Massive FPS drops/stuttering in certain areas (Mobile RTX 3080) with 1.5

+
Hello,

I am having MASSIVE stuttering problems regardless of my settings in the game since Patch 1.5. It is worse with RayTracing, but even without it and absolute minimal settings in 720P the stuttering is still there, its just obviously less noticeable since the drop socket is extremely high with those settings, but you can tell that the game is stuttering/slowing down even then.

This happens only in certain areas of the game, some I noticed are near the ocean. For example when I drive next to it, walk towards it or even just look into its direction from close proxomity, even if there is stuff obscuring it. One example is the Tutorial area with Meridith Stout. Driving through the sewers towards her car tanks my FPS into mega-stuttering and standing in front of it and looking at it towards the ocean behind drops my 99% FPS to 5, while the general FPS is shown at 50. If I then turn away from her car the stutering is completely gone. And when I start turning back towards it slowly it immediately appears again.

Other times I drive through the central city during rain with RT cranked to the max and everything runs fine, then it starts stuttering again out of nowhere.

I tried clearing my Shader Cache, uninstalling drivers with DDU, doing a clean installation, activating and deactivating my shader cache, activating and deactivating pre-caching in steam, disabling overlays, downloading ISLC, playing around with my Control Panel and Energy settings, nothing solves this issue.

The Laptop is a brand new GP 66 Leopard with a 3080 at 145W. Something I notice is that my GPU/CPU usage fluctates massively during the stuttering, sometimes dropping towards 20% and my power usage drops into the 50s or even 30s when the stutter occurs, as if the game just forgot how to use my GPU.

This hasnt happened to me in other games, Dying Light 2 had some hick ups, but Patches eliminated most of them for me and other games I played recently didnt have these stuttering issues, so I am at a complete loss. the game is virtually unplayable for me in its 1.5 patch state, because the stuttering is very extreme (down to 5FPS during stutters as I said). I also played the game on the previous Patch in december and there was no stuttering back then, it appeared with 1.5.

Last edited:
Strange, did you check the temperatures of your laptop, to make sure it's not a thermal throttling issue for some reason?

You can report it to CDPR support here:
(please click on "contact us" to send a ticket)

Normally the game should run fine if you disable Raytracing...

You could also limit the framerate to for example 30 fps via dynamic resolution scaling, to see if that leads to a more stable performance.

And perhaps close every nonessential background app to see if that has an impact.

But no idea... perhaps CDPR has a better solution. Sending a ticket to support is probably the best way to go.

Its none of the "easy fixes", I sadly already went fairly deep into this over several hours. Its either something obscure or game related with certain objects or effects in the game. RE7 had a similar issue, where the daughters flies would burn down some peoples PCs/FPS.

I recorded 3 videos with the Stout scene + me driving around without closing the game, to show that the stutter doesnt happen in other areas. In one video there is even no stutter at all, in the other 2 there is stutter that makes the game borderline unplayable in the "stutter areas" and then I load a save in the city and everything is fine.

The performance issue on the third video is from changing the settings I know, I forgot to cut that out.

This is on the exact same Laptop within minutes and me on a fresh game start. I will send these to the Support aswell, but maybe someone here has similar issues and found a fix. I am completely at a loss since this error isnt reproducable in any other game either. It only happens in CP since 1.5, it did not happen in the previous Patch.

Last edited:
Its none of the "easy fixes", I sadly already went fairly deep into this over several hours. Its either something obscure or game related with certain objects or effects in the game. RE7 had a similar issue, where the daughters flies would burn down some peoples PCs/FPS.

I recorded 3 videos with the Stout scene + me driving around without closing the game, to show that the stutter doesnt happen in other areas. In one video there is even no stutter at all, in the other 2 there is stutter that makes the game borderline unplayable in the "stutter areas" and then I load a save in the city and everything is fine.

The performance issue on the third video is from changing the settings I know, I forgot to cut that out.

This is on the exact same Laptop within minutes and me on a fresh game start. I will send these to the Support aswell, but maybe someone here has similar issues and found a fix. I am completely at a loss since this error isnt reproducable in any other game either. It only happens in CP since 1.5, it did not happen in the previous Patch.
Could you redo one video with a overlay with cpu/gpu usage temps clockspeeds fps and so on? That stuttering looks like a real problem question is what.
Its an old save? have you used mods on that save? Also noticed the amount of Vram is 8gb or 16gb? wanna se how much the game uses if its 8gb.

Last edited:
Could you redo one video with a overlay with cpu/gpu usage temps clockspeeds fps and so on? That stuttering looks like a real problem question is what.
Its an old save? have you used mods on that save? Also noticed the amount of Vram is 8gb or 16gb? wanna se how much the game uses if its 8gb.

Are these settings correct? I am not sure which Overlay Settings are required. In the Nvidia Overlay it shows the Framedrop in the "99% Frames" setting, where it shows 5 FPS. It doest seem like the Rivatuner option works, since I clicked it.

The save with the car and the stuttering when I look at the area behind it is a new 1.5 save, the one where I drive in the city is an old save.

And its 8 Vram, so it could have something to do with that, but that still doesnt explain why it works fine in other areas. As you can see in the video it runs perfectly fine in the middle of the city with full on rain and reflections everywhere after loading a save from the stuttering scene directly. There is no way the scene at the car, where it stutters, is more demanding than the driving sequence. And if it is then something is severely wrong.

If the stutter appeared everywhere it would probably easier to figure it out, but it doesnt, it only happens in certain areas and the areas dont even make sense. I had the same drops in a dark alley with a small light bubble and nothing else.

One thing i notice is that my GPU watts and workload goes down during the stutters.

Yea thats very weird. what happend if you turn every setting too low? same issue? Repairing the game? have you tried completly uninstalling the game all cyberpunk hidden folders with user settings and stuff too? Kinda looks like the GPU looses the will too live at spots and no clear problem. When in the caliburn your getting very close too the 8gb Vram but game would probably hard crash if it ever got too high. stuttering is another symptom. could be some power setting too i guess or some energy saving thing that kicks in..

Edit: hmm your playing on a 4k screen? try too play on the laptop screen and se if its the same...

Hello,

I am having MASSIVE stuttering problems regardless of my settings in the game since Patch 1.5. It is worse with RayTracing, but even without it and absolute minimal settings in 720P the stuttering is still there, its just obviously less noticeable since the drop socket is extremely high with those settings, but you can tell that the game is stuttering/slowing down even then.

This happens only in certain areas of the game, some I noticed are near the ocean. For example when I drive next to it, walk towards it or even just look into its direction from close proxomity, even if there is stuff obscuring it. One example is the Tutorial area with Meridith Stout. Driving through the sewers towards her car tanks my FPS into mega-stuttering and standing in front of it and looking at it towards the ocean behind drops my 99% FPS to 5, while the general FPS is shown at 50. If I then turn away from her car the stutering is completely gone. And when I start turning back towards it slowly it immediately appears again.

Other times I drive through the central city during rain with RT cranked to the max and everything runs fine, then it starts stuttering again out of nowhere.

I tried clearing my Shader Cache, uninstalling drivers with DDU, doing a clean installation, activating and deactivating my shader cache, activating and deactivating pre-caching in steam, disabling overlays, downloading ISLC, playing around with my Control Panel and Energy settings, nothing solves this issue.

The Laptop is a brand new GP 66 Leopard with a 3080 at 145W. Something I notice is that my GPU/CPU usage fluctates massively during the stuttering, sometimes dropping towards 20% and my power usage drops into the 50s or even 30s when the stutter occurs, as if the game just forgot how to use my GPU.

This hasnt happened to me in other games, Dying Light 2 had some hick ups, but Patches eliminated most of them for me and other games I played recently didnt have these stuttering issues, so I am at a complete loss. the game is virtually unplayable for me in its 1.5 patch state, because the stuttering is very extreme (down to 5FPS during stutters as I said). I also played the game on the previous Patch in december and there was no stuttering back then, it appeared with 1.
recently got a 3060ti and started replaying the game with raytracing and higher settings. have all raytracing on and dlls on peformance. average around 65 fps. then after about 30 minutes or so my fps starts to drop more and more where ive seen 35 fps average. sure playable. i played at around 40 fps on my rx 580 before but thing is that ive gotten 60-70 fps in those same spots. if i restart the game and load back into tthatt same spot im back at 60-70 fps. ive noticed that everytime im starting to drop fps my GPUs Vram is fully used. using around 8030 MB. When game is smooth its been at around 7.4 GB vram. Been trying to find a way to limit Vram usage but no luck. My bet is that the game is trying to use more vram than is available. Before they had the game with console spec settings and now uncapped? or not working as it should. idk. hopefully someone gets back to me

Happening to me too. Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 3070Ti, 8x2GB 3200Mhz, Gen3 nvme ssd, 3440x1440. I'm playing on a ultra with ultra RTX and DLSS performance w/ 0.05 sharpening. I get normal fps, fps tanks at some point, and places that performed normally do not reach that level anymore afterwards. Restarting the game and I get normal performance, even in the place that started making my game chug. I'm also using the SMT fix, not sure if it's placebo or what but I feel like the game runs better with it.

Something funny I noticed is that once I hit this point, my temperatures end up being the lowest of the game session, during regular performing gameplay I've seen my gpu go up to 66-67c which is well below the point of thermal throttling. So even though the reported gpu usage is high it doesn't seem to be that way.

Having a hard time figuring out if it's a game related issue, me overestimating my card's capabilities or something on my PC's end.

I'm having this problem as well. I've tried everything mentioned, my last resort is to buy new speakers as I read people having issues with the particular brand I have. G560 gaming speakers.

Happening to me too. Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 3070Ti, 8x2GB 3200Mhz, Gen3 nvme ssd, 3440x1440. I'm playing on a ultra with ultra RTX and DLSS performance w/ 0.05 sharpening. I get normal fps, fps tanks at some point, and places that performed normally do not reach that level anymore afterwards. Restarting the game and I get normal performance, even in the place that started making my game chug. I'm also using the SMT fix, not sure if it's placebo or what but I feel like the game runs better with it.

Something funny I noticed is that once I hit this point, my temperatures end up being the lowest of the game session, during regular performing gameplay I've seen my gpu go up to 66-67c which is well below the point of thermal throttling. So even though the reported gpu usage is high it doesn't seem to be that way.

Having a hard time figuring out if it's a game related issue, me overestimating my card's capabilities or something on my PC's end.
The same happens in my case. The power consumption is less which is why the lower temps. Why low power consumption - donno

I really hope they get a solution to this, because the game is generally running better on my system, despite the stuttering and crackling sound.
As @YoungBoi stated his issue seems similar to mine, My specs are Intel core i9- 10900F 2.80GHZ RTX3060 12GB, 32GB system memory.

Just for more info rather than having a cure, what happens to windows shared memory in the Meredith car scene? You can see it in task manager (I think under GPU), I'm not sure if other apps show it.

This is the system in Windows that starts sharing out normal system RAM (which is significantly slower) to the GPU when your GPU RAM is full, and there has been some comment on here that the process may not be being handled properly so that it's leading to at least some of the otherwise unexplained frame rate drops people have been seeing.

I have an update from me aswell. I uninstalled the game because I had given up, but after playing the recent Dying Light 2 Patch I encountered the exact same issue, where certain objects would tank my FPS when I looked into their direction (even if a wall was in between and I couldnt actually see them), while having zero issues when turning away from them, even if they were right behind me.

Someone mentioned that the current Nvidia drivers had memory leaks. While I couldnt confirm it I found a couple complaints about the drivers on the Nvidia Reddit and Forums, so I uninstalled them with DDU and reinstalled older drivers - I chose the 497.29 ones.

Low and behold the stuttering was gone both in Dying Light and in Cyberpunk. I started both games 5-6 times, loaded several saves and I have yet to encounter the stuttering again, outside of the known problems when changing settings ingame which both games seem to have, both are pretty unstable.

I hope I am not jinxing myself now, but I will try to play the game for 2-3 hours later and see how it performs and if I can maybe finally play the patch now or not.

I have an update from me aswell. I uninstalled the game because I had given up, but after playing the recent Dying Light 2 Patch I encountered the exact same issue, where certain objects would tank my FPS when I looked into their direction (even if a wall was in between and I couldnt actually see them), while having zero issues when turning away from them, even if they were right behind me.

Someone mentioned that the current Nvidia drivers had memory leaks. While I couldnt confirm it I found a couple complaints about the drivers on the Nvidia Reddit and Forums, so I uninstalled them with DDU and reinstalled older drivers - I chose the 497.29 ones.

Low and behold the stuttering was gone both in Dying Light and in Cyberpunk. I started both games 5-6 times, loaded several saves and I have yet to encounter the stuttering again, outside of the known problems when changing settings ingame which both games seem to have, both are pretty unstable.

I hope I am not jinxing myself now, but I will try to play the game for 2-3 hours later and see how it performs and if I can maybe finally play the patch now or not.
Looking at the posts, I was wondering.
Nvidia released an update on February 12 (I think) and update 1.5 was released on February 15... So unless you played between February 12 and February 15 in 1.31, impossible to really know if it's the new Nvidia drivers or the 1.5 update (or both together).

Looking at the posts, I was wondering.
Nvidia released an update on February 12 (I think) and update 1.5 was released on February 15... So unless you played between February 12 and February 15 in 1.31, impossible to really know if it's the new Nvidia drivers or the 1.5 update (or both together).
I mean it possibly fixed the issue for me, so it might be a combination of the patch and the driver. I didnt have the issue in Dying Light 2 before the recent patch either, where they changed some lighting stuff. I played Cyberpunk around christmas when I got a new Laptop and I didnt have any issues, that was back with the 49X.XX Driver generation + the old patch.

But I cant say for sure before I play the game for 1-2 hours later. I might comment then.

Sounds like an issue with driver + lighting in the game. Or its just a problem with how lighting is done in these two games. Im guessing your using RT in both? Could also be some conflict with the drivers i guess. Anyways im glad it worked out for you.

It fixes the stutter yeah, sadly the stability of the game is still absolutely awful. It is a gamble whether it will run fine or not. I have 50% FPS difference in the exact same areas based on coin flips. The game just refuses to use my card sometimes, while the GPU is chilling at almost idle temperatures. Newer drivers might help with the stability, not sure, but that doesnt help me when I have these unplayable stutters.

The drivers are also causing issues when connecting y TV to my Laptop to play on it. Sometimes it just gives me a black screen and fails to connect, forcing me to hard reset the Laptop. I will see if I can figure out a way to avoid this, but many people in the Nvidia driver comments mentioned these problems, where they had huge issues connecting screens. Nvidia really shit the bed hard with their drivers.

DC9V

Forum veteran

It sort of looks like your computer is either trying to switch to an integrated GPU, or isn't able to provide enough power.
Did you check your power plan settings?

Yeah my power plan is set to "Ultimate" but I also tried "Highest". I have my Battery capped at 60% since I read this is better for battery life, not sure if this has any influence on it. However this problem only happens in Cyberpunk, in other games my Watts for the GPU is fairly consistand, in Cyberpunk it fluctuaties like absolutely crazy nonstop.

Top Bottom