Mass Effect 5

+
What bad endings? The ME3 endings were beautiful, andromeda some or many didn't like it, but personally I liked it a lot, because I just took the game as it was, a game in itself and not tied to the trilogy

The Red Green Blue (and the fourth, kill the holo kid) endings were beautiful? Mah.
If those are beautiful, CP story and endings should indeed deserve an oscar...

Last edited:
Seems like Destroy is gonna get canonized just from the dead Reaper & blown up Relay in the teaser.
Andromeda was actually better than 1-3 in some gameplay aspects, but if the story remains at Andromeda's quality tier I wouldn't put much hope into this game. Not sure what Hudson and co leaving means in relation to this either.

In video games either you make the greatest game ever, or it's mediocre crap that is a disgrace to consumers.
Some games are great, some are horrible and some are average. The gaming industry in this way is like most other industries.

The video games/entertainment industry is definitely strange compared to most others apart from this however. For instance if I'm sold on a Big Mac and I order a Big Mac but I get served a Fillet-O-Fish I'm not blamed for being excited for a Big Mac and other customers don't get mad at me for wanting a Big Mac regardless of if they wanted a Big Mac or a Fillet-O-Fish. No one says, just buy your own McDonalds. Similarly most people don't expect to be lectured by McDonalds and taught about morality...some how though games corporations are different...probably has something to do with social engineering I would guess but I just want a game not a psychological cloning and indoctrination device.

In almost every other industry there are standards, in gaming you can pretty much do whatever you want, lie to your customers, abuse them financially, psychologically manipulate them through various in game practices etc and you can always expect to have some portion of the community blame you for whatever your issue is. Hopefully one day gaming is treated like most most other industries where there is an actual standard and the goal is to provide a product that customers actually want instead of use it as a platform to preach. A basic valuing of the customer seems like a good place to start...or return to.

Carefully optimistic.

While Mass Effect Andromeda was a great game (actually it was in many ways better, especially storywise, than ME2 and of course ME3, and people should finally come around accepting that...), it was obviously an attempt to "plant" the MilkyWay races into a new setting/location, because Bioware wrote themselves into a stupid, unnecessary corner with the red/blue/green stupidity.

i just hope that - again unpopulat I suppose - we get 600 years into the future, play again as Femshep Reborn, Liara is the only recurring old char (and wouldn't even need her, but yeah, those fanboys of hers....), and we get a tie-up with Andormeda.

Because I want more Shepard, and I want definatly more Ryder.

Will Bioware deliver? Well ... at least around here nobody should mock that studio ever again by comparing them to the "superior" CD Red ... I have higher hopes Bioware/EA delivering a great ME5 that undoes the stupidity of ME3 than I have with CD Red rectifying their silly endings for CP2077 ...

In almost every other industry there are standards, in gaming you can pretty much do whatever you want, lie to your customers, abuse them financially, psychologically manipulate them through various in game practices etc and you can always expect to have some portion of the community blame you for whatever your issue is. Hopefully one day gaming is treated like most most other industries where there is an actual standard and the goal is to provide a product that customers actually want instead of use it as a platform to preach. A basic valuing of the customer seems like a good place to start...or return to.

If CDPR's investors successfully bring lawsuits against CDPR, it might go some way to setting those standards.

Similarly most people don't expect to be lectured by McDonalds and taught about morality...some how though games corporations are different...probably has something to do with social engineering I would guess but I just want a game not a psychological cloning and indoctrination device.
Big Macs aren't trying to say something, stories are. Any narrative based game is going to have perspective. As you said, if one is worried that a game's perspective isn't their cup of tea, don't pre-order the game. Wait for it to come out, read what it's doing and then make a decision.
I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand, but video games are a creative venture (like novels, movies, shows etc). What people want often changes with the times. It's not really very much like a Big Mac at all. Having said that, my Big Mac never looks like the one on TV.

In retrospect I have a better memory of Andromeda than of the original trilogy.

mass effect was a scam saga, which revolved around the importance of your decisions, and solved them in a tricky and sloppy way. Of the trilogy, the game that I liked the most is the second. That it can practically be played as a standalone game does not say anything good about the trilogy. The first Mass Effect has aged very poorly, and the third was a scam and a mockery. Andromeda for me was a breath of fresh air. I was bored with the protagonists of Bioware games, who are always the one chosen to defeat a great threat and is the fucking master and everyone licks their balls just because.

Ryder was different, and that's precisely what I liked about Ryder. With Andromeda they tried to do something different. But people had such a strong erection towards Sephard that anything that wasn't Sephard was automatically going to be labeled like trash.

Now it seems that mass effect 4 considers Andromeda a mistake. Between the current bioware has already let me down many times, and the old bioware style bored me anyway ...

What I want is an Andromeda 2.

Big Macs aren't trying to say something, stories are. Any narrative based game is going to have perspective. As you said, if one is worried that a game's perspective isn't their cup of tea, don't pre-order the game. Wait for it to come out, read what it's doing and then make a decision.
The reality of marketing and thus McDonalds would not agree with you that their Big Mac's having nothing to say just as no other corporation selling a product for that matter would agree. Ever since Edward Bernays pretty much the whole marketing and public relations aspect of business in totality has functioned around selling their products with a story, creating an image around the product to make it "say something."

Apart from that however, I certainly believe that there should be a place for if not all, certainly most stories for most consumers but that world doesn't and hasn't been allowed to exist in gaming and entertainment for quite awhile as developers and artists are virtually forced to speak and tell their stories within a mold deemed socially acceptable by a tiny percentage of society. This leads to games developers selling you on the taste and satisfaction of a Big Mac but handing you a Fillet-O-Fish at the counter after you've already paid.

The idea of "Wait for it to come out, read what it's doing and then make a decision." works well in practice if you can somehow escape the efforts of countless millions dumped into marketing and advertising and if you're allowed to know what it's doing. But again, this is just more of the blaming the manipulated consumer logic. Would corporations invest so much money and effort into advertising and marketing if it wasn't extremely effective and in ways that most people don't understand? Probably not to be kind.

I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand, but video games are a creative venture (like novels, movies, shows etc). What people want often changes with the times. It's not really very much like a Big Mac at all. Having said that, my Big Mac never looks like the one on TV.

It has to do with BioWare the company that created Mass Effect and the way they've chosen to go about creating their products. As far as your Big Mac never looking like it does in the commercial, you've missed the point. Most companies go out of their way to make their mass produced products according to a uniform standard as much as possible and that includes even McDonalds and their Big Mac's. If you order a Big Mac and it looks pretty close to the commercial most people agree that's acceptable but even if you didn't think that was acceptable it isn't likely that other McDonalds customers would have a problem with you wanting a more carefully crafted Big Mac.

The point however is that you still for the most part get a Big Mac when you order a Big Mac having been sold a Big Mac where as in gaming you're sold a Big Mac, order a Big Mac, get a Fillet-O-Fish and somehow it's your fault.

Most companies go out of their way to make their mass produced products according to a uniform standard as much as possible and that includes even McDonalds and their Big Mac's.
Media and entertainment fitting a uniform standard is a big no-go for me.
The point however is that you still for the most part get a Big Mac when you order a Big Mac having been sold a Big Mac where as in gaming you're sold a Big Mac, order a Big Mac, get a Fillet-O-Fish and somehow it's your fault.
But Andromeda is very much a game about exploring space and a struggle for survival against all odds. How is that final product not what you thought of with the name "Mass Effect." Some of the elements may not have been up to the quality of what you expected (much like my burger is sometimes overcooked or has mustard on it despite my specifically telling them I wanted no mustard), but Andromeda was an open-ish world action RPG about space exploration and struggle. I never got the feeling that it was something other than what I was told it would be.

EDIT: Sure, it borrowed more from Dragon Age: Inquisition that I wanted, but I could have told you that after seeing just a couple of previews about it. And it wasn't as good ultimately as I wanted it to be, but "not as good as I wanted it to be" is not the same thing as "false advertising."

EDIT AGAIN: I should probably bring this back to topic ... I think the concept of reconnecting the Milky Way Galaxy after the destroy ending of Mass Effect 3 could be a very interesting single player game.

Last edited:
Media and entertainment fitting a uniform standard is a big no-go for me.
Me too, except in the way in which I am suggesting. I'm not suggesting uniform as in terms of creativity, that is something I am completely against as such a concept is the antithesis of creativity and one of the things I value most is the freedom to express oneself freely (within reason of course) even if it offends every other human being on Earth.

What I am suggesting is uniformity of quality standards that provides the consumer some kind of wall of protection so to speak that protects the consumer so that they are not held responsible for purchasing a product that was sold in marketing as one thing but sold in exchange for currency as another. A uniform quality standard that says something to the effect of "If this is what is marketed, this is what should be delivered." To what extent such a wall of protection would exist I don't know, but something more than the almost nothing that exists now.

If the games company sells me on a BMW, I want a BMW not a Ford and certainly not a big wheel or blow up plastic pony. Ideally I wouldn't desire such a quality uniformity standard but wherever there is money involved, there are people screwing over customers and it's hurting gaming tremendously because the profit possibility is too great for people to pass up due to human nature. Seeing as gaming has become the most profitable entertainment industry, it needs some form of quality regulation in my opinion to hold corporations responsible as to opposed to the almost free reign they have now to deceive and manipulate millions and then say "Oops our bad".

But Andromeda is very much a game about exploring space and a struggle for survival against all odds. How is that final product not what you thought of with the name "Mass Effect." Some of the elements may not have been up to the quality of what you expected (much like my burger is sometimes overcooked or has mustard on it despite my specifically telling them I wanted no mustard), but Andromeda was an open-ish world action RPG about space exploration and struggle. I never got the feeling that it was something other than what I was told it would be.

EDIT: Sure, it borrowed more from Dragon Age: Inquisition that I wanted, but I could have told you that after seeing just a couple of previews about it. And it wasn't as good ultimately as I wanted it to be, but "not as good as I wanted it to be" is not the same thing as "false advertising."

I believe in cause and effect and I believe that good work is likely to be rewarded and appreciated, of course the latter is idealism perhaps to a large degree but ultimately we can often see the reflection of a products quality in terms of it's success and the way in which the average consumer receives it and how it is remembered. Beyond this, I concede to you regarding this point as further discussion would likely only result in circular subjectivity.

Never bothered with Andromeda, personally, after looking at reviews and some gameplay.

Even though BioWare is no longer the same company that it once was, it's still one of the few AAA RPG studios, so of course I'm always keeping an eye on what they release, even if I'm not that hopeful.

That said, I wish they'd just work on a new IP (that isn't an online Destiny clone...), let DA and ME rest, they've suffered enough already...

A few articles / videos discussing it:
I LOVED mass effect 1.
2 and 3 and beyond never made me happy :giveup:
I'm sorry, but zero hype for this one, after the terrible endings of ME3 and Andromeda...
You can say that again! :smart:
I don't trust Bioware. I hope they canonize the Destroy ending and leave Andromeda to rotten, but I have doubts they'll do it.
Bioware with the docs is dead. I don't see any reason to wait for this one. Mass Effect had a nice run, but now it's being made by different people in different times.
Something strange I noticed is that Deus Ex Human Revolution's cyber hospital (rebuild main characters body scene) was incredibly similar to Mass Effect 2's hospital scene. Also the ending of Deus EX human revolution (with those "pick option 1, 2, 3, or this extra option we added in because everyone is upset!) was extremely similar to Mass Effect 3's endings.

Strangely enough, from what I heard about others discussing Cyberpunk2077
Cyberpunk2077's endings are similarly organized and equally as disappointing
View attachment 11125034

There's something for everyone I guess....
Made me laugh really hard, thanks Gillian_Seed. :giveup: (puddle of tears of laughter)
Post automatically merged:

The Red Green Blue (and the fourth, kill the holo kid) endings were beautiful? Mah.
If those are beautiful, CP story and endings should indeed deserve an oscar...
Someone actually understands!

What bad endings? The ME3 endings were beautiful, andromeda some or many didn't like it, but personally I liked it a lot, because I just took the game as it was, a game in itself and not tied to the trilogy
I personally felt like the endings were very cheap and last second afterthoughts lacking absolutely all passion and inspiration. :giveup:
Absolutely adore the Mass Effect trilogy. Andromeda is the black sheep of the family with the worst story but the best gameplay. Unfortunately its clear that it was made by people that had an agenda to push and quite frankly I see the same happening for ME5 because games can't just be games anymore. The trilogy reboot I'll buy though for sure.
Do you trust EA and Bioware to even handle properly remastering the original without changing it in a way that isn't true to the original? :shrug:
If you're being honest with yourself, what made BioWare is long gone, dead and rotted over. I do love the first three ME games though, even ME:3 and so that perpetually idealistic and naïve fool within me is looking forward to having something else I love be yet again stomped into the mud and spit on. Here's hoping it won't come to that...lol yeah right.

Last edited:
Do you trust EA and Bioware to even handle properly remastering the original without changing it in a way that isn't true to the original? :shrug:

You raise a fair point, they'll probably find a way to fuck it up somehow by running ads instead of loading screens or making it episodic or cram in microtransaction garbage that was never there in the first place like what Activision did with the COD4 remaster.​

Mass Effect 1 is still my all time numero uno number one favourite game.

Andromeda, whilst not reaching the lofty standards set, was still 100 hours of banging good fun in the ME settings.

So yeah - gimme! GIMME ALL THE EFFECTED MASS!

What bad endings? The ME3 endings were beautiful
its as beautiful as a toupee, i think the crucible is one of the worst plot device i had ever seen in a story i was expecting a shit ending as soon as it was introduced ,but what was very weird for me was how the story was confused ,part of it wants to focus on unity the other is on the crucible and the way that it ends with probably one of the worst endings to a story that till this very day leaves a sour taste on whoever loved the series

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely enough, from what I heard about others discussing Cyberpunk2077
Cyberpunk2077's endings are similarly organized and equally as disappointing

Not true. Cyberpunk endings are very different between each other, both in the missions and themes. People who are disappointed with them, are for a different reason, which I don't think it's mature and I don't share. But we are OT

Top Bottom