Martial Arts in 2077.

+
ShinGnosis;n6682382 said:
Nevermind martial arts. Let them get the story, shooting and driving right first. If there even is to be any driving that is. Martial Arts is quite low on the lists of priorities.

There will be driving in fact because CDPR was looking for vehicle gameplay designer a few times now.
Honestly its to be expected how else will you travel around the huge world which is supposedly bigger than Witcher 3

kanonite;n6859840 said:
I want to have cyberstrength affect unarmed damage, stuff like pulping some poor bastards face with a single knee kick via cyberleg.
In the PnP game strength is strength. If your cyber'd strength is still within human norms then no you won't be kicking down brick walls just because you have a cyberleg.

Suhiira;n6861650 said:
In the PnP game strength is strength. If your cyber'd strength is still within human norms then no you won't be kicking down brick walls just because you have a cyberleg.

As far as I know, PnP gave extra damage to cyberlimbs.

kanonite;n6861660 said:
As far as I know, PnP gave extra damage to cyberlimbs.
I believe you are correct. I see that as a minor and easily fixed flaw in the PnP rules, extra damage should be based on total strength with MAYBE +1 due to the fact that your foot is steel not meat.

Suhiira;n6861690 said:
I believe you are correct. I see that as a minor and easily fixed flaw in the PnP rules, extra damage should be based on total strength with MAYBE +1 due to the fact that your foot is steel not meat.

Theres also stuff like sov cyberwear which is effectively body mounted industrial equipment, and that thickened myomar stuff which doubles cyberlimb damage. Not to mention other implantable weapons such as the buzz or drill hand. Or hell, turning ones fist into a hydraulic ram.

I think the suggestion you made is only applicable if the limb is solely designed as a prosthetic, rather than augmentation, and I dont see an edgerunner getting something like that unless they are dirt poor or saving up for better chrome.

--- Updated 02-11-16, 23:28 ---

Basically, I want unarmed combat to feel visceral and crunchy and to account for cyberware. Hell, have stuff like a fighting style based on dual buzzhands/chainripp's.

Last edited:
I have practiced many martial arts and have achieved black belts in some, but mostly green or above. I loved the idea of the art of gundo (the name of the movie frustratingly avoids me , but they had a gun movement in that, others === matrix etc...).

HellBoy_2077;n6975860 said:
I have practiced many martial arts and have achieved black belts in some, but mostly green or above. I loved the idea of the art of gundo (the name of the movie frustratingly avoids me , but they had a gun movement in that, others === matrix etc...).

Equilibrium was the name of the film, and no gun kata is fucking shit terrible bullshit that should never be in anything.

Hoplite_22;n6981600 said:
Equilibrium was the name of the film, and no gun kata is fucking shit terrible bullshit that should never be in anything.

<Raises eyebrow.> Oh, reaaaaaalllly. Some of us really enjoyed it and think it was a lot of fun. Good thing your opinion isn't the only one around, I'd say.

I doubt the excellent, very cool-looking and perfectly realistic Gun Kata will be in Cyberpunk 2077, (because yeah, are you kidding?) but if it was, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play.

Oh, these still fresh Equilibrium hate tears...

In anyway, I'm not so confident in martial arts in 2077, and the reason is camera. Zeno Clash showed us that first-person close combat will be chore to play, for example.
There is a good implementation of martial arts in kinda open world game, but that's obviously Shenmue, where camera obviously shifts sideways, which makes combat sequences a distinct fighting game.

And no, cutscenes is not a way out.

metalmaniac21;n6985060 said:
And no, cutscenes is not a way out.

I'll take cutscenes, (a la Deus Ex) over nothing at all, because I don't mind doing unarmed attacks and looking neato...but it would be -such- a poor choice.

I think pulling out (phrasing!) to a third person camera makes the most sense, IF the whole game isn't TP. Which it could well be.

I'd love to see realistic martial Arts in CP2077. But I'd totally oppose Street Fighter 2077 or Matrix 2077.

Suhiira;n7230590 said:
I'd love to see realistic martial Arts in CP2077. But I'd totally oppose Street Fighter 2077 or Matrix 2077.

Ugh. Same. Can we not try for something that feels....real? I know it won't be, but surely we could try for something that you play and go, "Ow. Oh, yeah, I can see that working."

Bourne Identity, not Jackie Chan.

While Jackie Chan was HIGHLY choreographed at least it didn't violate the laws of physics 90% of the time like many martial arts games/movies.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n7235770 said:
While Jackie Chan was HIGHLY choreographed at least it didn't violate the laws of physics 90% of the time like many martial arts games/movies.

Sleeping Dogs? Probably the best martial arts game.

Calistarius;n7236280 said:
How about The Raid movies?

In terms of fight choreography, The Raid is probably my favorite martial arts movie.

They perfectly captured the feeling of fighting to survive and not just performing a punch of kata on screen.

Meccanical;n7238210 said:
In terms of fight choreography, The Raid is probably my favorite martial arts movie.

They perfectly captured the feeling of fighting to survive and not just performing a punch of kata on screen.

Yeah, like I could feel the sweat, blood, and pounding the characters got everytime a punch/kick/gunshot wound came in.

My favorite part was when a character got his throat pierced by another character with a broken door.

Very awesome moment.

Meccanical;n7238210 said:

Ahaahahha! No. I mean, sure, sort of. They were desperate enough and there was little to no wire work..

But they did lots of hilarious moves and kicks, they fought for HOURS whereas 3 minute full-power rounds are enough to gas anyone not a professional fighter and they took crazy, crazy amounts of damage.

If you've done full contact, you know. It hurts, it debilitates and it only gets worse as adrenalin and endorphins run out.

My favourite injury so far, (not my worst, har har), was the time I was half-blinded by a scratch to my cornea during full-contact group fight training. Ow. I did it to -myself-. With just the tiniest flick of my thumbnail on a blocked punch. Or elbow..group fighting is kind of nuts.

So then I couldn't really see out of one eye what with the stinging sweat in the wound, half my defensive view was gone...yeah. From a tiny scratch and a small error.

"Bright" side, I had to wear an eyepatch for weeks and what with being big, bald and eyepatched, pirate jokes in the gym were plenty. Bah. Stupid pirate jokes.

So everyone remembers videos of people taking a pounding or repeated hits, (look at this guy on youtube!) but the truth is for most of us, i.e. anyone not a professional fighter or physical freak, one or two good hits without gear on and that's -it-. Oh, in case you're wondering, I'm a 220+ pound weightlifter and I'm heavyweight+ by any poundage system. And if you clip me hard on the jaw or a good one to the groin or I overextend on a kick or trip on the ground or a mat or you or miss a block on an uppercut or elbow shot...yeah. I took a single good hit from a 110 lb female fighter and my ribs hurt for days. One hit.

So as much as I like the Raid and it's sequel, the amount of damage they take and dish out is hilarious to me. Cyberpunk 2020 system works so 3 or four good hits and you're seriously injured. One really good hit and you're injured or killed. It's presumed people are fighting for their lives in 2020, not playing pattycake.

Sardukhar;n7240480 said:
Ahaahahha! No. I mean, sure, sort of. They were desperate enough and there was little to no wire work..

But they did lots of hilarious moves and kicks, they fought for HOURS whereas 3 minute full-power rounds are enough to gas anyone not a professional fighter and they took crazy, crazy amounts of damage.

If you've done full contact, you know. It hurts, it debilitates and it only gets worse as adrenalin and endorphins run out.

My favourite injury so far, (not my worst, har har), was the time I was half-blinded by a scratch to my cornea during full-contact group fight training. Ow. I did it to -myself-. With just the tiniest flick of my thumbnail on a blocked punch. Or elbow..group fighting is kind of nuts.

So then I couldn't really see out of one eye what with the stinging sweat in the wound, half my defensive view was gone...yeah. From a tiny scratch and a small error.

"Bright" side, I had to wear an eyepatch for weeks and what with being big, bald and eyepatched, pirate jokes in the gym were plenty. Bah. Stupid pirate jokes.

So everyone remembers videos of people taking a pounding or repeated hits, (look at this guy on youtube!) but the truth is for most of us, i.e. anyone not a professional fighter or physical freak, one or two good hits without gear on and that's -it-. Oh, in case you're wondering, I'm a 220+ pound weightlifter and I'm heavyweight+ by any poundage system. And if you clip me hard on the jaw or a good one to the groin or I overextend on a kick or trip on the ground or a mat or you or miss a block on an uppercut or elbow shot...yeah. I took a single good hit from a 110 lb female fighter and my ribs hurt for days. One hit.

So as much as I like the Raid and it's sequel, the amount of damage they take and dish out is hilarious to me. Cyberpunk 2020 system works so 3 or four good hits and you're seriously injured. One really good hit and you're injured or killed. It's presumed people are fighting for their lives in 2020, not playing pattycake.

The raid 1 I can kinda understand, but Raid 2?

Goddamn does Rama take a freaking beating.

Top Bottom