Martial Arts in 2077.

+
Why I think Cyberpunk "should be a combat game", is because it will be very hard otherwise to capture the danger that is to be ever present in that world.
Having violence solve everything is not the point, on the contrary - a complex and difficult combat system will encourage you to look for other solutions a la RPG.

I'll disagree. By making combat the most interesting and well made option you'll encourage people not to seek less interesting and fleshed-out solutions. Not that I expect a lot of shooter fans to look for them anyway, they'll just bitch the game isn't great shooter therefore is a total flop as a game.

Last edited:
But if you die 4 times in a row because smashing the X button is not how you get things done, or if you no matter your skills are likely to die if you face 3+ opponents, that should make you appreciate alternatives.
It depends on how well you balance combat and other options. And making the rewards for choosing other options clear.

So only those who insist on letting violence solve everything will choose that path, because it is in no way the easiest or most rewarding way to play the game.

That's how I see this

ravaa124;n7293320 said:
But if you die 4 times in a row because smashing the X button is not how you get things done, or if you no matter your skills are likely to die if you face 3+ opponents, that should make you appreciate alternatives.
Sure, some will, but far to many will complain the game sux because no matter what combination of buttons they push on their controller they can't beat it.

And you know what ... if the game is combat centric they're actually somewhat justified.

Last edited:
Well I approach this from "doing the best rpg possible".
If CDPR intend to be a crowd pleaser and take QTE ruined kids complaints seriously, it won't be.

Hoplite_22;n6981600 said:
Equilibrium was the name of the film, and no gun kata is fucking shit terrible bullshit that should never be in anything.

Well thank you for your honesty and i agree with you, Equilibrium was over the top (but in my mind looked awesome) and i do take your point (it's not for you).

My point however is... Guns used to execute martial arts actions can and are useful and very very deadly, command of a situation using this tool is never to be underestimated. As you will be aware you don't have the personal experience, I do so please take me at my word :)
It may be a game but this is a valid MA avenue just as any other.

HellBoy_2077;n7617220 said:
Well thank you for your honesty and i agree with you, Equilibrium was over the top (but in my mind looked awesome) and i do take your point (it's not for you).

My point however is... Guns used to execute martial arts actions can and are useful and very very deadly, command of a situation using this tool is never to be underestimated. As you will be aware you don't have the personal experience, I do so please take me at my word :)

Yeaaa-ahh, that never works. Anyone can say that. And you are free to do so. If you want people to give you credibility, support your statement with evidence of it. At least half-hearted evidence. Like, say,

"Guns used to execute martial arts actions can and are useful and very very deadly" because THIS news report or THIS fact sheet or THIS fellow on youtube here.

Otherwise, it's "believe me because I want you to." Which is totally fine to say, but isn't likely to convince other forum posters, never mind a passing RED.

Personally I tend to dismiss movies/games with gun-fo as cute commix, nothing I can ever take seriously.
Nothing wrong with them, just not to my taste.

Suhiira;n7622120 said:
Personally I tend to dismiss movies/games with gun-fo as cute commix, nothing I can ever take seriously.
Nothing wrong with them, just not to my taste.

Equilibrium -is- hyper-cool, though. Well worth a watch and the gun kata is neato!

As for Cyberpunk, any kind of firearms martial art should be practical and effective. Think John Wick. Think Center Axis Relock. Crisp, accurate, ruthless.

Sardukhar;n7622740 said:
Equilibrium -is- hyper-cool, though. Well worth a watch and the gun kata is neato!

As for Cyberpunk, any kind of firearms martial art should be practical and effective. Think John Wick. Think Center Axis Relock. Crisp, accurate, ruthless.

Oh yeah I loved the way John Wick fought. Personally I would take over Gun Kata any day. Though I wonder how it would fare against cybered up people.xD

Or... this...

They don't make cops like they do in Sweden... XD

Anyway... I do think there is some usage from using your guns in close quarter combat (without firing them I mean). It's probably pretty limited, and only usable in very specific situations... probably only in situations like if said person with a gun happend to round a corner and run into an opponent... in such a moment it's maybe better to just pistol-whip them in the face or somehting, then try and get a shot of... it all depends on the circumstances really.

Sardukhar;n27402 said:
This is a two fold question. Settle down! You can do it.

1. Which Martial Arts/Face-punching styles would you like to see in CP2077. Weapons included, of course. Try to leave room for other people to list, so don't list more than, say, your favourite five. FIVE. I know you'll disobey anyway, you bastards. Re-list to support others, of course.

2.HOW. How would you like to see them implement melee, including hand to hand. Grappling could be a real challenge. Batman-AA style? Gothic-style swordfights? Witcher-style? 1 or 2? And why would you pick this method. Do you have any control scheme examples?

If there is room for a more complex development, I'd like to see a few different schools/styles to choose from, or pick and choose from them all (multiclass into a mixed martial arts fighter)

1. Ninjitsu (Ghost in the shell is a perfect example)

2. Kick boxing / Muay Thai

3. Modern combo of martial arts with pistols (John Wick, Matrix)

Ideally, it should be part of the one and only combat system. Omikron The Nomad Soul and Sleeping dogs were fantastic, but both could never escape the feeling of playing a mini game during hand to hand combat.

So, it should more resemble Tekken thrown in the existing weapons combat.

And to be fair, this could very well be in the pipeline, looking at the trailer. The woman cyborg looks like an assassin, using melee weapons, about to mess up police with guns.

Tl dr Ghost in the shell chasedown scene vs hacked guy armed with an uzi should be a mechanic in game

Sardukhar;n7621990 said:
Yeaaa-ahh, that never works. Anyone can say that. And you are free to do so. If you want people to give you credibility, support your statement with evidence of it. At least half-hearted evidence. Like, say,

"Guns used to execute martial arts actions can and are useful and very very deadly" because THIS news report or THIS fact sheet or THIS fellow on youtube here.

Otherwise, it's "believe me because I want you to." Which is totally fine to say, but isn't likely to convince other forum posters, never mind a passing RED.

I agree :).

Not sure if it's already been suggested, but I'd love to see Eskrima/Kali. It's been used on a lot of Hollywood movies and considered to be one of the most deadliest martial arts. It's like the South East Asian equivalent of Kung Fu from China, due to its various styles with stick fighting as the most popular of them.

Muay Thai would be nice

For melee combat, I love to focus more on the action. I like deep action such as dark souls that would be awesome if you put into cyberpunk world, make combat approach in a tactic way, predictable movement deadly (in some cases)and challenging, make the pushing buttons on the right timing mean something. If there is a gun or any items we can use, use in the very effective way in terms of resources management. Compare to witcher I feel great about combat but on 200+ hours I feel overwhelming difficult on deathmatch level most of time I died in group fight or some unknown projectile event with arrow deflect skill.Maybe because movement it's hard to predict. or I I am not skilled enough. haha, Speak of The Witcher's combat I prefer The Witcher 2 combat, as I remember combat more solid, more good feeling for me I keep fighting over and over for leveling up my character. pretty fun. Event on hardest difficulty I still enjoy and feel nothing wrong about it.

Or if you want to focus on shooting is fine, support with a nice shooting mechanic that would be a great option.

anyway thanks for your space,
I am waiting for your next great game.

Last edited:
gun kata! i'd love to see that.

also if anyone so the movie the raid 1 and 2 - don't know what kind of martial art is there but it is brutal, so i'd love to see that also.

hodo koroso (if i pronounce correctly ) is a form of martial arts that relise on avilabe object in the enviroment, such as pen, umbrela, a rock, etc. seen in bourne movies, also in the book shibomi

tropit9;n7735980 said:
gun kata! i'd love to see that.

also if anyone so the movie the raid 1 and 2 - don't know what kind of martial art is there but it is brutal, so i'd love to see that also.

hodo koroso (if i pronounce correctly ) is a form of martial arts that relise on avilabe object in the enviroment, such as pen, umbrela, a rock, etc. seen in bourne movies, also in the book shibomi

I personally wouldn't like gun kata to be in here but Silat (Martial Art used in Raids 1 and 2) HELL YEAH.

Top Bottom