Massive FPS drops/stuttering in certain areas (Mobile RTX 3080) with 1.5

+
Yeah my power plan is set to "Ultimate" but I also tried "Highest". I have my Battery capped at 60% since I read this is better for battery life, not sure if this has any influence on it. However this problem only happens in Cyberpunk, in other games my Watts for the GPU is fairly consistand, in Cyberpunk it fluctuaties like absolutely crazy nonstop.
Yea Cp can push a card too very high wattage. Also loads if up hard so its not impossible that battery savings and so on limit what it can do. Using both dlss and RT = using everything in your gfx card and using it hard. For me it pulls 460-480 w all the time when playing even when my card downclocks a bit.

Havent hade any crashes in 1.5 without me doing crazy OC on my card or using CRT 2.1 (its a clockspeed "optimiser") Using latest drivers and some mods. The game generaly dont like anything messing with it (Overlays, overclocks, powerlimiting, ect)

Actually Cyberpunk is NOT pushing my Watts usage, thats the issue. In any other game I have 135+ W (140 is my max TDP), In Cyberpunk it never goes higher than 125, most of the time it is at around 119. My Card is classified as 125+15 TDP, but Cyberpunk isnt using the "+15" and I have absolutely no idea why or what I could do or why this is the case.

If Iy plop in Dying Light 2 my Watts immediately go back up to 135~, in CP I have never seen it exceed 125.

Actually Cyberpunk is NOT pushing my Watts usage, thats the issue. In any other game I have 135+ W (140 is my max TDP), In Cyberpunk it never goes higher than 125, most of the time it is at around 119. My Card is classified as 125+15 TDP, but Cyberpunk isnt using the "+15" and I have absolutely no idea why or what I could do or why this is the case.

If Iy plop in Dying Light 2 my Watts immediately go back up to 135~, in CP I have never seen it exceed 125.
Im seeing 140w spikes in the video with overlays you did. pretty much goes 125-140. Wonder if that was the issue with those horrible stutterings. Can you try too remove ANY limitation on battery/power. Also see if you have some program from msi doing some kinda limitation or something. Some fluxurations in powerdraw is quite normal tho.

Also just a note but its quite weird that a laptop 3080 draws like half the wattage of a desktop one :D

I just rollback the nvidia drivers to 497.29. It worked for me played for an hr, and got no stutter. It was awesome. Will play for longer tomorrow, but a note i was usually getting the stutter whithin 15mins of play, and reloading never fixed it.

Nice to hear it helped you, I went to 511.23 now because I had issues with my TV connection, sadly it didnt fix the problems lol. But it still isnt stuttering, so I am not gonna change to the newest drivers. Ill just try to carefully connect/disconnect the TV.

Im seeing 140w spikes in the video with overlays you did. pretty much goes 125-140. Wonder if that was the issue with those horrible stutterings. Can you try too remove ANY limitation on battery/power. Also see if you have some program from msi doing some kinda limitation or something. Some fluxurations in powerdraw is quite normal tho.

Also just a note but its quite weird that a laptop 3080 draws like half the wattage of a desktop one :D
What do you mean with limitations on power/battery? I use Ultimate Performance for energy saving and max performance in Nvidia settings and I even downloaded Throttlestop and disabled Turbo limitations there. Not sure if there is something else o_O

One way I managed to get past 125W now was Ocerclocking my GPU with Afterburner. +150/2000 pushes my Watts usage to 130-135. I have to see how stable it is, but I think it had a fairly big impact on performance in the game. The temp went up to 67 degree tho for the GPU when I ran it for like 15 minutes. Will try to play more later and see how it does.

If it is stable I might have to overclock my GPU for Cyberpunk to run it on my TV with Ultra RT. It is less of an issue on my Laptop, since running it in 1080 or 1440p with DLDSR looks good there, but on my TV it looks absolutely atrocious in lower resolutions, so I kinda have to use NIS for 4k and use performance DLSS. The game is just mad demanding with the 1.5 RT changes.

And yeah lol, I live in Germany so the lower energy demand is actually a nice boon with the absolutely crazy going energy prices here. An actual 3080 would cost me a fortune to run lol. But on the flipside the Laptop is a good 30% + slower than a PC 3080, its more comparable to a 3070 PC. But it also cost as much as a Desktop 3070 somehow, Desktop prices are still crazy.

Last edited:
What do you mean with limitations on power/battery? I use Ultimate Performance for energy saving and max performance in Nvidia settings and I even downloaded Throttlestop and disabled Turbo limitations there. Not sure if there is something else o_O

One way I managed to get past 125W now was Ocerclocking my GPU with Afterburner. +150/2000 pushes my Watts usage to 130-135. I have to see how stable it is, but I think it had a fairly big impact on performance in the game. The temp went up to 67 degree tho for the GPU when I ran it for like 15 minutes. Will try to play more later and see how it does.
I meant any thing that could limit power usage but it seems you have removed them.

Hmm sounds like its a built in limitation then, if OCing increases powerdraw the card isent booting too its limit. Might be temperatures that are too high for it too achive max boost. Shouldent be that big of a differance too give stutters or anything. Ocing might make the game crash alot tho and it seems you have quite the OC on (not that sure of the Laptop gpus OC limitations) 150 oc wont even run on my 3090 since im power caped at aroun 100.

No it is driver related.

I just installed the drivers 511.65 and 511.79 sand both have the microstutter, while the ones before didnt. I will probably send this to the support aswell.

This is actually hilarious. I need to use 511.65+ if I want to use DLDSR since I use a widescreen and it is bugged before 511.65, but I cant because they dont work with Cyberpunk...

Last edited:
Hmm so let me get this right. Your using DLSS too scale down the rendering resolution and upscaling it too your output. Then using DLDSR too upscale it while resizing it too you monitors output? Or are you only using DLDSR?

Hmm so let me get this right. Your using DLSS too scale down the rendering resolution and upscaling it too your output. Then using DLDSR too upscale it while resizing it too you monitors output? Or are you only using DLDSR?
No I want to use DLDSR in other games and 2.25 is too demanding, while 1.78 is bugged pre 511.65, but starting with 511.65 Cyberpunk is bugged.

We either need a new Nvidia driver that fixes whatever is wrong (some people here had the same issue and fixed it with older drivers) or a Cyberpunk patch that fixes whatever is problematic with those new drivers.

That sucks, I am using 511.23 and my stutter is gone 100%, unless you mean something else.

I still have framedrops but thats probably the game. With a GPU on the level on a 3070 Raytracing is almost impossible to use with halfway acceptable resolution (over 1080p)/DLSS settings on my ultrawide due to what probably is memory leaking. Even if I find setting where I have a playable enough 50+ FPS with RT it degrades extremely fast and tanks in some areas to 2X, with 99% in the 1X, which is just not enjoyable to play at all. Trying to get this game to run on my new Laptop has made me insanely sensitive to FPS drops, when I played through it with around 30 FPS and drops below on release...

I need insane headroom with my settings (70-80 FPS when tweaking) so the game stays enjoyable during FPS drop areas even without RT. It works on my 15 inch Laptop screen but its just more enjoyable on a big screen...

That sucks, I am using 511.23 and my stutter is gone 100%, unless you mean something else.

I still have framedrops but thats probably the game. With a GPU on the level on a 3070 Raytracing is almost impossible to use with halfway acceptable resolution (over 1080p)/DLSS settings on my ultrawide due to what probably is memory leaking. Even if I find setting where I have a playable enough 50+ FPS with RT it degrades extremely fast and tanks in some areas to 2X, with 99% in the 1X, which is just not enjoyable to play at all. Trying to get this game to run on my new Laptop has made me insanely sensitive to FPS drops, when I played through it with around 30 FPS and drops below on release...

I need insane headroom with my settings (70-80 FPS when tweaking) so the game stays enjoyable during FPS drop areas even without RT. It works on my 15 inch Laptop screen but its just more enjoyable on a big screen...
What settings are you using ? I am on desktop with RTX 3070 and 5600x playing with RT ultra settings with DLSS set to auto at 1440p with Nvidia drivers 497.29. Initially it is consistently 50+ fps but it decreases over time going as low as 35.

I’ve just been playing for over an hour and haven’t gotten any stutter. Idk what I changed, only thing I did was change my resolution from native 1920x1020 240hz to non native 1920x1020 144hz.

Yeah, I have one such area with my hardware (see below). It is on the highway, going towards South, right when it enters The Glen and until it starts going up. None of the hardware perfcaps more than usual, so I think it is a genuine bug. Something like the game's AI self-limiting itself and stuttering, and thereby holding up on frame generation. Also, it is hardly a coincidence that it starts right when the car enters The Glen. It must be related to the area somehow.

The issue is also intermittent. Sometimes it is just fine. Sometimes it is flat having the fps to 40-ies. Repeat, no unusual hardware perfcap (the gpu sticks to its 98/99% as usual).

That stuttery area had been so since the very beginning or so.

My PC: PC, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, 2004; M12E, i9-10900K, Asus 3090 Gaming Strix OC, G.Skill 32 GB RAM 3733 MHz CL14; PG259QN; AE-9

Last edited:

Glad that you were able to work this out, but now that it has happened once, it will likely come back to visit again. However your laptop is designed, something about the combination of hardware, BIOS, firmware, drivers, OS, and game doesn't want to play nicely. Be sure you keep your hands on those drivers. I normally have an external drive I use to archive specific driver versions or files for certain games, and I roll back to them if I want to play again. This is normally a good fix for about 3-5 years. At that point, the updates that will invariably made to Windows, the game itself, and driver techniques will have made the issue obsolete. Other times it lasts for quite a while.

My guess -- based on the type of hitching you were seeing, and specifically because the game cleared up the issue in that 3rd video after a restart -- is that the problem existed in either the RAM or VRAM. Not that there's anything wrong with the RAM itself, but that there is a problem with the way the laptop is utilizing the RAM sectors. By restarting the game/PC, you clear the memory addresses, and viola, no hitching. By saving/reloading, it re-introduces the issue.

Also, you are definitely playing the game while the laptop is plugged into an actual outlet, correct? Trying to run a game like this off of a battery is likely going to significantly impact performance.

I can confirm that gtx1050(4gb) with 8gb ram(i5-8300h), nvidia drivers 497.29 reduce a lot of stutter( i still get due to weak build) but majority of stutters I faced after patch 1.5 hotfix2 are gone and I am back to 1.3 levels of great stability, for me atleast.

If you have AMD Ryzen CPU (i didnt find this information in any post), you can try to download this mod (https://www.cyberpunk2077mod.com/cyber-engine-tweaks-2/) and in the settings enable SMT fix. Seriously, i dont think its your problem, but you can try it. Iam on Ryzen 2700x with 32GB RAM and Rx 6800 XT and i had sometimes FPS drops during roaming trought the city in a vehicle. But in 95% of the time i have stable 60 FPS (v-sync). And this SMT fix kinda helped me to reduce this drops.

What settings are you using ? I am on desktop with RTX 3070 and 5600x playing with RT ultra settings with DLSS set to auto at 1440p with Nvidia drivers 497.29. Initially it is consistently 50+ fps but it decreases over time going as low as 35.
On 1440p 16:9 I can only play with RT in balanced DLSS and then the game looks very blurred out on a bigger screen. FPS goes from 40-60, sometimes even into the 30ies and it feels very unenjoyable.

Also, you are definitely playing the game while the laptop is plugged into an actual outlet, correct? Trying to run a game like this off of a battery is likely going to significantly impact performance

Yeah I am not running the game on battery. The game would run in 10 FPS on battery, if the Laptop wouldnt crash straight up. Id rather not test what would happen.

My guess -- based on the type of hitching you were seeing, and specifically because the game cleared up the issue in that 3rd video after a restart -- is that the problem existed in either the RAM or VRAM. Not that there's anything wrong with the RAM itself, but that there is a problem with the way the laptop is utilizing the RAM sectors. By restarting the game/PC, you clear the memory addresses, and viola, no hitching. By saving/reloading, it re-introduces the issue.

The stutter is caused by the drivers. A restart did not clear the stutter. Only going back to 497.XX drivers fixed it, or 511.23 at the most. 511.65 + 511.79 cause massive stuttering, other people are having this issue aswell and it seems many use 497.XX drivers. The stutter just doesnt happen in every area it is weirdly tied to specific locations or what Id assume specific effects/objects, which is why I showed the driving bits.

The performance degrading with RT enabled is probably a memory leak? The game just isnt playable below 12-16GB vRam with RT in 1.5, unless you take a hit to the visual quality. On a big screen 1440p with anything below Quality/Balanced DLSS is kinda rough.

Edit:

Yeah on my Laptop screen in 1080p with Quality DLSS and Psycho RT the game looks much better than comparable on a bigger one, since its also an IPS which much better colors/quality. Dont even need 1440p, since its hard to see the difference on 15 inch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom