Mass Effect 5

+
But fortunately, mods fixed all of that before Bethesda ever tried, and they fixed it better than Bethesda ever did
Joking mode "on" : That's for sure, it's "easy" for mods to fix something which was not fixed by Bethesda in Mass Effect (a Bioware game) :rolleyes:
And I hated the Star Child -- did I already say that? Not only was it not necessary, whichever voice actor they used for the Star Child was so bad that he would have fit well as the child star of Star Wars episode 1.
The fact that the AI (the catalyst) chose the kid that Shepard saw dying at the very beginning and who haunts all his nights (nightmares) ever since seem to be a problem... (but that just "visual", like the Leviathan, they "chose" someone in Shepard mind).
--------------------​
Anyway, I think that we're done with reapers now, if they "appear" in the next Mass Effect, it would be just as a backstory (or just in the codex^^).
Even we're done with almost everything :
Geths/Quarians done, Genophage done, Rachnis done,...
If I should to imagine, knowing that plenty of mass relaies still inactive and point out to "unknow and unexplored" locations, it could go to exploration of new worlds/spaces in the galaxy in "Star Trek way", with a lot of "good things" (obviously a lot of "(very) bad things" too) to discover.

"Space: the final frontier. The mission: to pass through new mass relaies to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no council species has gone before"
Normandy.jpg

Last edited:
The problem lies in the fact that each ending reinforces the Catalyst's message of organics and synthetics not being able to coexist. And this wasn't the message of Mass Effect series. Time and time again we were shown that cooperation, unity (not uniformity), forgiving past grievances, respecting different opinions and perspectives is the way forward. We were shown the value of diversity and the ending negates that.
Was this message a bit naïve and too idealistic? Maybe, but one shouldn't wait for the very last scene of the entire trilogy to amend this.
The interesting thing for me here is, I got the impression that the catalyst didn't properly understand the "organic" concept of ascending beyond programming, as in: the ability to learn/achieve a lasting peace between organics and synthetics. And thus it would not consider this as an alternative to the duality of: they will destroy each other eventually.

I get the impression you took whatever the catalyst said as the "and this is what will happen scenario" (not saying this is wrong though) and I found myself more on the side of "the catalyst cant see past that directive"
The catalyst to me, seemed very much like the Architect of the matrix movies. And in that respect I took the message as, I have to choose between 2 (or 3) options, neither one of them being the full potential of what could happen to a cycle, but merely the options as per view from whats essentially also just an AI who got stuck in its ways to try and solve an equation thats incomplete... Or otherwise, dismissed certain variables that would have another outcome alltogehter.

If you want I can elaborate further later.

Not sure if you have seen the new trailer for the next Mass Effect game but it's implied that Liara is looking for Shepard's body. In the BioWare store, before being taken down, there was a description that Commander Shepard has returned for the next game.
I respond here, more in the topic ;)
So all what I saw, it's liara who find a piece of armor with N7 on it. Nothing more (but I don't follow too much, everything can change until an a hypothetical release.
And if it's the case and they chose the destroy ending as canon, I will be (very) mad... The story will have to be more than great to make me forget that my previous choices were totally useless (and they decided to put them to the trash...). Like the peace between Quarians and Geths, built with a lot of efforts during two episodes, was totally useless since the latter were destroyed by the pulse.
And maybe way more annoying, one of my favorite character in the whole trilogy, EDI also died at the end... :mad:

So all what I saw, it's liara who find a piece of armor with N7 on it. Nothing more (but I don't follow too much, everything can change until an a hypothetical release.
And if it's the case and they chose the destroy ending as canon, I will be (very) mad... The story will have to be more than great to make me forget that my previous choices were totally useless (and they decided to put them to the trash...). Like the peace between Quarians and Geths, built with a lot of efforts during two episodes, was totally useless since the latter were destroyed by the pulse.
And maybe way more annoying, one of my favorite character in the whole trilogy, EDI also died at the end... :mad:
Tbh Shepard dies in Me2 intro too but returns. Shepard is special in every way in the ME universe so she(allways for me) will be able too return ;)

And the secret "breath" scene when you have high enough war assets kinda for shadows that Shepard survive the Destroy ending for some.

Tbh Shepard dies in Me2 intro too but returns. Shepard is special in every way in the ME universe so she(allways for me) will be able too return ;)
Yeah, Shepard is.
But my "griefs" won't be about Shepard (to say the truth, I don't care^^), but more with the fact that geths, EDI and all synthetics are "destroyed" too in the destroy ending.
(And in synthesis and control, well... In view of the cinematic, shepard can't return I think^^)

Yeah, Shepard is.
But my "griefs" won't be about Shepard (to say the truth, I don't care^^), but more with the fact that geths, EDI and all synthetics are "destroyed" too in the destroy ending.
(And in synthesis and control, well... In view of the cinematic, shepard can't return I think^^)
Yea they will have too redo some things too make it possible. I think they will bring Shepard back tho since Andromeda got so much flak. Might not be playable shepard but im guessing atleast she will be around in some sort of way. Andromedas issue wasent really the lack of shepard tho so it will be interesting too se how ME4 will do it ^^

Andromedas issue wasent really the lack of shepard tho so it will be interesting too se how ME4 will do it ^^
That's why I relativize and manage my expectations anyway. It's subjective obviously, but for me the trilogy put the bar so high that making something even better seem a difficult task, maybe too difficult :D

That's why I relativize and manage my expectations anyway. It's subjective obviously, but for me the trilogy put the bar so high that making something even better seem a difficult task, maybe too difficult :D
I would be happy with Andromedas combat/builds/crafting exploring but with the triology and older games story/world. Combining the two would probably make it better since the biggest drawback ive noticed now when playing ME legendary is combat sadly enough ^^ Im allways stupid going for insanity difficulty and stuff tho -.-

That's why I said it's implied that she's looking for Shepard. Also the BioWare store had something they were selling that mentions Commander Shepard being back for the next Mass Effect. They took it down but it's the internet so people caught wind of it. If that is the case and Shepard is back, the only ending that makes sense is the Destroy ending. I believe that a developer at BioWare also confirmed that scene of Shepard taking a breath is in fact real. So, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't use it. Plus Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale have both given subtle hints that that they may be doing some secret recording and we know they're Commander Shepard.

That's why I said it's implied that she's looking for Shepard. Also the BioWare store had something they were selling that mentions Commander Shepard being back for the next Mass Effect. They took it down but it's the internet so people caught wind of it. If that is the case and Shepard is back, the only ending that makes sense is the Destroy ending. I believe that a developer at BioWare also confirmed that scene of Shepard taking a breath is in fact real. So, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't use it. Plus Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale have both given subtle hints that that they may be doing some secret recording and we know they're Commander Shepard.
Maybe destroy ending make sense for the return of Shepard (which I don't care if he/she's back^^), but I will never consider Destroy ending as a good ending by any way... For me, it's even a really bad ending (and maybe I'm not alone, I hope^^).
And I'll be mad anyway, because it mean that they will throw my previous choices on trash and decide that EDI have to die, something that I can't agree :cry:
"We will remember those who made it possible. And we will remember Shepard... Because of him, I'm alive dead and I'm not alone"

Last edited:
Maybe destroy ending make sense for the return of Shepard (which I don't care if he/she's back^^), but I will never consider Destroy ending as a good ending by any way... For me, it's even a really bad ending (and maybe I'm not alone, I hope^^).
And I'll be mad anyway, because it mean that they will throw my previous choices on trash and decide that EDI have to die, something that I can't agree :cry:
"We will remember those who made it possible. And we will remember Shepard... Because of him, I'm alive dead and I'm not alone"
The thing is that the Destroy ending seems to be the canon ending and this is subtly confirmed by the director when asked about the dead the reaper in the trailer. Someone asked him to confirmed if what we saw is true since that happens in the destroy ending. He said that what we saw IS what we saw. He's neither confirming or denying but a lot of players are taking that as a yes.

The thing is that the Destroy ending seems to be the canon ending and this is subtly confirmed by the director when asked about the dead the reaper in the trailer. Someone asked him to confirmed if what we saw is true since that happens in the destroy ending. He said that what we saw IS what we saw. He's neither confirming or denying but a lot of players are taking that as a yes.
I will take it with precaution, because whatever the ending, we can see reapers (Sovereign class) be destroyed by the fleet during the battle for the earth. And even in ME2, you go retrieve the module on an "old" dead reaper.
So seing a "dead" reaper could lead to any ending :)

I will take it with precaution, because whatever the ending, we can see reapers (Sovereign class) be destroyed by the fleet during the battle for the earth. And even in ME2, you go retrieve the module on an "old" dead reaper.
So seing a "dead" reaper could lead to any ending :)
Umm, you completely ignored what I said. It has been unofficially confirmed by BioWare that Shepard will be back and that the Destroy ending is canon through the BioWare store and then it was taken down. Also, the dead reaper in the trailer is from Mass Effect 3 and it has been confirmed that the next mass Effect is a direct continuation from Mass Effect 3. This was also said by someone at BioWare in 2012 from GameRant:

"You may notice that in the “Shepard lives” ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together."

Umm, you completely ignored what I said. It has been unofficially confirmed by BioWare that Shepard will be back and that the Destroy ending is canon through the BioWare store and then it was taken down. Also, the dead reaper in the trailer is from Mass Effect 3 and it has been confirmed that the next mass Effect is a direct continuation from Mass Effect 3. This was also said by someone at BioWare in 2012 from GameRant:

"You may notice that in the “Shepard lives” ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together."
Do you have a link where Bioware confirmed Shepard's return? I know that they teased something about N7 in a trailer. But the closest thing I know of to an official statement from the company is that the reference to Shepard on the store page was an error made by people not familiar with the game. That doesn't technically rule out Shepard's return, but it's a long way from an unofficial confirmation that Shepard will be in the game.

Also, if Bioware decides to go with the "destroy" ending, and if Shepard does make a return, then they have the mother of all retcons to do. No, that's not right. They already did the mother of all retcons with the way powers work and making weapons need heat sinks. But it would be the next biggest thing. In the destroy ending, all Reaper tech was destroyed. Shepard was rebuilt using reaper tech.

Last edited:
Do you have a link where Bioware confirmed Shepard's return? I know that they teased something about N7 in a trailer. But the closest thing I know of to an official statement from the company is that the reference to Shepard on the store page was an error made by people not familiar with the game. That doesn't technically rule out Shepard's return, but it's a long way from an unofficial confirmation that Shepard will be in the game.

Also, if Bioware decides to go with the "destroy" ending, and if Shepard does make a return, then they have the mother of all retcons to do. No, that's not right. They already did the mother of all retcons with the way powers work and making weapons need heat sinks. But it would be the next biggest thing. In the destroy ending, all Reaper tech was destroyed. Shepard was rebuilt using reaper tech.
They used reaper tech? i was under the impression that they used cybernetic implants and so on but it was not reaper tech. Where did you find info on that?

Im kinda of the thought that Shepard will return in some way or another(since they pretty much teases it). Was always really interested in the N7 program and so on so would be cool if your a new character and Shepard teaches at some academy or something you go too. Would be enough for me i dont demand another game with Shepard as the protagonist ^^ The destroy ending destroys all AI, so robotics and so on too im guessing. They could bring Shepard back in some other way tho since they already have hade a clone and VI. Just hope the story and execution will be better then andromeda witch was pretty meh in comparision... The faces was so plastic and non animated it was creepy ^^

They used reaper tech? i was under the impression that they used cybernetic implants and so on but it was not reaper tech. Where did you find info on that?

Im kinda of the thought that Shepard will return in some way or another(since they pretty much teases it). Was always really interested in the N7 program and so on so would be cool if your a new character and Shepard teaches at some academy or something you go too. Would be enough for me i dont demand another game with Shepard as the protagonist ^^ The destroy ending destroys all AI, so robotics and so on too im guessing. They could bring Shepard back in some other way tho since they already have hade a clone and VI. Just hope the story and execution will be better then andromeda witch was pretty meh in comparision... The faces was so plastic and non animated it was creepy ^^
I think so (?). Seems like I remember mention in ME3 that the cybernetic implants used on Shepard in ME2 were based partially on reaper tech. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I just did a quick search, and couldn't find a definitive answer. There seem to be a lot of assumptions that it was reaper tech, with a lot of responses emphatically denying it. So, not I'm not sure. I might have been wrong.

I think so (?). Seems like I remember mention in ME3 that the cybernetic implants used on Shepard in ME2 were based partially on reaper tech. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I just did a quick search, and couldn't find a definitive answer. There seem to be a lot of assumptions that it was reaper tech, with a lot of responses emphatically denying it. So, not I'm not sure. I might have been wrong.
Pretty sure it wasn't a Reaper tech, from what I remember, it's just "cybernetic implants" used by Cerberus (the best ones, but Cerberus don't really have access to "Reaper" tech at this time) :)
But I'm sure, according to the catalyst, Shepard is "alive" due to his cybernetic implants (so she's partially synthetic) :
"Reapers will be destroyed and the war will end ?"
"Yes, but it will fire without any distinction, all the synthetics will be destroyed too. Can't you even imagine living without synthetics ? You are partially synthetic, aren't you ?"

In the destroy ending, all the technology, whatever the one is "destroyed", so Shepard can no longer survive. In theory obviously, because Shepard transcend humanity and death, and she could survive^^
But it doesn't change that if Bioware choose the destroy ending as canon, it really suck :D

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it a retcon if they choose the Destroy ending and bring back Shepard since it's already hinted in the secret ending that he may be alive and and the end of the game there are two people speaking. A man and a child and when child asks to know more about Commander Shepard, the man responds with "Okay, one more story." Also Mark Meer (voice actor for Male Shepard) posted an image on Instagram after the whole store debacle, with the image saying "We're not the "retiring" kind". Bringing back the character that made the franchise isn't a new thing nor do the fans discourage it. They did it with Halo and they did it with God of War. Master Chief and Kratos story was pretty much done but what the majority of fans want, they get. This might be the case with Shepard, and of course companies will lie because they want to keep a surprise. This can also be the case with Johnny Silverhand. He's a fan favorite and CDPR knows this.

Whenever there is a character that is a huge fan favorite among players, 9/10 times that character will most likely come back. Why? Cause money talks.

As someone who follows BioWare development pretty closely, @LadyAvyna you are playing fast and loose with things that actually happened and your own personal desires/headcanon. You cannot make the assumptions you have made about what X or Y said, because you literally cannot support them. Nobody has said half of the things you've said they have. Your entire post history in this thread is based on assumptions you've made, not anything that can actually be supported by what has been released. Sure, Hale and Meer want to do more, they like getting paid. Same for Taylorson and what's her name... Actors like fans, especially with how "important" social media is these days.

Take a deep breath. Shepard could come back, but that is far from a done deal or anything anyone has any confirmation of. Period.

I never cared much about ME to begin with, not my kind of story (Dead Space was more my type of Sci-Fi), and Andromeda sealed that lack of interest in further Bio games, what can I say :shrug:

Top Bottom