Matchmaking still flawed?

+
But we might disagree on how players are kept engaged. For me the objective is to encourage users to buy new cards. A way of doing this would be by designing a system that sets up games with a back and forth, whereby if you lose to the same superior counterplay cards you would need to get cards to counteract the patterns you are being shown. Thereby boosting sales.

That's a double-edged sword, though. I understand wanting to motivate players to buy new cards, but it can just as easily backfire and demotivate them to continue. It's already bad enough that some players get annoyed just by facing certain factions/decks (over and over again). Hard counters are even more painful.

To program a matchmaking scheme that deliberately sets up counters to any deck or back and forth play is a daunting task requiring significant AI. Now it would be simple to base matchups on some features of a deck (such as faction, leader, or total provision cost) as this really only requires data collection, but reasoning like, “card w is a counter to the combination of cards x and y except when card z is present” requires significant sophistication — a level of effort not worth the minimal return. I’m willing to accept the developers statement on this one.

To program a matchmaking scheme that deliberately sets up counters to any deck or back and forth play is a daunting task requiring significant AI. Now it would be simple to base matchups on some features of a deck (such as faction, leader, or total provision cost) as this really only requires data collection, but reasoning like, “card w is a counter to the combination of cards x and y except when card z is present” requires significant sophistication — a level of effort not worth the minimal return. I’m willing to accept the developers statement on this one.
Here's a conspiracy theory for you, match making always takes longer when you homebrew a new deck...:confused:

im playing gwent casually, im ignoring ranked games

but last few months gwent playing just for fun (and some "progress" in collecting cards etc) is ruined by ill matchmaking

because im all the time facing higher, much higher ranked opponents (rank 0 mostly, under 5 like all the time, my top is 11)

arena is totally random, which is not as much fun to enjoy

there should be some limit of which rank im matching, like my (top) rank -5 levels

its ridiculous, that fun seasonal mode is bigger challenge than ranked games

remake arena or fix matchmaking to be there some fun in casual gwent again

im playing gwent casually, im ignoring ranked games

You shouldn't. If you want to be matched against opponents on your level, you should play ranked.

Casual is more of a trial ground for new decks and, typically, also for higher ranking players.

You shouldn't. If you want to be matched against opponents on your level, you should play ranked.

Casual is more of a trial ground for new decks and, typically, also for higher ranking players.

i dont like to play vs the same decks again and again, thats my experience with ranked games and now in seasonal too

matchmaking should be fixed and/or arena remaked to be fun

there shouldnt be ill matchmaking thats pairing me almost all the time with rank 0 players in fun mode (otherwise not great fun)

it used to be variable, some lower, some higher ranked players, which seems fair, but matchmaking is likely based on (number of) cards, the only thing that changed on my side during last months

Last edited:
ive just reached prestige level 8

i was grinding a lot during covid-19 madness :D

maybe thats the reason why im facing much tougher competition now

but thats not changing my point of view, many games in arena or with random rules in seasonal doesnt mean im looking for challenging games, which im now facing all the time

Yeah, that's the reason. I'm P8 too and have the same experience as you.

but thats not changing my point of view, many games in arena or with random rules in seasonal doesnt mean im looking for challenging games, which im now facing all the time

I rarely play Ranked and I loved to play Seasonal. But now this matches can be really frustrating because I play against very high level players only and I feel that the fun is gone. My winrate is still great, but it feels more competitive now and I have less fun.

So in what modes did matchmaking change? Is it just Seasonal? Did the developers ever give some sort of a statement, explaining everything?

My winrate is still great, but it feels more competitive now and I have less fun.

m,y winrate sucks now, which is really annoying if i have to play 3 hours instead of 2 each day to get all bonus well rested points

btw thats the only "fair" matchmaking, by winrate

higher winrate players should be matching opponents with high winrates

lower winrate players should be matching opponents with low winrates

personally i dont have problem to be matched with anybody, i like variability, but i just hate to be matched all the time vs same (high) level of opponents

With all the respect but if you are prestige 8 you should be experient enought to play against pro rank and rank 1.

I am prestge 4 (or 5 i cant remember right now) and i am already at rank 1.

But i do agree we need to have more filters in unranked mode, like block a faction, choose the level of the opponent or something like that. A lot of times we are trying new decks, new moves and dont whant to play with competitve players only to lose the game.

Also a chat can do that. If you are trying a new deck you can say to your opponent that and ask if he lets you to try the new deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, ive been trying to finish my Stockpile mastery, which is an absolute nightmare but almost over (last 10 wins).

I decided to try unranked, as i figure i got more chance there than in ranked...

For 6 straight matches, i actually win R1 or 2 and go to R3 with CA, and still lose because all 6 had a f*****g scenario. This is some serious BS, i pack heaver, i barely find any scenarios, i ditch it, i face 6 consecutive decks that rely on it to win.

So, ive been trying to finish my Stockpile mastery, which is an absolute nightmare but almost over (last 10 wins).

I decided to try unranked, as i figure i got more chance there than in ranked...

For 6 straight matches, i actually win R1 or 2 and go to R3 with CA, and still lose because all 6 had a f*****g scenario. This is some serious BS, i pack heaver, i barely find any scenarios, i ditch it, i face 6 consecutive decks that rely on it to win.
Yet there are ppl here who think it's some kind of conspiracy lol the algorithm matches you based on the cards you and your selected opponent has. I can only imagine they designed it that way to ensure the match isn't too one sided but at the end of the day it does more harm than good when there are things like scenarios which are so binary. I t checks for counters, if you have heaver then the match would most likely swing in your favor i.e. A 5 for 13 or 14 and therefore adding it means the algorithm doesn't prioritize those opponents.

All it should do is match you based on rank (+/-1) but that's clearly not all it does.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yet there are ppl here who think it's some kind of conspiracy lol the algorithm matches you based on the cards you and your selected opponent has. I can only imagine they designed it that way to ensure the match isn't too one sided but at the end of the day it does more harm than good when there are things like scenarios which are so binary. I t checks for counters, if you have heaver then the match would most likely swing in your favor i.e. A 5 for 13 or 14 and therefore adding it means the algorithm doesn't prioritize those opponents.

All it should do is match you based on rank (+/-1) but that's clearly not all it does.

Im not implying its a conspiracy or not, i only stated a fact - i was faced with 6 consecutive opponents, who weren't that good as they lost card advantage against bloody Stockpile in R1 or 2, then they were saved by a scenario i couldnt counter on R3 (2 NG balls, 1 ST elf, 1 MO Haunt, 1 SK and 1 NR siege). And that is bullsh*t.

The worst part is that im using Stockpile, which is freakin weak, so even if i want to push R2 to force scenario, i really cant with this stupid leader. Stockpile could have 170 provisions and it still would not be picked over other NR abilities.
Im being more carried by AA into Kerack frigate than actual charges by leader, even with using them on Foltest Pride or the vampire to get 2pts out of them.

Also, i was not playing ranked, it was unranked, stockpile on ranked is for masochists worst than me.

There is one fatal flaw in your argument; why you? Why do the others get a favorable match-up, but you do not? Regardless, CDPR has already confirmed there is no match-fixing going on.

Not saying this is going on but it is possible to design a system that matches people based on the deck they are playing because it's already been done in that other card game along with MMR they also use this. Maybe its a case of confirmation bias but at times I have felt like there was something weird going on when I change deck/ factions/ archetypes as well

" (Deck Weight ) we'll do a secondary check that takes into consideration they deck they're playing. This new system should ensure that players are more accurately matched on both their skill and deck strength"

This is used in their casual "play que" they are upfront about it so you can't really fault them.

which is the main reason to stay in ranked even if you don't care about ranked at least you only need to deal with mmr.

The matchmaking is 100% without a doubt rigged. I can tell you that much I have no doubt about. I lose matches to counter decks then get matched up against something even less viable than MO that Ive been trying to play. What a disaster. I crush my opponent then get matched against NG prisonment with like ten locks they steal my tallest unit, play cards like vincent and just destroy my board, or they play the same spy twice in a row and steal my cards ect. Game design is flawed, NG counters everything apparently. I loved the wild hunt but this game is toxic and rage inducing. Before you @ me just understand Im saying the game no longer fun. Its a one sided greif fest and the devs should feel bad about the state of gwent. I won't be buying cyerpunk after my experience with this game. I feel utterly betrayed by CDPR and the game feels completely unfair at this point. Also someone said MO is viable just not in pro rank. That's literally hilarious contradictory statement. WOW The game is pretty flawed, this patch made it worse. Id rather go back to before merchants of oferi honestly at least the game was on a path that could be fixed, now its so convoluted that I don't think they can fix it. Scenrio and poison ruined gwent, where's the passion CDPR? Seems like all you care about is selling boards and the kegs for your new expansion. Ive had many toxic match ups since this patch aired, people spamming they're taunts over and over and showing as much disrespect for whatever I play as they can. Making me wait the full timer after taking they're turn ect. Good game cdpr. You should just go back to single player games the only good thing in this game is the art and lore beyond that playing this game is not fun anymore.

It’s a little wonky for sure. I don’t buy it’s not set up on some degree. I made one deck and had never ever faced anyone with it. I play it just for fun and the first person I face off with has dang near the exact same deck... so I know there is some kind of wonky match up going on. IMO if you’re playing ranked, it should randomly match you up with anyone in that ranking or close to it. I don’t get why I keep getting matched against shieldwall decks but I feel if I was able to counter it with something, I’d run into every deck but sheildwall (yes I know there’s not much that really hard counters shield wall right now but just pretend a counter was out there. You’d never run into the deck you intended to counter).

It’s a little wonky for sure. I don’t buy it’s not set up on some degree. I made one deck and had never ever faced anyone with it. I play it just for fun and the first person I face off with has dang near the exact same deck... so I know there is some kind of wonky match up going on. IMO if you’re playing ranked, it should randomly match you up with anyone in that ranking or close to it. I don’t get why I keep getting matched against shieldwall decks but I feel if I was able to counter it with something, I’d run into every deck but sheildwall (yes I know there’s not much that really hard counters shield wall right now but just pretend a counter was out there. You’d never run into the deck you intended to counter).
THIS. Its simple. They are rigging match ups to try and keep you at a fifty percent win loss. Good game cdpr. You should feel bad about this game. Keeping players grinding endlessly to try and get to pro rank cause you purposely designed it that way. Im never buying a game from cdpr again. Lies..............
Post automatically merged:

I mean I find it very funny that when i run defender all the sudden I face an opponent with a purify. When I dont run defender no purify ever. Same with many other strats and cards. Ill face everything that counters me then the next match up its like they selected the guy I can beat up on. Totally rigged. 100% without a doubt.

Top Bottom