map

+
"There are three or four major areas to explore, each of which is its own open world. However, these are discrete maps you travel between.

You can't, for instance, sail from Skellige to Novigrad. Instead, you go to the world map and "travel" to Novigrad. I asked why, and was told it's because CD Projekt wanted to keep the geography of the realm consistent while still representing all these areas. Basically, they know it would take hours of game-time to sail to Skellige, so instead you just fast-travel there." PCWorld, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt hands-on: Four hours with the most anticipated RPG of the year

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875...ith-the-most-anticipated-rpg-of-the-year.html

[h=1][/h]

They also said " All three areas seem gigantic, though I think Dragon Age: Inquisition is probably a larger game overall."

I'm getting the feeling that W3 will not be as huge as I have imagined it to be if its comparable to DAI in the slightest. But I'm still hopeful.

Do what, now? Dragon Age is *roughly* the same size as Skyrim, by everything I've seen about it. And then broken down into 8? smaller maps.

*each* of The Witcher 3's 2 main maps is stated at a size which is larger than Skyrim, and there are other smaller areas outside of these map areas.

Do what, now? Dragon Age is *roughly* the same size as Skyrim, by everything I've seen about it. And then broken down into 8? smaller maps.
Dragon Age: Inquisition's maps together are far larger than Skyrim put together. I don't know the exact measurements, but an educated guess would put them several times Skyrim's size. However, most of them are mostly empty space with no NPCs and few quests. Based on CDPR's promises, The Witcher 3 will feel considerably larger due to how much content the world has.

*each* of The Witcher 3's 2 main maps is stated at a size which is larger than Skyrim, and there are other smaller areas outside of these map areas.

Thats what I originally thought about TW3 map size, but every once and a while I'll hear stuff that would bring the size back down, like "TW3 is huge but...". I'm like is the game huge or not? This is really my only concern about the game. I remember before DAI came out the devs were boasting that it was huge but when I got the game it was 1 medium sized sand box(hinterlands) and a buch of smaller sandboxes and one big sized sandbox that was pretty much empty(hissing wastes).

Size is such a big deal because we often hear the words "huge" "massive" etc but very few games live up to that title. May 19th cant come any sooner.

The presentation document had 8.5km x 8,5km explicitly stated as the NML(& Novigrad) map size. This makes it larger than Skyrim right there. From what we've seen so far the map is fairly densely packed with things to see and do, though we are guided through it to the important and interesting things in various ways.

One thing I wonder about the map is the areas under the Skellige and white Orchard sections of the map. Are they explorable sections or are they cut off?

Also I notice what appears to be a massive military camp east of Bald mountain. Partly hidden under the clouds.

How can a map be so attractive, I don't understaaaaaand.

@Reventine -- you can travel to Skellige as much as you want, as far as I know, but White Orchid and Kaer Morhen are story related.

How can a map be so attractive, I don't understaaaaaand.

@Reventine -- you can travel to Skellige as much as you want, as far as I know, but White Orchid and Kaer Morhen are story related.

That isn't what he meant. Rather "is the area of the sheet covered up by these excerpts available for exploration too".

As I understand it, probably not. Just a convenience for illustration. Could be completely wrong though... we will only know for sure some 3 to 8 hours or more after the release of the game once the first players get into NML.

I went through this thread looking for information on this point because I wasn't sure.

I take the below quote to mean that you can actually roam outside the map borders, even all the way to the mountains, but you will find nothing but wilderness there.

If this is true, and that only rules out points of interest, does that mean that there will still be random wildlife that can be hunted? Wolves, endregas, bandits, drowners, etc? Or are the spawning locations for small mobs hand-placed as well?

Community Questions
Ultimately, we have to come to terms with the fact that our game is just that: a game, and as such it has to end somewhere. As sad as it might be. Generally you'll find that outside of the borders of our world, there's nothing of great interest placed. You might see some landmarks, like a distant lake or mountains, etc, but nothing that would be a genuine POI to the player. I guess it is in the realm of "believable" enough and it's something that you can quickly get over simply by turning around and facing towards the playable area. I guess you could say that we failed in our efforts of making this a great game where exploration is fun IF you constantly want to leave our world and ignore all the POIs we placed within the playable area. That'd hurt my feelings. :'(​

map is 20% larger than Skyrim and i hope it will be big enough for me to explode :lol:

It's much bigger than that. I'd read this thread ;).

---------- Updated at 06:27 AM ----------

I went through this thread looking for information on this point because I wasn't sure.

I take the below quote to mean that you can actually roam outside the map borders, even all the way to the mountains, but you will find nothing but wilderness there.

If this is true, and that only rules out points of interest, does that mean that there will still be random wildlife that can be hunted? Wolves, endregas, bandits, drowners, etc? Or are the spawning locations for small mobs hand-placed as well?

I think the context of the question asked would suggest that's not what they mean. I believe this was Eli's question? Basically they are saying there isn't anything in the background scenery that would make you want to leave the borders (you won't be able to anyway). I mean it has to end somewhere, right? All of the traversable land will be content filled.

Last edited:

I think Smithy has it right:
I think the context of the question asked would suggest that's not what they mean. I believe this was Eli's question? Basically they are saying there isn't anything in the background scenery that would make you want to leave the borders (you won't be able to anyway). I mean it has to end somewhere, right? All of the traversable land will be content filled.

My question was about the map's borders.
eliharel said:
About the map borders: I'm wondering about all the area between the edge of where you can go, and the farthest you can see, so if you can elaborate about that I'll be happy.
It's said that if we see something interesting, we can go there. Now if the border is an ocean or a steep mountain that blocks the view of anything beyond it, there's no problem, because there's nothing to be seen. However, and this is under the assumption that at least one map-border will sprawl out in regular terrain, what did you do to make it still believable but not tease us with cool things that we can't reach? Is there even such an area beyond the border of "can see, can't go" that is designed with as much care as the rest of the world?

So you can't wander to the end of the world. Which is obvious. Map borders => borders to the player. You can't go beyond those borders. It's where the map ends. So if we can wander beyond the "borders" as you're asking about damascus, the current "borders" aren't borders, and the real borders become those mountains where you're block. The borders are where the player is stopped. I was just wondering how did they design the terrain that we can see beyond those borders in a way that was still believable (i.e. not a flat grassland that stretches into oblivion without anything on it) but didn't tease us with cool things we couldn't reach.

They also said " All three areas seem gigantic, though I think Dragon Age: Inquisition is probably a larger game overall."

I'm getting the feeling that W3 will not be as huge as I have imagined it to be if its comparable to DAI in the slightest. But I'm still hopeful.
lol @ this ridiculous post. of course it will be way bigger than dragon age. it's been confirmed to be way bigger than skyrim alone many times over

---------- Updated at 07:39 AM ----------

Dragon Age: Inquisition's maps together are far larger than Skyrim put together. I don't know the exact measurements, but an educated guess would put them several times Skyrim's size. However, most of them are mostly empty space with no NPCs and few quests. Based on CDPR's promises, The Witcher 3 will feel considerably larger due to how much content the world has.
n
no it's not and skyrim is smaller than oblivion for instance

---------- Updated at 07:41 AM ----------

Thats what I originally thought about TW3 map size, but every once and a while I'll hear stuff that would bring the size back down, like "TW3 is huge but...". I'm like is the game huge or not? This is really my only concern about the game. I remember before DAI came out the devs were boasting that it was huge but when I got the game it was 1 medium sized sand box(hinterlands) and a buch of smaller sandboxes and one big sized sandbox that was pretty much empty(hissing wastes).

Size is such a big deal because we often hear the words "huge" "massive" etc but very few games live up to that title. May 19th cant come any sooner.
the game has been confirmed to be at least 130 square kilometres just counting skellige area and novigrad+ no man's land. that is 10 x the size of skyrim alone

@drunkensailor112 if you think that you'll have a game 10 times the size of Skyrim, I believe you should start reining in your expectations.

I think this dick measuring contest between different game maps isn't healthy. Personally I'll be worried about a game x10 larger than Skyrim because I really doubt it can be designed and filled in interesting ways.

@drunkensailor112 Personally I'll be worried about a game x10 larger than Skyrim because I really doubt it can be designed and filled in interesting ways.

But Skyrim was laughably compressed. Not only was everything five steps apart, the village of White Orchard alone seems to be larger than most of supposed Skyrim's "cities".

Not trying to compare anything with The Witcher 3 but Dragon Age Inquisition maps are not as big as people are claiming them to be, most of the parts are pretty quick to traverse from one end to the other, not even giving you enough reason to take out your mount and some of them are just straight roads starting from one point to the other with portions in some being locked due to the reasons like broken bridge forcing you to wait for the right time.

Finally the amount of time you spend in dungeons is pretty much a joke (I was expecting serious dungeons from this game). So map wise it's not as impressive as it sounded before release.

@drunkensailor112 if you think that you'll have a game 10 times the size of Skyrim, I believe you should start reining in your expectations.

I think this dick measuring contest between different game maps isn't healthy. Personally I'll be worried about a game x10 larger than Skyrim because I really doubt it can be designed and filled in interesting ways.
those are facts,. the skellige map is 64 square kilometres and the novigrad map is 76 square kilometres, you do the math. skyrim was 13 square kilometres

the game has been confirmed to be at least 130 square kilometres just counting skellige area and novigrad+ no man's land. that is 10 x the size of skyrim alone

Yeah, as Eli said, that would be pretty overzealous. I think you'll need to go back and do the maths again. Those two landmasses are about 3.7 x the size of Skyrim according to my calculations. That alone is huge.

I think one of the reasons why some expectations weren't met is the speed in which Geralt can travel - walking/riding was a laborious and tedious chore in Skyrim, and probably created unrealistic perceptions.

those are facts,. the skellige map is 64 square kilometres and the novigrad map is 76 square kilometres, you do the math. skyrim was 13 square kilometres

Skyrim was 14 - 15 square miles. Novi+NML = 72.25 km2. Skellige = 64 km2.

Last edited:
Skyrim heh
Its different world all together
Imagine listen to " I used to be witcher once".....from redanian guards

I used to be an adventurer like you, then a flying head hit my in the face.

---------- Updated at 10:05 AM ----------

Skyrim was 14 - 15 square miles. Novi+NML = 72.25 km2. Skellige = 64 km2.

For ease of use:
38km^2, 72.25km^2 and 64km^2 respectively.

Top Bottom