an action game makes you lose complete control of your character over and over, IT IS NOT FUN.

And for those of you that read this far, here is another video of the Katana in use. Look at how much smoother this is. It's so much more enjoyable to use this than Mantis Blades.

At the very least, this awful kill cam animation NEEDS to be removed. You can ignore the Kill Cam by using the "NO KILL" mod on your Eyes, but then you're missing a core and fundamental part of the Mantis Blades. That they're a brutal and terrifying weapon like we saw in the cinematic trailer with the Cyberpsycho and the Max Tac. Not only that, this means you no longer trigger kill buffs either. That is not a fix. Getting rid of the kill cam would be the best way to fix this in the short run.

Last edited:
3. Kill Cam Animation DOES NOT TRIGGER KILL BUFFS. Notice after I kill an enemy without the kill cam that a buff appears next to my Health? That is Cold Blooded. You also do not get the 18 Reflex Blade Perk for Health on Blade Kills unless you kill them OUTSIDE of the Kill Cam.
This is the biggest issue by far. I've stopped using heavy attack completely in case it triggers the animation and I don't get my health regen and Cold Blood.

Juyo

Forum regular
And you can add the blood pump dont work anymore when mantis (or any other arms) are equiped. And the sadevistan effect is killed by mantis kill animation.

I wondered why I couldn't use blood pump, think I always had mantis blades equipped before I got the blood pump and I was never able to use it to heal! Good thread and completely agree, I love the mantis blades as a concept but the implementation is far from perfect at the moment so changes would be very welcome.

A side question: How do you upgrade cyberware weapons?
Buy new (better) ones at a different ripperdoc. There are only 4, I think: rare, epic, legendary and iconic. The iconic ones are misleading though, they can't actually be upgraded the same way as weapons and armour can.

A side question: How do you upgrade cyberware weapons?
Like Mantis Blades, Gorrilla Fists etc. etc.?
You can't. You can get higher rarity, which helps, but it has no scaling like actual weapons. So by the time you're around level 30, a good Katana like those two different Iconic Crit ones can hit for like 10k while your Mantis Blades only hit for about 2k.

Honestly this wouldn't bother me if they just got rid of the awful kill cam. That's one of their biggest issues so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom