Martial Arts in 2077.

+
Even though it was a broken mess, Sleeping Dogs did martial arts thing pretty well.. There were little to no combo deal and you could kick and grapple your enemies..

There were only one fighting style in Sleeping Dogs, but for CP77, there could be something like a weapon selector menu where you could pick between fighting styles you have learned.. (by spending points) Your weapon would holster when you pick a fighting style..

this system could work.......

There were only one fighting style in Sleeping Dogs, but for CP77, there could be something like a weapon selector menu where you could pick between fighting styles you have learned.. (by spending points) Your weapon would holster when you pick a fighting style..

Seriously folks, they'd need ten times the size of their team for all of this...Martial arts here, the way I see it, should be brutal and efficient, especially when you have only a split second in a gunfight.
From my own experience: Thai boxing for kicks/punches, Aikido for disarming and Brazilian jiu jitsu for grappling/chokes. Not sure about Krav Maga, though.

I really hope for an individual skill tree for this as it seems to be a pretty big part of Cyberpunk. As Bobo says, it needs to be up close and fast with the presence of guns in the game. If From can put separate animations for each weapon, CDPR, who has a crack animation team, should be able to represent multiple martial art styles. That said, I don't expect it to be too fleshed out like gadgets and guns.

I really hope for an individual skill tree for this as it seems to be a pretty big part of Cyberpunk.

For all weapons...let's face it, TPS mechanics won't be as good as in top tier games of the genre( for the most part, all are entirely focused on combat/encounters), but adding different "move sets" for each playstyle, this could be something very interesting that would make it stand out. Dual wielding hand guns would play a lot differently than typical +damage/less accuracy or recoil: trade off, as result of ...and more rpg progression to boot.

If From can put separate animations for each weapon, CDPR, who has a crack animation team, should be able to represent multiple martial art styles

Real question is how to make it work well during gun fights... RE VI has the most "fluid" and complex shoot+melee system, but at the expense of it being entirely QTE based on enemy action/positional damage/environment/etc.
If they're going on fast paced/lethal gunplay, I see more as specific "finishers"...shoot'em in the knee and kick'em in the balls sort of thing. :p

I pray they don't do one click finishers. CDPR has skirted proper combo mechanics in a game about swordplay for 3 titles. It's kinda depressing. But if they do go with melee finishers, DOOM is the model.

Contextual, fast, brutal. This is how it's done.

Last edited:
Well, I've stumbled on this: http://neuro.portalseeker.com/weapons.pdf.

Loads of weapons, scroll all the way down, even got "Bioware combat tail"...whatever those are( kick someone and turn'em into potential romance option, eh? :p).

2077, body armor, robots/androids, melee may-be only viable with high tech...something like shock gloves would be pretty sweet.

One of the coolest things about the P&P game I felt was the inclusion of different fighting styles that each had strengths in certain areas.

While I would love it if CP2077 did the same, I wouldn't be surprised if martial arts is just made a singular skill.

One of the coolest things about the P&P game I felt was the inclusion of different fighting styles that each had strengths in certain areas.

While I would love it if CP2077 did the same, I wouldn't be surprised if martial arts is just made a singular skill.

I think you're correct. Which is too bad, because the different styles had different learning costs. If you spent points on the more expensive ones, your skill advancement was slower but -wow- you eventually rocked.

Yeah, not too mention having different fighting styles didn't automatically make you Neo from the Matrix, you could be a Karate master, but you would be at a huge disadvantage if a master wrestler managed to get a hold on you.(Unless your dodge and escape skill is also high but still)

I just think variety is nice, not too mention I thing seeing a variety of animations for the different disciplines would be cool.

Admittedly I am a martial arts geek, hand to hand combat situations might not be that common in the game CDPR envisions.

https://youtu.be/T0XQosAeal0?t=301

Something like this? :p

Doom more about making you feel like a complete bad ass with it's "reap and tear".

This looks good in RL if they toned it down a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwy2RLAPL7k

Against lowest level opponents: humans, untrained, no body armor: melee could work. Since they're going for "rise from the gutter", fighting should feel "dirty with no fancy spins, Bruce Lee gimmicks, etc.

Versus stronger opponents it could work if player could "research" special melee abilities to target specific weak points or disarm them. Otherwise, you're dead (no matter how good you are), if you try to punch your way through someone in full body armor and has any amount of skill.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Wing Chun in this.

Its fast, practical, quick to learn, flexible, and bullshit free.:D

The trouble is those movie fights are always carefully choreographed.
In real-life even 1-on-1 while knowing a Martial Art is a definite advantage it's hardly a guaranteed win. And if you're outnumbered the odds against you go up dramatically.

BUT ... it's a game ... so I suppose a little Hollywood is reasonable ... just none of that "character VS 10" crap.

Nevermind martial arts. Let them get the story, shooting and driving right first. If there even is to be any driving that is. Martial Arts is quite low on the lists of priorities.

Nevermind martial arts. Let them get the story, shooting and driving right first. If there even is to be any driving that is. Martial Arts is quite low on the lists of priorities.

Maybe for you. Our games saw a -lot- more Martial Arts/ Hand to Hand ugliness than driving ugliness. Hell, some games/sessions way more physical force was non-gun than gun. Because jumping up to lethal in Cyberpunk 2020 is a good way to lose that character you played for the last month.

Martial arts to me are a must have in the game. Nowadays that we have achieved a bigger degree of internationalism and we understand the world and the future we're heading to a bit more than in the 80s... it's difficult to picture katanas, shurikens, vat grown ninjas and martial arts being that big of a deal in the future that they would colour street crime or special ops as much as in old cyberpunk. But fuck me if they're not part of the essential mystique of cyberpunk (and fuck me if they are, because sex is cool).

I want to have cyberstrength affect unarmed damage, stuff like pulping some poor bastards face with a single knee kick via cyberleg.

Top Bottom