Massive Overhaul of the Interface

+
gards;n10039781 said:
The game is faster on PC. It's on speed!

Ps4 pro fast as lightning too..
not to mention the resolution upscale..dang. it looks and plays real nice

What I like:
- new deckbuilder is pretty comfortable to use
- the witcher signs when you play Geralt: Igni, Aard or Yrden
- blood/full moon looks great

What I don't like:
- the cards look so small and less beautiful than before
- cards appear so damn fast
- the mulligan screen is really ugly
- I liked the old consume animation more
- damaging and buffing animation doesn't look good

It really looks a bit like a mobile game now :(

Last edited:
BornBoring;n10040751 said:
What I like:
- new deckbuilder is pretty comfortable to use
- the witcher signs when you play Geralt: Igni, Aard or Yrden
- blood/full moon looks great

What I don't like:
- the cards look so small and less beautiful than before
- cards appear so damn fast
- the mulligan screen is really ugly
- I liked the old consume animation more
- damaging and buffing animation doesn't look good

It really looks a bit like a mobile game now :(

I agree, especially about the Moonlight card. The effect looks amazing!

my eyes just exploded

Logged in today to have some fun in gwent. Patch day... horay maybe new cards, definitely a new meta. Downloading and installing patch Logged in 3....2....1

And my eyes just exploded. What is with that ugly UI. Bleah... Maybe they wanted to try new things. Noticed the daily quest (I think)... I begin to panic.... They want to transform this into Hearthstone.... But I left that game due to the bad business model and RNG. Came here. Felt in love with gwent and stayed.

I tell to myself... let's play to see the new cards and the card changes. And then it struck me. My eyes bleed rivers of blood. It was so bad.... so bad I even mysplayed some cards three times. No!!!. My eyes just exploded. I coun't comprehend what I was staring at. The horrible UI, the stupid effects or the blant and uninspiring cards.

Logged out after getting my 100 ore and opening some kegs. The troll didn't even made me smile today. I was just staring at the horrible, horrible cards.

Bottom line: ---- the entire new interface looks BAD. I can't even force myself to play again. Please gives us the option to opt in for the old interface. It was 100X times better.

Can't comment yet on the balance changes because I simply can't pull myself together to actually play the game. Never seen something so bad, not even in the alpha stage of a card game.

I was so looking forward to this but the old interface is much better looking. The old interface was magical and it felt like I was playing something truly original in every sense. The deck building feature is definitely a step up. I know CDPR cares about their fans and they'll make adjustments. Ugh, I dislike it so much I quit after one round. I look forward to some more enhancements please,soon.

thisisnotflesh;n10044591 said:
I was so looking forward to this but the old interface is much better looking. The old interface was magical and it felt like I was playing something truly original in every sense. The deck building feature is definitely a step up. I know CDPR cares about their fans and they'll make adjustments. Ugh, I dislike it so much I quit after one round. I look forward to some more enhancements please,soon.

Yet some people just dont get it

Its simple they are trying to appeal to casual players who are the main core of any game. Gwent already won over many hardcore card games players but the game cannot survive on those players alone.
I dont mind the new UI as long as we are seeing new cards , new updates and new additions.

Played yesterday late afternoon, won my Round against a far higher Enemy with my new assembled Skellige Deck. Great, i think. Took me a while to assemble it. Finally got it working with a decent winrate.
Early evening, logged in again. Update appeared... ugh! My eyes hurt for the first ten minutes. All way too much cartoonish, ugly as a french manga!

Combining the Deck Builder with the Collection to create cards, good idea. Not perfect but one can adapt. I also like to see the cards of my assembled deck instead of just reading them.

The gameplay has become horrible! Where you guys on way too much Redbull©, Monster© or crack?????? The Card movements are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast! Every move i feel of having a seizure or stroke! I am not Hammy from Over the Hedge and cannot keep up.
Card Animations are really bad. The cards look like you downgraded them instead of HD and why did you take away the different appearances of cards like Shieldmaiden and Queensguard? Don't know if this happens on other faction as well, 'cause i only play Skellige.

And thanks for ruining my Deck.... again.

I really dont want to play my 3-6 Rounds a day for my 100ore anymore... you took the fun out of the game by nerfing usefull but not overpowerful cards. The new addition of cards is great and should continue but i want to adjust my Deck to counteract the new cards and gameplay they bring, not to rebuild it because my cards have been downgraded and wont work against older cards anymore.

Very disappointed in the look and feel of this update. Yes some of the new feature are an improvement but the game looks so CHEAP now. So out of style of the Witcher universe. It feel like im playing a fruit machine. The pace is too quick yet fells clunky at the same time. The CARDS in the CARD game no longer look like cards ...
One step forward THREE steps back

I was looking forward to spending hours of my boring XMAS playing but the experience and enjoyment has been ruined for me. How could CDPR get this so wrong

I think they should revert to the old UI when you spawn/create a card - you will see the three cards perfectly fine in a good size and with the great art and everything (two if you are tossing a Cantarella or Thaler or whatever).

In general the color is way too bright and the cards feel a bit scattered. Maybe they should make them to overlap themselves a bit like in a real card deck, like:

Maybe without the curve, but in general something like that.

Also, please return the Spies Eye icon. It's so confusing right now.

Last edited:
Horrible, horrible update.

- Removal of Names and Clan descritption takes away a lof of immersion. I change nobody asked for
- Most of the new sound effects are awful. Especially damage sounds like from the Imperial Enforcer. Didn't you want to simulate two armies batteling each other? There is "weight" missing behing the sounds now.
- The animations are way too fast and don't look natural anymore. Im playing this game since the beginning of closed Beta and sometimes I don't even know what the enemy is actually doing.
- Some effects look more cartoonish now like Thunder or Consume. Im combination with the new animations and the very visible +1,-2 etc power changes, there seems to be a clear shift into a more bright and childish direction, which I don't like at all.
- I'm glad we can see all of our mulligan at once now but why make it with a bland white background?
- Removal of interesting abilities and giving these cards generic ones
- I love the new duel mechanics. This is exactly the complexity Gwent needs. Unfortunately it doesnt safe all the other simplifications
- The new event is disappointing. I would have liked a bit more voice acting and it being more difficult again. The expert challenges were easier than the normal challenges from the last events.
- The cards look like tokens now. The one things that Gwent does better than any other game is the card art. So why do you try to butcher it?

Overall it's the first time i believe the game is going into a wrong direction. I don't know if you want to prepare it for a mobile release or make it more like Hearthstone because you are not happy with the growth of the game. But I don't think alienating the people who started playing the game because it's set in the Witcher world and then trying to get away from that world is a smart move.
Im really disappointed. More so that you launched the patch a day after the PTR (what waseven the point`?) without listening to any of the critism you got for it.

Last edited:
It's just a symptom of today's gaming industry disease, the lowest common denominator. I can understand that from a business perspective. You want more people to play your game, so you can maximize profits. And for Gwent, a game that released in a sea of other CCGs, it's a hard road.

But just because I understand it, I don't have to like it. I think this isn't a good direction to take Gwent in. A good game will sell. So instead of chasing HS, do your own thing. Gwent had a unique feel to it. Instead of flashy lights and colours, it opted for a more gritty look. The gameplay felt like two armies clashing and everything from the card looks, through card visual effects to the board look really brought that to life. With each major update that atmosphere was somewhat ruined, be it by changing visual effects or gameplay features.

Gwent might never reach HS level of players. But is that such a big deal? If all games strive to satisfy the lowest common denominator, what's the point of making games? They all end up the same.

CDPR, I understand your views as a company but please think this through. Witcher, and with that Gwent, has a really good, gritty atmosphere. Keep it for Gwent. Focus on balancing the game (last few patches show you're getting better at it) adding new game modes and improving features, like adding the new deckbuilder/collection combo. A good game will do well. Streamlining everything hurts the game. Hardcore fans don't like it and casuals won't care. Why would they switch to a HS wannabe when they can just keep playing HS? Gwent's biggest strength is it's gritty looks and more tactical gameplay than other CCGs. Work on those, instead of trying to chase after casuals, who'll likely get bored of everything, flashy colors or not.

After giving it another chance today I am still really not pleased about this update. Still I will mention few positives as well.
- The idea to merge Deckbuilder and collection was a good one. The execution a bit less so, but it is a step in the right direction.
- Addressing the issue of not being able to see the graveyard while choosing cards is good. The graphics of the graveyard and mulligan screen are not. Simply ugly.
- Some effects look nicer. Zapping with Alzur's thunder for example. Some are almost tolerable like overdose(and AOE effects in general). The number popups are horrible. From visual perspective they are probably the worst thing for me. As someone said, looks like a fruit machine. Summoned units like Dun banner, Golems or even raiders are popping out everywhere now because of agility. Looks and feels like RNG fiesta because of it.
- the red/blue coin looks cheaper and more cartoony. In fact pretty much everything looks more cheap, more childish and more glittery. Like someone made a Visual mode to make it appeal to HS fans.
- The ways that cards are played is a special issue. This drag/drop/one click two click is confusing and very not elegant. Also when opponent plays a card it now shows it face down for a while for some reason(probably during the time opponent chooses where to place it). Doesn't look really nice and it gives a feeling like the game is lagging.
- the re connection thing is a separate issue, that i won't comment until i experience more of it, both sides. Positive that they are tackling the issue.

and the list goes on... card names, descriptions...
But hey, I am sure it will look great on a cellphone...
:facepalm:

p.s.
not a topic here so I am not even going to go into the balance and game mechanics...

nemirni;n10053301 said:
After giving it another chance today I am still really not pleased about this update. Still I will mention few positives as well.
- The idea to merge Deckbuilder and collection was a good one. The execution a bit less so, but it is a step in the right direction.
- Addressing the issue of not being able to see the graveyard while choosing cards is good. The graphics of the graveyard and mulligan screen are not. Simply ugly.
- Some effects look nicer. Zapping with Alzur's thunder for example. Some are almost tolerable like overdose(and AOE effects in general). The number popups are horrible. From visual perspective they are probably the worst thing for me. As someone said, looks like a fruit machine. Summoned units like Dun banner, Golems or even raiders are popping out everywhere now because of agility. Looks and feels like RNG fiesta because of it.
- the red/blue coin looks cheaper and more cartoony. In fact pretty much everything looks more cheap, more childish and more glittery. Like someone made a Visual mode to make it appeal to HS fans.
- The ways that cards are played is a special issue. This drag/drop/one click two click is confusing and very not elegant. Also when opponent plays a card it now shows it face down for a while for some reason(probably during the time opponent chooses where to place it). Doesn't look really nice and it gives a feeling like the game is lagging.
- the re connection thing is a separate issue, that i won't comment until i experience more of it, both sides. Positive that they are tackling the issue.

and the list goes on... card names, descriptions...
But hey, I am sure it will look great on a cellphone...
:facepalm:

p.s.
not a topic here so I am not even going to go into the balance and game mechanics...

You read my mind. I feel the exact same way.
I think the menus and deckbuilder is fine overall, though it's not as fun to see your freshly built deck in a list as it is having the cards spread out across the screen. Building a larger deck also requires scrolling so you cant see all the cards in your deck at once which isn't great.

The new graphics and effects when playing a game however... Urgh, it doesn't feel good at all. Sure, I might get used to it but everything feels a lot more childish and cartoony, which doesn't fit the Witcher style at all. And not just the graphics, but the weak sounds and sluggish animations ftoo. Dealing damage with the Battering ram for example sounds like a slap or a whip. Mahakam ale sends out green beams of light. Sure I get that it's boosting but it doesn't fit the card. The childish art style is the biggest reason why I don't play Hearthstone. I rather go with Magic. I'm really surprised that you CDPR changed the effects at all, cause I think the were great as they were. It didn't need changing.

Sad day. 400h of Gwent but now I don't know if I will keep playing. I will have to test it out a bit more, but tbh I rather hope that CDPR reverts back to the old style.

Last edited:
I seriously don't understand anyone who says the game is running smooth. My game is lagging as hell, while on the previous version it worked nice. Like I can't even do the daily 42 wins to get the first 3 tiers in anymore due to how long it takes, used to be 5mins/win now its 10min+

Doydl;n10055481 said:
I seriously don't understand anyone who says the game is running smooth. My game is lagging as hell, while on the previous version it worked nice. Like I can't even do the daily 42 wins to get the first 3 tiers in anymore due to how long it takes, used to be 5mins/win now its 10min+

Well it does seem to lag more to me. It crashed few times as well which didn't happen before.
But from those tech issues i am most concerned about disconnecting, which is ironic since they addressed the issue now. Thing is, before the game would disconnect maybe once in 100 games for me, sometimes for the opponent sometimes for me, but the point is rarely. Now i seem to be getting that reconnect screen almost every second game. It still reconnects, but it puts my nerves on the edge every time. Maybe the game now registers every small lag as a potential disconnect or something, but is sure as hell is not reassuring:).

Interesting thing though, a game disconnected completely yesterday, not sure on whose side, but it ended up in a draw. Does that mean both side connection crashed or ?

Top Bottom