Mass Effect 5

+
What bad endings? The ME3 endings were beautiful, andromeda some or many didn't like it, but personally I liked it a lot, because I just took the game as it was, a game in itself and not tied to the trilogy
If you liked it, nobody should take that away from you, but the ending was pathetic, ridiculous, and obviously patched together at the last moment, because they were behind with finishing the game. One could see proof for that in the DLCs released later.
Andromeda was way less of a disaster than it was initially, once they corrected the problems it had at release, except maybe the inventory-system, but that was bad because fundamental short-comings of the engine. Yes there was unnecessary pandering in the game, but it was way less aggressive than people like to admit.
Generally I liked Andromeda, my favourite ME was ME2 by far.
What makes me worry is that Hudson left the development. Despite me throwing rocks at him at the time of the botched ME3 ending, he was someone who was able to hold the project together.

Guest 3847602

I think the tone of Andromeda was a reaction to the popularity of the Citadel DLC. That DLC has a fairly similar tone and even characters that were serious in the main game were suddenly slinging humorous quips left and right.

The thing is...the Citadel DLC was popular because it was only a couple hours of that at most, and because the more lighthearted tone felt like welcome break from the unrelenting grimness of the main game. It was also the Normandy crew's last hurrah, after the party they were all headed into the final battle.

Stretching that tone out over 60 hours of game just didn't work.

Hopefully that lesson was learned going into ME5. The game can have it's humorous moments, but don't overdo it.
Yeah, there's definitely the influence of Citadel (which is itself influenced by the fans' reaction to 3's ending) and there's also the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.
One lesson I hope Bioware have learned by now is to avoid kneejerk reactions and tendency to overcorrect elements that were criticized: Mako has awkward handling physics - remove it. Navigating through the inventory is time consuming - remove it. Leveling up skills is about increasing percentages - streamline it to hell and back. Mass Effect 3 is all doom and gloom - let's make a sitcom sequel.
Game absolutely should have funny moments, but they should be used wisely, spread out to offset the dominant, serious tone.

Yeah, there's definitely the influence of Citadel (which is itself influenced by the fans' reaction to 3's ending) and there's also the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.
One lesson I hope Bioware have learned by now is to avoid kneejerk reactions and tendency to overcorrect elements that were criticized: Mako has awkward handling physics - remove it. Navigating through the inventory is time consuming - remove it. Leveling up skills is about increasing percentages - streamline it to hell and back. Mass Effect 3 is all doom and gloom - let's make a sitcom sequel.
Game absolutely should have funny moments, but they should be used wisely, spread out to offset the dominant, serious tone.

That is a good point about Bioware having a tendency to overcorrect.

The only true worry I have is there is a lot of chatter and talk and celebration about the online elements in their games going forward.

Nothing kills strong single player stories like moving part or whole of it online.

Absolutely agree. Although I really did have a lot of fun with ME3 multiplayer, especially with friends and OP builds just thrashing through the waves.

Rudo_

Forum regular
Just learn your lesson guys, do not jump into hype train or pre-order it. Wait until it released and decide after you saw a review. Or you will put your blame into the company because of your disappointment.
Most definitely. Anyways, i'm hyped as fuck! Mass Effect 1,2&3 are one of the best games i've ever played. Definitely best trilogy.

I'm not sure where they can go with Mass Effect 5. They have the narrative problem of, "where do you go after saving the galaxy?"

I'm guessing it's going to be a story of finding Shepard, or something.

A few articles / videos discussing it:

Oh yay woo, CGI trailer with no substantive information, omega hype gaiz! Is that all Bioware put out these days? CGI teaser trailers that say little more than "I know our most recent games were crap but we are still working on a new game in that series you like!". I mean sorry Bioware but it does not work like that, you have not put out a good game since Mass Effect 2, unless you can show us something that indicates your next game isn't going to be complete garbage I am not interested, you can put out all the teaser trailers with characters that we recognize from games we may have once had some sort of fondness for but it really does not mean anything, gone are the days where you could coast on name recognition alone, show us something with substance or don't even bother.

Also is it just me or is the Dragon Age universe kind of crap? I mean I keep hearing about how the lore of the world is sooooo well written but to me it has to be among the blandest and least imaginative medieval fantasy world I have ever seen? I mean it is pretty clear from Origins had no identity of it's own and just borrowed bits and pieces from other fantasy universes while sucking any life and colour from them.

Oh yay woo, CGI trailer with no substantive information, omega hype gaiz! Is that all Bioware put out these days? CGI teaser trailers that say little more than "I know our most recent games were crap but we are still working on a new game in that series you like!". I mean sorry Bioware but it does not work like that, you have not put out a good game since Mass Effect 2, unless you can show us something that indicates your next game isn't going to be complete garbage I am not interested, you can put out all the teaser trailers with characters that we recognize from games we may have once had some sort of fondness for but it really does not mean anything, gone are the days where you could coast on name recognition alone, show us something with substance or don't even bother.

Also is it just me or is the Dragon Age universe kind of crap? I mean I keep hearing about how the lore of the world is sooooo well written but to me it has to be among the blandest and least imaginative medieval fantasy world I have ever seen? I mean it is pretty clear from Origins had no identity of it's own and just borrowed bits and pieces from other fantasy universes while sucking any life and colour from them.
I kinda feel the same way. I was a big fan of the original Mass Effect trilogy, but never played Andromeda because it did not appeal to me at all. I feel like this would put me at a disadvantage if I played ME5. And this teaser trailer does nothing to influence my decision.

DC9V

Forum veteran
LOL !!

The only way that they will ever change my mind about the ME3 ending is to completely remove it, and replace it with something slightly less idiotically appalling, like MEHEM, or something like that.

However, I do have the legendary edition preloaded on my computer, waiting for tomorrow. I can just skip the ending if necessary, so I only need to be able to do three things, and I hope that I can, either initially, or by the time I get there in the games. In order of importance:
  1. Set "bShieldsBlockPowers" to false. I've never accepted that ME2 / ME3 retcon, and never will.
  2. Be able to edit the stats on some of the weapons, to balance them the way that "I" think they should be balanced, according to the lore.
  3. Be able to play the game without any Kai Leng cut scenes, and be able to edit him so that he does exactly 1 point of damage, like the complete clown of an addition that he is to the game.

Mass effect 5 sounds hype worthy to me. Me3. After playing three consecutive games with the same character. After 3 gamea of Commander Shepard risking his life and trying to warn everyone about the looming threat leaves me with nothing but a a strong feeling of disdain towards the council. I partially blame the council for Shepard's fate even though there probably wasn't much they could do to stop the reapers. I guess I forgive them a little...

It's a bummer seeing how many people hated andromeda... reading some of these comments is downright depressing... I had a ton of fun playing andromeda. I never really put much thought to the story... it was kinda neat concept. I don't think fleeing to andromeda was an effective way to avoid the reapers... They did flee to andronicus because the reapers right? I could be wrong... you'd think the reapers could go to andromeda when they are done with the milky way galaxy if that's the case...

It was still a fun game. I didn't regret buying it. I thought character creation coulda been better but my overall experience was good. The glitches/bugs weren't cool but didn't ruin the experience.

I don't care if part 5 is in the milky way or andromeda. One thing I'd love though is closure... I want to see a nice happy end for andromeda. The game ends with a cliff hanger. I need to know what happens next and I want a relatively happy ending. As much as I hate seeing protagonists die, I'd rather the protagonist die a hero that saved the galaxy over no ending.

DC9V

Forum veteran
milky way or andromeda.

Andromeda Galaxy.jpg
Andromeda Galaxy Close up.jpg

Source: NASA

Last edited:
Me too !
(Installed on mys XBSX and ready to replay it after finishing the Legendary Edition)
Whatever the comments, like others games ;)
I definitely got my money's worth from Andromeda. I think the negative reaction was partly due to some seemingly important story lines being unfinished, and partly due to the impossibility of any new character or set of characters filling the giant shoes of Commander Shepard.

Whoever was not able to fathom what the problem with the ME3 ending was won't be able to understand it now. If you like it, enjoy it!

I definitely got my money's worth from Andromeda. I think the negative reaction was partly due to some seemingly important story lines being unfinished, and partly due to the impossibility of any new character or set of characters filling the giant shoes of Commander Shepard.
It's a decent game, the main problem for me is that the cast isn't strong enough compared to the trilogy.
I liked Ryder but the squadmates are a bit bland, and the Kett feel like discount collectors ("We will kidnap and modify you for reasons your primitive brain could never understand", again). Very few glimpses into their culture or the archon's personality.

Focusing on the political conflict between (and within) the colonists, the Angaran and the Kett could have been interesting, Kadara did it and it was the best part of the game.

Last edited:
I find it worrying how people are celebrating a remaster of a game that has one of the most criticised and controversial endings in gaming history. There is a reason why EA pulled out all the talent and support for Mass Effect Andromeda, leaving a skeletal and unexperienced team on their own.

Top Bottom