Mass Effect: Andromeda

+
Hm I don't give much about that. I'll value player feedback more than some blog or whatever expert opinion. And I don't like RPS anyway, I think they write so much bullshit.
Also I don't want to get to much information about the game start itself. So better wait for the first people playing the game.

That's the same RPS author who liked ME3 ending and disliked TW3.

Although, I've been watching streams and I don't like what I've seen in SP. I agree with him on writing. With this setting, they could have tried a more Galactica approach, it looks like they chose the Guardians of the Galaxy/Star Trek last movies approach. And it doesn't work in a very long game.

Still very curious to play MP though.

Last edited:
VikingStudios;n8097850 said:
Hm I don't give much about that. I'll value player feedback more than some blog or whatever expert opinion. And I don't like RPS anyway, I think they write so much bullshit.
Also I don't want to get to much information about the game start itself. So better wait for the first people playing the game.

It's a very good policy to wait for player feedback. However, reading that RPS piece the feeling of déja vu with Dragon Age: Inquisition was strong. All the pitfalls the article is mentioning were precisely the things that ruined Dragon Age for me, so all of that rings true. Bioware are steering their design in a very clear direction, and I'm afraid it's one I dislike (bland, generic games devoid of any personality, with a checkbox design to appeal to the widest possible audience).

Yeah, that's a way better read. What I've played of SP reminds me of the huge DA2 letdown.
MP is fine though, takes time to get used to. Not as good as ME3MP.

Thanks to CDPR and TW3, despite the flaws of TW3..., because everything in MEA seems even less acceptable after your masterpiece.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Yes, I really appreciate how BW decided to include a few references to Monty Python and silly walk. Very clever!

Cool that BioWare are not above to take the piss out of themselves too.

tortugueta;n8105920 said:
It's a very good policy to wait for player feedback. However, reading that RPS piece the feeling of déja vu with Dragon Age: Inquisition was strong. All the pitfalls the article is mentioning were precisely the things that ruined Dragon Age for me, so all of that rings true. Bioware are steering their design in a very clear direction, and I'm afraid it's one I dislike (bland, generic games devoid of any personality, with a checkbox design to appeal to the widest possible audience).

Sadly that's true. But maybe the rest of the game is still good. Anyway, I have enough to play now so I don't starve for something new. I can wait.

The game is now playable to Origin Access members. After 10 hours of messing around ME:A, I think RPS is exaggerating. ME:A clearly has quality control issue. One moment I am looking at beautiful environments, the next I find myself in some Fallout 4's institute... Some character looks fine (none look great/good imo) while others are worse than ME1. Some voice acting is good but others feel like it is done by some random person they pick up from the street. It is very inconsistent. Although facial animation and character expression are consistently... bad - Recommend to put helmet (full face) on whenever possible.

It does have some DA:I elements. I suspect mining and scanning for resources will be quite painful. The best part of ME:A, its combat. The reason people are so unhappy is because ME:A is suppose to be a Narrative-Action-RPG. It failed pretty hard at the "Narrative" part.

Guest 3847602

Well, when the game at its launch have these:

DAI open word and quest structure
dialogue and general tone of that shitty fanservice DLC from ME3
Assassin's Creed Unity level of polish

it's not realistic to expect good pew-pew sections and fun to drive vehicle are gonna save the day. The only surprise for me is to see the gaming media not turning a blind eye.

15 hours to release (pre-loaded on the 17th) and there's no official forum to discuss the game, is there? ah frakkin' EA!

PS.: Anyone here who wishes and is not on my F list on Origin already, DragonRageGT is the name. Let's kick ass on mplayer tonite!!! Woot!

It is funny to see people who praised Skyrim how they don't like Andromeda?
Finally Bioware has failed so low to Bethesda level, and guess what - now you have Skyrim in space!!! This started with DA:I, btw.
Now you have big world, shi*ty characters and voices, bad writing, etc. Just like in Skyrim!
They praised and payed mediocrity, so what's the problem now?

Ignore and support mediocrity, and sooner or later it's gonna become standard.

Looking forward to starting tonight :). Here is an article which claims to have some tips for new players. Since I haven't played, I can't be 100% sure I'll agree with all the tips, but the crafting tips appeared to be helpful - https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#5d7d3ddd5e68. Includes a few very mild spoilers about environments and such ... but nothing story related so far as I saw. I'll report back in a month or so when I've finished it with my thoughts on the game.

Ancient76;n8161510 said:
It is funny to see people who praised Skyrim how they don't like Andromeda?
Finally Bioware has failed so low to Bethesda level, and guess what - now you have Skyrim in space!!! This started with DA:I, btw.
Now you have big world, shi*ty characters and voices, bad writing, etc. Just like in Skyrim!
They praised and payed mediocrity, so what's the problem now?

Ignore and support mediocrity, and sooner or later it's gonna become standard.

But Skyrim is Elder Scrolls, fans knew what the'll get. Also Skyrim had its own flair which attracted a lot of people. And last but not least, mods.
I didn't like Oblivion but I love Skyrim because of the art style and the atmosphere, snow, ice, vikings, dragons. But without mods it would have become boring pretty fast.
And yes characters and writing is one of the big fails in the game.

Only because it worked for Skyrim, doesn't mean it works for other games. And again mods, and this time I don't mean overhauls or new stuff but just fixes, improvements and better graphics. If there is something that sucks in a Bethesda game (like the UI in Skyrim) you could bet there will be a mod that fixes it. BW unfortunately doesn't want their games being altered by mods. DA:O had some nice graphical improvements and other mods but since DA2 BW removed their mod tools.

Seems the game is exactly as mediocre and unimaginative as I thought it would be judging from the awful trailers and teasers. Plus cringeworthy dialogue and facial animations.

Top Bottom