Mass Effect 5

+
Whenever there is a character that is a huge fan favorite among players, 9/10 times that character will most likely come back. Why? Cause money talks.
After the issues with Andromeda, it wouldn't surprise me if BW is looking for a way to bring back their greatest hero. Shepard saves the galaxy, and then Shepard saves Bioware.

In a way I kinda don't want Shepard to come back. The man had a hell of a story. Three games with some really interesting DLCs. I'm right there with y'all. Commander Shepard is great. If they do bring Shepard back, it better be a really cool way. Seeing a Shepard with synthetic features like Saren would be epic. Like, even if you think this idea is stupid, the concept art could be badass.

But I digress... Hypothetically. If Shepard is alive, I say let him live a civilian life with his romance option(should they be alive too).

If Shepard is dead, let him stay dead. Inspire a new hero to spread chaos or peace across the galaxy. Andromeda is not the beloved game I wish it was. They probably won't make the game about that. I would love to see their story continue. Even if its purely in book form. I loved andromeda. Not a single bad companion IMO. Dislikable traits. Yes, but some of us got friends with dislikable traits. They aren't bad people. Just flawed. I like that about the andromeda companions but I digress again.

I would LOVE to play as a badass headbutting shotgun blasting krogan biting some dude's head off. An asari biotic ripping a path through the galaxy. Asari have a very unique perspective since they live for a thousand years. Krogan too, but they focus more on hitting things(not a bad thing). A turian going in with superior firepower and well placed strategies to control the battlefield. A salarian operative sneaking and sabotaging their enemy. Weakening them from the inside. Why fill someone with bullets when you can ruin their reputation or watch as a ship malfunction tears it in half?

I doubt we'd get all these options and a fully fleshed out game, but a non-human protagonist would be cool for a change is what I'm trying to say.

Edit: autocorrect ruins everything

Last edited:
In a way I kinda don't want Shepard to come back. The man had a hell of a story. Three games with some really interesting DLCs. I'm right there with y'all. Commander Shepard is great. If they do bring Shepard back, it better be a really cool way. Seeing a Shepard with synthetic features like Saren would be epic. Like, even if you think this idea is stupid, the concept art could be badass.

But I digress... Hypothetically. If Shepard is alive, I say let him live a civilian life with his romance option(should they be alive too).

If Shepard is dead, let him stay dead. Inspire a new hero to spread chaos or peace across the galaxy. Andromeda is not the beloved game I wish it was. They probably won't make the game about that. I would love to see their story continue. Even if its purely in book form. I loved andromeda. Not a single bad companion IMO. Dislikable traits. Yes, but some of us got friends with dislikable traits. They aren't bad people. Just flawed. I like that about the andromeda companions but I digress again.

I would LOVE to play as a badass headbutting shotgun blasting krogan biting some dude's head off. An asari biotic ripping a path through the galaxy. Asari have a very unique perspective since they live for a thousand years. Krogan too, but they focus more on hitting things(not a bad thing). A turian going in with superior firepower and well placed strategies to control the battlefield. A salarian operative sneaking and sabotaging their enemy. Weakening them from the inside. Why fill someone with bullets when you can ruin their reputation or watch as a ship malfunction tears it in half?

I doubt we'd get all these options and a fully fleshed out game, but a non-human protagonist would be cool for a change is what I'm trying to say.

Edit: autocorrect ruins everything
The notion of Shepard coming back is interesting on a number of dimensions. Psychologically speaking, Shepard the Hero is likely to become viewed as Shepard the Terrible pretty quickly, as the galaxy tries to put itself back together and make sense of what's happened to it. Ender's Game dealt with this very well, I think (the book, not the movie). The Batarian incident is just a taste.

:confused: Unacceptable glitches, what the F??? Seriously, Bioware ceased to be after ME2

A friendly reminder: There's really no point in getting in a heated discussion regarding what may or may not happen in the upcoming Mass Effect game. I'm curious too what will happen, but as long as there Is nothing official we can only speculate. So please stay friendly and respectful.

I think the main question is not whether there will be Shepard or not. It is what they are going to fight against. If they launch a new series, there has to be a main conflict to dictate the plot, an epic theme. An ancient AI gardening the galaxy - that is done. A necrophage style life-form taking over species and the theme of investigating an ancient civilization that seemingly fought it and lost - they burned that in Andromeda. They need a new grand epic theme, and it's not an easy task to choose one.

The notion of Shepard coming back is interesting on a number of dimensions. Psychologically speaking, Shepard the Hero is likely to become viewed as Shepard the Terrible pretty quickly, as the galaxy tries to put itself back together and make sense of what's happened to it. Ender's Game dealt with this very well, I think (the book, not the movie).
Funnily enough, thanks to the legendary edition which includes all the DLCs, I've taken to playing the trilogy again. Managed to save everyone in the suicide mission in Me2. The DLCs are cool.

The Batarian incident is just a taste.
Butcher of Torfan/renegade Shepard: Which batarian incident...?

Currently replaying the series again. Just finished ME1 with Sheppie and yesterday kicked off ME2 intro mission.
While I dont have nor played Andromeda, I did watch a great deal of it through MATN and I have to say that overal that game looked sufficiently enjoyable to play. Admittingly I didn't really follow the story very attentively (and MATN never finished it publicly, so I still have no idea of what the climax is about. but gameplay-wise and mechanics-wise it actually looked fairly fun. (and yes, I'm aware of edited videos)
The characters, especially Peebee and Drack (whoever the Krogan was) seemed cool and it wás nice seeing familair presence in the game. And judging by setting its understandable there's no Quarians so those new purple aliens seemed like a logical replacement.
The one thing I noticed is that Bioware became really lazy with names and stuff.
Kett/Geth The collector conversion plot... much rehashed or otherwise similar sounding tools there. Forgivable... but one can't help but notice.

Take a look on new ME trailer once again. So what we have:

• Game will continue after ME3 but not quite clear right after or after hundreds of years. May be connected somehow with ME Andromeda
  • Mass relays are destroyed. No way you can freely travel around universe as before as in good old "before-reapers" times
  • Very likely red ending takes as a main ending
  • Liara is alive, some old comrades probably too
  • Shepard probably is alive (lets remember last brief in the ME3 ending)

Some of my thoughts what we might see in the game:

• We can be in a search squad who should confirm / disprove that Shepard is alive or not (under "alive" I mean not necessary as organic but may be as a same synthtic form, etc)
  • In this squad will be included some of old companiones who knew Shepard personally + few new persons
  • We may play as a Liara / Garrus / Thali / somebody else from the team if they are alive (I hope they will left some memory of Shepard or make his as a unplayeable NPC, lets pay respect for the Galaxy greatest hero, right?)
  • It will be a local story is Milky way since it is highlighted pretty clear in the trailer
One interesting thing - since we need new epic enemy, here we can remember that Reapers were built by Leviathans so since currently Reapers are dead, their creators will step forward as a new Universe leaders.

Leviathans are pretty powerful as we understood so on us will be a decision to take their side and fight against them.

P/S. Would be cool if I actually hit somewhere, it is definitely not the worstest plot idea)

I'm also playing the series. I made three characters.

- Dolan Shepard, male, colonists, sole survivor, vanguard, paragon 65%/renegade 35%. Good guy. Only makes renegade choices as a last resort.

- Donna Shepard, female, spacer, war hero, engineer. Goody two-shoes. 100% paragon. Perfectionist.

- Dohn Shepard, male, earthborn, ruthless, infiltrator, cold calculated. 25% paragon/75% renegade. 'The ends justify the means'. Despite his renegade nature, he still has high morals and won't make greedy/selfish decisions. He genuinely believes his decisions to be for the greater good.

As far as mass effect 5 is concerned, they should explore dark energy more and how it serves to held the next big antagonist and possibly Shepard in defeating the next bbeg. It would be cool if dark energy was made more important.

As much as I enjoyed Shepard in the Mass Effect trilogy, I would prefer to play as a new protagonist in the upcoming Mass Effect game. Having Shepard return as the protagonist just seems like it would be limiting. People would want most of the past companions and love interests to return if Shepard came back, whereas starting with a new protagonist allows the developers to start with something fresh, with the focus primarily on new companions/love interests.

I know people will want to tie some of Andromeda's failings due to a new protagonist, but I would argue that it was other issues as to why that game wasn't well-received. Bear in mind that I played that game and enjoyed it, despite its flaws.

Also, I want to play a mass effect game where the protagonist doesn't have to be a human.

Most of all, I feel like if my Shepard survived ME3, I would want them to retire and live out the rest of their life in peace.

However, what would be cool is if Shepard's child (or descendant, depending on how much time has passed) was one of the companions. That way, you could continue the legacy of Shepard in the game without having Shepard in it.

Not interested, but then I am also strictly against canonizing endings because it makes replaying the old games pointless (I always chose Paragon Control, since I refuse to kill EDI or the Geth after finally giving them justice and acceptance).

So if ME5 cannot account for all possible ME3 endings then I am just not interested. Ad to that of course that every single game I have bought from them after DA:O has been a disappointment...

As for Andromeda, the concept just wasn't interesting to me so I never bought it.

Not interested, but then I am also strictly against canonizing endings ...
I agree about the canonized endings. Bioware was trying to avoid doing that, which I think is why the follow-up game was set in Andromeda. I assume that the N7 uniform means that they're abandoning that principle, and choosing some canon ending for the original series. Unless they also abandon the scene at the end of the series with Buzz Aldrin voicing the grandfather, then presumably this is set very far into the future from the original series, because we were just at that point starting to return to the stars in that scene.

As far as I understood for now from small pieces of available info - Liara will be look for missing Shepard after ending of ME3.

IMAO, would be cool to play as a new character with some references to Shepard actions from original trilogy depending on your own gameplay, that mean game should ask for your previous savings.

This would highlight your achievements, probably, without serious impact on gameplay and main plot but to keep on background that your personal story from trilogy not just turn to dust.

One question - how to integrate so different endings... or Bioware can chooses red one. In fact, Shepard is alive in ME3 if your level of preparation high.

May be will be connection with Andromeda as well - since travel took around 600 years to Andromeda and Liara is OK to live for so long time than settlers returned back for example while in Milky Way reapers were defeated.

Anyway, will be hard to keep epic level of the story as in original trilogy... But I'm OK just to be nobody like adventures seeker in destroyed world lol

Top Bottom