Matchmaking still flawed?

+
Simple story; I got bored of Yen/Eredin always facing Gerni or SK/Discard, so made an Eldain deck. Instantly all I faced was Brouver, I believe this is because Brouver can move units, which obviously "counters" (CDPR's favourite word) the traps and low units that don't tend to suffer as badly from Pitfall. Why does the game do this? No idea. Balance? Replayability? It does suck, though - they should just remove the algorithm completely and base it on win %age/MMR, end of story. It'd be a much more rewarding experience.

Does anybody not think we could, sometimes, be really playing against the computer instead of an actual player? I mean, there's already code there and it's not exactly a thriving community anymore, so is this scenario possible? You can't actually see the oppo cards, so that time "someone" playing Big Monsters lays down, for example, Scorch and you're thinking "WTAF" - could it just be a 1P game?!

Guest 4339135

It's every day the same. I play many matches and everything in this game works against me. Yesterday I lost nine times in a row the coin flipp --> 9 times!! The chance that this happens is under 1% and the best thing about that, this happened not the first time to me. Today for example, I had to begin six times in a row again. On the other hand, to go second never happened 9 times in a row and it will never happen, because it's like I said before --> not a 1% chance for that. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. How I'm drawing constantly bad - I'm not talking of some games - I'm talking about the last 40-50 games in this week and many games more in the months before, has nothing to do with bad luck anymore. My opponents draw every single card that they need, they can do what they want and never brick or draw bad. I'm really pissed off and I will not accept this anymore and I do not accept this anymore. I give CDPR the chance to correct this and take some consequences, otherwise somebody else has to take the consenquences.

Theres definetly something fishi in the casual matchmaking for me.... i have over 400hrs in gwent (since homecoming), im never faced a scorh,igni or yirden, never, not one match.... yesterday i wanted to try out this immune mourntart deck, played 5 match, one of them mourntart got scorched, the other one is igni, the i thought it would be so funny, if the next match i get yirdened, boom, suddenly bran discard plays yirden... so can someone explain me this?
Partially yes. If you don't see these cards then there are two possibilities:
1.The opponent does not have them in deck.
2.The opponent does not have them in the hand, but they are part of the deck.
Post automatically merged:

It's every day the same. I play many matches and everything in this game works against me. Yesterday I lost nine times in a row the coin flipp --> 9 times!! The chance that this happens is under 1% and the best thing about that, this happened not the first time to me. Today for example, I had to begin six times in a row again. On the other hand, to go second never happened 9 times in a row and it will never happen, because it's like I said before --> not a 1% chance for that. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. How I'm drawing constantly bad - I'm not talking of some games - I'm talking about the last 40-50 games in this week and many games more in the months before, has nothing to do with bad luck anymore. My opponents draw every single card that they need, they can do what they want and never brick or draw bad. I'm really pissed off and I will not accept this anymore and I do not accept this anymore. I give CDPR the chance to correct this and take some consequences, otherwise somebody else has to take the consenquences.
This might not make you happy, but: the chance that this happens in 9 isolated tries might be roughly 0.2%, however
1.if you are playing more matches, the likelyhood rises
2.the chance of there being at least one player that gets frequently and far above average screwed by RNG is not zero and will increase with the number of players.

Last edited:
Here my 2 cents, because at this point became annoying...
whyny whiny post
"
MATCHMAKING STILL RIGGED?
"
Every time I make a completely new deck, I have around 8 win streak in a row. First time I lose, the Algorithm finds out what counters my deck, it hasn't been sure by then.
Once it finds out what's beaten me, every single opponent has similar deck.

Maybe it's just incredibely bad luck with match draws, but ever since I lost against Nilfgaard with my Eldain deck, every single opponent plays Nilfgard. Now I have 50% win rate instead of 100% but what suks is that they all play meta-tournament Morvran, sometimes Usurper... here on 1 pic, I think it's not just my imagination...
My first loss vs MO? Next 2 pvps are MO, but because of win streak, Algorithm changed its mind.
First loss vs NG? Next 7 pvps vs NG.
What finally's pissed me off enough to write a whining-post is, that they all 6 NGs were the same decks and 1 Usurper...

Not like it's the first time, before I had similar problem using SK bloodloust, and earlier some NG... Streaks. First loss, then every opponent has the same deck as the guy I lost against...
Why am I not getting all the decks I drew earlier when used other deck?
Whine
Or maybe suddenly everyone decided to play NG tournament meta decks...

update: 2 more NGs in a row.... I guess I gotta lose vs other faction so I'll be matched against only 2 factions whatsoever... till I lose vs 3rd.. xd

Last edited:
Okay, let's try something different. Below is a screenshot of my match history from rank 3 to 0. It's a big image, so you'll have to open it in a different window.

Match History.jpg

No pattern there. A lot of Monster decks, but that's logical because of popularity thereof. Interestingly, there was a distinct lack of SK decks, while they are suppose to be quite good. Even ST came around more often.

Now, I am not going to make screenshots of everything. Regardless, the other matches shows a similar pattern. A bit more SK in casual, while Monsters still remains the most played faction.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
maybe it wasn't your new deck and the Algorithm's already had the knowledge it needed? idk, I got 7NG in a row (actually 9/11 matches) since this loss...
As for mirrors, idk about you but I hate mirror matches xd

rrc

Forum veteran
Okay, let's try something different. Below is a screenshot of my match history from rank 3 to 0. It's a big image, so you'll have to open it in a different window.

No pattern there. A lot of Monster decks, but that's logical because of popularity thereof. Interestingly, there was a distinct lack of SK decks, while they are suppose to be quite good. Even ST came around more often.

Now, I am not going to make screenshots of everything. Regardless, the other matches shows a similar pattern. A bit more SK in casual, while Monsters still remains the most played faction.
Damnit! That is awesome win streak! Which leader/deck you play (not the exact deck please)?

Sometimes I really wonder about the common sense of this community...

How is it that they would apply the same "rigged" matchmaking algorithm to the player base in its entirety and still have many people with a positive win rate? Or do you think that CDPR is out to get you, yes YOU, and that you're a victim of the system?

Do some of you even consider what you're saying?

Bring out the tinfoil hats lol.

Sometimes I really wonder about the common sense of this community...

How is it that they would apply the same "rigged" matchmaking algorithm to the player base in its entirety and still have many people with a positive win rate? Or do you think that CDPR is out to get you, yes YOU, and that you're a victim of the system?

Do some of you even consider what you're saying?

Bring out the tinfoil hats lol.

Speaking of "tinfoil hats" I wonder what special privileges you have that allows you to continuously post in such a passive aggressive manner. I've seen it quite a few times now, actually almost every time I see a post from you. This is a forum...people discuss the game and when quite a few people observe the same pattern you can't blame them for trying to get answers.

Speaking of "tinfoil hats" I wonder what special privileges you have that allows you to continuously post in such a passive aggressive manner. I've seen it quite a few times now, actually almost every time I see a post from you. This is a forum...people discuss the game and when quite a few people observe the same pattern you can't blame them for trying to get answers.

Right, point taken.

Users here have every right to discuss their concerns, there's no denying that. However, there are some discussed topics that I find heavy handed or oblivious.

Contrary to what you may think, I'm not really here to get on people's nerves. Yet I do want to point out theories such as the one discussed here all while making a strong (if not obnoxious) comment in an attempt to make these users question their own thoughts.

Perhaps it's not the best way to go about it but I believe that I'm allowed to tend towards an extreme if others users on here are tending towards the other extreme.

Right, point taken.

Users here have every right to discuss their concerns, there's no denying that. However, there are some discussed topics that I find heavy handed or oblivious.

Contrary to what you may think, I'm not really here to get on people's nerves. Yet I do want to point out theories such as the one discussed here all while making a strong (if not obnoxious) comment in an attempt to make these users question their own thoughts.

Perhaps it's not the best way to go about it but I believe that I'm allowed to tend towards an extreme if others users on here are tending towards the other extreme.

I don't look at is as an extreme. As someone who has been gaming many years I know how passionate people get about the games they love. What angers them and pushes them to this so called extreme is that they really want to enjoy the game and since the state of the game is kinda busted at times, quite often actually..they naturally get frustrated with the issues they perceive to be the cause of their frustration. Poking them in the side just amplifies that frustration so I would agree that your method is not the best. If people really disliked the game so much as to bash it, they would not bother and go play something else. I myself am at times guilty of borderline bashing but it is because I do love the game and would love to see it in the best state that it can be. If anyone is to blame for these misunderstandings I'd say it's the devs. One post confirming or denying this theory would put the subject to rest.

I don't look at is as an extreme. As someone who has been gaming many years I know how passionate people get about the games they love. What angers them and pushes them to this so called extreme is that they really want to enjoy the game and since the state of the game is kinda busted at times, quite often actually..they naturally get frustrated with the issues they perceive to be the cause of their frustration. Poking them in the side just amplifies that frustration so I would agree that your method is not the best. If people really disliked the game so much as to bash it, they would not bother and go play something else. I myself am at times guilty of borderline bashing but it is because I do love the game and would love to see it in the best state that it can be. If anyone is to blame for these misunderstandings I'd say it's the devs. One post confirming or denying this theory would put the subject to rest.

You've likely hit the nail on the head for what pushes people to post some far fetched theories; we're here for the love of the game with whatever differences in opinion we may share.

I think the devs may be reticent about posting on such matters because they don't want to implicate that they'll be here to answer every little concern that comes up from a fan of the game. It can be a double-edged sword because users might get a false sense of expectation that CDPR will be at their behest to address their quarrels with the game (some merited and others not).

One post confirming or denying this theory would put the subject to rest.
Here is one, even if it's quite old.
Deck configuration doesn't influence matchmaking.
That was the case a year ago -- and I don't see any reason why things would have changed.

This old thread from 2017 claims that matchmaking was rigged back then, yet that RED response proves it to be false. Most likely it's the same thing again with this thread; subjective experiences as the basis of conclusions. Also, as has already been pointed out, it would make zero sense that the "rigging" only affects some players, and not everyone.

Deleted a few posts for turning this thread into "let's ridicule and insult others", and politics. Not a good idea.

Rules say the following:
When perusing the forums, you will often find people passionately expressing their opinions, which may differ from yours. Regardless of these differences, please, keep the following basic rules in mind:

• always treat others with kindness and respect
  • do not insult others and try not to easily take offense
In particular, it is prohibited to:
  • ridicule other users, post content which insults individuals or social groups, or spoil (in a broad sense) the fun of other users
  • write about political and world-view topics; this does not apply to discussions about fictional topics connected with the worlds depicted in the CDPR products

No more ridiculing, no more insults, no more hostility. Deletions are only the first step; please don't make us go further.

subjective experiences as the basis of conclusions.
You yourself are not hesitating to set your subjective perception as basis of conclusions (my personal experience), so how can you be sure that this is the case here? How can you be sure, that it is not you, who is subjective here?

it would make zero sense that the "rigging" only affects some players, and not everyone.
That is false statement. Manipulation attempts typically aim only for part of "population" (meant as statistical term), not all elements of whole. At example it would make sense to apply obstacles only to those, who spent less than certain limit of money in the game. If there would have been some kind of rigging, it would be irrational to try to apply it to all, especially if this game has 0-sum balance, which means, it would be even technically impossible to apply it globally to everybody.

You yourself are not hesitating to set your subjective perception as basis of conclusions (my personal experience), so how can you be sure that this is the case here? How can you be sure, that it is not you, who is subjective here?
I'm subjective, yes, but only in that I'm trusting the RED post that I linked and quoted.

If you check the old thread from 2017 that I linked, you will find a post from me -- a post that suspects matchmaking is rigged. I've simply changed my view based on official information. It's objectively true that CDPR have the full data, whereas we, the players, do not.

Here is one, even if it's quite old.

That was the case a year ago -- and I don't see any reason why things would have changed.

This old thread from 2017 claims that matchmaking was rigged back then, yet that RED response proves it to be false. Most likely it's the same thing again with this thread; subjective experiences as the basis of conclusions. Also, as has already been pointed out, it would make zero sense that the "rigging" only affects some players, and not everyone.

I played plenty in Beta and NEVER thought it was rigged. Variation was there, and although you'd come across the same meta's constantly (SK/GS, NG/Reveal) that was to be expected. However, Beta was far less binary and not based on the new "play card - remove card - play card - remove card" that they turned Gwent into.

There is absolutely no doubt that there's something in this game. Whether it's matches based on deck config, or that we're playing against the game's AI instead of another person, something isn't quite right.

I'd invite everyone to try it. Play a bunch of games with Scorch or Yrden and see how many times you face big monsters or bearmasters. Take those cards out, run a deck without counters, then see who you face.

Play a bunch of games with Scorch or Yrden and see how many times you face big monsters or bearmasters.
My deck runs Yrden, and I often get big monsters matchups. I run artifact removal, and run into plenty of decks that run artifacts.

That is, of course, just an opposite example of subjective experiences. Regardless, it strengthens my existing, strong belief that what was said a year ago is still true.

There isn't even anything that CDPR could possibly gain from "rigging" the matchmaking. It would make no sense, because as evidenced by this thread and several others, it would only cause players to be upset and annoyed -- which sounds like the exact opposite of what a game developer would aim for.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom