Massive performance drop on cities.

+
Massive performance drop on cities.

Since patch 1.10 i've been having a massive perfomance drop on cities, game runs just fine on the wilderness and small villages, but anytime i get to Oxenfurt or Novigrad my frames can drop to as low as 35fps, with massive stutter caused by sudden frame variation.

As i said i've been having this problem since patch 1.10, even when i had no mods installed and haven't edited the .ini file.

My specs are:

RAM: 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
CPU: i5-4690k no overclock
GPU: Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 980 with a 200Mhz memory and 135Mhz Core Overclock
mobo: Asus Z97m-plus/br
1TB HDD 7200rpm

Also i tried verifying game integrity on GOG Galaxy but i didn't solve the problem, even after downloading almost 3GB of files, and i don't think i can re-download the game all over again, i have a slow internet connection and that would take me weeks to finnish.

I would love ot be able to fix this problem, i wanted to finish this playthough after having read all the books, but with this performance it's really difficult to play without getting headaches :hurt:.

Me too!
Before the 1.11 patch i was playing the 1.08 version, everything was fine, i was getting 60fps even in the cities, but now my frames drops 45 ~ 35 in Novigrad for exemple.

My specs are
RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
CPU: AMD FX8320 @ 4700Mhz
GPU: AMD R9 290X 1150/1555
MOBO: GA FXA-990-UD3
SSD: Sandisk X300 240GB
HDD: 2x500GB WD Blue Raid 0.

I already format my system, and reinstall the game, and nothing. I also replace de ini files and nothing too.

The game engine wants to run at 30 FPS, and it will tolerate 60 FPS. Those who are trying to run it at high FPS will be in for trouble. Try to get it running stably at 60 FPS. Frame limiter is your friend. Be sure your monitor refresh is set at 60 or 120.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes in TW3, so do whatever you can to be sure you're not pushing your hardware to the limit. In the most recent patches, adjustments were made to the engine to cut down on pop-in and increase stability, and this will cost you FPS. I'm running an i7-4790K and GTX 980 ti, and I dropped from a solid 60 FPS in cities to the 50's. Occasionally (in the "sink" areas), I'll even dip into the 40's. It's an engine issue. CDPR continues to tweak and fiddle! It'll likely improve in future patches.

Thing is i'm sitting at arround 60-65% GPU usage on cities while my fps is in the lower 40s, and almsot anywhere else outside the cities i can hold 60fps 95% of the time.

Last edited:
The game come back to normal here, i replace de render.ini i thing for a render.ini of the 1.08 that i had here.
Now the game are running at 60 fps again.
But sincerely, i dont know if was the ini file or not.

Poor performance in Novigrad

:geraltsad:I think that more than once here in this forum knows about the performance issue in Novigrad. My game version is the 1.10, and in many zones of that area I have stutter and lag while running, if I walk i don´t have stutter. I fixed a little bit modifying the gc.ini (I changed ObjectMemoryTrigger to 512) but the problems still.
Out of Novigrad the games runs very smooth without any lag or stutter.

So, if you Cd Projektred see this, please fix the performance and optimize novigrad.

Things I've tried fixing the problem:
-I set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1
-I activated Shader cache
-I used witcher 3 configurator
-I reduced all settings
-I set number of background characters to low
-I modified lod distance

Thanks for reading, I hope the 1.12 solve the performance in novigrad.

My PC:
Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz
8 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz (Dual channel)
XFX R7 370 2 GB DDR5
WD BLACK 1 TB

---------- Updated at 01:10 AM ----------

The game come back to normal here, i replace de render.ini i thing for a render.ini of the 1.08 that i had here.
Now the game are running at 60 fps again.
But sincerely, i dont know if was the ini file or not.

could you send me the ini file?
my email is wwf64@live.com

---------- Updated at 04:52 AM ----------

Does someone have the render.ini of the 1.08?

If the answer is yes please send me to this e-mail
wwf64@live.com

Last edited:
Sorry bro, the game come back to 45fps.
I dont know what the hell is this, but so many people are having the same issue.
I'm tired...

I dont know.
I had this issue in windows 8.1 too, but solve him installing Riva Turner Statistic Server. What he does, i dont know, but he solved my problem on windows 8.1
In that ocasion, i rec this vídeo. But i dont know if is possible to see that. The video start with Riva Turner disable, after the first cut, i enable this.
Look and tell me if you see the difference.
Without RTSS 45/60 fps
With RTSS 60fps always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93Im4Q6qUY

v1.11 The Witcher 3 Framedrops

To start : i played this game over 260+ hours from when it came out untill November 2015 ( version 1.08 )
I ALWAYS had 60 fps 0 drops and that im 1920x1080 and every setting to its max except Nvidia Hairworks its Geralt Only and 2xAA.
So i decided to play this game again.. GOG updated my game to version 1.11 and then....

i started to get random framedrops / stuttering / and worse of all.. I NEVER had framedrops in Novigrad version 1.01 to 1.08 = 0 framedrops
version 1.10 = Framedrops from 60 to 35 in Novigrad and it goes all over the place. Freeroaming the land it stays 60 entering a small town the game struggles to maintain 60 fps and tends to drop to 55 and back up to 60. This is completely new ... i never experienced this in previous versions..

Updated NVIDIA driver 359.06 , changing ingame settings, reading all kind of suggestions from the forum like disabeling and enabeling SLi, verifying the integrity of the game but none did help me from preventing the framedrops.

READ CAREFULLY : i NEVER had framedrops before only AFTER version 1.11.
i5 @ 4690K@4.1 HZ 16GB DDR3 GTX 970 Sli Windows 10 64bit Nvidia driver 359.06

So what to do now ? wait for 1 .12 ?

you need a better gpu for higher and more stable stable fps, recommended 3gb or 4gb vram gpu

I have a massive fps drops in the swamp, everywhere else is 60+ fps always, but in the swamp fprs drops to 35-40
i7 4790k
gtx 970 3,5gb vram
16 gb ram

Last edited:
need a better GPU ?!? For what ? I already have a high end GPU 2 in fact! GTX970 .. What a absurd statement.
Like i told before, i never had problems before with my GPU's, 0 framedrops even in the big cities i had 60 fps ALL the time and that before patch 1.11. Same ingame settings. A month ago before the patch i go to a village or Novigrad ... i can run it in 60 fps pannning around with the camera 0 framedrops i go to a crowded village 0 framedrops... month later game patch 1.11 i go to the EXACT SAME SPOTS in the same villages and the same spots in Novigrad i repreduce the exact same things i did BAMMMMM frames tanks down from 60 to 55 and in villages stutters al the time because of that Novigrad is a No Go area from 60 to 35......
How do you explain that ? My GPU ????? If i redownload the game and DONT patch it and i go to hese spots again 60 FPS all the time ..

oh yeah then its definitelytime to throw more money for 2 new GPU's... ?!? Excuse me while i go rob a bank..

I had the same problem. I use the GTX 980 TI and in towns and villages, I had 35-45 fps. FPS has not changed even at the low details. In towns and villages GPU Usage 60% CPU Usage of 60-70%. and always at 40 fps

I solved the problem like this:
I turned off NVidia Shadowplay
I turned off the Nvidia Streaming (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Find Nvidia Network Service Streamer and Streamer Nvidia Service and disable them)
And on the last OFF GAME OVERLAY in the GOG client (Witcher 3 - More - Configure down and find game overlay and off

That's all ... The game should be running smoothly again.

Last edited:
Running an eVGA GTX 980 ti (6 MB DDR5 VRAM), and a i7-4790K

I will dip from 60 FPS into the high 40's at times while in Novigraad or Oxenfurt. There is only so much a GPU can do, the are also limitations set by the engine. TW3 has a lot of stuff going on and this is going to impact FPS. (It's not a shooter. Even GTA V does not have 1/3rd of the processing and calculations occurring.)

Most users need to try to stabilize their FPS, not shoot for higher FPS. If you're getting wild swings, lower your FPS limit. You can do this manually in user.settings to get a value between 30 and 60. 45 FPS is pretty smooth for the game. You may notice a bit of stutter in the distance, but it's not bad. Even if you set it to 50, the drop from 50 and 40 will be far less jarring than 60 to 40.

If you are experiencing bad dips even at 45, then I'm afraid your GPU simply can't do more than 30 (if that!). Playing at 30 is not that bad (I played almost the entirety of my first playthrough on a laptop, 30 FPS, low-medium settings). Adjusting to low but steady FPS is far easier than jumping between "silky smooth" and "slide-show". It's the difference that the eye find uncomfortable, not low FPS.

1.) So be sure you're not asking too much of your system -- pick a frame limit your rig can maintain.
2.) Be sure your refresh rate is set to either 60 Hz or 120 Hz, don't use 144 Hz+ (Havok doesn't like it).
3.) Play with Vsync on/off. Figure out what works best for you. (This works very differently on different systems.)
4.) Nvidia users, be sure "Frames to render ahead" is set to 1.
5.) Try playing with a controller -- gaming mice contain hardware acceleration that TW3 seems to conflict with in certain situations, resulting in stutter that has nothing to do with your GPU.

Have you had any progress on a fix? Back in early December I had put in a little over 100 Hrs into this game on an older system,Win1, i7 875k, 16GB DDR3[4x4], Asus P7P55 WS Mobo, GTX 680 2gb. With a mix of medium and high settings I played through that 100 hrs with dips no lower than 35fps but average of 45. Around the beginning of January I built a new system.
Win10, i7-6700k[4.2Ghz], 16gb ddr4[2x8], Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1, GTX 970 4gb, games running off 2 PNY XLR8 240GB SSD's. Now I can run Witcher 3 locked 60fps out in the open world, but as soon as I hit any of the cities my FPS tanks to 20-30fps, 30-40% gpu usage 25% average usage across all 8 threads.
I've turned off geforce experience services including streaming, disabled Windows 10 built in recording garbage, Core Parking off along with all C-States, DPC Latency is fine, disable Avast AV when playing, NV Inspector set to render ahead 1, Threaded OP on, P-Managment Max, unload chrome from back-grounding, disabled all overlay software, disabled logitech setpoint, deleted user.settings to be sure no weird tweaks were carried over.
I'm at a loss, it's frustrating. This is the one and only game I'm having issues with. Just got an Oculus CV1 and everything is butter smooth, along with the 100 games on steam and another 15-30 on origin and uplay.
The Witcher 3 is hands down the best RPG ever made in my book, it's so damn disappointing to have it be the one game that now won't run for well after the expansions have come out.

There are many mods on Nexus, I suggest you try a mod no crowd and pedestrians. It will remove most of the npc's, but leave important ones in tact and doesn't remove all of them. It also removes traffic. It gave me a boost from 45 fps to 100 in cities. Personal choice of course. :)

Top Bottom