Mass Effect: Andromeda

+
Mass Effect: Andromeda

We all know that a new Mass Effect game is inevitable. There are already rumours that it's gonna be announced at the EA conference. It's apparently halfway done and Yanick Roy, the studio director for Bioware Montreal [developer of the new ME] will be visiting E3 for the first time in 8 years.

It's been over 2 years since the last game in series... makes sense to announce it, perhaps with a short trailer like it was done with ME3, to build up the hype. New protagonist, new worlds, new species - it's a rich universe. Just hoping it's not a prequel.

Any thoughts? Excited or just not interested after the last Mass Effect ?

I'll wait and see how the new DA:I turns out, then I'll know how I feel about a new ME. Right now, it doesn't really excite me.

I want to have a glimmer of hope but then I remind myself they probably still have the same writers on staff. Mass Effect was my re-entry into gaming and the way it ended hit me especially hard.

I'm not excited. Even a bit worried. I have this prejudice against revisiting franchises with a different storyline when they're so heavily associated with a specific one. It's a similar concern I have for The Witcher, though not as reassured.

Couldn't care less. Might be a piece of shit for all we know and people are still going to buy it.

I agree with Reptile. Let's see what Bioware can do to rescue Dragon Age. Then we'll know if this is a lost cause.

The rumoured title is Mass Effect Contact. (maybe referring to first contact war?)

I am not holding my breath to get shafted by another greenhorn feeling game, the only people I trust are reds, the last game left me feeling blue.
Now then, since that is out of the way I sure do hope they don't butcher it, they have their hands on a pretty sweet universe, still, not gonna keep any hopes for this one unless and hope to be surprised.

In any case, I'll buy it for the multiplayer.

I don't like the fact they're making another Mass Effect storywise. Mass Effect was made to be a trilogy and nothing more.
If it's a sequel, I'll be pissed a little, because they can't take into account the choice you had in ME3. It would mean 3 complete different "world state" from the start (even four).
If they manage to make something else than "saving the universe" again, I will be more interested. Maybe some kind of investigation in space, I liked a lot the premises of ME1 for that...

And I'll say it again: BioWare needs to make a new IP. It could demonstrate if they have something left in their brains or not.

http://www.scubtrovers.com.br/novo-mass-effect-origins-trilogia

Someone at Gamestop's said this is a whole new trilogy, a prequel to the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they took the franchise into bold new directions like make it like Wing Commander OR X-Com.

EDIT: Or both. Man, that would be something.

Last edited:
DA:I and the new ME are made by different studios if I'm not mistaken.

Some different people work on them, there are also some that work on both. Either way, the two franchises have been very, very similar - while it may be mostly different teams, it's still the same company, so the same development philosophies apply.

I wish they took the franchise into bold new directions like make it like Wing Commander OR X-Com.

EDIT: Or both. Man, that would be something.

Nope. It's gonna be about teh characters and romance. Because that's what makes Bioware special. Seriously though, I totally agree. Either do a genre chnage with the IP, or create a new IP altogether. And do some house cleaning; why are Casey Hudson and Laidlaw still the creative directors? They've proven their incompetence time and again.

Frankly, I just don't know where can they take the franchise next. I mean, what else is there to do? We've saved the universe from giant machines hellbent on destroying all advanced life. They can't possibly top that and they have to know that - no matter what comes next, it's gonna have a smaller scale.

Frankly, I just don't know where can they take the franchise next. I mean, what else is there to do? We've saved the universe from giant machines hellbent on destroying all advanced life. They can't possibly top that and they have to know that - no matter what comes next, it's gonna have a smaller scale.

It's a good thing actually. I don't want to save the galaxy again. It was alright for the first time but now it's just lame.

Mass Effect 1 was allright, 2 went into retard land in the first ten minutes and three I didn't bother with because it was the EA spyware version, and I wasn't going to trust the company after the abortion that was DA2. They'd have to majorly prove themselves capable of producing a coherent product, let alone a good one, before I partook of them again. As it is I reckon it'll just be childish fanservice, insulting depictions of characters and squeeing fodder for their fans, without any sense of rhyme or reason.

It's a good thing actually. I don't want to save the galaxy again. It was alright for the first time but now it's just lame.

Yes, I totally agree which is why I hope it will be during the First Contact war. When any kind of villain has so much power, he becomes less interesting as a villain. You only need to take a look at the Lich King for that, Blizz had no idea what to do with in in WOTLK and it was the same with the Reapers.

The First Contact war would be a much more human conflict that doesn't have to be "save the Galaxy". That is why I loved ME2 so much, it was more about the people than the reapers. I believe ME2 is when BioWare realized the Reapers were a mistake.

XCom + Wing Commander + Mass Effect. Man, that would be a dream come true. I think the future of great games is hybrids. I would really like to play something like Wing Commander again.

If it's about the First Contact War I won't buy it. The entire conflict was only two/three space battles with Turians and then a bunch of political drama. Sounds pretty damn boring and not nearly enough plot to make a whole game out of.

Maybe if they made an alternate history/universe thing? with no reapers this time?

Eh. BioWare painted themselves into a corner with the shit ending to the series (god I've never felt more distraught over a video game ending), so they can't go many places with a sequel unless they publicly recognize how awful the ending was, which they seem hell-bent on even admitting there was a problem at all. And DA was so disappointing for me that I could care less about DA:I. I think it's time they made a new IP.

How about a mix of medieval fantasy with futuristic fiction, aka "sci" fi? They could have spaceships and giant space stations, princesses, rogues, soldiers, and even a secret organization of spiritual monk-warriors who have mastered the use of a primeval energy latent in nature and human beings. Maybe there could be an equally strong opposing force wreaking chaos and destruction through a methodic strategy involving control, politics, and even recruiting. Maybe this evil force might be an archetypal empire, and would meet a moderate resistance from the free towns that little by little would cause its downfall.

Am I dreaming or this might already exist?? Anyway, I'm sure if Bioware wrote it it would be awesome.

:p

Top Bottom