Mass Effect: Andromeda

+
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1309671 Some details from gameinformer.

-Around 2185, at the height of galactic progress, unaware of the impending Reaper invasion, several species band together for the "Andromeda Initiative"
-Less emphasis on linear, clearly telegraphed environments that tell you a combat encounter is coming (though linear areas are still in the game)
-Game Informer's hands on was positive, feel the game has a clearer identity in combat than previous games
-Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics
-No more Paragon/Renegade system
-They want more nuance and subtlety and giving the player more opportunity to express themselves
-You can agree or disagree with someone without being punished or cornered into a paragon or renegade choice

-The 'Kett' are the main enemy
-The team wanted players to experience the first time encountering a new alien species vs already having it established in prior games
-Rather than painting them as mortal enemies, BioWare wanted to make them feel foreboding but not ugly as they want you to also empathize with them
-Instead of having "linear slices" of planets that you land on, you explore these planets from the surface to their underbelly
-Critical paths, optional planets, major hubs, loyalty missions return
-BioWare did not want to repeat having things like mineral nodes and multiple identical outposts scattered across planets
-Points of interest include combat encounters, puzzles, narrative beats etc on planets

-One planet, called 'Elaaden', is flagged as a possible habitat zone, however the surface is hazardous (no water, extremely hot); you can be pointed in this direction in multiple ways, for example, a Krogan can request the Pathfinder to find a missing colony ship or you can just choose to land on the planet yourself and see what you find
-The squadmate with the least amount of lines in Andromeda has more lines than the squadmate with the most amount of lines in ME3
-Emphasis that relationships don't just culminate in a sex scene, but rather characters can just want to get in the sack, while others are interested in long term relationships and others still aren't interested at all. Bioware wanted to capture more "shooting bottles with Garrus" moments in the game, of which there are plenty

Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Still have to keep my skepticism intact no matter what they say. We've been through the false promises with them before. The trailer was cool though. It's interesting to note how young male Ryder is, barely in his twenties by the look of it. I like the VOs so far as well.

While the trailer wasn't overly hype-inducing (though the giant metallic looking monster looked amazing) from what has been said by gameinformer I really can't wait!

I know DA:I gets a bad rep but despite its flaws I really enjoyed that game, so hopefully BioWare have taken the good stuff from that game and combined it with the lessons they learnt from it (aka the stuff they should not do).

The only thing that concerns me a bit is these two things:
"Class system is gone; instead you have full access to abilities from all classes, you can mix and match skills from tech, soldier or biotics"

This is a shame, imo, I liked that the classes were good at individual things, especially in ME1 where you had to pick your squad carefully or you wouldn't be able to do certain things.

-They want more nuance and subtlety and giving the player more opportunity to express themselves

They said this about DA:I too and it resulted in the Inquisitor feeling as though they didn't have any personality....

OK, the info from Game Informer makes me cautiously optimistic, especially them completely dropping morality meter and introducing more diverse dialogue choices. While some of the unofficial leaks makes me worry about the overall quality of the story, it really seems like a huge improvement over ME3.

unfortunately I didn't feel/see anything special watching this trailer. Still gonna try the game though - I invested too many hours in this universe to ignore it completely. Just hope that after so many criticism over EA policy, this time we won't get any "want too meet a crucial character? - buy DLC"

Reposted from NeoGAF

[FONT=&quot]"Game informer impressions, first hour spoilers[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Surprised how much it looked and felt like Mass Effect despite all the changes like no classes, no paragon/renegade, more open world angle. Developed by 3 studios, ie helped by 2. They saw the first hour of the game, early state. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reminded of first ME your on a ship with humans going down to a planet, ie not a large group of aliens together at the start as per ME1. Easy setting for people that haven't played the prior trilogy, eases people into the world.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Strong sense of ME1, new beginning, new vehicle nomad (vs mako) skill progression reminds of ME1 in being more complex with a broad spectrum of abilities to choose from all classes, in game respec due to the Arc having examplar pathfinder (that role has special abilities to reconfigure their skillset)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Twins default sarah and scott ryder can choose how both twins and the father look, storyline of twin becomes important later in the game, and can interact and converse with twin, and a ryder family mystery part of the plot[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"oh this is dragon inquisition" comment after walking out of the bioware office, due to top level philosophical level approach with open world gameplay elements, more places to explore, more optional content, squad loyalty missions which are optional and dont affect ending, entire planets optional but looks like fewer planets than ME1 but are large like dragon age size levels and provide a large level of variety[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]nomad is exploration only (no guns) and team talks to each other as you drive, team consulted with need for speed team for the driving. they saw a planet, surprised how big it was, sand planet was like ME2 mission where you take damage being in the sun, so can be environment hazard or more localized hazards like acid pool, wildlife and aliens fighting each other, super bosses on certain planets like dragons of DA inquisition where you may have to come back after levelling up[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Space "is its own level" - sense of looking out a window to see the planet you are visiting for more continuity, seamless transition from bridge to going there (ie no loading) then drop to the surface, go in nomad and drop is seamless (virtually no loading) for better immersion. Tempest is smaller and more intimate place, no loading and elevators, eg the walk down from bridge to nomad has no interruption[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]game informer will release a video covering the new alien race the Kett in detail"[/FONT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2RQpyKg04

[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]oh this is dragon inquisition" comment after walking out of the bioware office[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
[/FONT]

Engagerade; said:
[FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]oh this is dragon inquisition" comment after walking out of the bioware office[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
[/FONT]

​not good, really - not good

Question: does anybody knows if the players in multiplayer are divided, separated in world regions?
i payed Dragon Age Inquisition,and discovered, that players from latin america are separated from the rest of the world
i want to know if it's the same with Andromeda's multiplayer

A friend an me talked about this game yesterday

After some time the subject "romance" came up.
Now it's getting a lil bit weird tbh.

He: Hey Josh do you think we can bang our sister ?
Me: What did you just say ?
He: I said if we can have a sexual experience with the female ryder or the other way around?
Me: You have a damn weird mind sometimes.
He: Hey, we're talking about Bioware here.

No joke I was laughing for 5 minutes straight.

BOT: I hope and believe this game will be at least good.
The new Trailer looks really cool, even tho this big creature gives me MB "Transformers" vibes.

DA:I was good and I am glad I played it before Witcher 3 came out, because Witcher was a lot better. (Said by a Bioware Fan)

Even tho DA:I was a good game Bioware finally needs another great game to proof that the team, after all these changes, still got it and mostly to satisfy their "fanbase".
seriously even Star Wars " Fans" are more tolerant & peaceful than the the users I saw on the Bioware forum, which is finally down. :victory:

#nohate

Last edited:
He: Hey Josh do you think we can bang our sister ?
Me: What did you just say ?
He: I said if we can have a sexual experience with the female ryder or the other way around?
Me: You have a damn weird mind sometimes.
He: Hey, we're talking about Bioware here.

No.

Last edited:
I'm really curious how it turns out. I played Mass Effect and also a little bit ME2. ME2 felt to much of an action game and not enough roleplaying game. If Andromeda turns out to be similar to Inquisition but without the bad side quests then it's going to be a great game.

metalmaniac21;n7129670 said:
From all of the available info, Andromeda looks alot like Inquisition, i.e. offline MMO-style. Gonna pass.

Why? Don't you like the RPG part of Mass Effect?
Compared to all DA and ME games Inquisition is pretty close to the original DA:O but with a very action oriented control approach so I think it would fit pretty well into the ME universe.

VikingStudios;n7136650 said:
Why? Don't you like the RPG part of Mass Effect?
Compared to all DA and ME games Inquisition is pretty close to the original DA:O but with a very action oriented control approach so I think it would fit pretty well into the ME universe.

I agree with the spirit of this. I thought a lot of the mechanics in DA:I (crafting, character creation, character progression & leveling, choice & consequence etc) were pretty solid. It had a couple huge problems. 1. Fetch quested to death. 2. Main quest was too short. These are really big problems that kept DA:I from being an "A" game. It still a solid "B" though in my opinion. Fun, interesting, moving at times. The problems have to be avoided for ME:A to be great - but "DA:I in space with Vindicator assault rifles" isn't a terrible place to start IMO if the story and quest design are improved.

VikingStudios;n7136650 said:
Why? Don't you like the RPG part of Mass Effect? Compared to all DA and ME games Inquisition is pretty close to the original DA:O but with a very action oriented control approach so I think it would fit pretty well into the ME universe.
Wait, you want Andromeda to steer it's focus from story and worldbuilding with meaningful quests to MMO-gameplay shenangians? No, no no no no no no, NO! Inquisition gathered lots of good mechanics (the blue-colored good sir above digs) that doesn't work good thrown together and it's main focus on repeating forever Kill/Bring X things doesn't do a great justice to them. Not to mention again how little of story and world there's in Inquisition compared to other games.

Glad that you've asked, because I don't, suprised? I want lighter RPG elements in ME combined with open world, not second Inquisition. For 'Heavy Metal'-rpg purposes there are tons of others, more suitable games.

Last edited:

Definitely looks interesting. Combat looks fun.

EDIT: Krogan is Drack (from the leak). Female Turian squadmate is Vetra. I thought I saw a Quarian in there during the combat portion in a tower maybe (3:07 in video "Raider")? EDIT AGAIN: Not a Quarian - apparently some native species from Andromeda.

Some more thoughts after second viewing:

Traveling between systems doing the warp drive looking thingamajig looks cool. Within the system looks like you have to scan or explore planets before you get info on them. All pretty good, though I wish there was a little more of a feel of travelling in the ship once you get into the system rather than just the little map image. Planet orbiting a black hole? Looks cool.

Group was kicked off the “station” (assuming the nexus). Head of Nexus Security now leads a splinter group? Looks like a lot of muscle (humans, Turians and Krogans + some new floppy ear species). V.I.’s name is “Sam” – wasn’t it Jarvis before? Can we name it? Facial animations off a bit. Needs improvement.

Big tower in distance as leaving settlement on planet in Nomad, seen another one (maybe the same one from a different angle) later when landing pop comes down.

Scanner functions at least partially like Witcher senses from TW3 to help with investigation.Angaran blood? Assuming that’s a species from Andromeda.

Combat looks fun and hectic. Animations a little weird. Looks like one of your team mates runs through a “Hydra” – basicall an Atlas – as it’s about to explode. Didn’t like that. Hope it’s not representative of teammate A.I. To remember … don’t get eaten by Fiends. Love the sniper rifle shot. Think you’re fighting some Kett there at the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom