Matchmaking still flawed?

+
I'd like to know how it ACTUALLY works too. I'm almost certain its not the way they say it does.

I don't really play this game to do hardcore ranked runs, and I have no interest in reaching pro ranks, mainly because of matchmaking. I don't even care when I get on a win streak because I know that as soon as I do they will pair me up with someone using a deck that seems designed to pick mine apart. In fact when I do get on a streak, usually 4 or 5 games, I usually stop playing for a few days or a week because I know whats coming.

I have wondered how many players on the more casual side like me have given up on the game because of the matchmaking.

Guest 4368268

I've been playing Gwent long enough to know there's no such thing as 'random' in its mechanics, gameplay or otherwise ;)
It's nothing to do with win or lose either. For every time I get 'screwed' out of a win be it by weird repetitive draws, coinflip streaks, deck based matchmaking, you name it, someone else lost to me because of something similar all the same. Of course when you're on the bad side of it is when you start paying closer attention to that sort of stuff.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not suggesting CDPR is deliberately trying to screw me or anyone over. It doesn't have to be on purpose (just look at the 'mulligan bug' in pre-homecoming Gwent) People just get a bit too defensive when you suggest things like this because they feel you're attributing your losses to it.

I'd like to know how it ACTUALLY works too. I'm almost certain its not the way they say it does.

I don't really play this game to do hardcore ranked runs, and I have no interest in reaching pro ranks, mainly because of matchmaking. I don't even care when I get on a win streak because I know that as soon as I do they will pair me up with someone using a deck that seems designed to pick mine apart. In fact when I do get on a streak, usually 4 or 5 games, I usually stop playing for a few days or a week because I know whats coming.

I have wondered how many players on the more casual side like me have given up on the game because of the matchmaking.

I sure did. I don't like HC in general, but it would've been an okay-ish game if not for balance they can't seem to fix and this matchmaking. It turns playing into a boring slog and frankly, why would I bother when there's ton of more fun games out there.

Just had to share this beautiful example of how matchmaking in Gwent works...

So, i dont know about you, but i havent used NG thin to zero, Tibor decks, and NG Mill is probably the deck i have most success against, it's way over 90% winrate.

But i was bored, so i decided to try Calanthe Portals, with Portal on all 3 rounds, which obviously thins like crazy... now all im matched against all of a sudden is NG Mill, which is just lovely...

I'd really like to know how matchmaking works as well as it very much seems like it's done based on deck analysis and specific deck match-ups (speculate on the reasons we can). Why does it take so long to search "for a worthy rival" when I pick another deck to play with, while if I keep playing with the same deck, this "worthy rival" is consistently found within a few seconds?

I'd really like to know how matchmaking works as well as it very much seems like it's done based on deck analysis and specific deck match-ups (speculate on the reasons we can). Why does it take so long to search "for a worthy rival" when I pick another deck to play with, while if I keep playing with the same deck, this "worthy rival" is consistently found within a few seconds?

It shouldn't happen if you pick a leader from the same faction.

Remember that matchmaking is done based on faction mmr so that if you have an unusual mmr (very high or very low) with one faction you will have trouble finding an opponent. When you switch faction your mmr change so matchmaking change.

It is particularly obvious in pro rank where above 2400 you encounter much stronger decks than below 2400.

Hi, I am a big fan of witcher universe and all witcher games. I have been playing witcher games for 6 years and I love gwent. Recently I started playing the game and found that matchmaking needs some balancing. I am a new player and I have less than 200 cards. I have only 3 legendary and 7/8 epic cards and as a new player my decks are pretty week. But I always get to play with the ones that are level 55 or above and have almost every cards unlocked. And I am not even close competing with them cause they have all the best cards. So I think matchmaking needs some balancing. Like new players should only get to play with the new ones.

Like new players should only get to play with the new ones.
You are playing with players like you in ranked, at least in the lower levels, you can climb to rank 10 very easly.
Unranked match is where most of the players in PROrank practice.

Hi, I am a big fan of witcher universe and all witcher games. I have been playing witcher games for 6 years and I love gwent. Recently I started playing the game and found that matchmaking needs some balancing. I am a new player and I have less than 200 cards. I have only 3 legendary and 7/8 epic cards and as a new player my decks are pretty week. But I always get to play with the ones that are level 55 or above and have almost every cards unlocked. And I am not even close competing with them cause they have all the best cards. So I think matchmaking needs some balancing. Like new players should only get to play with the new ones.

Avoid playing casual, I made the same mistake when I first started playing as well. I know it sounds weird but you will have a much more enjoyable experience playing ranked when you are a new player. As others have said in this thread, a lot of PRO rank players practice with custom decks in casual.

Avoid playing casual, I made the same mistake when I first started playing as well. I know it sounds weird but you will have a much more enjoyable experience playing ranked when you are a new player. As others have said in this thread, a lot of PRO rank players practice with custom decks in casual.

100% this. Casual tends to be for people playing a net-deck to a script, so you'll find it a lot less varied.

Guest 4336264

Having played in the Arena with various hands - some very strong and some quite weak - I feel confident in stating that this game (or the selection of opponent) is rigged. It's absolutely unbelievable the type of games that are lost, despite having a strong hand - or winning with a weak hand. it's quite plain that the games are not random, but an opponent is selected based on level of players and - it seems to me - the type of deck being played. Deny it all you want, I will not believe otherwise: this game is rigged!

Damn...more you play, more you understand that it's bullsh*t...Those matchmakings it's so stupid, you change one card in your deck and you starting to get completly other opponents...it could be called balance or whatever...I call it piss on face and tell that it's rain...why even try to build strong deck, anyways you won't build OP deck to get more victories than defeats, game just won't allow you...

I don't know what's happened to it. It's turned absolutely rancid. Just played against NG for the umpteenth time today alone and my opponent happened to have cards for absolutely everything.

I'm using SK with resurrect as leader ability. Naturally it's against NG and so I'd already lost Draco to Yenn:Invocation (of course). Then after some other bullpoop R3 theoppo plays Hefty. I CoC it. He plays Defender. I Korathi it. He plays Steffen. I Thunder it. He then plays Damian; nothing I can do. I play defender then resurrect my boat that damages by the armor amount to protect - naturally, he purifies the defender and seizes the boat. Next turn I play my armorer, he Sweers' the thing, which lands beside the boat. Next card he plays is Vilgefortz, destroys my 7 point defender and summons Iris:Shade from the deck. Utter bull. It's scripted, for wont of a better word The game might as well just flip a coin and say "right, you're losing the next game".

I'm struggling to find the interest in playing more than a handful of games every couple of days. It's getting noticeably worse, though, with the same decks on repeat - and the matchmaking is an utter piss take. Games aren't supposed to make you angry.

Rank is not dropping and everyone is stuck between 1-8 ranks with same decks, wining 1 match, losing 2 and stays in same place, everyone mixing like s**t in pot between each other....They should bring back this rank downgrade.

They should remove this pathetic matchmaking algorithm. I haven't seen Usurper in over a month. Play an Arachas deck reliant on leader ability, and HEY PRESTO - Usurpers back.

I don't quite know what CDPR are trying to achieve by fixing the matchmaking, but it makes it a wholly loathesome experience.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and then I decide to build a NG deck based loosely on assimilate. Very first match is against Syndicate, and the opponent just so happens to be able to play Portal, unchallenged, with two Seductress - obviously I'm creating a tonne of cards, and they're boosting unchecked.

WHAT. THE. FOOK. IS. GOING. ON.

Last edited:
I hate this match making too, when I am able to win it's because I draw the card I need to win but when I lose it because I never ever can get the cards I need. It's so frustrating 😫

I was winning with my decks just fine until yesterday, now I seem to draw uncomfortable combinations of cards in all my hands and all the opponents I face are playing a Nilfgaard Seize deck, which just happens to completely shut down my two best decks.

Just lost a game with again the most pathetically biased RNG possible, involving Bribery which created Roche.

I'm going to post a question in the ask a dev thread, if there's a reason why some of us feel like we're being cheated?

Just lost a game with again the most pathetically biased RNG possible, involving Bribery which created Roche.

I'm going to post a question in the ask a dev thread, if there's a reason why some of us feel like we're being cheated?
Did you get a reply from the devs? I’m really not enjoying this game at the minute because I’m so completely fooked off with utter pish matchmaking against counter decks.

Just noticed this thread. Maybe it's been bumped or something. I'm new to the game and I posted similar complaints very early on:

Top Bottom