Matchmaking Issues

+
Matchmaking Issues

OK just started played a few hands, understand the witcher 3 game quite well but OMG if feels like you get the shit kicked out of you every game , with no way to win.
Am I supposed to just buy my way to a competent deck? Last game I played I started round 3 the opposition had 80pts stuck to the board from the start what???
Sure might be fun for someone but I am not playing any more

Attachments

• photo101100.jpg
    photo101100.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 248
I'm fearing that many people will misinterpret the game's fast-pace style. Developers are also aiming to creating a "hearthstone" where a player's not required to buy expansion packs to remain competitive. This game's basically a "3-turns" chess match.

Don't get me wrong, I've lost more than I've won, but it's mainly helped me shape the deck I'm using now. Don't give up man C:

An easy way to solve it. Make a noob mode like now but with limitation to 2 gold and 4 silver cards and level ~10-20. After that level the normal mode is open and also in this normal mode you pick deck after you see faction of your enemy.

Yeah limitation to a certain amount of gold and silver sounds like a pretty good idea. I wouldn't restrict it to a level though since it can be that an experienced player for example wants to try out a different faction for the first time. In that case a high level doesn't mean he/she can handle these cards yet :)

Last edited:
Matchmaking unfair?

I have been playing for a while now, and I am constantly pitted against players with a far superior deck than I have. Moreover, i cannot get a better deck of cards as there is no xp for losses. Does this game intentionally shit on players that have not been grinding since day one of the beta?

I've been posting a similar experience in other threads. I started playing yesterday and am something like 3 wins after a dozen games.

People are suggesting I mill cards in order to craft a better deck, but i literally cannot even reach level 3 in order to do so.

I am clearly being matched against people who are using more than just the 'starter' decks.

Ergo, the matchmaking system is fundamentally broken at this point, at least for new players.

Lytha;n6936780 said:
Nope. You're supposed to do a variety of:

(a) look at the cards and tweak the starter deck until it works better
(b) walk over to the Tactician forum here and check it for cheap and easy newbie decks. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/tactician-s-corner
(c) walk over to www.gwentdb.com and do the same, in case that our Tactician's Corner shouldn't suffice.

I know the game well enough to know I didnt have a hope no matter how many tricks I had., getting blastred fro > 200pts with near half of them staying on the board in between rounds isnt something I could have dealt with at all.

if the MM pits me against someone who I cant ever beat time after time its broken

adamgranato;n6938000 said:
I have been playing for a while now, and I am constantly pitted against players with a far superior deck than I have. Moreover, i cannot get a better deck of cards as there is no xp for losses. Does this game intentionally shit on players that have not been grinding since day one of the beta?

We did some fixing to matchmaking recently.

Your experience form before was likely facing much stronger decks and more experienced players due to some problems with the system. I can see from our data that since that update you've only played 3 games, 1 of which you have won.

robdickinson;n6938640 said:
I know the game well enough to know I didnt have a hope no matter how many tricks I had., getting blastred fro > 200pts with near half of them staying on the board in between rounds isnt something I could have dealt with at all.

if the MM pits me against someone who I cant ever beat time after time its broken

We had some issues previously with matchmaking which were recently improved. I can see that you've only played 3 games since then, one of which you won.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in one specific game, but that strategy can be countered in a number of ways.

A system like this takes time to evolve and also your MMR needs to stabalize based on your performance, which is difficult when you've only played a handful of games. Expecting to go into a game and have a perfect match off the start is unrealistic, especially when we have such little data.

We now match you as appropriately as we can and as we collect more data we will improve upon the system.

Rethas;n6939840 said:
We now match you as appropriately as we can and as we collect more data we will improve upon the system.

I've been getting an insane amount of 'Service Interrupted, please check your connection' messages lately - my internet is fine, is this due to a change in MM? It's starting to get on my tits, I only wanna win 2 games for a pack :p

I've noticed the Ghoul disrupts game play when he eats a guy and I check the GY really quick (I try to rush it so I can see who he ate before it disappears). The game just ends abruptly before I can take in what happened - and provide info yet other times it works fine.

Last edited:
Rethas;n6939840 said:
I think matchmaking should also factor in relative deck strength. It's a pain when you have the starter cards + 2-3 better cards and the opponents all have lots of better ones.

Unplayable due to matchmaking

I've now lost over 10 games in a row, and I don't see any way I will win one. My winrate is probably about 10%. Every single game I get matched against some dude who is either like 50 levels ahead of me or has spent real money on the game. My foes decks are simply superior compared to mine, which will never improved since I do not get any reward. I don't really feel like milling everything I got to make a decent deck, which will still be worse than the decks I play against. What am I supposed to do? I really like CD Projekt Red and their games, and I really want to enjoy this one, but it is just impossible.

blotunga;n6942670 said:
I think matchmaking should also factor in relative deck strength. It's a pain when you have the starter cards + 2-3 better cards and the opponents all have lots of better ones.
You're being completely delusional. Deck strength, really? When did a game of cards rely solely on the cards but not the player? Not to mention no algorithm could be able to evaluate a deck's strength, as it comes from many factors (cards interactions, player decisions, matchup,...) Calculate them? Nope.
It's only possible to match due to winrate (for casual) or MMR (ranked).

rizzaxc;n6943360 said:
You're being completely delusional. Deck strength, really? When did a game of cards rely solely on the cards but not the player? Not to mention no algorithm could be able to evaluate a deck's strength, as it comes from many factors (cards interactions, player decisions, matchup,...) Calculate them? Nope.
Why? A deck with one gold, one silver vs 2 gold, 4 silver is that fair?

I'm going to give you a huge +1 on your statement. I only played one game of Gwent and already I'm going to give up.
It's not that I don't enjoy challenging opponents but for my first game I played against someone who was either of a much higher level than I am, or payed for cards in the game. Also, as I can read I am not the only one is this situation.

For now, I'm very disappointed and won't replay until this is fixed. I remember when the game was announced, CD Project said multiplayer would be balanced and everyone would have the same cards. All the skill would be based on deck building and not the money or time you spend in the game.

On the other hand, I don't forget this is only a beta version, and I'm still looking forward for the final game, but right now, the game is not enjoyable nor fun.

Also, I cannot imagine how this is going to last either. Players who invests money in the game are going to lack challenge and will likely stop pretty quickly.

rizzaxc;n6943360 said:
Not to mention no algorithm could be able to evaluate a deck's strength, as it comes from many factors (cards interactions, player decisions, matchup,...) Calculate them? Nope.

A basic algorithm could work out that a player with a hand of gold and silver cards would trounce a hand with much lower level cards though. Strategy is one thing, and to be fair I've had a great time with my opponents so far. But when I get mismatched with someone with a deck obviously above or below my deck it's just not fun.

Well, from CDPR Rethas (link below) the current match maker (MMR) takes game data points to improve matching. If you don't give up; then the more you play the better the matching will be. Buying Kegs is not required (and not wholly beneficial - if you read many of the Keg threads - though it does help fill in the bronze common slots for new players). If you make it to level three you can start milling but I would always caution against the "mill all but one faction strategy. Generally not a good idea.

What I did was play each faction, and change the decks often (made a second deck for every faction to test more cards), I even used most of them in the practice room just to get a better idea of how some cards functioned. Once I knew what cards I didn't like or could pinpoint as really needing a specific strategy to make work (Pirates and Queensguard in Skellige, for example) I milled those to focus on the strategies I thought I could make work with what I had. Once I reached level 5, I started at least winning enough to get 2 levels (and 2 Kegs) per day. Then the collection really started to fill out and my chosen strategies started coming together. I only recently started getting to where I could craft Epics once in a while (the 200 craft).

A lot of focus is put on the Gold and Silver cards (Legends and Epics) but the meat of any deck is having 3 ea. of the bronzes you need to keep it working and keeping the deck count low (I still have problems with this, and most of my decks are 30 cards instead of 25).

Stop crying. Quit if you want to, but don't claim people spending lots of time on the game shouldn't have an advantage over you.If you spend more time on something, any game, you are going to become better, and get more items, just play and get better. And for not wanting to pay, I know when I get this game I am going to spend 10-20 euro as a contribution to CD Red for their great game and past games such as Witcher 3. I don't see a problem with spending money, every card game has the same. Basically every card game is f2p but is P2W if you want to do really really well

Top Bottom