Matchmaking Issues

+
Casual matchmaking AKA ranked 2.0

This is a community problem and not something the devs can ever fix. Casual is supposed to be the place for wonky decks and new players, so why the fudge are there people, who are above rank 10 and have the card to copy the top 3 Gwentdb decks, ruining casual matchmaking? Seriously, I am really curious about this one.
In Gwent culture, this is considered a dick move

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes players run a couple of test matches after major changes to their deck to see if its working well, played 3-4 games myself in CB when switched from Foltest to Henselt deck.

Mombamambo;n8804820 said:
This is a community problem and not something the devs can ever fix. Casual is supposed to be the place for wonky decks and new players, so why the fudge are there people, who are above rank 10 and have the card to copy the top 3 Gwentdb decks, ruining casual matchmaking? Seriously, I am really curious about this one.
In Gwent culture, this is considered a dick move

Fact is, right now Ranked is for either the elite (good players but also those good players are privileged as they received a ridiculous amount of kegs, making it nigh on impossible for newbies or even experienced F2pers to win a match), or ppl who think they're awesome because they netdeck. Every single deck is the same, played the same way. I rarely see anyone with an original deck. I was loving open beta but now it's just awful. There's absolutely no way to make headway if you don't have all the perfect cards. Therefore: Casual. And people are quite entitled to play casual if they like. Casual is NOT what YOU define it to be, it is for people to play as they see fit.

I'm glad you're curious and now you know ;) The dick move is people netdecking.

Gość

Today you don't need to be a genius to build your deck and play it. Just use Google>gwent deck> copy the deck>tutorial how to play like a pro>open GWENT game>play. Pride none!

Moderator's reminder to all: Although we realise certain behaviour can be very frustrating and annoying, please, be polite on the Forums. There's no need to insult fellow players here. Thank you.

Yep, casual is kinda frustrating now. I'm slightly above level 10 and 70-80% of games are against three deck archetypes - Nilfgaard John Calveit with spy/deck thinning sheneningans and this 25-str Gold guy as a finisher, Skellige Queensgard resurrection and for some reason Eridin wild hunt/frost deck. I don't see any experementation in here.

Northern Realms almost non-existent. I encountered Hensehlt only few times after 10th level, no Foltests or Radovids. There are no Francesca's (besides my own deck) and almost no Eitnes (saw her maybe two times max). Some people still try monsters consume deck with Elder guy but as they loose most of the time against my deck I don't think they were succesful at that.

Skellige without queensgard or at least Morkvaag and card with headless guy (forget his name) also not present in Casual. It is all Calveit, Bran, Eridin, Calveit, Bran, Eridin, ad infinitum.

For me casual is where i test and learn decks before i take them to ranked. I guess it's the same for many other players. Obviously that will apply to netdecks aswell because the best deck will not win you games if you have no experience navigating it.

Mombamambo;n8804820 said:
Casual is supposed to be the place for wonky decks and new players, so why the fudge are there people, who are above rank 10 and have the card to copy the top 3 Gwentdb decks, ruining casual matchmaking? Seriously, I am really curious about this one.

personally, i wanna get my dailies done

TheDyingScotsman;n8805420 said:
The dick move is people netdecking.

i'm curious to know... what's the difference between someone who makes a tempo calviet list and someone who plays a tempo calviet list that they saw somewhere else?
either way, they're playing tempo calviet.

if anything, you should be complaining about the "pros" making their meta decks... if they didn't make the decks in the first place, there wouldn't be anything for people to copy ;)

Crueldwarf;n8806130 said:
Yep, casual is kinda frustrating now. I'm slightly above level 10 and 70-80% of games are against three deck archetypes - Nilfgaard John Calveit with spy/deck thinning sheneningans and this 25-str Gold guy as a finisher, Skellige Queensgard resurrection and for some reason Eridin wild hunt/frost deck. I don't see any experementation in here.

The reason these decks are played so much is because they are flat out the best 3 cheap decks you can make (although Skellige is rather expensive, so I'm a bit surprised at that). If you're starting out your collection Monsters is flat out the best deck to use because all of the other decks require key combo cards you don't have. NG is the best deck that requires minimal crafting to get it to work. I don't think there's another deck in the game that is as cheap and effective as NG. Monsters is better in the budget department, but not as strong.

The main problem doesn't seem to be that these decks are flat out broken (maybe NG a bit). It seems it's more to do with there being no other viable options for 95% of the player-base, and all the good counter decks are impossible for most people to create as well.

This gets into why people play these decks in casual. One reason might be they are testing a deck out before they take it to ranked. But, I think the main reason is most people don't have complete decks and are grinding to get a complete deck before going into ranked. The deck I mainly play now looks similar to the popular NG deck, but I'm missing golds and silvers that really tie the deck together. It's still good, but I don't feel that it's good enough that I can take it into ranked and win consistently. So I, like many others I'm sure, am in the long process of grinding out kegs so I can actually play ranked.

I'd happily play other factions, but they're all just too expensive to make good decks for. I'd love to play the good NR deck out there, or the special card ST deck, but I can't afford to sink a thousand+ scraps into them. NG and Monsters are the only viable options for me because I simply can't afford anything else. This is coming from someone who got 20 free kegs + scraps from closed beta and spent $20 on the game. I imagine it's a ton tougher for people who are just starting out.

DRK3

Forum veteran
To be honest, i kinda got afraid of playing Ranked. Im still very low on the ladder because im not sure what i would find on Ranked these days and since i keep making new decks (12 atm), i wanna play stress-free and tweak them, but usally when i find it's fine-tuned, i move on to the next deck.

Anyone that wants to play against my NR Foltest or SC Eithné (or pretty much anything) can add me, i promise they were all 100% done by me
:comeatmebro:

DRK3;n8807830 said:
To be honest, i kinda got afraid of playing Ranked. Im still very low on the ladder because im not sure what i would find on Ranked these days and since i keep making new decks (12 atm), i wanna play stress-free and tweak them, but usally when i find it's fine-tuned, i move on to the next deck.

Anyone that wants to play against my NR Foltest or SC Eithné (or pretty much anything) can add me, i promise they were all 100% done by me
:comeatmebro:

I completely understand your point, casual should be (at least IMO) a haven for people experimenting, learning new decks and for new players who are working on their deck/collection before going to ranked. My problem is the people who are above rank 10, participated in the closed beta and have a portrait rim that proves they can play competitively, yet they run carbon copy gwentDB top 5 ranked decks ( I understand people who take a new competitive deck for 2-3 games to learn how it plays before hitting ranked). My problem is NOT netdecking, my problem is people with competitive netdecks deliberately farming experimental/non complete decks in casual.

Well Casual is unranked for a reason , everyone can play. Just because your definition is that it's for crappy decks only doesn't mean it objectively is. And it's a competitive game , I really don't see what your gripe with netdecking is , ofc it will happen , people want to win. You won't win with having 10 half-done decks. I do agree that going full serious with a strong deck in casual is not necessary though.

Perhaps a solution would be to create a new gamemode called Testing Grounds , with some restrictions in place? I'll think about that and post a topic in Suggestions if no one did before.

OP is right. I've avarage rank now, 11, still learning the new meta but I run competetive decks, I play casual just to grind. Winrate is close to 100%. In casual i'm matched up against people that just hit level 10 and play basic geralt for instance. Nice for some quick grinding, but frustrating for people that don't run competetive decks.
Seems there is little matchmaking whatsoever in casual, this should be improved, ranking players in casual to ranked status seems fair imho, but exploits are always a problem.

RickMelethron;n8806780 said:
personally, i wanna get my dailies done

You get your dailies while doing ranked also.

friketje;n8810970 said:
OP is right. I've avarage rank now, 11, still learning the new meta but I run competetive decks, I play casual just to grind. Winrate is close to 100%. In casual i'm matched up against people that just hit level 10 and play basic geralt for instance. Nice for some quick grinding, but frustrating for people that don't run competetive decks.
Seems there is little matchmaking whatsoever in casual, this should be improved, ranking players in casual to ranked status seems fair imho, but exploits are always a problem.

Close to 100%? I'd love to see some proof of that. If it were true I think you'd be ranking a lot faster? I am rank 11 and struggling to get to rank 12 with a fairly competitive deck. In casual it's not much different since I seem to come across mostly high ranked players, not newbies

Last edited:
TheDyingScotsman;n8826810 said:
You get your dailies while doing ranked also.

and i'll be facing people at higher ranks using better decks, who are less willing to concede and take more time thinking about their moves

i'd rather stick to casual

TheDyingScotsman;n8826810 said:
Close to 100%? I'd love to see some proof of that. If it were true I think you'd be ranking a lot faster? I am rank 11 and struggling to get to rank 12 with a fairly competitive deck. In casual it's not much different since I seem to come across mostly high ranked players, not newbies

pretty sure he was saying the winrate in casual is close to 100%; and he didn't mention how quickly it took to get rank 11, so you can't assume if whether or not it took a long time or a few matches

Last edited:
Chitsun;n8827200 said:
Too much difference at lvl. and ranked like this in casual have to change.

Level means nothing. He can be a complete noob at 100 lvl while you can be a top-10 player with your 15 lvl. Matchmaking works with your MMR, not level, I think.

Top Bottom