Matchmaking still flawed?

+
I'm only level 4, but every battle I fight against level 30+. How can I have any chance with starter cards?!

Repair MATCHMAKING!!!

This seems to be an issue in most card games. I get absolutely crushed in ESL due to not having spent money on the game and starting late.

As mentioned before: no statistics - no facts. I don't see profit benefits to do this type of (rigged) matchmaking for this type of game. Is there someone with suspicions who could give arguments why this would be done?

Ok help me out with this one. I just lost against a SK deck, and they had played in the match the following cards:

Frenzied D'ao, Jutta, Roach, Witcher Trio, Ulfhedin, Morkvarg, Bekkers Mirror, Siga's Rite, Cerys, Birna and Hjalmar.

That's THIRTEEN Gold cards, without a single issue in mulliganing either Roach or the Witchers (also think that's rigged). The total points spent on these thirteen cards is 105, which left them with 60 points to spend on TWELVE cards, an average at best of 5 points per card. Can someone please explain how this is possible/feasible? To get EVERY SINGLE GOLD CARD out is absolutely mystifying - if it's LIKELY then how broken is this?!

I don't understand how CDPR think it's worthwhile having a card game that matches up so stupidly, unfairly and pointlessly. It stinks of rigging/fixing.

But why? Can you explain what would be the reason behind this supposed rigging? How would this benefit the game's popularity? I don't see it.

But why? Can you explain what would be the reason behind this supposed rigging? How would this benefit the game's popularity? I don't see it.

It's a common fact, as per studies conducted by EA with regards FIFA, that by ensuring you lose sometimes you become more determined to spend or play again. FIFA do it with Ultimate Team, it makes you want to buy more cards to get a better team, when in reality it's more often than not down to matchmaking.

https://wccftech.com/ea-matchmaking-algorithm/

Don't get me wrong, Thronebreaker online is broke a.f. anyway with far too many removals and far too little actual synergy; the game is won or lost on the deal order. But that's kinda the point - by having a game that's won or lost on the order of the deal - and VERY easy to 'fix' - it's really easy to control the patterns. I've spent nothing on the game and find myself stuck on 14. Doesn't really matter what deck I try, I win a couple, lose a few. I play against NG far more than any other deck, mainly because I struggle against them particularly when good ol' Random Reveal comes into play and miraculously goes against me.

Next time you play and think "wow, the opponent seems to have gotten EVERY card to counter my plan" watch what happens with the "Good Game" - you'll get a GG from the opponent BEFORE you even get to the final screen. Why? How? Easy - part of the same algorithm, the good game is designed to appease you a little so you don't quite rage quit. The problem CDPR have is the game itself is so deeply flawed many of us are only hanging in there by the faintest of margins - by rigging the deal and matchmaking, it's causing far more unrest and isn't having the same impact as EA's study. But that's why EA are, well, EA and CDPR are the size they are.

Interesting link. EA matchmaking to stimulate buying items to be better equipped to win or at least to be on "equal equipment level" as your opponent, that seems to me pay-to-win next level manipulation craziness. But Gwent is a different game. If you get beaten by the perfect counter deck, buying kegs/cards won't help you. You will automatically lose sometimes, due to chance and (counter) meta. No need to have this rigged.

There is about 7% chance that Zoltan:Scoundrel is the bottom card when there's 15 cards in the deck. Zoltan was the bottom-card in my deck for at least 10 times in a row. Everytime I shuffled back the graveyard in deck Zoltan was again the bottomcard. And I do shuffle the graveyard back in deck 3-4 times a game. Thus being able to play almost every card multiple times, but heck, I didn't even draw Zoltan at all and so lost the game since the combo relies on him. So, minimal 10 times x a 7% chance. It's like in poker to draw ace - king 10 times in a row. I call it suspicious at least.

By the way, the matchmaking isn't necessarily rigged. I tend to do ok against actual human opponents. What's rigged is when you're against the AI/computer. CDPR have NEVER denied the fact that they pit you against the AI when matchmaking isn't possible.

You know the ones - the games when you get a "good game" about 5 seconds before the final screen turns up? Those games when your "opponent" happens to have the exact right cards (I've just lost a game vs ST where the "opponent" had two sappers played, then when I played Frightener artefact they magically produced a bomb heaver. What **cking ST deck with 2 sappers ALSO has a heaver for **cks sake???!)? Those games when the opponent ends the game having miraculously played every conceivable gold, while five of yours are still in the deck at the end? Those games where they get the Witcher trio in R3, as well as their epidemic, their scorch, their Sihil and all the supporting artefacts?

I keep experimenting, went with a Phoenix heavy deck with Caranthir and Hillock to give me a big ol' R3 advantage. Very first game, It's Eithne, last round up pops epidemic. The whole point of the deck, done with one card. It makes the whole experience really, really loathesome. Like any game, I want to beat its shitty systems, but CDPR have stitched it up so tight there's nothing you can do. And as soon as I binned off the Phoenix experimence, I played 3 in a row of Magna Division + Nauzicaa Sergeant. It's MIND NUMBINGLY SHIT!

That right there is what makes Thronebreaker Online such complete and utter bollox.

Last edited:
By the way, the matchmaking isn't necessarily rigged. I tend to do ok against actual human opponents. What's rigged is when you're against the AI/computer. CDPR have NEVER denied the fact that they pit you against the AI when matchmaking isn't possible.

Well, if CDPR had so many AI bots, we'd have more opponents in practice mode ;)

As frequently mentioned, if you suspect that you are playing against a bot in ranked or casual, you can always send a ticket to CDPR so they can investigate: https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support

I have contacted and asked for a response, I heard nothing. Same as with EA, always denied that there's AI interference when confronted about their momentum engine. It's clearly there.

Any game whereby you get a "good game" before you can even get to the screen which allows you to click the "GG" button is against AI, in my opinion. The coincidences are too startling. Last game, I had two Sappers in my deck, neither showed up, R3 computer throws down Sihil. I throw down Sihil, he has Dimetrium Bomb. Wow, how amazing, would you believe it. Lost by 2 points, opponent had every little synergy zeal-boost (NR deck) needed just at the right time.

To be honest, if it's not AI then I'm even more disappointed in the deal mechanics and how unbalanced they are. I've been begging forever to even the deal so you both get cards in the same order. It won't solve everything, but it's a start - I mentioned elsewhere (again, when it felt very much like AI in play) I'd lost to a Skellige deck and when I checked their graveyard, then added it up, they had played EVERY gold card they could possibly have had. Things like that are either wildly against the odds, or rigged. It doesn't make any sense if it's NOT rigged.

Whatever the situation, CDPR either need to 'fess up or explain why its such a shit show.

It's hardly a quantum leap. They have an AI in the pay-to-play game of Thronebreaker. They then completely 'scorch' Gwent Beta, GOG posts user numbers that are plummeting and yet we can find a player any hour of any day? I just don't buy it.

They can't advertise it, but Thronebreaker Online (the abomination that replaced Gwent) is just single player, single match version of Thronebreaker. No story, no rewards, just you vs computer. Whether it's to improve the AI, make up numbers, or whatever I don't know - but if I'm playing against a real person every time, I'd be absolutely astonished.

DRK3

Forum veteran
OK, so i am pretty sure i just faced a Bot in Gwent...

I dont stand by the accusation that its CDPR that is putting these bots in the game, but i think its players that are doing it, to get free rewards.

I just had a weird ass scenario of Leshen-Beasts (me) vs Eredin-double immune Ciri Dash (him). Im using rare cards, he was using rare cards for MO.

His name had chinese characters, but what made me so sure he was bot was the last 2 turns: i was ahead 20 something points, but he had 3CA with the Ciri Dashes.

He plays Eyck, but since i had used my leader ability on an Immune Wolfie, it bricked... Then, the scenario was so complex any player would take time to analyze, but at lightspeed he plays Ocvist, buffs with a Ale my Werecat to above 8pt so he could use his eyck, kills it with Eyck, does massive damage on his own row, then uses Ocvist.

Any player, good or bad would try to find a better way (which there was), but he proceeded to do these moves at inhuman speed, like an algorhytm which isnt optimized for such weird scenarios, so acts weirdly.

I know there's been some spam of chinese threads on this forum, im starting to suspect something goin on...
Post automatically merged:

OK, so i am pretty sure i just faced a Bot in Gwent...

I dont stand by the accusation that its CDPR that is putting these bots in the game, but i think its players that are doing it, to get free rewards.

I just had a weird ass scenario of Leshen-Beasts (me) vs Eredin-double immune Ciri Dash (him). Im using rare cards, he was using rare cards for MO.

His name had chinese characters, but what made me so sure he was bot was the last 2 turns: i was ahead 20 something points, but he had 3CA with the Ciri Dashes.

He plays Eyck, but since i had used my leader ability on an Immune Wolfie, it bricked... Then, the scenario was so complex any player would take time to analyze, but at lightspeed he plays Ocvist, buffs with a Ale my Werecat to above 8pt so he could use his eyck, kills it with Eyck, does massive damage on his own row, then uses Ocvist.

Any player, good or bad would try to find a better way (which there was), but he proceeded to do these moves at inhuman speed, like an algorhytm which isnt optimized for such weird scenarios, so acts weirdly.

(EDIT) sorry, forgot the most important part: the match ended in a draw, but it could have been a win for him

I know there's been some spam of chinese threads on this forum, im starting to suspect something goin on...

Just my 2 cents. I have often found that my winning and losing comes in streaks. When winning, I seem to get every card I need to counter my opponent. Now it could be a coincidence, but after I win several games in a row, I find myself against decks that draw into all of their good cards. And at the same time, I'm lucky to get one gold. Also, my mulligans keep redrawing the same cards I threw away the first time. Sometimes it just seems like I am either destined to win or lose based on my draws alone.

Last edited:
I can see what everyone is saying here, sometimes the coincidences are seriously suspect.

But then there are other times where I get the ridiculously good hand or have the perfect counters to what my opponent is playing, and I am positive I am not a bot :)

I can see what everyone is saying here, sometimes the coincidences are seriously suspect.

But then there are other times where I get the ridiculously good hand or have the perfect counters to what my opponent is playing, and I am positive I am not a bot :)

This! It's a mix of chance/luck and of course deck build. With chance everything is possible including extreme situations, especially when you play a lot. And people tend to remember extreme situations better ;)

Only a bot would say that.... :)

All too often it doesn't feel "real". Whether it's just the game that's broken/unbalanced creating suspicion, people able to use bots or there is an AI interface more often than a real person, nobody will ever know for sure outside of CDPR.

Too much of it looks like AI to me. Another giveaway - when the cards start 'flashing' on and off during your opponents turn, as if he's moving the cursor all over the place. I think it's just a way of 'looking like' there's someone there. Do you ever spend time moving your cursor around like that? I sure as hell don't. Whenever I play the very few games that feel real, it never happens, but as soon as you start seeing the cards doing that flashing, you're going to lose. Try it.

Do you ever spend time moving your cursor around like that?
I do, sometimes. Just dragging my cursor back and forth over the cards in my hand while waiting for the opponent to play a card.
I'm also certain that I am not a bot. I don't even understand binary.

So as a test, loaded it up. Picked MO deck. Play ranked. NG, again, it's all I ever play against.

Went like this:
Me - Rotfiend
Op - Cantarella, played spear (Rotfiend now ineffective). One damage to Rot.
Me - Jonny, boost by 5 to 8
Op - Geralt, destroys Jonny, one damage to Rot.
Me - Vran Warrior
Op - Triss, reveals a card with 4 power, destroys Vran. Voorhan now reveals my dragon, boosts Triss by 4.
Me - Cyclops - Rotfiend - 2 damage + 4 damage, all to Triss.
Op - Viper Witcher, reveals the dragon (again)
Me - quit this shower.

I had two golds. The oppo played 3 in their first 3 cards, then banished one of my highest provision cards. Am I the only one going through this unbearably bad gameplay every time I try? Does CDPR want people to quit, do they want rid of the game?

Top Bottom