Master Mirror: Most broken cards

+
How exactly is Ethereal "unstoppable"? I had to check the card on playgwent to be sure, but its a 4pt unit, with no armor, shield or veil, how does that qualify as unstoppable?
Yes its a 3pt engine, but its not the first - at the top of my mind, SY's Saul with Max Hoard effect, immediately boosts to 7pt out of removal range... that is way more unstoppable.
If you remove one there will always be another copy left, please look at its description more diligently. Only easy way I see is lock to stop it.

I don't think amnesty is gonna be as bad as most people think since it has the devotion tag. Not being able to run neutrals is a pretty big price to pay especially since neutral tutors are so broken :p. The provision cost does seem too low still to be fair.

I hope I am misreading (or interpreting) ethereal; if not, it will be a monster with monster decks. Unless an opponent has multiple row removal, it is not hard to aline 7 or 8 drones in a row. Play ethereal on the left of the row. At turn end, it changes the leftmost drone (the one to the right of the played ethereal) into another ethereal. Because of the sequencing, the new ethereal transforms the next drone, and so on down the line — all in one turn. This is a 25 point play requiring little set up and only a couple of cheap bronze cards (or a leader ability) beyond the ethereal itself. Of course, this might be exactly what monsters need to be competitive.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
How exactly is Ethereal "unstoppable"? I had to check the card on playgwent to be sure, but its a 4pt unit, with no armor, shield or veil, how does that qualify as unstoppable?
Yes its a 3pt engine, but its not the first - at the top of my mind, SY's Saul with Max Hoard effect, immediately boosts to 7pt out of removal range... that is way more unstoppable.
Imagine Ethereal getting played by Arachas Swarm or Gerni (or any MO deck, as all of them have the potential to spawn 4 drones in a row with the 4p card). On the turn they play Ethereal, there are two Ethereals. If you kill or lock one the other one will keep doing its job. We can make it harder for them by locking the one on the right so they will have to play between them for the first one to keep doing the job, but the locked one can be consumed so that the first one keeps doing its job.

Unless you kill two of them in one turn, it is actually an unstoppable engine! Saul can be reset or tall punished and this needs to be row punished. I would say this is a bigger nuisance than Saul as Saul can't be played in turn one and he needs some setup. I would definitely try this with Arachas Swarm and Gerni (and then get fked by Hefty and Amnesy and I would realise.. 'ooh we are playing Gwent, so lets not play any engines and move to some other swarm decks or NG' and give up on that)

Etheral suffers from the same problem a lot of MO suffers already. It doesn't allow much control options. And moreover it can be hard countered by locks, movement and row punishment.
I can see it as a strong meme deck, but not as a competitive one.

Concerning the Echo cards, the main question concerning the power is if they are placed on top of the deck before or after the card draw phase. Their wording implies the latter, which means if you play them in round 2, you won't be able to get them in round 3 without card draw. And that makes them already a lot worse.

And Amnesty is an abomination, but I don't think it will have that much impact. A dedicated NG deck wrecks NR already completly. Amnesty won't make that much of a difference there. And outside an Assimilation deck, I don't think it will be that strong against other factions.

Last edited:
A dedicated NG deck wrecks NR already completly. Amnesty won't make that much of a difference there.

Following to Your reasoning why stop on broken amnesty than? let's geave NG more overpowered sieze, lock, poison and removal cards, whats the difference? They are already enough strong to wreak every NR deck, so more cards won't change anything

DRK3

Forum veteran
Imagine Ethereal getting played by Arachas Swarm or Gerni (or any MO deck, as all of them have the potential to spawn 4 drones in a row with the 4p card). On the turn they play Ethereal, there are two Ethereals. If you kill or lock one the other one will keep doing its job. We can make it harder for them by locking the one on the right so they will have to play between them for the first one to keep doing the job, but the locked one can be consumed so that the first one keeps doing its job.

Unless you kill two of them in one turn, it is actually an unstoppable engine! Saul can be reset or tall punished and this needs to be row punished. I would say this is a bigger nuisance than Saul as Saul can't be played in turn one and he needs some setup. I would definitely try this with Arachas Swarm and Gerni (and then get fked by Hefty and Amnesy and I would realise.. 'ooh we are playing Gwent, so lets not play any engines and move to some other swarm decks or NG' and give up on that)

My bad, it seems i didnt think this through, i was thinkiing you could simply lock or do 4pt removal and "stop the train", but its not that simple as you pointed it out.
Now i see why its "unstoppable" - because there are very few ways to deal with 2 engines in the same turn, and if you deal with one by removing or locking, there will always be 2 or more left so that wont help at all.
Still, with arachas you only have 5 tokens, so im guessing a Gerni deck will be more appropriate for it.

And i thought the 'ethereal propagation' could be geometric (1-2-4-8) but that is not the case since even if you have many, their effect will always only affect one unit.

But it gave me an ideia for a deck - all you need is an ethereal and a strays of spalla with gerni leader, then fill both rows with ethereals and spend the remaining cards on specials to boost and damage, since those dont take up board slots :shrug:

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
With a little bit of setup (1 ping) Amnesty can size the engine. Not only stealing a high provision card but also using it against you.
Control is already in a decent position against engines. Adding such a oppressive card is just beyound me.

This reminds me of how the Nor catapult thingy got nerfed to prevent it being able to deal damage to units on any row when it was inspired. That was a ridiculous nerf imo but I suppose that many people must have complained about it for the devs to want to nerf it. That was back in the day when I played the Nor deck. Since then, that deck has seen people play the most ridiculously BS OP units...where they keep gaining charges and can remove any big unit from your side as a result.

Just ridiculous what gets nerfed and what doesn't.

Top Bottom