Massive FPS drops/stuttering in certain areas (Mobile RTX 3080) with 1.5

+
Actually Cyberpunk is NOT pushing my Watts usage, thats the issue. In any other game I have 135+ W (140 is my max TDP), In Cyberpunk it never goes higher than 125, most of the time it is at around 119. My Card is classified as 125+15 TDP, but Cyberpunk isnt using the "+15" and I have absolutely no idea why or what I could do or why this is the case.

If Iy plop in Dying Light 2 my Watts immediately go back up to 135~, in CP I have never seen it exceed 125.
Same as me.

I have installed cyberpunk patched to version 1.5 over a laptop Dell XPS 15 9510 with an RTX 3050 ti, and the average FPS is 11 - 12 FPS (RT is on and DLSS is set to performance).

The funny thing is that some times the FPS count boosts up to 40 fps for short periods of time (15 - 20 sec).

On these short intervals, the power usage of the RTX 3050 ti gpu is about 30 w (this GPU is listed as a 45 w card) however, usually the power consumption is capped to 20 w, and this is happening just with cyberpunk, not with other games/apps.

I've tried different fixes for stuttering, but nothing seems to work (even I rolled back the driver version to 497.29 but it didn't fix the issue).

Has anyone found out how to remove this "power consumption limitation"?

Has anyone found out how to remove this "power consumption limitation"?
iam afraid its not good idea cos this limit has propably something to do with cooling capacity of CPU/GPU cooler in laptop. You can try to ask on dell support, if its possible to set somewhere this limit up and if its safety for hardware.

iam afraid its not good idea cos this limit has propably something to do with cooling capacity of CPU/GPU cooler in laptop. You can try to ask on dell support, if its possible to set somewhere this limit up and if its safety for hardware.
Hello.

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Indeed, I changed the thermal management setting to "high performance" and now the GPU is able to use more than 20 w, however this setting is intended to affect only to processor and fan speed, not the GPU.

I'm asking to dell support help to tell me why this behavior.

However, thanks so much for your suggestion, it helped me so much.

....And its 8 Vram, so it could have something to do with that, but that still doesnt explain why it works fine in other areas. As you can see in the video it runs perfectly fine in the middle of the city with full on rain and reflections everywhere after loading a save from the stuttering scene directly. There is no way the scene at the car, where it stutters, is more demanding than the driving sequence. And if it is then something is severely wrong.

If the stutter appeared everywhere it would probably easier to figure it out, but it doesnt, it only happens in certain areas and the areas dont even make sense. I had the same drops in a dark alley with a small light bubble and nothing else.

One thing i notice is that my GPU watts and workload goes down during the stutters.

The 8GB Vram was my issue. I had an RTX 3070 OC 8GB Vram and had those same issues. Upgraded to an RTX 3080 OC 12GB vram and problem disappeared. The game has horrible memory leak issues. 10GB of VRAM or higher is what the game needs if you want to run it on ultra. The game is just such a resource hog

Ultra settings, ray tracing and everything, 3080 12GB:
afterlife.jpg
resource_hog.jpg

Last edited:
i have a little help for all who have problems with game smoothness in certain areas.

I had low FPS in certain areas regardless on used resolution and graphic details. I had about 40 FPS even on 720p, low details and FSR set to maximum performance :) Changes of resolution and graphic details changed only hardware load but fps were still low.

so, what helped me a bit? install "cyber engine tweaks" mod if you dont have it already and turn on "disable async compute" option in settings card. Save the change. To affect the game you have to quit the game and run again.

107-1613641770-185635979.jpg

Doesn´t help. Since 1.5 something is broken within certain areas.

WQHD, RT Ultra, lokal Shadows off, DLSS Balanced.

Jig Jig Street entry (47 FPS, smooth Frametimes):
Cyberpunk2077_2022_04_24_16_28_55_981.jpg

Little bar left of the entry (halfed FPS to 23, Frametimes from hell:
Cyberpunk2077_2022_04_24_16_29_41_022.jpg

Guess engine related technical issues with RT. Without RT... no drops.

Edit: Driver-Reinstallation (512.15) seems to fixed it. Stable FPS, smooth frametimes are back.

Last edited:
Frametimes is kinda connected too the rendering too i would say. More effects = more render time. Seems a bit odd your fps gets cut in half tho. Happeds every time?
Edit: checked it myself i have diffrent res+settings but no noticeble degrade.

Last edited:
Yep. Which driver version did you use?
Im on the latest driver with latest DLSS. Running max settings 4k with hdr and DLSS at performance. tested it on balanced too and no difference. Guessing its RT related like you said saw quite big "memory usage" at thet spot but it dident increase just gobbeled up more.

edit: tested a bit more around jigjig street. Saw like 2 gb higher vram usage then at other places. Guessing its more npcs in a tighter place? Could explain poor fps if you dont have much room for 2 gb extra.

Last edited:
O.k., thanks. I will try some combinations of driver- and DLSS-Versions. With some luck, it´s a driver installation related problem.

Update:
That´s really somehow... weird. First installed 472.12 (from 512.15) and switched back to DLSS 2.3.7. Smooth Frametime, stable FPS around 50, only small drops of 4-5 FPS. Reinstalled 512.15 and DLSS 2.4. The same, smooth and stable FPS and Frametimes. No Spikes. Tested at Jig Jig, Cherry Blosssom, Afterlife and Redwood.

Lol... sometime it helps just talking about.

Last edited:
O.k., thanks. I will try some combinations of driver- and DLSS-Versions. With some luck, it´s a driver installation related problem.

Update:
That´s really somehow... weird. First installed 472.12 (from 512.15) and switched back to DLSS 2.3.7. Smooth Frametime, stable FPS around 50, only small drops of 4-5 FPS. Reinstalled 512.15 and DLSS 2.4. The same, smooth and stable FPS and Frametimes. No Spikes. Tested at Jig Jig, Cherry Blosssom, Afterlife and Redwood.

Lol... sometime it helps just talking about.
You use DDU when reinstalling? Might be something that was corrupted or dident update first time or something like that ^^

It is a memory leak, the game needs 10GB of vram or more, 8GB cards will get beat up over and over, I know because I tried both 3070 8GB and 3080 with 12GB. The game tries to push past the 8GB mark over and over regardless of settings. This in the afterlife, and the same thing when you click the map. It pushes VRAM past 8, even on the map view where there are no crazy textures. These screens are with an RTX 3080 12GB. I wish I had my screens of 3070 8GB where it would start of great and then end with a FPS crawl

I would love to see the performance on one of those RTX 3060 with 10GB of vram would do against an RTX 3070 with 8

resource_hog.jpg

Attachments

• FPSmap.jpg
    FPSmap.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
O.k. Seems like an issue that could be fixed. Maybe together with a fix for the stuttering map. 8 GB VRAM video cards are quite common yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom